Half of College Grads Find Either No Work or No Degree-Related Work

Bully_PulpitBully_Pulpit FactsmachinePosts: 5,300 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in For The Grown & Sexy
More than half of college students graduating this June can expect to find either no work, or work that doesn’t utilize their freshly minted skills, according to the Associated Press.

Of the 1.5 million bachelor’s degree holders under age 25, more are likely to be employed as waiters, waitresses, bartenders, or food-service helpers than as engineers, chemists, physicists, or mathematicians. More of them are working in office-related jobs such as receptionists or payroll clerks that in all computer-related jobs put together. Said the AP:

[O]nly three of the 30 occupations with the largest projected number of job openings by 2020 will require a bachelor's degree or higher to fill the position — teachers, college professors and accountants. Most job openings are in professions such as retail sales, fast food and truck driving, jobs which aren't easily replaced by computers…

College graduates who majored in zoology, anthropology, philosophy, art history and humanities were among the least likely to find jobs appropriate to their education level; those with nursing, teaching, accounting or computer science degrees were among the most likely.

Michael Bledsoe, 23, graduated in 2010 with a degree in creative writing and now works as a "barista" or coffee server in a Seattle, Washington, coffeehouse. When he first graduated, he sent out three or four résumés every day, but those who responded said he lacked any real-world experience and some questioned the practical value of his degree. Bledsoe said, “I don’t even know what I’m looking for. There isn’t much out there.”

Cameron Bawden, 22, who expects to graduate from the University of Nevada-Las Vegas in December, has a much more realistic view of the world that awaits: “It’s kind of scary … there are so few jobs.” So he has been busy building his résumé by working on the Las Vegas strip as a food runner as well as doing a marketing internship with a local airline.

But for 24-year-old Kelman Edwards, who just graduated with a degree in biology, the only job he could find was in construction. He said, “I thought my having a biology degree was a gold ticket for me getting into places, but every other job wants you to have previous history. Everyone is telling you, ‘Go to college,’ but when you graduate, it’s kind of an empty cliff.”

Edwards is not alone. A study done by The Chronicle of Higher Education illustrates the world he and his graduate classmates are facing:

482,000 customer service representatives hold at least a bachelor’s degree, along with
317,000 waiters and waitresses
141,000 receptionists
107,000 janitors (5,000 hold PhDs or other doctorates)
85,000 truck drivers
80,000 bartenders
63,000 food preparation workers
62,000 landscapers
59,000 construction workers
49,000 postal workers
37,000 hotel and motel desk clerks, and
18,000 parking lot attendants
The real world that graduates are facing has been predicted for years: more expensive higher-cost education touted as the ticket to high-level work confronted with a shrinking economy where such positions are increasingly hard to find.

Most of them bought into the promise that a higher education was the key to getting a “good job” and a chance to live the “American Dream.” But it hasn’t worked out. Michael, writing at his blog, said:

They have been told not to worry about how much it costs and that there is plenty of financial aid (mostly made up of loans) available. Now our economy is facing the biggest student loan debt bubble in the history of the world, and when our new college graduates enter the “real world” they are finding out that the good jobs they were promised are very few and far between.

For those considering taking on the debt obligations for a college degree, there are numerous options and alternatives, at much lower cost. World Net Daily managing editor David Kupelian explains:

New options abound. The Internet — as revolutionary today as the Gutenberg printing press was five centuries ago — offers endless opportunities for learning, including taking college courses from home. Trade schools, distance learning, community college, going into business, apprenticeships, internship and a hundred other opportunities beckon.
thenewamerican.com/culture/education/11629-half-of-college-grads-find-either-no-work-or-no-degree-related-work
Nothing new really, but is anybody on here in this boat?

Replies

• HafBaykedHafBayked Just A Nut Lookin For A Squirrel RATCHET CITY, LAPosts: 11,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    been working since the same year i dropped out.....
    Sion
  • BK ProductBK Product Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    those are some crazy ass numbers..... no degree for me. i got a job tho not a career.
  • hautehaute Posts: 11,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No comment because apparently I'm an elitist
    Sion
  • Elzo69RenaissanceElzo69Renaissance Free Da Guys ZionPosts: 28,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    scary shit...
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my degree in accounting and i do way more finance my 1st jog out of school i was working at teh DC morgue doign bullshit paperwork

If i had to to it all over again i can't honesty say i would've went to college might have been a truck driver or learned HVAC

loved the experience but that shit isn't the end all be all of success but it did pay off for me

my cousin runs a crain for a construction company and he makes 94,000
  • GrahfGrahf Posts: 342
    edited April 2012
    Not the case with me, but it really depends on your loc/deg. If you're majoring in English or multidisciplinary or philosophy...
  • BoldChildBoldChild Born alone, die alone. Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't care, imma get mines even if I have to steal, kill, and deal.
  • bgoatbgoat Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope, never experienced that shit. The minute I finished my bachelors, I had a job on deck ...

The problem is most college students are naive to the game. For some reason they think a degree in just any ol' thing will get them a job.

They think that college is about partying and fucking bitches instead of keeping that GPA over 3.0 so you can intern in the summer and get that real-world experience that the hiring managers are talking about. You can party and fuck bitches AFTER you get that real job. Until then, put in that work.

... People forget that all college is, is an investment in yourself. Before you enroll you should make sure the shit works out money-wise. Don't waste $50K on some bum ass degree and then come out crying because you can't get a job or because the only job you can get is paying damn near minimum wage. When shit like that happens, that's on you! You should have done the research before you threw away all that damn money!

Going back to get my Masters in Management, I'm tired of programming.
  • texas409texas409 Posts: 14,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I should have went and got a 2 year degree in process operating and make big bread instead of this 4 year business degree cause
  • texas409texas409 Posts: 14,085 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my area we have alot of refineries but I was young when and naive about some things
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It actually use to be that a college degree = a good paying job. But the Recession changed everything. Like, a game changer. Now people need to adapt to this barbaric new playing field, for far less reward.
  • IceBergTaylorIceBergTaylor The Spectacular Posts: 15,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got a bachelors in computer art but I won't front, times that I stayed at my college to work over the summers, I should have came back home and looked into internships. Its a struggle so far since alot of places you need prior experience, even though I can do anything basically graphic design wise, I need that experience. I'm lookin to go back into school for my masters cause I will succeed whether it kills me belee dat!
  • Aristo_V300Aristo_V300 Posts: 6,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe if they didn't get a degree in bullshit they'd have a job... a degree in philosophy ain't gonna put food on the table.
    Kaiceothachosen1Anti_matter
  • ShizlanskyShizlansky Nothing better then being a father. Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's more then half.

• -Vincenzo--Vincenzo- Posts: 3,375
    Wild Self wrote: »
    It actually use to be that a college degree = a good paying job. But the Recession changed everything. Like, a game changer. Now people need to adapt to this barbaric new playing field, for far less reward.

recession is over, gdp is expected to grow 2 point something this year.

when it's all said and done a degree is a door opener, nothing more nothing less. if you got no hustle, it's only half as much worth.
  • blackrainblackrain Posts: 18,988 Regulator
    Fuck college, it's a waste of money...everybody should be trying to run their own business...blah blah blah blah
    AggyAFSionbankrupt baller
  • Ear2ThaStEar2ThaSt Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • KaiKai evil nerd bitch from hell Posts: 21,446 Regulator

there's no way this is true for STEM graduates
    JDSTAYWITIT.
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kai_valya wrote: »
    there's no way this is true for STEM graduates

Not everyone is capable of that.
  • mr.jamrockmr.jamrock Posts: 435 ✭✭✭
    I believe these numbers mad niggas I know graduated and got regular job's thinking a damn degree in physical education gonna give you a 100,000 salary. and please im tired of people getting a degree in buisness damn, Oh well still working on graduating. Oh and please someone tell these forty year olds going back to college that a degree dont guarntee them a better job why? because some 20 year old fresh out of college,will do the same job for way less.
  • 7figz7figz Ig'nant Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is why you research your career before and while you're in college and make sure you get the right degree.
  • 7figz7figz Ig'nant Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    7fIG wrote: »
    This is why you research your career before and while you're in college and make sure you get the right degree.

The degrees that are in high demand are math and science. I'm not doing that because I think it's boring and have no talent for it. Not everyone wants to go into those fields, you know what I mean?

I guess it depends on if you're going to college to make money or to do what you enjoy. I went strictly to make money.
    -Vincenzo-
  • JDSTAYWITIT.JDSTAYWITIT. .........Call Me On Shiniqua's Phone #GIANTS #2014/2012/2010 #FUCK.KCPosts: 11,434 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of these grads set themselves up for failure tho ...getting these bullshit ass degrees "zoology,philosophy,art history?" wtf was they expecting ... but shit is real tho no doubt ...a bunch of people in my generation are going to be so far in debt it'll be interesting to see if in 20 years kids will be able to afford college at all..
  • SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 22,748 Regulator
    edited April 2012
    For those saying things like "well pick the right degree" and all that, yo remember not everybody is cut to be a businessman or CEO, an engineer, lawyer or something. Some people love history, philosophy, politics or w/e. The world still needs people like that despite what how you value them. Either way I think the article is nonsense. Basically it says - don't go to college, b/c if u go ur not gonna find a job and ur gonna waste 50k. I think its nonsense and another reason WHY the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Shit if everyone is going into business to start their own business then who the hell is working ? SMH

If more people start to believe in this "fuck college" attitude we're gonna have a generation of dumb ass kids and larger wealth disparities.
    [Deleted User]Wild SelfA.J. Trillzynskiwillhustle