The Official MMA Thread: UFC signs Fedor (unofficial for now)

Replies

• iKingGodGivBiziKingGodGivBiz Batman With Prep Time Posts: 20,137 Regulator
    edited February 2012
    These gifs confirm my belief that Edgar won, im sorry

Edgar Rounds 1-2 Bendo Rounds 3-5 imo. All 10-9.
    edited February 2012
    We have 3 black champions in the UFC now. Bendo (half black half korean), Anderson Silva and Jon Jones. Overeem may be next (Even tho I do Pick JDS to win that for now)
    These gifs confirm my belief that Edgar won, im sorry

Btw fight metrics also

http://blog.fightmetric.com/2012/02/henderson-vs-edgar-official-ufc.html
  • edgar got beat pretty decisively if you ask me. quality fight card tho
  • Will MunnyWill Munny I eat pussy on the 1st date. Posts: 25,071 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it was pretty obvious Henderson won. He had octon control the entire fight. Frankie didn't display any control from the few takedowns he landed and he is a volume puncher that doesn't land with any power. Frankie has mad heart, but he really got beat up.
  • aneed123aneed123 Posts: 15,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankie landed punches but he was too little. He kept catching Hendersons leg but the kicks were landed first. That up kick was nasty and the bell saved him
    the thing was Frankie kept catching kicks but u dont get points for just catching kicks. Frankie never capitalized. After getting kicked in the face Frankie was also unable to take bendo down again after that...which also dont get you points.
    Bellator HW Blagoi Ivanov stabbed in the chest

Postby doyousukadaweena » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:12 am
    Bellator heavyweight Blagoi Ivanov was stabbed in the chest in a pub in Sofia, Bulgaria early Sunday morning and despite successful surgery, things are still very dicey for the Combat Sambo world champion. The Sofia News Agency passed along the unfortunate news today:

Bulgarian MMA fighter Blagoi Ivanov, who was stabbed early Sunday morning in a pub brawl in Sofia, is still fighting for his life, announced doctors.

Ivanov has sustained a deep knife wound in his chest that reached to his heard and is currently under artificial respiration at the intensive care unit of Pirogov Hospital in Sofia.

Surgeons have carried out a life-saving operation on their patient, but say his life is still under a real threat.

Sunday night Ivanov and two of his friends had just occupied their places in a bar on Graf Ignatiev Str., when a group of 8 persons armed with bats and knives came in and attacked them.

At 5.10 am police came in to find the attackers escaped and Ivanov with a deep stab wound under his armpit.

Ivanov (6-0, 1 NC) is probably best known for defeating Fedor Emelianenko in the finals of the 2008 Combat Sambo World Championships. He was signed by Bellator last year and went 2-0 in the promotion. His last bout was on Christmas Eve in Russia, where he defeated Ricco Rodriguez by controversial TKO.http://mobile.bloodyelbow.com/2012/2/26 ... g-for-life
  • thenatureboythenatureboy Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jeremy Stephens replaces Yves Edwards against Donald Cerrone.
  • aneed123aneed123 Posts: 15,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    man Sapp just be taking dives and giving up that was horrible
    Jeremy Stephens replaces Yves Edwards against Donald Cerrone.

God Damnit Yves... Hopefully the UFC gives him another fight.

Jeremy Stephens has the worst haircut in the UFC besides those gay-ass mohoawk guys.
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson do 10 pushups everytime you read my post... you know you want too. Posts: 50,157 Regulator
    Dana College in Blair, Nebraska no longer exists thooooooo...
  • gum989gum989 Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭✭
    As soon as Barboza gets a shot - everyone will forget about the rest of the "stacked" lightweight division.
    Barboza isnt even top 10 in his weightclass yet he hasnt fought a top 10 guy yet or a wrestler with good striking.
    edited March 2012
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson do 10 pushups everytime you read my post... you know you want too. Posts: 50,157 Regulator
    SMH @ this shit here...

Thiago Alves gains nearly 30 pounds in three hours after UFC on FX 2 weigh ins
    4xtav_large.jpg
    By the time Thiago Alves steps into the cage tonight (March 2, 2012) to face off against Martin Kampmann in the main event of UFC on FX 2, which emanates live from the Allphones Arena in Sydney, Australia, he'll likely be doing it as a light heavyweight.

Not that it matters, but his contest against "The Hitman" was contracted at 170-pounds.

Celebrity dietician Mike Dolce, founder of the famed "Dolce Diet," was "Down Under" this week to help "The Pitbull" make his mark. The Brazilian has been inconsistent in successfully cutting weight throughout the course of his career, but based on a recent tweet by Dolce himself, he doesn't seem to have any trouble putting it back on.

27 pounds in just three hours, for those of you keeping score at home.

Alves weighed in at 170.5 at Thursday night's weigh in event, and Dolce later tweeted that he was already back up to 197.6. By tonight, who knows what the finally number might be.

Star-divide

I don't want to get on my soapbox here, but weight cutting has been known to be fatal, killing everyone from college wrestlers to professional bodybuilders. The sport of mixed martial arts, still in its infancy, seems to have an air of invulnerability to it, likely based on the simple notion that "Well, nothing bad has happened yet."

Yet.

Fighters cut weight. It's part of the sport and it's not going away. When a weight cut begins several weeks out from a fight and peaks with a few pounds the day of the weigh in, there is little, if any risk involved. But these massive fluctuations -- to go from 200 to 170 and back to 200 -- over the span of a couple of days, puts fighters at risk.

Dolce tweets it like a badge of honor.

Let's also take into consideration the exploitation of the system. A 200-pound fighter is not supposed to be fighting a 170-pound fighter. While it's highly unlikely that Martin Kampmann will show up anywhere near 170 (and may be closer to middleweight), there are plenty of fighters, like former UFC Lightweight Champion Frankie Edgar, who compete just a few pounds above the contractual limit.

Are we inadvertently punishing them for not doing a better job of exploiting the system?

Let's get some thoughts here, Maniacs, am I missing the mark on this issue (pun intended)? Or do trainers and dieticians have an ethical obligation to tell fighters not whether or not they can cut so much weight, but whether or not they should?

Opinions, please.
    Dolce gon kill somebody, this is fucking wild.

if he can cut weight, i dont see whats legally wrong with that
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    if he can cut weight, i dont see whats legally wrong with that

legally nothing, but ethically and health wise?
    Dolce is gonna make a killing off destroying these guys liver and kidneys.

if thiago doesn't go up a weightclass or drop the retarded amount of muscle for a striker, then his fighting years are going to be cut in half, i give him up to for more years before his organs start crapping out on him.

Dolce is the new age dr kevorkian.
  • arbitrationarbitration Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    Did y'all just watch how Martin Kampmann just snatched victory from the jaws of defeat outchea???? Alves about to commit dat
    Did y'all just watch how Martin Kampmann just snatched victory from the jaws of defeat outchea???? Alves about to commit dat

nah i missed it.
    damn just skimmed the play by play, sounds like kampmann was on his way to getting Koschek'd.
    lanky muhfucka.
    how bloated was alves compared to the weigh ins?
    edited March 2012
    mccall/benevidez is going to be fucking amazing, fight of the year, im calling it now...
    i think mccall beats johnson in the rematch.