Kevin Nottingham Presents his Top 10 songs by The Foreign Exchange…What's yours?

RuffDraftRuffDraft Posts: 4,706
edited September 2011 in The Essence
foreignexchange1.jpg
Thank goodness for the Okayplayer message boards.

I’ve had some great debates and have even learned a music lesson or two but the best thing it did for my life was serve as the destination for Phonte and Nicolay to meet and create what would become The Foreign Exchange. Since their arrival in 2004, my ears have complained a lot less and their music has enhanced my quality of life. That may seem dramatic but the reality is, music is my fuel and Phonte, Nicolay, Yahzarah, Darien Brockington and every other artist that has blessed an +FE album has given me enough astounding music to keep me going for an eternity. And though I love damn near every song in their catalog, I’ve managed to compile a list of their top ten songs as a collective in no particular order.

“DAYKEEPER”
I interviewed Phonte and Nicolay and told them that if the angels in heaven were asked to make a list of songs that represented nirvana, “Daykeeper” would be at the top of list. This track, which was also nominated for a Grammy, is flawless. The lyrics, composition, mood; everything about it is perfect making the cat with the strongest jaw pause in awe of its beauty. This was also an audacious move for +FE after the beloved Connected, in terms of the sound and ushering in Muhsinah on the lead single, after most of us were accustomed to Yahzarah as the lead female vocalist. Ultimately, this track became their signature song and was and remains their checkmate move to the industry.

“COME AROUND”
“HOUSE OF CARDS”
“SINCERE”
“TAKE OFF THE BLUES”
“ALL THAT YOU ARE”
“VALEDICTION”
“TITLE THEME”
“NICS GROOVE”
“LAUGHING AT YOUR PLANS”

Rest of the Article is available here.

Kevin's chosen, what's your favourite tracks from the legendary duo?

Replies

  • RuffDraftRuffDraft Posts: 4,706
    edited August 2011
    My top 10 Foreign Exchange tracks:

    Maybe She'll Dream of Me

    Sincere

    Be Alright

    The Foreign Exchange End Theme
    *Although I prefer it without the scratches*

    All That You Are

    Nic's Groove
    'I'm more than beats, I'm more than rhymes, please, I'm not your, every day find!'

    The City Ain't The Same Without You

    Laughing at Your Plans

    Don't Wait

    Valediction

    Overall, a great catalog; with an arguable classic in their debut, Connected. Such a different take on hip hop and Tay really brings that raw lyricism to an otherwise soulful soundtrack produced by Nicolay, who is really on form in every release that they've ever put out. Wasn't as big a fan of Leave it All Behind because of their sudden change from hip hop to soul, but I enjoyed Authenticity more because I was prepared for that…

    What's your favourites from The Foreign Exchange?
  • The 3mceeThe 3mcee Posts: 588
    edited August 2011
    Raw Life is my favorite joint on connected.

    Let's Move is pretty dope also. The music reminds me of a Tom & Jerry cartoon for some damn reason. LOL
  • The 3mceeThe 3mcee Posts: 588
    edited August 2011
    Nic's Groove is also a super dope cut off of Connected

    I'm kinda like how you were when you found out the albums were totally R&B/ Soul. I still haven't picked the last two up even though a kind poster put some of there stuff up for me to check on it. I guess I am not really feeling a lot of R&B these days in general but I will say that Roots and John Legend album was banging to me. It just had a funk type feel to the album which kind of appeals to me more at this point in my life. But yeah Connected gets hella burn on my IPOD and CD player.

    Great thread
  • Sep-00Sep-00 Posts: 210
    edited August 2011
    two of my favorites. the videos make the songs better.

  • RuffDraftRuffDraft Posts: 4,706
    edited August 2011
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Raw Life is my favorite joint on connected.

    Great track, but I was never a fan of the hook...
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Let's Move is pretty dope also. The music reminds me of a Tom & Jerry cartoon for some damn reason. LOL

    Production on that track is stupid good!!! The verse from Phonte really encompasses what that album was about, an apology and celebration of the love that he felt for his girl and his kid mixed with the tribulations of being on the road and away from them:
    phonte wrote:
    Whatever you need, in this joint, I'm hopin you find
    Lookin around, seem like an appropriate time
    for me to, take my philosophies and quote it in rhymes
    and then attempt just to open your mind - you know my style, playa
    A throwback like Cherry Now & Laters
    or Sunday afternoons in the room listenin to Kaljada
    My rhymes never dramatize, applied for the job of rap, nigga
    but I was over-qualified
    Apoligize to my girl and my kid
    Told 'em, that I was sorry for the way that I lived
    A nigga always bein gone so much, been away so long
    I never realize they grown so much
    Another studio, another microphone to crush
    so I can rock your stereo and headphones and such
    In freestyles we ain't known to ***** I'm known to buck
    at any nigga snatchin that I bone to shuff
    Now let's move nigga - c'mon!
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Nic's Groove is also a super dope cut off of Connected

    I'm kinda like how you were when you found out the albums were totally R&B/ Soul. I still haven't picked the last two up even though a kind poster put some of there stuff up for me to check on it. I guess I am not really feeling a lot of R&B these days in general but I will say that Roots and John Legend album was banging to me. It just had a funk type feel to the album which kind of appeals to me more at this point in my life. But yeah Connected gets hella burn on my IPOD and CD player.

    Great thread

    OHHHHH! So soulful! Lol. Is there a more soulful hip hop record? I'll re-quote what I love about this track:

    'I'm more than beats, I'm more than rhymes, please - I'm not your everyday find!'

    One of the best rhymes that takes you back to the late 80's/early 90's with the classic introductions of an emcee ready to rip up a track; like Tribe did on Excursions:
    Q-Tip wrote:
    Back in the days when I was a teenager, before I had a status and before I had a pager'

    Dope.

    Roots and John Legend was a solid release, great covers on there... glad they hooked up so soon after How I Got Over (incredible album that we should never forget). You'd probably enjoy their last two releases because you know what to expect...
    Sep-00 wrote: »
    two of my favorites. the videos make the songs better.

    Girl in the video for 'Take off the Blues' is HOT. It's a nice track as well, really soulful favourite though against the hip hop flavour of 'Connected'?

    'I wanna Know' introduction is funny; relatable shit for everyone who's had problems in their relationships... great video, I've never seen it before; great drop!!!! :tu The whole women around the table talking all that shit about YOUR relationship is a problem for anyone; been there with that shit, unbearable 'ish, 'I don't care what your friends think, they're going to be on your side with everything that you say!!!' haha
  • The 3mceeThe 3mcee Posts: 588
    edited August 2011
    Yeah Ruff Draft i have every Roots album, even Organix. How I got Over was a solid album but for some reason I really love the album with John Legend a lot. It is one of favorite albums in a long time
  • The 3mceeThe 3mcee Posts: 588
    edited August 2011
    bignorm73 wrote: »
    All that you are>>>>>>>>>>>>


    Yeah that is another dope track!
  • RuffDraftRuffDraft Posts: 4,706
    edited August 2011
    The 3mcee wrote: »
    Yeah Ruff Draft i have every Roots album, even Organix. How I got Over was a solid album but for some reason I really love the album with John Legend a lot. It is one of favorite albums in a long time

    Nice, I don't own them all on CD! I'd like to finish the collection though!

    It's cool when we find albums that are like that though, some albums just speak to you more than others for whatever reason. For me, CYNE's Evolution Fight is one of them.
    bignorm73 wrote: »
    All that you are>>>>>>>>>>>>

    Great track, not sure if it's the best though!!
  • Sep-00Sep-00 Posts: 210
    edited August 2011
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Great track, but I was never a fan of the hook...



    Production on that track is stupid good!!! The verse from Phonte really encompasses what that album was about, an apology and celebration of the love that he felt for his girl and his kid mixed with the tribulations of being on the road and away from them:





    OHHHHH! So soulful! Lol. Is there a more soulful hip hop record? I'll re-quote what I love about this track:

    'I'm more than beats, I'm more than rhymes, please - I'm not your everyday find!'

    One of the best rhymes that takes you back to the late 80's/early 90's with the classic introductions of an emcee ready to rip up a track; like Tribe did on Excursions:



    Dope.

    Roots and John Legend was a solid release, great covers on there... glad they hooked up so soon after How I Got Over (incredible album that we should never forget). You'd probably enjoy their last two releases because you know what to expect...



    Girl in the video for 'Take off the Blues' is HOT. It's a nice track as well, really soulful favourite though against the hip hop flavour of 'Connected'?

    'I wanna Know' introduction is funny; relatable shit for everyone who's had problems in their relationships... great video, I've never seen it before; great drop!!!! :tu The whole women around the table talking all that shit about YOUR relationship is a problem for anyone; been there with that shit, unbearable 'ish, 'I don't care what your friends think, they're going to be on your side with everything that you say!!!' haha

    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    no doubt she is fine and HELL YEAH i've been through that round table bull! my old girl let ALL her single friends get in her head and she started believing ALL the bullshit they were saying and some of them didn't even know me.
  • Lou CypherLou Cypher Posts: 21,860
    edited August 2011
    Only heard the first album tbh. Nics groove and Lets Move were my favorite. and the end song.
  • RuffDraftRuffDraft Posts: 4,706
    edited September 2011
    Sep-00 wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    no doubt she is fine and HELL YEAH i've been through that round table bull! my old girl let ALL her single friends get in her head and she started believing ALL the bullshit they were saying and some of them didn't even know me.

    Hahaha yeah man, I feel you. Takes a good woman to stand by her man when all her friends are talking shit. It's funny though, because I remember either a sitcom or someone telling me that their girlfriend in the show or in real life was actually annoyed that their boyfriend was doing everything right; he was doing everything so well in fact; that she started to try and pick faults with him, just so that she could fit in with the group lol. But back to the music... this isn't the G & S lol.
    Lou Cypher wrote: »
    Only heard the first album tbh. Nics groove and Lets Move were my favorite. and the end song.

    Good picks, you may wanna check out the rest of their catalogue, but I'd start by looking at some of the top 10's people have created because it really did switch in direction, following their first release... to a lot of peoples disgust... but after the initial shock, they're all very much solid releases.
Sign In or Register to comment.