Boxing is starting to get boring

Replies

• twizza 77twizza 77 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    txboi_09 wrote: »
    People have been saying how boxing is dead or what not but at the end of the day every time Money May or Pacman fights that shit is an event and people tune in to watch. Look at the people in the crowd at a UFC fight and then look at the celebrities at a boxing match and you tell me what sport America enjoys more.

But look at top 10 PPV buys, usually top 2 is Mayweather/Pacquiao then 7 of those are UFC and 1 is Wrestlemania.
  • txboi_09txboi_09 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    twizza 77 wrote: »
    txboi_09 wrote: »
    People have been saying how boxing is dead or what not but at the end of the day every time Money May or Pacman fights that shit is an event and people tune in to watch. Look at the people in the crowd at a UFC fight and then look at the celebrities at a boxing match and you tell me what sport America enjoys more.

But look at top 10 PPV buys, usually top 2 is Mayweather/Pacquiao then 7 of those are UFC and 1 is Wrestlemania.

Well yeah thats to be expected I mean UFC fights every month May and Pac fight once a year and when they do they shit on anything UFC puts out numbers wise.
  • Meet The SniperMeet The Sniper Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭
    I like UFC more than boxing now.

Hopkins/Pascal was the last fight I enjoyed. That shit was hilarious.
  • dwade206dwade206 Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mumo_X wrote: »
    RZA & the Wu aint gon cosign dat Shit B. Boxing & Soccer are my favorite sports and aint none of yall can tel me shit.

check my Boxing threads Bruh!

Ali
    SRR
    jj
    Iron Mike
    louis
    armstrong

those are few of my favorites. And i can mention 25 more boxers that fought tougher competition and had better careers than Gayweather.

Cotto stil a solid fighter but he aint the same boxer he used to be years back.

does Premo stil craft the Classic beats today like he used to in the early 90s?

...again, a proper rebuttal hasn't been offered.
  • themadlionsfanthemadlionsfan Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pennyda1 wrote:
    Mayweather destroys cotto, Mosley damn near gets owned th whole fight, klitchco has been dominating....it's like every fight is damn near predictable

r u causal fan?......if so....the ufc is that way>>>>>>>>>>>
    Vader_F_Kennedy
  • twizza 77twizza 77 Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Problem with boxing is politics. Needs to be a sole entity, no more multiple belts, seems like everyone is a champ. They need to stack with good undercards much like UFC does. Lastly, a good american heavyweight.
    Vader_F_Kennedy
  • BigBallsNoWorriesBigBallsNoWorries Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    twizza 77 wrote: »
    Problem with boxing is politics. Needs to be a sole entity, no more multiple belts, seems like everyone is a champ. They need to stack with good undercards much like UFC does. Lastly, a good american heavyweight.

thats right its the fucking crooked ass judges, and politics fucking the game up

there a bunch of good ass fighters coming up

boxing can never "die", the ones who say that are the casual fans that come around every once and while

and those are the niggaz u cant talk boxing with them for a minute without wanting to strangle them

"Nigga that dont know shit about boxing": Mayweather fought nothing but bums, thats y he is 43-0, this guy Julio Cesar Chavez is 44-0, that means hes better than floyd

"True Ass, Real Nigga Boxing Fan": *Thinking*Yo nigga, i swear if you open your mouth one more time, i'm going to beat the dog shit out of your dumb ass, u dont know a god damn thing about boxing, prolly thinking that mike tyson is still fighting , pussy ass nigga *Thinking*, Uh nah nigga, i cant see that, stop hating

yo but saying boxing is boring sounds retarded as fuck

fighters like broner, khan, petterson, canelo, gary russell jr, seth mitchell, ortiz, berto, ward, gamboa, rigondeaux, lara, dulorme, quillen and many more

are the future of the sport, boxing can never "die"

no way a sport that produced champions like Ali, Leonard, Duran, Pryor, Arguello, Whitaker, Hopkins, Jones jr, Toney, Mayweather, Ricardo Lopez, Shavers, Holmes and GOAT robinson is going to die

yea UFC is more "popular" depending on who you ask

but boxing stays producing the bigger events, where celebrities stay coming
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Posts: 15,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    The bold is not true. The sport is fine, its always the fighters within the era that define the lucrative aspects. Also there are many more sports than ever before that are being broadcast so it just harder for boxers to create a solid fan base. Mayweather could not break PPV records and be the highest paid athlete if the bold were true.

I'm not saying the sport is dead, but it's not what it was. How can you even argue that? Boxing used to be one of the sports shown on primetime network television. Hell, you could catch boxing on a sunday on ABC the same way you might golf or tennis or any other sport. Now you'll only catch it late night on ESPN on the weekends or premium channels like HBO and Showtime. That's a significant change. And saying that Mayweather couldn't break PPV records if boxing was falling off is definitely false. The whole reason he's so able to do that is because he's one of the only two draws in the sport right now. By and large, the only boxers the greater boxing fanbase want to see unanimously are Floyd and Manny. With that fact, it stands to reason that they will both always do big numbers because the boxing fanbase is going to always tune in. It's not like back in the day where you might catch big fights every month and catch good fights every week.
    The bold is once again incorrect. These "Greats" were most likely given fights by a promoter. Promoters are known for hand picking. Sugar Ray was retired before he fought Hagler if I'm not mistaken. He took the fight a few years down the line. Fighters "primes" can be debated. Floyd is tecnichally past his own "Prime". Your throwing the word "great" around meaninglessly. Personally, I think Roy Jones was a good fighter but even when he was on top people said he was ducking plenty of boxers.

I don't see how I'm throwing the term "greats" around meaninglessly. We can go net search and pick a list of the generally considered top 10s. That can be the basis for who we call great. How many of them do you think will have a common pattern of them fighting potential big named opponents 2-5 years after the fight was really desired. I'm not saying it never happens. You bring up Roy Jones. He's probably my second favorite fighter ever, and I still say you could make a good argument that he ducked BHop. That said, that's pretty much the only person he's ever been accused of ducking. People more often criticize the competition he faced over his career, but they don't really claim he ran away from people. There are people who can actually give you credible arguments that show a pattern of Floyd avoiding fights when they are ripe for the picking.
    Ok I have a problem with understanding what your trying to point out here. Floyd has fought many fighters who were undefeated and at there so called best in their so called "prime", and the outcome has been the same. Floyd was also handed fights by Bob Arum until 2006 or so. I think its funny that Arum was trying his best to get Floyd to fight Margarito before he left Top Rank. Bottom line you view boxing as a sport when it is, but its also a business. When you combine the two you get money. Everything else is just hype.

The point is that many of the people that Floyd took his time fighting many of the fighters that people believed posed a true threat to him. Yes, he fought Cotto and yes he fought Mosely, but how long did those fights occur after they were really put on the table? Did either of those fighters look as good when they fought Floyd as they did when people first wanted Floyd to fight them. Now look at the shenanigans with Paq. Granted I'll point out that Paq has been as complicit in the BS as Floyd and maybe even moreso now. But when Floyd first came out of retirement, Paq and his group were pushing for the fight. Floyd was the one refusing. First it was because he didn't want an equal split and then it was because of unfounded doping rumors. I mean come on really. This man came out of retirement while the boxing world was on fire with Mannymainia and said he wouldn't fight for an even split because he was the draw and people would only watch the fight to see him. What kinda arrogant and silly BS is that? Let's be real, can you really see any of the all-time greats refuse what may be their career defining fight with that kind of reasoning?
    Mumo_Xthemadlionsfanalmighty breeze
  • MR.CJMR.CJ Posts: 48,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait a minute roy jones ducked b-hop???

mosley didn't want to fight floyd, larry merchant asked would he fight floyd mosley said his tooth was hurt.
  • Bcotton5Bcotton5 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    wait a minute roy jones ducked b-hop???

mosley didn't want to fight floyd, larry merchant asked would he fight floyd mosley said his tooth was hurt.

I give up , niggas just go with hear say over actual facts.

Floyd tried to fight back in 05 and Bob Arum said Cotto wasnt ready yet and revisionists now say Floyd was ducking Cotto lmao
  • DWODWO ♪♫♪ brewer's artPosts: 46,872 Regulator
    casual fans always make me laugh....

anyways...the numbers don't lie....boxing as a whole still brings in the numbers...i was looking for a theater all saturday that wasn't sold out to watch the fight....

one theater had 3 sold out screens for the mayweather fight....

3 sold out screens.. not to mention this was the avengers debut weekend......

niggaz needa stop playing
  • d.greend.green Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with the poster who said boxing been fell off.

I lost a lot of interest in boxing after Roy Jones Jr got KO'd by Tarver. I think RJJ was the best at the time. It was sad to see because RJJ had just made history beating that heavyweight (Ruiz). Since then its been Floyd's time i guess.

that's like saying baseball fell off...

just cuz you don't watch it doesn't mean it fell off.......

as long as the market si still there and it's still generating billions....it's safe to say it hasn't fell off...
  • d.greend.green Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember when ABC used to showing boxing. So i agree more national TV fights would help the sport i think.
  • Bawse D.LoxBawse D.Lox Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mumo_X wrote: »
    @dwade206

Now u buggin.... smh! How the Fuck is Mayweather a top 5 boxer all time? Im done.

when did u become a fan of the sport? U on dat dust shit.

Mayweather aint even amongst the best fighters in the lightweight division.

Whitaker >>>> Gayweather

nigga go watch african boxing, leave this shit to us.
    Black_ExcellencetrACE_evidence
  • yrohollayroholla Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭✭
    Lol at cats saying Floyd still draws big numbers implying that its because of his skill in the ring.....while he is the best defensive fighter possibly ever, im willing to bet that half of those numbers make up the people who just simply wanna see who gonna give him his first loss.....now if thats what Floyd was trying to do to make his money then props to him....if not, then he lucky as fuck that people wanna see him lose that bad
    Black_ExcellencetrACE_evidence
    regardless of why they're watching it..the point is...they're watching it...
    Black_Excellence
  • R.D.R.D. Posts: 11,583 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dawggggggggg dude said Roy ducked B hop lololololololol

and just say your favorite fighter fell off, cause boxing as a whole is still doing its thing

I can name at least 10 fighters off the top of my head i love watching right now
  • unspoken_respectunspoken_respect I smell tittys Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    No doubt. With out elite boxers it will stay garbage too. In every sport there has to be "juggernauts" to knock off the top. I maid a thread about this a month or two ago. Elites athletes and teams are needed for sports to be interesting.

Mayweather and Pacquiao are the only ones that fit that description and they wont even fight each other. Ask any casual fan about boxing and these will most likley be the only ones mentioned and that's not good.

Whats scary is after they retire what will be left of boxing? Boxing is almost dead and that's real.
  • HulkHustleHulkHustle Posts: 20,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No doubt. With out elite boxers it will stay garbage too. In every sport there has to be "juggernauts" to knock off the top. I maid a thread about this a month or two ago. Elites athletes and teams are needed for sports to be interesting.

Mayweather and Pacquiao are the only ones that fit that description and they wont even fight each other. Ask any casual fan about boxing and these will most likley be the only ones mentioned and that's not good.

Whats scary is after they retire what will be left of boxing? Boxing is almost dead and that's real.

307pvzr.gif
    MAKAVELI25
    also...don't forget what year this is...2012

all i can say is this.. if you think boxing is dead do me a favor.....

watch the Olympic boxing this summer....listen out for the top names, and watch these kids and try to gauge who you think has the best professional potential...

olympic boxing is like the march madness for boxing..only it comes every 4 years.....you're likely seeing the stars of tomorrow....

people who follow the amateur boxing scene can accurately tell you almost without fail the stars of tomorrow....and they're all hella young
  • playmaker88playmaker88 You over did it holmes, you in the danger zone, you shouldn't be alone Posts: 48,388 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shit every week there are highly entertaining/ important bouts so many of the future kings/prospects people just like to watch the "Superbowls" of boxing and call themselves fan.. shit You can start with FNF and see many of prospects/kings that are on the rise today the future of boxing all have made stops there
  • lamontbdclamontbdc Posts: 16,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not dead but it's on life support in terms of the masses giving a shit. Floyd will always draw attention and big crowds. It's just sad that nobody else is really that appealing. It's bout to be one of those purists/niche sports where there fan boys go over board b/c the rest of us don't care bout these lame ass Friday night fights. Or these terrible fights that come on showtime featuring foreign boxers nobody cares to watch. And the sad part is boxing did this to themselves. Too many wight classes, too many sanctioning bodies, and top heavy promoters ruining the competition. Bob Arum and other promoters building these dudes up by fighting total tomato cans. Got them basically fighting homeless dudes off the street. Then they get on the big stage and get whopped b/c they never have been pushed or challenged. You aren't going to build a fan base for your sport that way unless you assume we are just brainless.

The lack of a big time heavyweight hurts boxing just b/c ppl love superstars and guys that appear larger than life. And it's just not American's all the heavyweights are some garbage.

Just look at under cards today. you see 3 fights of folks you've never heard of and that you never want to see fight again for the most part. The talent level has dramatically dropped off. Guys fighting to protect their records instead of pushing themselves.

still good fighters out there they just aren't entertaining
  • IamNumberOneIamNumberOne You like me? That's cool...you don't like me? That's cool too Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember back in the early 2000s there was this left handed fighter with braids that came from the olympics... I wanted to follow his career cuz he seemed like he would have been the next big thing but then idk what happened to him.... thats when I use to watch all the fights HBO would give almost every week....anyone have a feeling of who im referring to?