The 42 Negative Confessions

bambubambu Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
From the Egyptian Book of the Dead:

When our body dies, the soul travels with the Great God Ra through the hours of Tuat to our judgment within the Great Hall of Ma'at. During this judgment, our heart is weighed by Anubis against Ma'at's feather. If the heart is lighter or heavier than her feather, our souls are punished or even destroyed by being fed to Ammit. If the heart weighs the same, then we are allowed to spend time at rest before being born again to continue the lessons our souls must learn.
Once we have completed all our lessons, we are allowed into the Abode of Osiris, the Eternal Field of Reeds, where we shall live amongst the Gods and Goddesses as one of them.
As our knowledge of obtaining Ma'at progresses, we are expected to incorporate these principles in our lives. These principles are known as "Negative Confessions" because they usually begin with a negative statement, and are simply affirmations of acts we have avoided in our lives to live by Ma'at.

1. Have you done wrong?
2. Have you robbed with violence?
3. Have you stolen?
4. Have you slain another?
5. Have you defrauded the offering?
6. Have you reduced measures?
7. Have you plundered the Gods?

8. Have you spoken lies?
9. Have you spoken evil?
10. Have you caused pain to another?
11. Have you committed fornication?
12. Have you caused the shedding of tears?
13. Have you dealt with deceit?
14. Have you transgressed?

15. Have you dissembled?
16. Have you laid waste to the land?
17, Have you discussed secrets?
18. Have you brought false lawsuits?
19. Have you been angry but for just cause?
20. Have you defiled the wife of any man?
21. Have you caused terror?

22. Have you polluted yourself?
23. Have you been hot tempered?
24. Have you been neglectful of truthful words?
25. Have you cursed another?
26. Have you acted with insolence?
27. Have you stirred up strife?
28. Have you judged hastily?

29. Have you gossiped?
30. Have you sought for unearned honors?
31. Have you been garrulous in speech?
32. Have you done evil?
33. Have you disputed the King?
34. Have you fouled the waters?
35. Have you spoken scornfully?

36. Have you cursed a God?
37. Have you carried off goods by force?
38. Have you damaged the offerings to the Gods.
39. Have you plundered the offerings to the Blessed dead.
40. Have you stolen food from a babe?
41. Have you harmed the God of your place of birth?
42. Have you slain the cattle of the Gods?
Sound familiar?
10-commandments.jpg
ten_commandments.gif
«1

Replies

  • waterproofwaterproof Conqueror of Self On The Road to ZionPosts: 9,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^SHALOM my brother it do sounds familiar, but you do know that Man at one time had all the Laws and instructions of The Elohim Yahuwah, but man transgressed those laws just as today. But Yahuwah made Isarel the first and only nation who he gave the full laws to.
  • bambubambu Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    My problem with Israel is that, like you say they claim to be the first and only nation who god gave the full laws to, when there is evidence that they were borrowed from another nation/religion (Egypt). The Hebrews also claim to be the first monotheistic religion (one god), when there is evidence that the Pharaoh Akhenaten established a monotheistic religion far before the Hebrews. It can even be argued that Judo-Christians are polytheistic because of the Elohim and holy trinity, which are pluralistic in nature. I’m not putting down anyone’s belief system; I just think that people should search for the truth regardless of whether it goes against their beliefs or supports them.
  • black caesarblack caesar Posts: 7,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    I learned about this in History class in college. This is where the 10 commandments comes from. Props for the post.
  • ra-mes1ra-mes1 Posts: 420
    edited August 2011
    This topic has actually been presented and debated many times on these boards, but in quite some time that I know (then again, I am more off than on). "Moses" grew up in Pharaoh's palace, so the story goes. Without getting into a theo-historical debate, suffice to say that the 42 Negative Confessions were well established in Ta-meri, the beloved black land of Khamit (Egypt) for thousandssss of years prior to the alleged revelation/discovery of the 10 commandments to or by the Hebrews, by whatever means.
  • ra-mes1ra-mes1 Posts: 420
    edited August 2011
    bambu wrote: »
    My problem with Israel is that, like you say they claim to be the first and only nation who god gave the full laws to, when there is evidence that they were borrowed from another nation/religion (Egypt). The Hebrews also claim to be the first monotheistic religion (one god), when there is evidence that the Pharaoh Akhenaten established a monotheistic religion far before the Hebrews. It can even be argued that Judo-Christians are polytheistic because of the Elohim and holy trinity, which are pluralistic in nature. I’m not putting down anyone’s belief system; I just think that people should search for the truth regardless of whether it goes against their beliefs or supports them.

    great post btw, especially the bolded.... The world would be a lot different if this more people understood and felt this way.

    (oh, and not to mention the angels and saints; how is it that Christians can believe in, even pray to, Angels-- but Africans and others are "heathens" for having "Lesser deities and ancestors (same thing) as part of their spiritual cosmological framework or paradigm?)
  • waterproofwaterproof Conqueror of Self On The Road to ZionPosts: 9,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    bambu wrote: »
    My problem with Israel is that, like you say they claim to be the first and only nation who god gave the full laws to, when there is evidence that they were borrowed from another nation/religion (Egypt). The Hebrews also claim to be the first monotheistic religion (one god), when there is evidence that the Pharaoh Akhenaten established a monotheistic religion far before the Hebrews. It can even be argued that Judo-Christians are polytheistic because of the Elohim and holy trinity, which are pluralistic in nature. I’m not putting down anyone’s belief system; I just think that people should search for the truth regardless of whether it goes against their beliefs or supports them.

    FIRST OF ALL SHALOM and welcome brother bambu to the social lounge,and im looking forward to your threads and knowledge that you will be sharing

    And i fully agree with you BROTHER i cant argue for Judo-Christians because i dont deal with the Jews they are not of Issac, I deal with Hebrews. what im saying that there's a misunderstanding or under the impressions that when YAHUWAH gave ISAREL the Commandments that it was the first time YAHUWAH gave mankinds his law, and it's not, YAHUWAH laws been with mankind from the begining. but when mankind star transgressing his laws by worshiping Idol and other gods and even took YAhuwah laws and applied them to Idols God.

    And Yahuwah Choose himself a new nation of people to give his Full Laws too, The Israelites were given the Charge and duty take YAHUWAH laws to the other son's of Adam and to have them stop their sinning. Ans Yahuwah didnt take them from an existing nation but he created a new nation and give them his laws directly because the other nations trangressed his laws.

    And brother i do research and will not be up in here and said THAT YAHUWAH didnt bless Egypt, Egypt had a calling there where the light to the world, Yahuwah blessed them with knowledge but somewhere down the line his laws got transgressed and Idol worship happen. If my memory is correct and i might be wrong but i think in the Bible somewhere YAHUWAH said that he blessed Egypt but he will take away their richest ect....
  • And StepAnd Step Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    bambu wrote: »
    My problem with Israel is that, like you say they claim to be the first and only nation who god gave the full laws to, when there is evidence that they were borrowed from another nation/religion (Egypt). The Hebrews also claim to be the first monotheistic religion (one god), when there is evidence that the Pharaoh Akhenaten established a monotheistic religion far before the Hebrews. It can even be argued that Judo-Christians are polytheistic because of the Elohim and holy trinity, which are pluralistic in nature. I’m not putting down anyone’s belief system; I just think that people should search for the truth regardless of whether it goes against their beliefs or supports them.

    I agree. I think it is an argument that need not be. Man in his original state if he was created by the Creator had no need for laws. He was in his very being created righteous. All scriptures affiliated with Abrahamic tradition bear witness that man was created righteous or good. This man predates Abraham.

    Being given the Law is nothing to brag about. An Arab man I was having a discussion with pointed out to me proudly, that supposedly all of the Prophets came from where he was from. I pointed out to him that just bears witness to how messed up you were. Prophets and Law are given to unrighteous people. Righteous people have no need for law. If he had to keep sending Prophet after Prophet to you that means you were exceedingly rebellious.

    If your an adherant to Abrahamic Tradition then you can not claim to be the first monotheistic expression. How could you when the very books you subscribe to bear witness that Adam was created by the hand of God and he acknowledged him until he chose to rebel?

    The law is nothing more than the nature of the righteous that was codified and given to those who did not neccesarily have the leanings or upbringing to live it instinctively because of the condition and environment they were raised in. Cain chose to kill Abel. he know it was wrong. This was before Moses or Abraham. Adam and Eve engaged in rebellion and polytheism. They knew it was wrong. They didn't need the ten commandments to tell them that.

    Religion is not found in a book. All the book is a vehicle to get you back to your natural state.
  • bambubambu Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    waterproof wrote: »
    FIRST OF ALL SHALOM and welcome brother bambu .... Yahuwah blessed them with knowledge but somewhere down the line his laws got transgressed and Idol worship happen. If my memory is correct and i might be wrong but i think in the Bible somewhere YAHUWAH said that he blessed Egypt but he will take away their richest ect....

    Thank you brother and may peace be upon you as well. Like I said before, it is not my intention to put down any religion, but I feel that there is no religion higher than the truth. As far as idols go, the Egyptians idolized the calf(bull), which was outlawed by Moses if favor of the ram(shofar), which in turn was replaced by the fish(Christianity). If you do the knowledge these idols are not really idols at all, but more of a symbol to represent the house of the zodiac in which their gods resides. With all due respect brother, it is much deeper than which group of people god “chose.”
  • waterproofwaterproof Conqueror of Self On The Road to ZionPosts: 9,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    You are right brother it it much deeper that what group Yahuwah choosed but im not going to deny that YAHUWAH choosed Egypt to be the light of the world with all their advancement, knowledge, Univeristies, Math, Science, and many other great things. there's nothing wrong with that and nobody can take that away, just like what the Hebrews were called to do.
  • BiblicalAtheist BiblicalAtheist Prude Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
  • fiat_moneyfiat_money Posts: 16,655 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
  • alissowackalissowack Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Though there are some similarities between the 42 Negative Confessions and the 10 Commandments, I believe they both serve totally different purposes. The story leading to these confessions suggest that there is something that man can do to earn favor with God. The story leading up to the commandments suggest that man can't earn God's favor...and here are these rules to reveal why. The 10 Commandments reveals man's transgression towards God.
  • And StepAnd Step Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    alissowack wrote: »
    Though there are some similarities between the 42 Negative Confessions and the 10 Commandments, I believe they both serve totally different purposes. The story leading to these confessions suggest that there is something that man can do to earn favor with God. The story leading up to the commandments suggest that man can't earn God's favor...and here are these rules to reveal why. The 10 Commandments reveals man's transgression towards God.

    OK, how would say the ten commandments don't earn God's favor when the Book says these are my laws if you keep them here is a blessing but if you transgress them there is a cursing?
  • alissowackalissowack Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    And Step wrote: »
    OK, how would say the ten commandments don't earn God's favor when the Book says these are my laws if you keep them here is a blessing but if you transgress them there is a cursing?

    The Book also says that no one is righteous...that all righteous acts are like filthy rags.
  • bambubambu Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Seems like a pretty repetitive list.
    You are right... I believe that it was padded to reach 42.....

    There are 42 principles of Ma'at, the Ancient Egyptian personification of physical and moral law, order, and truth. In the judgement scene described in the Egyptian and the Book of the Coming/Going Forth by Day (the Book of the Dead (which evolved from the Coffin Texts and the Pyramid Texts)), there are 42 gods and goddesses of Egypt, personifying the principles of Ma'at, who ask questions of the departed, while Thoth records the answers, and the deceased's heart is weighed against the feather of Truth (Ma'at). These 42 correspond to the 42 Nomes (Governmental Units) of Egypt. If the departed successfully answers all 42, s/he becomes an Osiris.

    The number 42 appears in various contexts in Christianity. There are 42 generations (names) in the Gospel of Matthew's version of the Genealogy of Jesus; it is prophesied that for 42 months the Beast will hold dominion over the Earth (Revelation 13:5); 42 men of Beth-azmaveth were counted in the census of men of Israel upon return from exile (Ezra 2:24); God sent bears to maul 42 of the small boys who mocked Elisha for his baldness (2 Kings 2:23), etc.

    In Judaism, the number (in the Babylonian Talmud, compiled 375 AD to 499 AD) of the "Forty-Two Lettered Name" ascribed to God. Rab (or Rabhs), a 3rd century source in the Talmud stated "The Forty-Two Lettered Name is entrusted only to him who is pious, meek, middle-aged, free from bad temper, sober, and not insistent on his rights". [Source: Talmud Kidduschin 71a, Translated by Rabbi Dr. I. Epstein]. Maimonides felt that the original Talmudic Forty-Two Lettered Name was perhaps composed of several combined divine names [Maimonides "Moreh"]. The apparently unpronouncable Tetragrammaton provides the backdrop from the Twelve-Lettered Name and the Forty-Two Lettered Name of the Talmud.

    and the beat goes on......
  • bambubambu Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    alissowack wrote: »
    Though there are some similarities between the 42 Negative Confessions and the 10 Commandments, I believe they both serve totally different purposes. The story leading to these confessions suggest that there is something that man can do to earn favor with God. The story leading up to the commandments suggest that man can't earn God's favor...and here are these rules to reveal why. The 10 Commandments reveals man's transgression towards God.

    Man's transgression against god = sin ~ please see the original sin thread
  • bambubambu Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    ra-mes1 wrote: »
    great post btw, especially the bolded.... The world would be a lot different if this more people understood and felt this way.

    (oh, and not to mention the angels and saints; how is it that Christians can believe in, even pray to, Angels-- but Africans and others are "heathens" for having "Lesser deities and ancestors (same thing) as part of their spiritual cosmological framework or paradigm?)

    Thank you brother ra-mes, and likewise it is always good to hear someone with knowledge of self.
  • alissowackalissowack Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    bambu wrote: »
    Man's transgression against god = sin ~ please see the original sin thread

    I've read it and...I believe the story cheapens the potency of sin. It is suggesting that when a person "sins", it is directed towards an outside source for sin...which says that you can choose not to worship sin; that man can easily choose God if they wanted to. The Bible says we can't...and won't choose God unless He draws us to Himself.
  • And StepAnd Step Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    alissowack wrote: »
    The Book also says that no one is righteous...that all righteous acts are like filthy rags.

    Well yeah...but that doesn't answer the question that if the book says obesience to his law brings blessings, how that is not tantamount to the favor of God.
  • judahxulujudahxulu Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    my DEBUNKING THE AGENT SETI thread destroys that whole comparison to mosaic law. Search it and learn something for real. Everything most of yall think u know about khemit is filtered through white men and what those arabs who supplanted the originals allow ur favorite authors access to.
  • alissowackalissowack Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    And Step wrote: »
    Well yeah...but that doesn't answer the question that if the book says obesience to his law brings blessings, how that is not tantamount to the favor of God.

    Well, what do we consider as a blessing? Obedience is fine and all, but if God's Perspective on curses and blessings is different from man's perspective, then who is to say that obedience will provide what we perceive as a blessing?
  • bambubambu Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    alissowack wrote: »
    I've read it and...I believe the story cheapens the potency of sin. It is suggesting that when a person "sins", it is directed towards an outside source for sin...which says that you can choose not to worship sin; that man can easily choose God if they wanted to. The Bible says we can't...and won't choose God unless He draws us to Himself.

    Thank you for taking the time to check it out. I am researching this topic for more historical value than religious, but I agree that it cheapens the potency of sin.
  • bambubambu Posts: 2,582 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    judahxulu wrote: »
    my DEBUNKING THE AGENT SETI thread destroys that whole comparison to mosaic law. Search it and learn something for real. Everything most of yall think u know about khemit is filtered through white men and what those arabs who supplanted the originals allow ur favorite authors access to.

    I actually looked up this thread, but the video no longer exists and it is full of pages of you e-beefing with niggas. We have all been conditioned, but arguing who's conditioning has been conditioned only perpetrates ignorance. If you would like to challenge my intelligence or have some knowledge to drop, let us begin.
  • En-Fuego22En-Fuego22 Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    bambu wrote: »
    I actually looked up this thread, but the video no longer exists and it is full of pages of you e-beefing with niggas. We have all been conditioned, but arguing who's conditioning has been conditioned only perpetrates ignorance. If you would like to challenge my intelligence or have some knowledge to drop, let us begin.

    I hope you can bring something that has not already been said before, if so this should be good
  • judahxulujudahxulu Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    bambu wrote: »
    I actually looked up this thread, but the video no longer exists and it is full of pages of you e-beefing with niggas. We have all been conditioned, but arguing who's conditioning has been conditioned only perpetrates ignorance. If you would like to challenge my intelligence or have some knowledge to drop, let us begin.

    Bruh...first of all the 10 commandments are a figment of christian imagination and in actuality cannot be separated from the other 603 laws in the Mosaic code. Secondly, if you cared to objectively research you would find that the 42 negative confessions are personal to each tomb. There is no one canonical set of negative confessions. They are 2 totally different things. And most everybody here were tuned in for that thread i mentioned and we all know that what I broke down in there cannot be minimized to mere "e-beefing". You van save that whole conditioning speech because you the one came in here on that same ol' neophyte shtick in which your research is so lacking and/or you are so bereft of practical applications to your knowledge base that you have to draw illegitimate comparative analyses to support it. It should stand on its on.


    p.s. Dont make me uncover how Horus and Set's conflict played out like an extra-gay ancient episode of Oz.
«1
Sign In or Register to comment.