The Official Boxing Thread

Replies

• stringer bellstringer bell Posts: 7,749
    sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/chris_mannix/05/02/miguel.cotto.floyd.mayweather/index.html
    Cotto buoyed by quiet confidence ahead of Mayweather showdown

Back in 2006, Top Rank kicked around the idea of matching two of its brightest young stars: Floyd Mayweather and Miguel Cotto. Mayweather, at the time, was coming off the biggest win of his career, a one-sided destruction of Arturo Gatti. Cotto was undefeated and in the middle of a two-year reign as junior welterweight champion.

The fight never happened, of course: Mayweather split with Top Rank and went on to fight Oscar De La Hoya in 2007; that same year Cotto jumped up to welterweight and won high-profile fights against Zab Judah and Shane Mosley.

"Everything happens in life for a reason," Cotto said. "Fights can't happen four, five, six years ago, but they happen now. I think this is the right moment for this fight."

On Saturday night, Cotto (37-2, 30 KOs) and Mayweather (42-0, 26 KOs) will finally face off when they fight for Cotto's junior middleweight title at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas (9 p.m. ET, HBO PPV). Though Cotto believes it is the right moment, many have argued it is years too late, that Cotto is a fraction of the fighter he was before brutal beatings at the hands of Antonio Margarito and Manny Pacquiao. Cotto is unbeaten since moving up to 154 pounds but his opponents (Yuri Foreman, Ricardo Mayorga, Margarito) are nowhere near the same class as Mayweather.

"Nobody is invincible in life," Cotto said. "I know that because I passed through this point in my life. I'm ready for anything Floyd brings me. The question is, is Floyd ready for anything Miguel can bring to him? I know he's a hard worker. He has said to everybody he's a hard worker, but he's going to have in front of him a hard worker like him. I'm trusting in myself. I know what I have to do to get the victory."

Cotto says he is in a good place mentally now, in part due to his recent win over Margarito. In 2008, Margarito battered Cotto, forcing a bloodied and beaten Cotto to quit in the 11th round. However in his next fight, against Shane Mosley, Margarito was caught trying to slip a plaster-like substance into his hand wraps, calling into question all of Margarito's wins, including the win over Cotto. Last December, Cotto got a measure of revenge, when he stopped Margarito in a decisive 10th-round TKO.

"I have everything I took from Margarito's victory, the things he stole from me," Cotto said. "The things he grabbed from me. I have [them] back and I feel much better right now."

Cotto believes his experience is an advantage going into the fight. While Mayweather and Pacquiao are the two biggest pay-per-view draws in boxing, Cotto is right behind them. He has sold out Madison Square Garden. He has been in high-profile fights and felt what it is like to be in a fishbowl, with HBO's 24/7 cameras chronicling his every move. Unlike some of Mayweather's previous opponents, Cotto won't be intimidated.

Consider: When Mayweather declared that Puerto Ricans will be disappointed with Cotto's performance, Cotto said ... nothing.

"I am a different fighter," Cotto said. "I will not play into Mayweather's games. I am not the type of fighter that will just fall into the games of Mayweather. He wants his opponents to behave a certain way. I will not respond to whatever he has to say. By the end of [Saturday], everybody will see who will be disappointed."

Another edge Cotto feels he will have will be the weight. Mayweather is moving up to 154 pounds, a weight class he has only fought at once (against De La Hoya) in his career. Cotto is comfortable at 154, having been fighting at that weight since 2010.

"If he wants my title, he has to fight in my weight," Cotto said. "And he does it in the correct way. It's my weight class. I feel comfortable in here. I'm feeling pretty strong."

Still, Cotto knows he is a big underdog. Oddsmakers have established Mayweather as a 7-to-1 favorite, just slightly lower than the 8-to-1 favorite Mayweather was in his last fight against Victor Ortiz. Yet Cotto has a cool, natural confidence that has not waned.

"Everything is running according to plan, right on schedule," Cotto said. "I will be ready to counter anything that Mayweather brings. "When I step into the ring with Mayweather in front of me, I will be completely ready to obtain the victory."
  • playmaker88playmaker88 Posts: 43,794
    R.D. wrote: »
    ghost! wrote: »
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    I'm saying cotto will knock down floyd

not happening its impossible

That is untrue, Mosely gave him a scare in their fight. If Mosely had stayed smart, you probably could of seen floyd going down. Remember, Mosely is a old kat and still had enough power to effect floyd when he did. And although this is waaay back in floyd's career, Zab confused floyd as well in the earlier rounds of their fight...just both two fighters were not smart enough to maintain their good fortunes..and floyd like the intelligent boxer he is, found a way to overcome that.

not saying Cotto will floor him, but he has the power to.

Mosley has more one punch power than Cotto

He does but any one of Cottos punches has more impact.. he has that impact that kinda stays with you
  • R.D.R.D. Posts: 10,370

Cotto can punch, yes or no (whose has more, that's not for me to debate) the fact is, can box, has skill, and power.

if Mosely at the age he fought F.M. at, can effect him, so can Cotto.

im just saying, cotto wont shock you like that with one punch. it comes from a accumulation of punches. Cotto never hurt Zab with one punch, he just beat him down over the course of the fight, same with yuri foreman, paulie, and everybody else he's fought
  • pralimspralims Posts: 12,174
    cotto did low blow judah when judah was winning or should i say getting at him

will cotto lowblow floyd if floyd gets in his ass
  • Vader_F_KennedyVader_F_Kennedy Posts: 12,844
    Vader wrote: »
    anybody havin fight parties for the floyd fight

For the first time in a long time, me and my girl are. Personally i already told her, i dont even care who comes or dont come. I'll sit in that livingroom by my damn self and watch this fight! Sh8t i'm gonna be in heaven come sat night. and she's cooking wings too! A nig is gonna be giddy as fuck, plus "Avangers" comes out on friday!

yea im freeloadin off of someone else for this fight niggas always come to my crib for every fight so ill be a mooch come this weekend i deserve it lol
  • Vader_F_KennedyVader_F_Kennedy Posts: 12,844
    Haul Judos wrote: »
    just found out ribs going on sale for a $1 a pound Saturday only......imma have to get up like 6am 2 make sure i can get 2 loads for the slow cooker at 4 hours a piece...

damn i bet niggas gon be lining up!
  • ghost!ghost! Posts: 4,833

Cotto can punch, yes or no (whose has more, that's not for me to debate) the fact is, can box, has skill, and power.

if Mosely at the age he fought F.M. at, can effect him, so can Cotto.

im just saying, cotto wont shock you like that with one punch. it comes from a accumulation of punches. Cotto never hurt Zab with one punch, he just beat him down over the course of the fight, same with yuri foreman, paulie, and everybody else he's fought

yea that one punch ish wouldnt work on floyd anyways, that is why mosley was breeze after that lil scare when they fought. And like i been saying and feel Cotto will have that chance, because he doesnt fight like that...he doesnt look for that "one punch" no matter what.
  • Bcotton5Bcotton5 Posts: 37,157
    Yea we got the wings for Saturday and I always get the top shelf liquor for Floyd fights
  • ghost!ghost! Posts: 4,833
    Fuck! Just found out my girls crib gonna be loaded w ppl come sat. I now gotta move furniture n mk sure the liquor is on tap! Man I'm getting my spot early!! I'm gonna be just like "Martin" when he was trying to watch the fight! Up front, " not now partna I'm trying to watch the fight!
  • WallWall Posts: 5,367
    nycest_1 wrote: »
    lol this is some serious twilight zone shit.
    khan fought peterson using a very similar style to floyd yet hes being called out for running and bike ridin, and floyd gets a pass?
    You should slap the fuck out of yourself for even letting some sick, twisted, and demented shit like this even creep into your mind Lol You usually be on point with your comments/knowledge but the shit you just typed should be punishable by death. Seriously, take a page out of Junior Seau's book and open your heart to what I am telling you :tu

• Mr.ForteMr.Forte Posts: 2,698
    "You beat up 21 or 22 mexican fighters, will this be the next victim" lmao Mosely " Yeah" Shane Mosely is the current "Mexicutioner"

• DWODWO Posts: 41,871
    ok, so direct tv jacked hbo for the shane/cotto fight from november 2007.....

wife was making quesadeia's , baby was sleep.....and i was only drinking light beer.....

115-115
  • bull6599bull6599 Posts: 6,332
    What's the line on Alvarez/Mosley. I heard Shane was like a 6 to 1 underdog.
  • aneed123aneed123 Posts: 12,968
    Mr.Forte wrote: »
    Malignaggi & Roy Jones Jr. on Mayweather vs Khan

good insight from both. i agree Khan is awkward but Floyd would adjust

Man I agree wit everything they said , especially about Mayweather vs Amir Khan, watching Khan vs Judah made think I would like to see what adjustment Floyd would make vs that style.

I agree with the other dude that said Khan DID beat Peterson but he lost because of the fouls. Even though Im pulling for Peterson
  • KNiGHTSKNiGHTS Posts: 3,146
    pralims wrote: »
    cotto did low blow judah when judah was winning or should i say getting at him

will cotto lowblow floyd if floyd gets in his ass

He bout beat Judah into a eunuch in that fight. Shame Judah was trying to act hard body in front of the home crowd instead of using the time to properly recover.
  • nycest_1nycest_1 Posts: 1,876
    cotto will do a lot better than ppl think he will..and about his speech floyd has always had broken speech. lol at yall talkin bout he took to much punishment in sparring smh

right

add that on to the fact he aint finish school

he posed to talk like a scholar ?
    Mrslim1 wrote: »
    Was at the first Khan vs Peterson fight . Once Khan starting running , I knew he was going to lose . You cant be the champ and run.

khan fought peterson using a very similar style to floyd yet hes being called out for running and bike ridin, and floyd gets a pass?

prime example of what i mean

this nigga just compared what khan did to what floyd does

Where's Roger when you need him

lol ok so you obviously exposed yourself with that biased stupidity.
    khan fought backing up and didnt stay in the pocket to trade.
    so does floyd
    the difference between the 2 is floyd is more effective at not being hit on the way out.
    next time actually think when you post
    you sound dumb saying its a different strategy
    MSOI wrote: »
    You should slap the fuck out of yourself for even letting some sick, twisted, and demented shit like this even creep into your mind Lol You usually be on point with your comments/knowledge but the shit you just typed should be punishable by death. Seriously, take a page out of Junior Seau's book and open your heart to what I am telling you :tu

again, ya'll need to think about shit before posting.
    when khan fought peterson he retreated for space and tried to fight on the outside because it was obvious peterson prefered inside fighting.
    in this twilight zone ya'll niggaz livin in, floyd doesnt fight from the outside and retreat to create distance?
    stop capin for mayweather and actually watch a fight or two.
    he does the same shit, just at a more successful rate.
    hes better at hitting and not getting hit but has no problem retreating.
    and if anything it bothers me more with him because as you could see watching the mosley fight, he doesnt have to retreat as much against slower opponents
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    I'm saying cotto will knock down floyd

not happening its impossible

That is untrue, Mosely gave him a scare in their fight. If Mosely had stayed smart, you probably could of seen floyd going down. Remember, Mosely is a old kat and still had enough power to effect floyd when he did. And although this is waaay back in floyd's career, Zab confused floyd as well in the earlier rounds of their fight...just both two fighters were not smart enough to maintain their good fortunes..and floyd like the intelligent boxer he is, found a way to overcome that.

not saying Cotto will floor him, but he has the power to.

cotto combos a little better and has pretty good timing against faster fighters too
    cotto will do a lot better than ppl think he will..and about his speech floyd has always had broken speech. lol at yall talkin bout he took to much punishment in sparring smh

right

Was at the first Khan vs Peterson fight . Once Khan starting running , I knew he was going to lose . You cant be the champ and run.

so does floyd
    the difference between the 2 is floyd is more effective at not being hit on the way out.

right

lol further proof in this same ass vid where paulie spoke on khans style
    (lol i stepped into the feelings zone with a 3rd post in a row lol but since i'm here)

youtube.com/watch?v=xyjaojqkGmk&feature=related
    its a while ago, but u can't tell me there was no similarity to floyd and khan in that vid
  • R.D.R.D. Posts: 10,370

right

so does floyd

lmaoooo bruh, dont make me find the video

i dare you to find one video where floyd did backwards sprint like khan

If Floyd was running like that, id call him out but he doesnt

Khan was running, Cotto in Marg 2 fight was running but to a lesser extent than Khan

right

so does floyd

right

(lol i stepped into the feelings zone with a 3rd post in a row lol but since i'm here)

its a while ago, but u can't tell me there was no similarity to floyd and khan in that vid

right

so does floyd

right

lol linking to a vid of Floyd fighting with a broken shoulder and 2 fractured ribs