Is the lyrical element of Hip-Hop dead?

RileyRilez89RileyRilez89 Posts: 18
edited March 2012 in The Reason
Do you think lyrics still matter, or is it just a catchy beat and flow??

I've been following Church Chizzle for a while, dude goes hard.

Any other up and comers being lyrical besides Church, Kendrick, and J Cole?

Replies

• Miles HIGHMiles HIGH Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭
    Sigh...Are you Church Chizzle bruh?
    AggyAFJDSTAYWITIT.sonsofscotland
    That song is straight though...Beat's annoying, but verses nice.
    RileyRilez89sonsofscotland
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson I drive a fast car... Posts: 47,416 Regulator
    lol, my nigga, what beats?
    what production?
    that shit been dead... niggas wanna sound like go bots now.
    it's hilarious that these are some of the weakest basslines ever yet niggas wanna be heard...
    if i rapped like most these niggas do, i'd have the hardest speaker box fucking bass ever.
    but these new niggas is so damn dumb that they think they really sound hot.
    shit was better when everything was bout the boom.
  • KameKame Posts: 23,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • hueyhuey Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hell no its not gone
    Kame wrote: »
    nope....

Deal_with_facial.gif

Best. Deal. With. It. .Gif. Ever.
  • lol, not Church Chizzle, he's not that unknown. niggas been on TV battling and shit.

I think it's making a come back though, a couple years ago we didnt have cats like kendrick an krit.
  • KameKame Posts: 23,730 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Miles HIGH wrote: »
    Kame wrote: »
    nope....

Deal_with_facial.gif

Best. Deal. With. It. .Gif. Ever.

lol I know right?
  • lol, strong gif.
  • MrCrookedLetterMrCrookedLetter Hey young world, I'm the new Slick Rick Posts: 16,039 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • DarthRozayDarthRozay Posts: 18,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol, not Church Chizzle, he's not that unknown. niggas been on TV battling and shit.

I think it's making a come back though, a couple years ago we didnt have cats like kendrick an krit.
    they were there. just not known like they are today. yeah i rap says hes been on to kendrick since 06.

I think there will always be rappers that focus on lyrics more than a catchy hook or hot beat. will they become as big as drake, eminem, lil wayne? probably not, but then again, you never know.

• MC The RapperMC The Rapper Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you think lyrics still matter, or is it just a catchy beat and flow??

I've been following Church Chizzle for a while, dude goes hard.

Any other up and comers being lyrical besides Church, Kendrick, and J Cole?

This is lyrical ?

• Black_SamsonBlack_Samson I drive a fast car... Posts: 47,416 Regulator
    lol, not Church Chizzle, he's not that unknown. niggas been on TV battling and shit.

not in regards to you clip.
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If it was 2004 to 09, then I would agree. With KRIT, Kendrick, and Cole making noise in 2012, lyricism is back in full swing.
  • yeah i rap so don't yeah i rap so don't Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

they were there. just not known like they are today. yeah i rap says hes been on to kendrick since 06.

I think there will always be rappers that focus on lyrics more than a catchy hook or hot beat. will they become as big as drake, eminem, lil wayne? probably not, but then again, you never know.

Ab-Soul put me onto his music.
  • 1800skypager1800skypager Posts: 584 ✭✭✭
    Some new cats have lyrics, but for the most part it's all about bitches, weed, money, coke, syrup, and partying. If 90% of your lyrics are about any of the above you're wack imo.
    AggyAF
  • shit is all about relevance, ask some young niggas if these new niggas are lyrical and watch them tell yes and back it up, and who are we really to say nah just because the shit these niggas is saying might not be relevant to us and not lyrical, but too other niggas its lyrical...fuk it all i'm sayin is niggas is always gonna be lyrical to somebody out there lol
  • It's true though, a few years ago we could only get what Labels gave us, now independent artists give us what we want, and labels follow.
  • hhh thats mehhh thats me Posts: 136
    edited March 2012
    All this fuckin whining about lyrics.. Like damn you really that conservative about music that you only like shit that's lyrical? "Lyrical" is not synonymous to "good rap", being lyrical in rap is just one part of the genre.. In the 80's we had all kinds of classic rap songs but we all know rappers were on some elementary shit as far as lyrics go..

I think people on the net are just way too focused on lyrics all the time.. And besides, what defines dope lyrics? I think a song like Paris Morton Music or Dreams Money Can Buy by Drake as as lyrical as it could get.. What makes those songs less lyrical than any other?

Every era of rap has its own field of focus.. 90's was clearly more lyrically focused than it is today, but then again most beats today are much better than in the 90's. So are the hooks and the overall song structures.. Lemme find out if rappers start becoming super lyrical we'll have a billion fans online complaining about something else SMH...
  • MC The RapperMC The Rapper Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All this fuckin whining about lyrics.. Like damn you really that conservative about music that you only like shit that's lyrical? "Lyrical" is not synonymous to "good rap", being lyrical in rap is just one part of the genre.. In the 80's we had all kinds of classic rap songs but we all know rappers were on some elementary shit as far as lyrics go..

I think people on the net are just way too focused on lyrics all the time.. And besides, what defines dope lyrics? I think a song like Paris Morton Music or Dreams Money Can Buy by Drake as as lyrical as it could get.. What makes those songs less lyrical than any other?

Every era of rap has its own field of focus.. 90's was clearly more lyrically focused than it is today, but then again most beats today are much better than in the 90's. So are the hooks and the overall song structures.. Lemme find out if rappers start becoming super lyrical we'll have a billion fans online complaining about something else SMH...

I just want rappers to sound like they put some effort into they music that is all.
  • rusty shacklefordrusty shackleford Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2012
    something like lyrical prowess can't die if it's alive in at least one mc..

something like death is but an illusion because energy can't be destroyed..

something like an opinion can't be argued unless you're the last human being on earth..

Shit20In20Spa.gif

so basically, this conversation is tantamount to what happens in this gif^

.. & subsequently, my post transforms it to..

BirdPoopsOnCat.gif