"You youngings don't know ish about music"

13»

Replies

• Kwan DaiKwan Dai Posts: 3,465
    SlickestR wrote: »
    if you're a Lover of MUSIC in general, it doesn't matter which genre it is, there's always going to be good music, you just gotta be open minded and keep your ear out there. It doesn't matter what year you were born or where you were born, there's always something from each generation that's going to catch your ear.

the artists, producers, the methods and the sound may change, but there's always going to be timeless music...

and on that note you are right...

But really all i wanted to point out was how funny it was that our elders were telling us that our music sucks and how we are not chastising the slightly younger generation for nominating wayne as the best rapper alive... or whoever they feeling right now when we compare them to the ones we consider the greatest

listen man, every generation is going to stick to their time, that's why elders are so ignorant and narrow-minded because their going to stick to what they know what their familiar with. It happens to every generation, just take a look at the IC, most of these niggas are born in the 80's, some in the 70's, so they're only going to praise and stick with the music they grew up on, which is the 90's era of hip-hop and R&B.

The whole comparing shit is dumb, but again people do that to familiarize with somebody they know from their time. If it's somebody that they can't compare they feel lost because it's too brand new for them.

Today's youth aren't ignorant and narrow minded? It's just the elders who are? I find it interesting that Elder Hip Hop heads know the youngn's but the youngn's don't know the Elders. So, who's more narrow minded? By the way what makes the Hip Hop youngsters more learned and opened minded then the elders?

I agree comparing is dumb. However, setting standards is perfectly within the scope of gauging art and music. I'd like for you point out this NEWNESS in Hip Hop that's makes an elder unable to feel it?

• angrymanincangrymaninc Posts: 620
    if you're a Lover of MUSIC in general, it doesn't matter which genre it is, there's always going to be good music, you just gotta be open minded and keep your ear out there. It doesn't matter what year you were born or where you were born, there's always something from each generation that's going to catch your ear.

the artists, producers, the methods and the sound may change, but there's always going to be timeless music...

But really all i wanted to point out was how funny it was that our elders were telling us that our music sucks and how we are not chastising the slightly younger generation for nominating wayne as the best rapper alive... or whoever they feeling right now when we compare them to the ones we consider the greatest

listen man, every generation is going to stick to their time, that's why elders are so ignorant and narrow-minded because their going to stick to what they know what their familiar with. It happens to every generation, just take a look at the IC, most of these niggas are born in the 80's, some in the 70's, so they're only going to praise and stick with the music they grew up on, which is the 90's era of hip-hop and R&B.

The whole comparing shit is dumb, but again people do that to familiarize with somebody they know from their time. If it's somebody that they can't compare they feel lost because it's too brand new for them.

i kinda take offense to that right there cause i being a fan of the culture i will always peep the new shit coming out... all i'm saying is that the quality we had back when i was a youngster doesn't really compare to the one that's coming out now
  • SlickestRSlickestR Posts: 2,787

i kinda take offense to that right there cause i being a fan of the culture i will always peep the new shit coming out... all i'm saying is that the quality we had back when i was a youngster doesn't really compare to the one that's coming out now

i should of stated...'for a few exceptions' because i know some of you cats will be open-minded to some of the new shit coming out.

and i can agree the quality of music was better, and i think that has to do with a number of reasons. For one, how hard it was to get put on in the music industry, niggas didn't have avenues such as "youtube" "soundcloud" "twitter" "tumblr" and such.

you know back then, if you were heard on the radio or made it on tv, that was your ticket to gaining exposure and eventually getting signed.

and since it was soo hard to get signed, you actually had to have talent, so niggas were coming extra hard on their verses, guest features, freestyles and such. If you were wack, then you wouldn't survive.

R&B talents can actually sing and had that soulful element to them.
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

Today's youth aren't ignorant and narrow minded? It's just the elders who are? I find it interesting that Elder Hip Hop heads know the youngn's but the youngn's don't know the Elders. So, who's more narrow minded? By the way what makes the Hip Hop youngsters more learned and opened minded then the elders?

I agree comparing is dumb. However, setting standards is perfectly within the scope of gauging art and music. I'd like for you point out this NEWNESS in Hip Hop that's makes an elder unable to feel it?

in terms of music, Hip-hop heads are always referring back to the 90's, the 90's this, the 90's that.
    youth are ignorant to the preference of music they want to listen to and hear. A lot of the elders.. NOT ALL

just want to stick to the golden era and want nothing to do with anything 2005 and beyond, and i can understand that.
    but you're just not going to sit here and tell me that every generation is just going to openly accept everything that happens after their time.

Of course the Elders know more about the hip-hop acts that are out now then Youngings do.... but a lot of the youngings that's been bumping hip-hop since they were 7 and 8 know more hip-hop then those who got into hip-hop when they were in their late teens.

this shit varies man. I'm not using elders as a way to blame them for what they know, i'm just trying to say that every generation sticks to what they're familiar with.
    loch121 wrote: »

Nah it's not the older ppl being ignorant.Hip Hop was better just like I can admit that the kind of music the soul. funk, and RnB like Motown were better artists than Run DMC and Tupac.

They were singing when you really sang and had to work and deal w/ racism.Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder.Mike jack.I'm not stuck w/ just my generation

Even super early hip hop is before my time, but I respect what they were doing and respect them as pioneers.Rock fans respect legends and old classics.

Rock fans know the golden era was the 60's for rock.You can never top the mid and late 60's of rock

I can admit to that hip-hop was better back then, and music before the 90's were better then...

like i said, because those motherfuckers actually had talent, and actually work their asses off to make
    their music very legendary.

if you don't respect the pioneers then you're a ungrateful asshole, even if the pioneers weren't the best singers, songwriters or rappers

at least they shared an idea with the world, and let the people after them take control of it and mold it, and I can blame the youngings who DON'T respect what the heads before them did for what they have today.

• moedaysmoedays Posts: 1,503
    What up IC, I'm new to this shit so bear with me. I grew up listening to 50/60/70s soul, jazz, opera, rock and Bob Marley My dad used to take my me and my lil sis to park jams in the summer when that shit was just getting big. That shit was amazing, niggaz breaking and shit. I'll never forget seeing that dj equipment plugged in to the street light. I'm 37 y/o, so I've seen a rapper or a 1000 in my day. I've bought countless mixtapes from downtown. Me and my homies still get our freestyle on. I still buy music. I used to feel the same way as the T/S. I think lyricism and creativity are coming back a little bit. I listen to satellite radio. Once I got that, I had no more complaints.
    moedays wrote: »
    What up IC, I'm new to this shit so bear with me. I grew up listening to 50/60/70s soul, jazz, opera, rock and Bob Marley My dad used to take my me and my lil sis to park jams in the summer when that shit was just getting big. That shit was amazing, niggaz breaking and shit. I'll never forget seeing that dj equipment plugged in to the street light. I'm 37 y/o, so I've seen a rapper or a 1000 in my day. I've bought countless mixtapes from downtown. Me and my homies still get our freestyle on. I still buy music. I used to feel the same way as the T/S. I think lyricism and creativity are coming back a little bit. I listen to satellite radio. Once I got that, I had no more complaints.

i think that lyricism and creativity are coming back too, slowly but surely... Just like everything in life, history repeats itself, so i won't give up on hip-hop because of the majority of bullshit that's out there, there are still some gems out there. For you go notice that and go through a time span of music, that shows that some elders still enjoy music regardless of what era it comes out from.
  • Dharmic XDharmic X Posts: 104
    Honestly, I could make a list of artists making dope hip-hop presently that I fuck with, but it'd be an incredibly long list. There's a LOT of great hip-hop coming out right now. You just really gotta do a LITTLE bit of digging.
  • loch121loch121 Posts: 7,748
    Dharmic X wrote: »
    Honestly, I could make a list of artists making dope hip-hop presently that I fuck with, but it'd be an incredibly long list. There's a LOT of great hip-hop coming out right now. You just really gotta do a LITTLE bit of digging.

the dope shit wasn't that hard to find then.You would hear something with meaning on the radio, in rotation all the time.there was dumb shit then too, but it was a balance and ppl had love for that real shit

• 704Hustla704Hustla Posts: 839
    my 2 cents...im another 80's baby..26 to be exact and this is funny to me cause this is such a grey area..yes you could say music evolves and changes but as you get older you definitely going to have an era or style you favor..it is what it is..with that being said..there's definitely good rap coming out you just have to dig for it and have an open mind..its not all about nyc & la no more so it would wise to expand a lil bit

one thing that really hurts rap is all the bullshit dividing that goes on like pac said "which is just to create confusion" like it shouldn't really matter cause in any other genre you only focus on the music and if its good but with rap it's a million bullshit dividers which only designed to cause conflict..it shouldn't matter which region is hot or which style someone favors..but there's a lot of haters in rap with agenda they have push on others which is lame...to keep it real it stems from these so called "underground/backpackers" who can't get past 1989 and have such a narrow minded view on what rap music should be and hate on everything new because it doesn't sound like 1989..bullshit..cause these so called "real hip hop" fans have no problem listening to modern/current music of other genre's but single out rap..rap never really fell off (that's r&b right there) it's too many part time/ johnny come lately clowns pretending to be experts around here whining..like be serious you just started listening to illmatic/reasonable doubt 2 weeks ago

the dope shit wasn't that hard to find then.You would hear something with meaning on the radio, in rotation all the time.there was dumb shit then too, but it was a balance and ppl had love for that real shit

I feel you, and it's a shame, but the only way that balance can be restored (if it even can) is to recognize the current state of the game and move towards those artists who aren't getting the attention they deserve on TV or radio and are continuing to put out quality project after quality project.
  • pop dukepop duke Posts: 375

Co-sign!! Its a statement N itself when U turn on da radio N hear da same songs every hour on da hour. As someone said earlier there is good hip hop nowadays but unfortunately U wouldn't know it unless U dig for it. I personally feel corporate took hip hop over with da huge budgets & payola among other things. When I say there was a couple of era's that I absolutely appreciated I'm referring to a specific time frame where GREAT music was N abundance. Anyone of U feel free to spk on da last time U enjoyed great music N abundance.......... I'll wait.......

Its nothin personal with me as far as da newer stuff is concerned but I have to call it as I C it!!
    Yeah, agreed. This has been a great convo so far, but I definitely think that those who are interested in finding the new hip-hop that fits that 90s aesthetic or originality, creativity, and dopeness should stick together and build with each other. Only way the music that we like will spread.

Also, as long as the generational gap is bridged with convos from both the young cats and the old heads, that's the best way for younger generations to learn about the OGs and the culture.
13»