LiL Wayne just had the Biggest Year ever for a Hiphop Artist?

H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in The Reason
lil-wayne-money-smile.jpg

Wayne got out of prison two months before 2011 and since then:

"The Carter 4"* = 2X Platinum
"How to Love" = 2X Platinum
"6 Foot 7" = 2X Platinum
"She Will" = 1X Platinum
"John" = Gold

"Im On One" = 3X Platinum
"Motivation" = 1X Platinum
"Strange Clouds" = 1X Platinum
"The Motto" = 1X Platinum
"Dirty Dancer" = Gold

An even 10 Gold & Platinum plaques over the last year but we all know sales dont mean sh*t right?

Wayne did Summer-Jam in front of 50,000 and the Bamboozle festival in front of 90,000 and his "I am Still Music" tour grossed $47 million and hit America, Africa, Australia, & Europe.

Wayne was nominated for

3 AMA's,
5 Grammy awards
3 MTV Video awards
2 MTV Europe Awards
Won 3 out of 5 B.E.T awards
Won 5 out of 16 B.E.T HipHop awards

Waynes Young Money label has dropped 3 consecutive #1 albums within a year since his release (Pink Friday, Take Care, C4) and 8 Top 20 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. Spins..

Wayne signed T-Pain and Christina Milian to Young Money also in 2011

4 Different music videos from "C4" have gotten over 100 million views on Youtube in addition to Music television programming and another 25 music videos with other artists that have gotten over a combined 100 million views on Youtube.

5.5 million Twitter followers, merchandising, magazine covers, tabloid headlines, ringtones, royalties, publishing, and the game in a choke.

Lil Wayne - Mirror ft. Bruno Mars - YouTube
BostonDrogenocidecutterH-Rap 180buttuh_b

Replies

• nujerz84nujerz84 Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nelly and Em in 02 is up there
  • Aristo_V300Aristo_V300 Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    skooby2315 wrote:
    too bad his success doesnt match the quality of the music. Used to be my fav rapper too smh

Cosign this... I used to listen to Wayne all the damn time from 04-08. All the music he's been comin' out wit' now is pure unadulterated shit.
    R.D.StoneColdMikeyinfamous114genocidecutter
  • StoneColdMikeyStoneColdMikey I am what the people need. MIKEYFORMOD CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNPosts: 23,420 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Q45T wrote:
    skooby2315 wrote:
    too bad his success doesnt match the quality of the music. Used to be my fav rapper too smh

Cosign this... I used to listen to Wayne all the damn time from 04-08. All the music he's been comin' out wit' now is pure unadulterated shit.

i fuck more with songs he featured in then his solo shit cuz it seem like he rappin on those songs are better
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nujerz84 wrote:

I don't think they had the singles success, the touring, and two artists that they signed go platinum within 1 year.

• nujerz84nujerz84 Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    H-Rap 180 wrote:
    nujerz84 wrote:

I don't think they had the singles success, the touring, and two artists that they signed go platinum within 1 year.

I think Nelly could compete with Singles...Hot In Heerre and that Kelly Rowland Song was everywhere...

In terms of Sales Em got him with Eminem Show and 8 Mile Soundtrack...had the # 1 song, album and movie in the US at the same time. Em did sign 50 in 02 who sold mad records with his debut in early 03. Obie went Gold...

In Terms of singles and tours ur right.
  • R.D.R.D. Posts: 13,263 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plap Sun wrote:
    too bad baby prolly get 75% of his check

lol @ Wayne being the Manny Pacquiao of the Rap game
  • H-Rap 180 wrote:
    nujerz84 wrote:

Em and Nellys singles reached top 10 consistantly that year, Em signed 50 cent that year who sold 7 mill on Get Rich Or Die Tryin, signed Obie Trice who sold a mill on Cheers, and Eminem done the anger managment tour which was bigger as far as crowd than any rapper has done.

infamous114
  • TurfaholicTurfaholic This dick aint freeeee #scumbag The Bay 2 Sin CityPosts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne doesnt have a oscar though. Thats a real challenge to accomplish
    H-Rap 180 wrote:
    nujerz84 wrote:

Em and Nellys singles reached top 10 consistantly that year, Em signed 50 cent that year who sold 7 mill on Get Rich Or Die Tryin, signed Obie Trice who sold a mill on Cheers, and Eminem done the anger managment tour which was bigger as far as crowd than any rapper has done.

Em & Nelly didn't have 10 different Gold and Platinum singles and album in 2003 like Wayne did in 2011.

Wayne was fresh off almost a year in prison and took over the game.

• Bcotton5Bcotton5 Posts: 43,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turfaholic wrote:

Wayne gonna start doing movies real soon, be on the lookout
  • nujerz84 wrote:
    H-Rap 180 wrote:
    nujerz84 wrote:

I think Nelly could compete with Singles...Hot In Heerre and that Kelly Rowland Song was everywhere...

In terms of Sales Em got him with Eminem Show and 8 Mile Soundtrack...had the # 1 song, album and movie in the US at the same time. Em did sign 50 in 02 who sold mad records with his debut in early 03. Obie went Gold...

In Terms of singles and tours ur right.

Lose Yourself went number for the longest in history in 02 and the Anger Managment tour. Look at Waynes Singles and Look at Em's and you will see Em's charted higher.
    infamous114
  • Lab BabyLab Baby Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    50/Jay in 03
    Em in 02
    Ye in 05
    Pac in 96 (PLEASE someone be dumb and debate this)
    Big in 95
    Hell, Wayne in 08

People forget so easy...
  • Em in 2010 too Recovery sellin 5 Mill, 2 number Singles Not Afraid, Love The Way You Lie, the tour with Jay
    infamous114
  • Already Home_17Already Home_17 Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turfaholic wrote:

not really. mean, these niggas won oscars

three-6-mafia-body-parts-2-lyricsyt.jpg
  • rob89rob89 Posts: 1
    I don't really get his rap. It's not creative.

Toll Free Numbers
    genocidecutter
  • This is why its baffling that MTV put Wayne at #5!!! At worst he shouldve been #2

Getwitcha
    infamous114
  • stealthbomberstealthbomber Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭
    sure he gets those plaques cuz he's popular but that doesn't mean he makes quality music. lil wayne has become a mainstream icon for hip hop, he gets all the best beats and even if his verses aren't good its gonna sell
  • TurfaholicTurfaholic This dick aint freeeee #scumbag The Bay 2 Sin CityPosts: 11,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Already Home.

thats my point. Rappers when Grammys every year. How often are they winning Oscars.
    Lab Baby wrote:
    50/Jay in 03
    Em in 02
    Ye in 05
    Pac in 96 (PLEASE someone be dumb and debate this)
    Big in 95
    Hell, Wayne in 08

People forget so easy...

Put up the numbers for Tupac 1996 then.

Tupac might have killed it with music/movies but he didn't do shit on the business end as a CEO like Wayne did.

Waynes label dominated 2011 his artists are everywhere across all demographics and he just reached 2 million today for C4 so anybody saying Birdman bought half of em he still got a Milli.

• Already Home_17Already Home_17 Posts: 9,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Turfaholic wrote:
    @Already Home.

thats my point. Rappers when Grammys every year. How often are they winning Oscars.

there arent any categories for rappers to get nominated in besides the best original song to a film. only two rap artists to my recognition have been nominated for that award, eminem and three 6 mafia
    i congratulate three 6 for winning it but the song itself isnt that impressive. i never cared for the award or the oscars in general but a song about pimping winning an oscar does nothing for its value IMO

and that performance? smh, the oscars know what they were doing with that shit

• Lab BabyLab Baby Posts: 6,864 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @hrap, Im on my phone and too lazy/busy to put up exact #s, but AEOM and 7DT both sold more than C4 in 96. Pac was never known for his business ventures, aside from his future endeavors, but his music alone was bigger than anything Wayne in '11 in and out the office.
  • Michael_MaliceMichael_Malice #YM Posts: 17,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayne stays winning even when he lose.

#YMCMB
  • ROFL..GUYROFL..GUY Posts: 225
    EM from 00-05 sold 70million albums

in 5 yrs he sold 70 MILLION albums....

70million albums in 5 years ---EM

wayne ---11million sold in 14yrs

ROFL @ wayne having "the biggest year ever" --

EM -in 20009-011 - 10mil albums sold

EM's weakest 2 yrs combined are only 1million off of waynes career sales combined... ROFL
    infamous114
  • ROLF Guy lets not forget the amount of number 1 Singles Em has had too

Lose Yourself
    Not Afraid
    Crack A Bottle
    Love The Way You Lie