Is the one hit wonder era officially over?

2

Replies

  • JJ 1975JJ 1975 Posts: 336
    hell no! theres been one hit wonders since the beginning of hits and there will be until the end.

    Totally agree! One hit wonders will never go away. Someone comes along every now and then that sounds amazing, but their shit all sounds the same and they eventually fade out...except for that one amazing song that caught everyone's attention.
  • Wild Self wrote:
    03/04 to around 08/09 was that time when Ringtone, Snap, and Autotune music ran shit and a new dance song popped up every fucking week. Now I see the young cats like Cole, Wale, Kendrick started poppin off, what the fuck happened to them dance tracks?

    get out under ur rock, theres tons of one hit wonder, cookie cutter singles RACK CITY!

    Monizzle14
  • Monizzle14Monizzle14 Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild Self wrote:
    03/04 to around 08/09 was that time when Ringtone, Snap, and Autotune music ran shit and a new dance song popped up every fucking week. Now I see the young cats like Cole, Wale, Kendrick started poppin off, what the fuck happened to them dance tracks?

    get out under ur rock, theres tons of one hit wonder, cookie cutter singles RACK CITY!

    excatly there are still the same lame gimmick singles like hustle hard, rack city, racks, tony montana lol
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild Self wrote:
    03/04 to around 08/09 was that time when Ringtone, Snap, and Autotune music ran shit and a new dance song popped up every fucking week. Now I see the young cats like Cole, Wale, Kendrick started poppin off, what the fuck happened to them dance tracks?

    get out under ur rock, theres tons of one hit wonder, cookie cutter singles RACK CITY!

    U sure? Tyga got at least one more hit single and people actually know his name. Do you know the name of the dudes that made the Dougie dance? Or the Ricky Bobby?
  • Melanin_Enriched Melanin_Enriched Your favorite basketball-american gentleman Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyga isn't going to be a one hit wonder. just sayin.
    JaeStackz
  • Monizzle14Monizzle14 Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tyga isn't going to be a one hit wonder. just sayin.

    but he just gunna be like an ace hood. Has a single that catches an eye every now and then but no big buzz. Remember this niggas 2 albums deep but still has not proven shit. And his mixtapes get a little buzz for 5 secs then cool down. Tyga aint really shit.

  • tyga is too consistent to be a one hit wonder, when he first came out with lime in the coconut every one said that was gona be his one hit wonder, yet he been grinding since and even had one of the hottest mixtape with chris brown and 3 of them songs even made it on b.e.t and it wasnt even an album....but usually rappers who only make dance songs end up being one hit wonders
  • Monizzle14Monizzle14 Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JaeStackz wrote:
    tyga is too consistent to be a one hit wonder, when he first came out with lime in the coconut every one said that was gona be his one hit wonder, yet he been grinding since and even had one of the hottest mixtape with chris brown and 3 of them songs even made it on b.e.t and it wasnt even an album....but usually rappers who only make dance songs end up being one hit wonders

    Hes not consistent he just keeps getting breaks. Like i said above the nigga is like ace hood. People keep giving him another album date but he has not accomplished shit. His first album flopped. This upcoming album is only getting 70 to 80K. Aint nothing special about any of that. And Even rack city is over rated. Put rack city in any other year and its not a top 10 hit. Right now less people are putting out singles so it by defualt got in the top 10. But any other february and this song has less buzz.

  • true i havent checked his record sells or heard the new album yet, but im saying he alot bigger then what i imagined he would be from when i first heard him back in like 08, he doing alot better then most artist that are out now, except for the real big artists like rick ross and drake etc, and maybe he got 70-80k record sales but he probably got another 100k-200k downloads since most people dont buy albums no more,tyga is more mainstream then ace hood tho when ace got a record thats poppin i just usually hear it in hood spots, as far as rack city goes it is under rated but it gets played every where hood spots rich spots where ever
  • Melanin_Enriched Melanin_Enriched Your favorite basketball-american gentleman Posts: 20,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fuck the singles, careless world is a good album.
  • Wild Self wrote: »
    Wild Self wrote:
    03/04 to around 08/09 was that time when Ringtone, Snap, and Autotune music ran shit and a new dance song popped up every fucking week. Now I see the young cats like Cole, Wale, Kendrick started poppin off, what the fuck happened to them dance tracks?

    get out under ur rock, theres tons of one hit wonder, cookie cutter singles RACK CITY!

    U sure? Tyga got at least one more hit single and people actually know his name. Do you know the name of the dudes that made the Dougie dance? Or the Ricky Bobby?


    umm Vanilla ice is one hit wonder and u know his name, tyga name is in his album of course i know his name lol

    tyga is nobody but a young cant thats wack getting carried by YM
  • Monizzle14Monizzle14 Posts: 12,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JaeStackz wrote:
    true i havent checked his record sells or heard the new album yet, but im saying he alot bigger then what i imagined he would be from when i first heard him back in like 08, he doing alot better then most artist that are out now, except for the real big artists like rick ross and drake etc, and maybe he got 70-80k record sales but he probably got another 100k-200k downloads since most people dont buy albums no more,tyga is more mainstream then ace hood tho when ace got a record thats poppin i just usually hear it in hood spots, as far as rack city goes it is under rated but it gets played every where hood spots rich spots where ever

    yeah rack city gets play at the bars and clubs i go do as well. But you gotta remember young money artists have super fans that cloud the numbers. Their male groupie fanbase has niggas buying 5 or 6 copies of an album to skew numbers. I kid you not there are smaller numbers of people buying multiple copies.

    JaeStackz
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild Self wrote: »
    Wild Self wrote:
    03/04 to around 08/09 was that time when Ringtone, Snap, and Autotune music ran shit and a new dance song popped up every fucking week. Now I see the young cats like Cole, Wale, Kendrick started poppin off, what the fuck happened to them dance tracks?

    get out under ur rock, theres tons of one hit wonder, cookie cutter singles RACK CITY!

    U sure? Tyga got at least one more hit single and people actually know his name. Do you know the name of the dudes that made the Dougie dance? Or the Ricky Bobby?


    umm Vanilla ice is one hit wonder and u know his name, tyga name is in his album of course i know his name lol

    tyga is nobody but a young cant thats wack getting carried by YM


    That's cause Vanilla Ice was white back in the early 90s. the dudes that made the Dougie dance and the Ricky Bobby are not known at all.
  • FucktheICFucktheIC Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think he's asking if one hit wonders are over, but the era of the majority of the music we had being one hit wonders. They will always be there, but they're not majority of the music we hear on the radio anymore.

    Although the shit I hear is still wack when I do listen.
    idoitforhiphop10
  • Monizzle14 wrote: »
    JaeStackz wrote:
    true i havent checked his record sells or heard the new album yet, but im saying he alot bigger then what i imagined he would be from when i first heard him back in like 08, he doing alot better then most artist that are out now, except for the real big artists like rick ross and drake etc, and maybe he got 70-80k record sales but he probably got another 100k-200k downloads since most people dont buy albums no more,tyga is more mainstream then ace hood tho when ace got a record thats poppin i just usually hear it in hood spots, as far as rack city goes it is under rated but it gets played every where hood spots rich spots where ever

    yeah rack city gets play at the bars and clubs i go do as well. But you gotta remember young money artists have super fans that cloud the numbers. Their male groupie fanbase has niggas buying 5 or 6 copies of an album to skew numbers. I kid you not there are smaller numbers of people buying multiple copies.

    lol you right i seen people who buy about 3 of the same albums to say they support

  • #1 pick#1 pick Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    Dem Franchise boyz were terrible but they had three to four hits. Mims is an one hit wonder.
  • naw artist still getting signed off one song. Artistry is getting more love in the mainstream now though so thats a good thing

  • stealthbomberstealthbomber Posts: 2,179 ✭✭✭
    one hit wonders have been around as long as music has been distributed on a national scale. they just happened to take over hip hop for a while. they're not as strong, but they aint going anywhere
  • BARON_$AMEDIBARON_$AMEDI 66-888-46-99-3 THE CROSSROADSPosts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    I've noticed the skinny jean, tight extra smeadium glitter shirts, and acting all sensitive is finally going away too. I called that era the metrosexual coon era. Also I just wanted to point out that this all happened when the south took over.
  • ROFL..GUYROFL..GUY Posts: 225
    I've noticed the skinny jean, tight extra smeadium glitter shirts, and acting all sensitive is finally going away too. I called that era the metrosexual coon era. Also I just wanted to point out that this all happened when the south took over.

    YM/KANYE is responsible for the metrosexual coon era... not the south..

    ROFL @ this kanye stan
    angrymanincgenocidecutterinfamous114
  • silverfoxxsilverfoxx Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ROFL..GUY wrote: »
    I've noticed the skinny jean, tight extra smeadium glitter shirts, and acting all sensitive is finally going away too. I called that era the metrosexual coon era. Also I just wanted to point out that this all happened when the south took over.

    YM/KANYE is responsible for the metrosexual coon era... not the south..

    ROFL @ this kanye stan

    Shouts out to my westcoast fam ROFL!!!! keep spittin the truth bro
  • willhustlewillhustle Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Idk really b/c I ain't been much in tune with the hip-hop scene for a long time with all bullshit that the labels keep pumping out. As far as the one-hit wonder era being finished with, no but a lot of it has been slowed down.
  • BARON_$AMEDIBARON_$AMEDI 66-888-46-99-3 THE CROSSROADSPosts: 5,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2012
    Idk really b/c I ain't been much in tune with the hip-hop scene for a long time with all bullshit that the labels keep pumping out. As far as the one-hit wonder era being finished with, no but a lot of it has been slowed down.
    FUNNY THAT ERA STARTED WHEN THE SOUTH TOOK OVER. I KNOW I'M NOT THE ONLY ONE TO NOTICE THIS LOL NIGGAS IN THE SOUTH IS TOO PROUD TO CALL A SPADE A SPADE.

    angrymaninc
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ROFL..GUY wrote: »
    I've noticed the skinny jean, tight extra smeadium glitter shirts, and acting all sensitive is finally going away too. I called that era the metrosexual coon era. Also I just wanted to point out that this all happened when the south took over.

    YM/KANYE is responsible for the metrosexual coon era... not the south..

    ROFL @ this kanye stan

    thats true. but imagine still wearing baggy clothes in 2012? Glad people actually see what im talking bout.
    angrymaninc
  • nyst8ofminnyst8ofmin Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭✭
    I've noticed the skinny jean, tight extra smeadium glitter shirts, and acting all sensitive is finally going away too. I called that era the metrosexual coon era. Also I just wanted to point out that this all happened when the south took over.

    thanks for that well thought out statement...

    and i seem to remember ppl swearing that lil b was the sh*t & dem franchise boys was nice and etc etc etc * now nobody's rocking with them

    its funny how all DFB or lil b's fans all disappeared

    and is kreashawn and her team not 1 hit wonders?

    that sh*t will never stop
2
Sign In or Register to comment.