Inflation kicking in....prices of consumer goods rising

Replies

• kingblaze84kingblaze84 Posts: 8,060
    SionB, yeah'll try to invest in things when the market calms down a little more. I'm afraid to put my money into anything, and what I wouldn't mind investing in now, is expensive as fuck. I want to keep my money a little close to the vest for now, but I'll try out the stock market when I save money better (aka get a better paying job than a paralegal)
    edited March 2012
    janklow wrote: »
    Yeah same here. Anyone here grow their own food from an apartment?
    invest in guinea pigs

I could never eat guinea pigs, I used to have them as pets 6 years ago. I had like 8 of them at one point, most died at birth though sadly. They're all dead now, all except one I sold to a pet store after she began acting erratically. I think I'd rather eat a bunny rabbit. They look tastier anyway
  • lighthearted25lighthearted25 Posts: 1,307
    Yea groceries are ridiculous. $4 milk anyone smh. I have some friends who I use to think were just hippies but they are smart as hell. They bought chickens to raise for eggs. They killed and ate one but they said it was mad dry lol. They grow their own veggies alot, etc.. I need to start thinking like them because when shit hits the fan ain't nobody else gonna look out for me and my family.
    Yea groceries are ridiculous. $4 milk anyone smh. I have some friends who I use to think were just hippies but they are smart as hell. They bought chickens to raise for eggs. They killed and ate one but they said it was mad dry lol. They grow their own veggies alot, etc.. I need to start thinking like them because when shit hits the fan ain't nobody else gonna look out for me and my family.

Those friends of yours turned out to be pretty smart huh? I have family in Haiti that grow veggies and raise chickens that I used to make fun of, but in a way I kind of envy them now. They don't pay 150 bucks a week for groceries like my fam has to do these days smh agh. For now I'll just have to stockpile as much food as I possibly can, god forbid any disaster financially happens. I'm thinking like a survivalist every single day. I have stocks of toothpaste, bathroom tissue, and canned goods, I'm working on stocking other items soon enough.
    heyslick wrote: »
    I'm gonna retreat into the periphery of death valley, and use the sun for all of my needs...even if the fucking solar panel is made in china -America sure as hell can't.

Good luck growing food in Death Valley, it's not gonna be easy with the extreme heat there
  • janklowjanklow Posts: 5,359
    I could never eat guinea pigs, I used to have them as pets 6 years ago. I had like 8 of them at one point, most died at birth though sadly. They're all dead now, all except one I sold to a pet store after she began acting erratically. I think I'd rather eat a bunny rabbit. They look tastier anyway
    rabbits ARE tastier, for several reasons... but if you want to raise animals for food in an apartment, the guinea pig is a much better concept.

personally, i wouldn't eat them, but again, i'm from the US, so, you know, they're pets to us.
    rabbits ARE tastier, for several reasons... but if you want to raise animals for food in an apartment, the guinea pig is a much better concept.

personally, i wouldn't eat them, but again, i'm from the US, so, you know, they're pets to us.

I always thought you were from Canada?
    edited March 2012
    I'm watching Fox News now and they are saying Obama has raised more debt in his 4 years than Bush did in 8. Is this really true?? Any links would be helpful.....

Also if this is true, is this because Bush did not include some expenses in the budget while Obama is? Or is it bigger than that?

If Fox News is right on this, than wow.......I'll never turn into a major conservative but I hope sincerely this isn't true. Because this makes the war in Afghanistan really look bad, although I don't to turn this into a war thread, i just want to know if this is all really true........
    edited March 2012
    Not a bad plan Slick, I'll tell my friend who lives in San Diego about your solar generators, maybe he can buy some and harness them somehow. He lives in the middle of nowhere too.
    yeah, i still don't understand why you think this. is it because i always say Canada is very clean and totally awesome? or because i say all Americans are terrible people? still a mystery.
    I'm watching Fox News now and they are saying Obama has raised more debt in his 4 years than Bush did in 8.
    i THINK, without digging into the numbers, that Bush raised it something like 4.9 trillion and Obama raised it something like 4.3 trillion, so Bush would have raised it MORE, but Obama raised it FASTER. or something like that.
    yeah, i still don't understand why you think this. is it because i always say Canada is very clean and totally awesome? or because i say all Americans are terrible people? still a mystery.
    I'm watching Fox News now and they are saying Obama has raised more debt in his 4 years than Bush did in 8.
    i THINK, without digging into the numbers, that Bush raised it something like 4.9 trillion and Obama raised it something like 4.3 trillion, so Bush would have raised it MORE, but Obama raised it FASTER. or something like that.

I could've sworn you said once before you live in Canada, but I've been to Canada twice, I can safely say it is a lovely nation and has great people. America for the most part has great people too, a TON of fucked up people though.....

As far as Obama's debt pile up, it's still disappointing he's raised the debt so much. As Occupy Wall Street eloquently says all the time, Democrats and Republicans are both part of the problem. Republicans are worse but Obama is too much like Bush for my liking, especially when it comes to his war spending (which is disgraceful and pathetic)
    heyslick wrote: »
    Not a bad plan Slick, I'll tell my friend who lives in San Diego about your solar generators, maybe he can buy some and harness them somehow. He lives in the middle of nowhere too.

I believe it's just one solar panel that's needed to power the generator - here's a link (below) you can pass on to your friend. I'm gonna get as independent as possible in this new world environment - damn government is trying to run everything and tell us what to do what to drive....talking about fairness here and fairness there....DAMN crooks and liars can't tell me anything.

http://mysolarbackupv.com/

Yeah the govt is overbearing in many ways, especially when it comes to drug laws. Marijuana should not be illegal and should be decriminalized, marijuana being decriminalized could help tamper inflation through taxes. Taxes which could pay down the debt......but since when do the idiots in Washington DC care about paying down the debt lol
  • I remember when gas was 96 cents a gallon and a quarter pounder meal from mcdonalds was $3. Cigs were 2.50 a pack back in 06-07. The times will never come back.

Gas at 96 cents a gallon back in 2007?? Holy shit.....cigarettes were definitely cheaper back in the day, I don't smoke them but the prices definitely are more expensive now by far. Thanks to the high cost of so many goods these days, the only things I buy in large amounts now are weed and....wow that's it. Everything else I try to find good deals on and buy very seldom. I'm grateful the underground economy hasn't seen a price hike for the most part. I don't even go to the movies as often as I used to, my fam buys bootleg dvds that have the same quality as anything I see on TV.

Na...gas was 96cents back in like, 1997-1998
  • SionSion Posts: 18,405

I could've sworn you said once before you live in Canada, but I've been to Canada twice, I can safely say it is a lovely nation and has great people. America for the most part has great people too, a TON of fucked up people though.....

As far as Obama's debt pile up, it's still disappointing he's raised the debt so much. As Occupy Wall Street eloquently says all the time, Democrats and Republicans are both part of the problem. Republicans are worse but Obama is too much like Bush for my liking, especially when it comes to his war spending (which is disgraceful and pathetic)

@ bolded aahhh shucks fam lolol.... Canada >>> America....

@ the Obama shit.... that is NOT true, that shit is FAR from the truth. In 8 years Bush shot debt levels to historic highs. Obama inherited the debt that Bush put on America and actually has lowered it MUCH more than Bush did (Bush NEVER even attempted to lower debt), the only thing Bush did was make the rich - richer at your expense & own Welfare. Bush is WHY your country lost it's reputation and fell into dire financial strain.

I could've sworn you said once before you live in Canada
    well, i do think hockey is cool and enjoy cold weather
    sionb55 wrote: »
    whoa whoa whoa whoa whoa
    @ the Obama shit.... that is NOT true, that shit is FAR from the truth. In 8 years Bush shot debt levels to historic highs. Obama inherited the debt that Bush put on America and actually has lowered it MUCH more than Bush did-
    well, if we're talking about gross debt, you're not correct because the debt hasn't gone down (so Obama hasn't lowered it at all); if we're talking deficit, i'm pretty sure it's also been much larger under Obama's term (which is why we're talking about spending at a faster rate rather than total spent). that all being said, if you've got something contradictory to throw out there, i am all ears

now, obviously he inherited some stuff, and made some stuff his own, and is not solely responsible for the spending... but let's not start saying he showed up and rapidly lowered our debt
    edited March 2012
    Thank god i can still get 24oz of 211 for $1.50.

YES SIR!!! Thank god for that and the low cost of weed. I'm convinced cheap weed and liquor is the reason there aren't riots going on in America right now, things are really bad in some places and I'm surprised people aren't wilding out in the streets considering the hard economic times so many are in....that and basketball and football and American Idol ( a show I hate for the record)
    edited March 2012

@ the Obama shit.... that is NOT true, that shit is FAR from the truth. In 8 years Bush shot debt levels to historic highs. Obama inherited the debt that Bush put on America and actually has lowered it MUCH more than Bush did (Bush NEVER even attempted to lower debt), the only thing Bush did was make the rich - richer at your expense & own Welfare. Bush is WHY your country lost it's reputation and fell into dire financial strain.

Canada probably is a better place to live than America these days. You guys have a public option for healthcare right?? That or a much cheaper healthcare system than America's, at least that's what I've heard.....

As far as Obama I know he's inherited a ton of debt, 10 trillion I believe. Bush is one of the worst, if not the worst, American president of all time. With that being said, what do you mean Obama has lowered the debt? The debt is at 16 trillion now.....
    edited March 2012

Canada probably is a better place to live than America these days. You guys have a public option for healthcare right?? That or a much cheaper healthcare system than America's, at least that's what I've heard.....

As far as Obama I know he's inherited a ton of debt, 10 trillion I believe. Bush is one of the worst, if not the worst, American president of all time. With that being said, what do you mean Obama has lowered the debt? The debt is at 16 trillion now.....

Obama is NOT responsible for the U.S. debt problem. And the U.S. dont have to worry about their debt loads b/c they have an incredible economy w/ strong industries all across the board, thats highly productive & becoming far stronger than befor. They dont have to worry also b/c the cost of their debt is at a historic low. Countries like Japan are running 200% debt to GDP and haven't crashed and burned. But as I've said countless times b4, it takes a long time to turn around a 15 trillion dollar economy. But at the end of the day something that has been true since 1776 is America's best days are ahead.
    edited March 2012

Obama is NOT responsible for the U.S. debt problem. And the U.S. dont have to worry about their debt loads b/c they have an incredible economy w/ strong industries all across the board, thats highly productive & becoming far stronger than befor. They dont have to worry also b/c the cost of their debt is at a historic low. Countries like Japan are running 200% debt to GDP and haven't crashed and burned. But as I've said countless times b4, it takes a long time to turn around a 15 trillion dollar economy. But at the end of the day something that has been true since 1776 is America's best days are ahead.

Can you at least admit Obama is partially responsible for the debt problem?? An endless war in Afghanistan that we can't afford is still going on bro!!!! Come on!!! Obama is at least partially responsible for the debt problem. He also took his sweet ass time leaving Iraq, going by BUSH's timetable.....

Japan hasn't crashed and burned but they have a huge generation of adults living with their parents because things are so expensive over there, just like America. Inflation does cause massive problems, raising the cost of living by so much due to constant printing of dollars that aren't benefiting us in the long run is always a problem. That's the reason why I'm skeptical if America's best days are ahead, I talk to many young people and older people, and most would disagree with you. Cost of living for housing is through the roof these days, and it's not gonna go down in the future lol. Many places in America have cheap housing but not most! Not based on articles I read....I do believe America is still a great country overall and can possibly rebound in a much stronger way, but reading the newspapers doesn't leave me very optimistic some days. You know a lot about economics though so maybe I'm just thinking negative but again, the news reports are pretty scary.

Bush is one of the worst, if not the worst, American president of all time.
    SUCH HYPERBOLE

James Buchanan is the worst president of all time. Bush II should at least only start getting rated once we get a LITTLE further beyond his presidency.

Can you at least admit Obama is partially responsible for the debt problem?? An endless war in Afghanistan that we can't afford is still going on bro!!!! Come on!!! Obama is at least partially responsible for the debt problem. He also took his sweet ass time leaving Iraq, going by BUSH's timetable.....

Japan hasn't crashed and burned but they have a huge generation of adults living with their parents because things are so expensive over there, just like America. Inflation does cause massive problems, raising the cost of living by so much due to constant printing of dollars that aren't benefiting us in the long run is always a problem. That's the reason why I'm skeptical if America's best days are ahead, I talk to many young people and older people, and most would disagree with you. Cost of living for housing is through the roof these days, and it's not gonna go down in the future lol. Many places in America have cheap housing but not most! Not based on articles I read....I do believe America is still a great country overall and can possibly rebound in a much stronger way, but reading the newspapers doesn't leave me very optimistic some days. You know a lot about economics though so maybe I'm just thinking negative but again, the news reports are pretty scary.

Well Obama is not responsible tho, if he was I'd say so. He inherited America at its weakest point in a very very long time and has been doing his best (and done extremely well) to help the country. I dont think u understand the magnitude of how fucked up the U.S. could of been if he let the banks fail or how hard it is to drop unemployment 40% from its highs since taking over a 15 trillion dollar economy. He ended the war in Afghanistan but its a progress to get troops out. Hes doing the best he can but people have to work with him.

& LOLOL dude in Japan thats just a cultural thing thats not b/c of economic malaise LOLOL. In Europe and India it's normal to be in your 30s or 40s as a male and still live with your parents. Inflation is bad true but in the 70s Americans lived for nearly a decade thru STAGFLATION and super high taxes (53% of ur income if u make 60k or more or 32% if u made 20-59k). Stagflation btw is more dangerous than deflation and inflation ESPECIALLY if it drags on for a long time and no one complained back then and America overcame that.

Im not gonna dwell too much on this thread, a lot of the shit im saying ive said countless times in the past. I cant change your perception I can only show you the truth - from there its up to you to decide what you want to believe in or not.
    Well Obama is not responsible tho, if he was I'd say so. He inherited America at its weakest point in a very very long time and has been doing his best (and done extremely well) to help the country. I dont think u understand the magnitude of how fucked up the U.S. could of been if he let the banks fail-
    some things, like not letting the banks fail, might have actually started under Bush...
    He ended the war in Afghanistan-
    wait, he ended the war in Afghanistan?
    A sign of just how serious inflation is becoming in America. A couple makes 100 K a year and they still don't feel well off, despite having only two children....

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/first-person-earn-more-100-000-still-feel-151200753.html

Expenses: Our fixed expenses include $350 a month for utilities, $300 for car insurance, $175 for Internet, cable and phone. We owe $1,222.02 a month on our mortgage and $300 on a car loan. We have no other debt. We save 10 percent of our income for retirement. We spend at least $500 a month on gasoline and an astounding $1,000 a month on food. I’d feel rich if I was eating at upscale restaurants or buying gourmet foods, but our food budget just provides the basics for four people.

Education: We are spending about $15,000 a year for tuition and books to send our two sons to community college. When they transfer to the university in another year, those expenses will more than double. My older son pays $5,000 or about half of his tuition costs since he has a part-time job, but my younger son hasn’t been able to find employment. I’d feel wealthy if I was struggling to send my sons to an Ivy League College, but this is just community college.

We purchased stocks to help fund our sons' college education, but the stocks took a big dive. We are hoping the value of their stocks will recover to help pay for the last couple years of college. We don't want them to take out college loans, but they may have no choice.