"You youngings don't know ish about music"

Replies

• 5th Letter5th Letter AKA 5th Element Posts: 25,565 Regulator
    Things would improve if more balance was in the mainstream. I think it's slowly coming around IMO
    pop duke
  • antarticpantarticp Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SlickestR wrote: »
    if you're a Lover of MUSIC in general, it doesn't matter which genre it is, there's always going to be good music, you just gotta be open minded and keep your ear out there. It doesn't matter what year you were born or where you were born, there's always something from each generation that's going to catch your ear.

the artists, producers, the methods and the sound may change, but there's always going to be timeless music...

and on that note you are right...

But really all i wanted to point out was how funny it was that our elders were telling us that our music sucks and how we are not chastising the slightly younger generation for nominating wayne as the best rapper alive... or whoever they feeling right now when we compare them to the ones we consider the greatest

however @least our old heads had a different style of music ... most of them were Soul Music listeners or RNB listeners ... and we introduced them to rap ... which was something totally different ...... today its still rap same music but just some ole bubble gum bullshit for the most part ....... if the music changed to another style like it did when it went from Soul Singing to hip hop ..... then i could see it ....... but im sure its the same deal ..... but not all the way for that fact
    BostonDro
  • angrymanincangrymaninc Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    Jamaica wrote: »
    Things would improve if more balance was in the mainstream. I think it's slowly coming around IMO

yeah but how do you see the balance coming around??? yea i can't front i love the mmg movement & most of the good music movement but other than that i don't cosign most of the artist coming out
    antarticp wrote: »
    i know im bitter but im trying to do better LOL ;)

hahahahahaha that's exactly what i'm trying to do
  • Kwan DaiKwan Dai Posts: 3,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree the majority of today's Hip Hop is ass. I'm a 70's baby and I can say for certain. Hip Hop was born and spawned from the music our parents listened to. We respected the soul of James, Marvin, Stevie and Otis. We respected the Funk of the Bar-Kays and George. That's a very short list of artists but the point is, we jammed to our parents Music.

I will agree that some of the elders thought that Hip Hop sucked. It was because, Hip Hop was some shit that they had never heard before. Hell We had never heard anything like it. But early Hip Hop used live Musicians that had ties to Funk, Soul and Disco. What we did know as youngsters was we were down with it if it was jamming.

Fast forward to 2012 and the problem here is that someone like myself who has been listening and partaking in Hip Hop for 30+ years knows what good Hip Hop is. So, I can compare todays Hip Hop to Hip Hop of the 70's, 80's etc etc. This is not my parents or elders comparing Hip Hop to Funk, Soul, or Blues. And what my biggest issue is, with today's artists is, they just aren't creative. They aren't adding any Musical, or artistic value to Hip Hop. The majority are just leeches and carbon copies past artists. Most of these dudes are biters and then try to pass off their music as ground breaking and new. When, it's not.
    Dharmic XGarv*BostonDro
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    I agree the majority of today's Hip Hop is ass. I'm a 70's baby and I can say for certain. Hip Hop was born and spawned from the music our parents listened to. We respected the soul of James, Marvin, Stevie and Otis. We respected the Funk of the Bar-Kays and George. That's a very short list of artists but the point is, we jammed to our parents Music.

I will agree that some of the elders thought that Hip Hop sucked. It was because, Hip Hop was some shit that they had never heard before. Hell We had never heard anything like it. But early Hip Hop used live Musicians that had ties to Funk, Soul and Disco. What we did know as youngsters was we were down with it if it was jamming.

Fast forward to 2012 and the problem here is that someone like myself who has been listening and partaking in Hip Hop for 30+ years knows what good Hip Hop is. So, I can compare todays Hip Hop to Hip Hop of the 70's, 80's etc etc. This is not my parents or elders comparing Hip Hop to Funk, Soul, or Blues. And what my biggest issue is, with today's artists is, they just aren't creative. They aren't adding any Musical, or artistic value to Hip Hop. The majority are just leeches and carbon copies past artists. Most of these dudes are biters and then try to pass off their music as ground breaking and new. When, it's not.

thats my whole issue with it ... but im still working to not be bitter and have more of an open mind ... cause @ the end of the day its just music its just entertainment and its employing alot of black folks that didnt have the opp to make a decent living ... so i can only be so bitter about the situation lol ;)

• pop dukepop duke Posts: 375
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

Yo Kwan U need to start posting more or I need to start posting less. I could use ur input N dis board more often cause da majority of da others(no hate) usually R obviously much younger or just simply don't agree. I totally agree with U pimpin!! I loved EVERYTHING my parents played musically. Da golden era & da true school era consisted of ALOTTA talented ppl. For anybody to defend dis crap within rap music today definitely didn't witness da gold or true era. U might've heard some of it @ best but didn't witness or partake.
  • Gen. StasiaGen. Stasia Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank god I had older parents because I grew up on 50s 60s and 70s music but I know this dude who mom plays Nicki and he can remember her playin Snoops first album. So I cant blame him if he don't know who The Spinners or Bobby Womack is. The Me Me Me nature of ppl has stopped us from family traditions or just general knowledge.
    pop dukeWild Self
  • Dharmic XDharmic X Posts: 104
    CirocObama wrote: »
    I'm only 22 but i still keep my ears and mind open. I've always been a well rounded music head, not just hip-hop wise. I always dig for older music but i can still appreciate a new song too as long as it evokes emotion, has lyrics or just content. But on the other side i really really can't stand most of my generation. Musically or just the way they are. That's why i'm kinda a loner. I'm far from a nerd or whatever but my way of thinking have always been a little different.

I feel ya homie. I'm 20.. There are a few of us out there, we just need to band together.

• 5th Letter5th Letter AKA 5th Element Posts: 25,565 Regulator

yeah but how do you see the balance coming around??? yea i can't front i love the mmg movement & most of the good music movement but other than that i don't cosign most of the artist coming out

A few years ago unless you were an established vet (jay, nas, Luda, busta, ti, etc) you had to make singles that fit a formula. You fast forward to 2012 and cats like drake, wake, j Cole, etc are making music that don't got the trap rap, snap music sound.
    pop duke

A few years ago unless you were an established vet (jay, nas, Luda, busta, ti, etc) you had to make singles that fit a formula. You fast forward to 2012 and cats like drake, wake, j Cole, etc are making music that don't got the trap rap, snap music sound.

very true and i see more coming cause them dudes will be alot more easier to market and promote cause their music isnt violent and they respect females for the most part visually and lyrically so they can be seen and perform in alot places those other artist cant because their music is all adult content ........
  • Dharmic XDharmic X Posts: 104
    So, I grew up on Bollywood music until I was 14, being Indian. And then I discovered DMX, and started to listen to what my friends were listening to (Khaled, Wayne, Luda, etc.) while simultaneously going back and researching hip-hop. I had Rakim, KGR, and NWA in my PSP with Wayne, etc.

Eventually, I found the underground of hip-hop music, and here I am at 20, a huge fan of the current underground as much as I'm a fan of the classics. My thing is this: I understand the older generation is busy and can't be searching all the time for new music in these new formats that are available for music, but if you're that concerned with the current state of the game, it makes sense to just ignore the formats that are perpetrating the rappers with no story and gravitate towards the MCs that are out there.

I have a personal boom-bap bias. First of all, there are OGs in the game that are STILL making dope records. OC just dropped one of the albums of the year with Apollo Brown. Showbiz & AG are about to drop a crazy album. Sean Price and Buckshot are getting ready to drop albums. The list goes on.

Secondly, there are quite a few newer artists making that type of music... Guys like Torae, Skyzoo, Joey Bada$$, etc. I know it takes some digging, but it's available.

I'll admit, a great number of our generation doesn't know much about good music, and gravitates towards wack shit. But there are a LOT of really talented, dope MCs and groups that you've likely never heard of that are making quality free projects. I think the focus of the older generation should be to support these artists and to teach whoever they can get to listen about good music.
    Thank god I had older parents because I grew up on 50s 60s and 70s music but I know this dude who mom plays Nicki and he can remember her playin Snoops first album. So I cant blame him if he don't know who The Spinners or Bobby Womack is. The Me Me Me nature of ppl has stopped us from family traditions or just general knowledge.

That's funny this is what i'm bumping today

That's funny this is what i'm bumping today

And again don't get me wrong there's still music that's coming out today that i feel still goes hard i'm just saying it ain't the same as it used to be

hey the great thing about not knowing is being put ON then going to find out who The Spinners are who Bobby Womack is ... smdh @ the youngins these days
    angrymaninc
    antarticp wrote: »
    thats my whole issue with it ... but im still working to not be bitter and have more of an open mind ... cause @ the end of the day its just music its just entertainment and its employing alot of black folks that didnt have the opp to make a decent living ... so i can only be so bitter about the situation lol ;)

I don't think there's any need to be bitter. Having an open mind is, the sole reason why I can say today's Hip Hop is mostly trash. And at the end of the day I cannot say it's just entertainment. That's not what Hip Hop has ever been for me personally. However, I will concede that Hip Hop has become entertainment for the majority of listeners. Which, by the way in my opinion is, not good.

• loch121loch121 Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hitta wrote: »
    lol well i just turned twenty in april so im a 90's baby all day but i feel some old school but really i think its more of the meaning behind the music...like back when N.W.A,KRS-One,2Pac,Biggie,Ice Cube&Ice-T was rapping all of them where rapping about shit that happened in the streets of that era so the people of the 80's generation can relate to that but now a days the folks born in like 1997&on cant relate to older artist alot because they aint go throught none of the shit this older rappers was talking about although that doesnt they dont bump there music it just means they hear the words but there not getting the whole meaning like somebody who was around when that song came out would cause they never lived that life they dont understand the meaning that song had or the effect it had on people living in that era

Yeah I can understand why younger kids not listening to older artists much. Cause they talk about shit that happened a lifetime ago.
    pop duke wrote: »
    Yo Kwan U need to start posting more or I need to start posting less. I could use ur input N dis board more often cause da majority of da others(no hate) usually R obviously much younger or just simply don't agree. I totally agree with U pimpin!! I loved EVERYTHING my parents played musically. Da golden era & da true school era consisted of ALOTTA talented ppl. For anybody to defend dis crap within rap music today definitely didn't witness da gold or true era. U might've heard some of it @ best but didn't witness or partake.

I appreciate the invitation. I chime in when I can or see a thread that interests me. My take on things is very simple, most people are followers therefore the popular will always dominate. What I also take into consideration is, there are just as many elders who are followers as, there are youngsters.

You have elders who don't mess with Hip Hop in any type of capacity but they were full on as teenagers. That says to me they didn't get the gist of what Hip Hop was\is about as a total art form. You have elders who haven't grown so, they tend to support an ignorant or juvenile form of Hip Hop. Point being it's not just youngn's. It's simply followers, who aren't creative and free thinkers.

I don't care to compare era's. In fact I don't make those types of distinctions. I don't see Bob Marley's Music as it being given to us in an era. It was just given to us and we do with it as we like. Same with Blues (Howling Wolf) or Jazz (Miles Davis). If it's good it's good. Marley could jam with any reggae artist out today. Wolf could howl with the best of blues artists out today. Miles could play his horn with the best of artists today. Rakim can rhyme with the best of artists out today. It's up to the listener to accept that artists interpretation. Unfortunately the followers dismiss these interpretations and replace them with the most popular.

Dharmic X
  • SlickestRSlickestR Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    if you're a Lover of MUSIC in general, it doesn't matter which genre it is, there's always going to be good music, you just gotta be open minded and keep your ear out there. It doesn't matter what year you were born or where you were born, there's always something from each generation that's going to catch your ear.

the artists, producers, the methods and the sound may change, but there's always going to be timeless music...

But really all i wanted to point out was how funny it was that our elders were telling us that our music sucks and how we are not chastising the slightly younger generation for nominating wayne as the best rapper alive... or whoever they feeling right now when we compare them to the ones we consider the greatest

listen man, every generation is going to stick to their time, that's why elders are so ignorant and narrow-minded because their going to stick to what they know what their familiar with. It happens to every generation, just take a look at the IC, most of these niggas are born in the 80's, some in the 70's, so they're only going to praise and stick with the music they grew up on, which is the 90's era of hip-hop and R&B.

The whole comparing shit is dumb, but again people do that to familiarize with somebody they know from their time. If it's somebody that they can't compare they feel lost because it's too brand new for them.
  • SupremeXXVSupremeXXV Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    I'm reppin 1985 (26 yrs young) and I fucks with some of the new shit...Only problem is I can fuck with the music if I'm out partying or something like that...If I'm at home, chilling and smoking, I wanna hear some shit with BARS and alot of these dudes don't really have that quality.
    pop duke
  • RahlowRahlow Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's tragic! And people cant help when they were born. when I think about it, most cats on this forum wasn't able to independently purchase they first hip hop cd until the 2000's and more recent than later. Shit, some on this forum never purchased a CD because Ipod always been their source of audio since they was a younger kid in mid 2000's
    Wild SelfSlickestRDharmic Xpop duke
  • loch121loch121 Posts: 9,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

listen man, every generation is going to stick to their time, that's why elders are so ignorant and narrow-minded because their going to stick to what they know what their familiar with. It happens to every generation, just take a look at the IC, most of these niggas are born in the 80's, some in the 70's, so they're only going to praise and stick with the music they grew up on, which is the 90's era of hip-hop and R&B.

The whole comparing shit is dumb, but again people do that to familiarize with somebody they know from their time. If it's somebody that they can't compare they feel lost because it's too brand new for them.

Nah it's not the older ppl being ignorant.Hip Hop was better just like I can admit that the kind of music the soul. funk, and RnB like Motown were better artists than Run DMC and Tupac.

They were singing when you really sang and had to work and deal w/ racism.Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder.Mike jack.I'm not stuck w/ just my generation

Even super early hip hop is before my time, but I respect what they were doing and respect them as pioneers.Rock fans respect legends and old classics.

Rock fans know the golden era was the 60's for rock.You can never top the mid and late 60's of rock

Today's youth aren't ignorant and narrow minded? It's just the elders who are? I find it interesting that Elder Hip Hop heads know the youngn's but the youngn's don't know the Elders. So, who's more narrow minded? By the way what makes the Hip Hop youngsters more learned and opened minded then the elders?

I agree comparing is dumb. However, setting standards is perfectly within the scope of gauging art and music. I'd like for you point out this NEWNESS in Hip Hop that's makes an elder unable to feel it?

Dharmic X