Is the one hit wonder era officially over?

Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2012 in The Reason
03/04 to around 08/09 was that time when Ringtone, Snap, and Autotune music ran shit and a new dance song popped up every fucking week. Now I see the young cats like Cole, Wale, Kendrick started poppin off, what the fuck happened to them dance tracks?
KillaCham

Replies

• goldenjagoldenja Posts: 5,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i know where your commin from but.. naw it aint never gonna be over, more like the "ringtone" era is finally over
  • KillaChamKillaCham M0D SQUAD™ Posts: 7,849 Regulator
    edited February 2012
    To me, (looking back) that was the genre's strangest period. The top of the rap charts were just a list of disposable 1-hit wonder acts. MIMS, Smitty, D4L, Jibbs, DJ Webstar, Shop Boyz... and the king of that wackass movement - Souljia Boy.

I think everyone just got over that novelty act, plain and simple. It got stale and everyone jumped on the bandwagon until people got sick of it. Its good to see this era of hip-hop being ushered in by some hungry and consistent up and comers as opposed to nothing but a good beat & catchy hook.

But lets not act like they didn't have some bangers either:

genocidecutterBostonDrobankensteinidoitforhiphop10KillaCham
  • ROZAYTABERNACLEROZAYTABERNACLE Posts: 16,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hell no! theres been one hit wonders since the beginning of hits and there will be until the end.
    MikeydaGawdDisciplined InSightbankensteinf.e.d.s.idoitforhiphop10SuperDragon
  • Lab BabyLab Baby Posts: 6,436 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The time of that particular sound is over. However, theres still a bunch of artists out there that get lucky off one hit and disappear. The difference is, thesse rappers never seem to fully go away. Red Cafe, Future, Maino, them Dougie boys, etc.
    bankenstein
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^Im talking about the likes of shop boyz/ hurricane chris type of rappers on airwaves. Now, the most played club bangers come from consistent hit makers like Ross.
  • RuffDraftRuffDraft Posts: 4,706
    I remember that era well, frustration was definitely the feeling amongst most hip hop heads.

I think the era is far from over, until the label heads change, there will always be one hit wonders.

That said, there's a lot of hip hop artists who are ready to take on the major leagues with consistency… it's not an easy challenge though given that the audience isn't just a hip hop board.

The next five years will be very interesting to see…
    bankensteinidoitforhiphop10genocidecutter
    To me, (looking back) that was the genre's strangest period. The top of the rap charts were just a list of disposable 1-hit wonder acts. MIMS, Smitty, D4L, Jibbs, DJ Webstar, Shop Boyz... and the king of that wackass movement - Souljia Boy.

I think everyone just got over that novelty act, plain and simple. It got stale and everyone jumped on the bandwagon until people got sick of it. Its good to see this era of hip-hop being ushered in by some hungry and consistent up and comers as opposed to nothing but a good beat & catchy hook.

yeah it definitely was a strange period. I think it was just the progression (or regression lol) from dudes seeing rappers like chingy, murphy lee, lil jon, ying yang, etc. that would drop a solid album with a couple hot singles and being like 'I can do that shit!' since none of those rappers were the most complex.
    KillaChambankensteinidoitforhiphop10genocidecutter
  • Bcotton5Bcotton5 Posts: 39,996 ✭✭✭✭✭

lol Franchize Boys is my guilty pleasure, they 1st and 2nd cds both actually went hard as fuck
    KillaChamBostonDro
  • SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 20,050 Regulator
    LOLOL there will always be one hit wonders lol, that wont ever change.
    genocidecutteridoitforhiphop10
  • KillaChamKillaCham M0D SQUAD™ Posts: 7,849 Regulator
    edited February 2012

yeah it definitely was a strange period. I think it was just the progression (or regression lol) from dudes seeing rappers like chingy, murphy lee, lil jon, ying yang, etc. that would drop a solid album with a couple hot singles and being like 'I can do that shit!' since none of those rappers were the most complex.
    Pretty much.. and then it just got worse and worse and worse.

Does anyone even know any other words to 'Party Like A Rock Star' other than "Party like a rock.. party like a rock star"?
    confused-smiley-013.gif

lol Franchize Boys is my guilty pleasure, they 1st and 2nd cds both actually went hard as fuck
    AWESOME!!!
    LOLCLidoitforhiphop10
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    I remember that era well, frustration was definitely the feeling amongst most hip hop heads.

I think the era is far from over, until the label heads change, there will always be one hit wonders.

That said, there's a lot of hip hop artists who are ready to take on the major leagues with consistency… it's not an easy challenge though given that the audience isn't just a hip hop board.

The next five years will be very interesting to see…
    There's always going to be artists who get deals due to labels thinking they can establish them based off of one hit record... (that's what a one-hit wonder is in a lot of cases; an artist with a hit and not much else to offer..) but I think the actual era of the "ringtone rapper" and "dance/snap rap" is pretty much over at this point. You have labels looking to sign and put on artists who they think can have longevity (Weeknd, Azelia Banks, etc) and build fanbases as opposed to one who can sell 99 cent, 1 million times over. Acts that literally did not need to put out a quality record... because the song just needed to bump for the 10-30 seconds that your phone rang.

Thank you for explaining it clearly.
    Pretty much.. and then it just got worse and worse and worse.

Does anyone even know any other words to 'Party Like A Rock Star' other than "Party like a rock.. party like a rock star"?
    confused-smiley-013.gif

I know they said 'T-t-t-totally dude!' after that
    KillaChambankensteinidoitforhiphop10genocidecutter

word to jermaine dupri. him, lil jon, and collipark must've made a killin off of the one hit wonders
    idoitforhiphop10genocidecutter
  • Supreme_GentlemanSupreme_Gentleman #RapeCulture Posts: 19,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • MrCrookedLetterMrCrookedLetter I'm More Busta Rhymes Than Martin Lawrence Posts: 14,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • i never understood how you could be a one hit wonder. I mean if you can make one hit then should be able to make another. ps Mims can actually rap , both his albums were good actually
  • inthacutinthacut Posts: 955 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    meta4tony wrote:
    i never understood how you could be a one hit wonder. I mean if you can make one hit then should be able to make another. ps Mims can actually rap , both his albums were good actually

the marketing machine, same thing puff did to the lox in the beginning... the shiny suit era was some shit

to answer the question though, there will always b one hit wonders, that's a part of the music business.

• SneakDZASneakDZA Just a guy Posts: 6,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nah - it's just the bar is so low that people who should be one hit wonders are actually getting album sales and sophomore albums and promotion and shit.
  • SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 20,050 Regulator
    @Wild Self man what I'm curious to see is what artists today will fall off or be long and forgotten. Like remember in 98-2003 you had DMX, Ja Rule, Ludacris, Eminem, Juvenile, Master P, Chingy, Lil Zane, G-Unit, Stat Quo, Eve, Kanye West, Cam'ron and the Dipset, Game, Ghostface Killah was making noise, Jadakiss, Jay-Z, Drag On and a whole bunch of niggas. Now looking at things today all we have is Eminem, we have Jay-Z, Kanye, Luda (depending on who you ask) and thats really about it..... that's only 4 niggas of all them cats who sold millions of records and were on top of the game. Like does anyone remember that Ja Rule was going 3x platinum on every release ? Or what about Eve going multi-plat or the impact Dipset had ? DMX once went 9x plat in a year dropping 2 albums in one year. Nowadays those artists are no where to be found (no diss to any of them).

I wonder who of today will blow up & who will fade. Like back in 98-99 I would have NEVER imagined Jay-Z would've gotten as big as he is now, who knew Eminem would've lasted this long when he first came out ? If someone would've told me in 2000-2001 that Ja Rule would fall off I would've laughed. It's incredible man. Today we have J.Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Big Sean, MGK, Wale, Meek Mill, Tyga, Drake, Nicki Minaj, ASAP Rocky, Marcus Manchild & a few more. But who will last & who will fall right ? Drake like Ja Rule was selling millions of records like it was nothing but look at where Ja is.... there's a long list of Canadian artists who blew up in the States only to fall off after a few years, shit who knows it could happen to Drake (not sayin it will). Maybe ASAP or Tyga become the future GOATs and J.Cole is the one to fall off ? man who really knows but its interesting to me. Only time will tell I guess.....
    genocidecutteridoitforhiphop10
  • Monizzle14Monizzle14 Posts: 10,671 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both respectable grinders like cole krit kendrick and one hit wonders future "tony montana" tyga "wack city YC "Wacks" will continue to co exist. Just like the average female between 16-25 mainstream hip hop listeners continue to lower their standards for what is a hit. Tony Montana wouldn't be poppin in the club or the hood 10 years ago shit didn't bang like the old sothern anthems. The fact rack city was even in the hip hop top 10 shows you how terrible the top 10 is.

At the same time guys like krit cole and kendrick who focus more on fan support by free mixtapes and staying true to them will be better off long term while the gimmick niggas fade to black.
    idoitforhiphop10
  • 5th Letter5th Letter Posts: 25,406 Regulator
    I'm glad it's over I just think people are/were tired of that sound. More dope artists are getting played now than say 5 or 6 years ago.
    sionb55 wrote: »
    @Wild Self man what I'm curious to see is what artists today will fall off or be long and forgotten. Like remember in 98-2003 you had DMX, Ja Rule, Ludacris, Eminem, Juvenile, Master P, Chingy, Lil Zane, G-Unit, Stat Quo, Eve, Kanye West, Cam'ron and the Dipset, Game, Ghostface Killah was making noise, Jadakiss, Jay-Z, Drag On and a whole bunch of niggas. Now looking at things today all we have is Eminem, we have Jay-Z, Kanye, Luda (depending on who you ask) and thats really about it..... that's only 4 niggas of all them cats who sold millions of records and were on top of the game. Like does anyone remember that Ja Rule was going 3x platinum on every release ? Or what about Eve going multi-plat or the impact Dipset had ? DMX once went 9x plat in a year dropping 2 albums in one year. Nowadays those artists are no where to be found (no diss to any of them).

I wonder who of today will blow up & who will fade. Like back in 98-99 I would have NEVER imagined Jay-Z would've gotten as big as he is now, who knew Eminem would've lasted this long when he first came out ? If someone would've told me in 2000-2001 that Ja Rule would fall off I would've laughed. It's incredible man. Today we have J.Cole, Kendrick Lamar, Big Sean, MGK, Wale, Meek Mill, Tyga, Drake, Nicki Minaj, ASAP Rocky, Marcus Manchild & a few more. But who will last & who will fall right ? Drake like Ja Rule was selling millions of records like it was nothing but look at where Ja is.... there's a long list of Canadian artists who blew up in the States only to fall off after a few years, shit who knows it could happen to Drake (not sayin it will). Maybe ASAP or Tyga become the future GOATs and J.Cole is the one to fall off ? man who really knows but its interesting to me. Only time will tell I guess.....

Yeah. The rap game is mad unpredictable like that. Like the 03 to 09 era had nothing, I repeat, NOTHING but one hit wonders dominating the airwaves. Other eras of rap, you had a one hit wonder artist here and there; but that particular era was ran by gimmicky dances and once that hit song was over, the artist was over. These Lyrical new rappers these last few years are demonstrating potential that was not seen since 98. I was just wondering when the fuck the gimmick songs from the one hit wonder era just disappeared like that.