Drake's Longevity in the Game

TayJoneTayJone Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in The Reason
How long do you guys think Drake can last in the rap game?
He says he probably wont be rapping past 35.
Do you think he will have to stick to singing to stay relevant? I dont know what he can possibly rap about even coming into his third album...

I think he has a good few years left but i dont know about past his 30s...

Replies

• Depends homie, I mean, all sorts of twists and turns in life happen...So he could just be finding influence and topics from elsewhere in his life ...aswell as the other ish he comes out with, don't get me wrong, I like Drake,,, I think he can do it, all these other longevity rappers have done it, so then why can't he?
  • High RevolutionaryHigh Revolutionary Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Not very much longer. His background pigeonholes him into a limited amount of lanes and in order to have longevity you need the ability to recreate yourself. Where else can he go from where he currently is?

Personally I think he missed a big opportunity to earn some respect from a different hip-hop demographic when he side-stepped the Common beef.
    Wild Self
  • TayJoneTayJone Posts: 301 ✭✭✭
    Depends homie, I mean, all sorts of twists and turns in life happen...So he could just be finding influence and topics from elsewhere in his life ...aswell as the other ish he comes out with, don't get me wrong, I like Drake,,, I think he can do it, all these other longevity rappers have done it, so then why can't he?

I like Drake as well. I hope he finds inspiration from other places and can expand his lanes. which i think will translate into his R&B tunes more so
    I also hope he gets off of YMCMB too but whatever.

Not very much longer. His background pigeonholes him into a limited amount of lanes and in order to have longevity you need the ability to recreate yourself. Where else can he go from where he currently is?

Personally I think he missed a big opportunity to earn some respect from a different hip-hop demographic when he side-stepped the Common beef.

Yea i agree. He needs to stop avoiding beef...todays rap game calls for that almost but he is top 5 in the game and has to make things shake if he wants to stay there
  • Disciplined InSightDisciplined InSight The Clairvoyant One.... Posts: 12,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2-3 more years and he's done.
  • SupremeXXVSupremeXXV Posts: 795 ✭✭✭✭
    In a different era, I would say about a year or two...But people except anything nowadays and Drake is lyrically nice enough to hang around for a while...He's the hero of this generation of rap fans...If not Drake, then Wiz *shrugs*...Who knows.
    Craig Robinson
  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 26,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He probably get on some Will Smith shit
  • Wild SelfWild Self Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drake is where Ja Rule was in 2002: On the verge of a massive public backlash.
  • nujerz84nujerz84 Posts: 12,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cringe everytime I hear this homo sing rap about being a real nigga...or real nigga this real nigga that....like real niggas in the hood really bump Drake other than when trying to impress or holla at hoes (that in itself is retarded).
    Mr.Genocide
  • Plap SunPlap Sun Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he gon transition into movies

cause he started off as a gay boy in a wheelchair
    juan travolta
  • StoneColdMikeyStoneColdMikey I am what the people need. MIKEYFORMOD CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNPosts: 23,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ptowndonte wrote: »
    He probably get on some Will Smith shit

He said this is what he wanna do.
  • StoneColdMikeyStoneColdMikey I am what the people need. MIKEYFORMOD CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNPosts: 23,220 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wild Self wrote: »
    Drake is where Ja Rule was in 2002: On the verge of a massive public backlash.

nah that's Ms. Minaj
    Craig Robinson
    Plap Sun wrote: »
    he gon transition into movies

cause he started off as a gay boy in a wheelchair

naw he was just a rich black kid who balled and dated ugly girls
    then he got shot and became Wheelchair Jimmy
    now he is making more money than ive ever seen so i cant be too mad lol

• Mr.LVMr.LV Posts: 9,245 ✭✭✭✭✭
    His longevity will end when he wants it to end and he will go into movies like he said he wants to do.
    Mr.LV wrote: »
    His longevity will end when he wants it to end and he will go into movies like he said he wants to do.

his acting is subpar though :/
  • Supreme_GentlemanSupreme_Gentleman #RapeCulture Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    he got 3 years left. Soft niggas are the season
  • SeansosaSeansosa Posts: 1,430
    as long as he keep wifing these hoes and catchin feelings he will be able to last
  • the_focused_onethe_focused_one Posts: 425 ✭✭✭✭
    If Drake makes one more album with %50 of the content being about "Haters," his career is over. Teenagers and Woman will only rock with that shit for so long.

He also needs to pick a lane. You can only half and half this bullshit for so long.

Also, Drake can't keep calling himself a "real nigga." This dude was raised by his Jewish mom, attended a Jewish day school, and had a Bar Mitzfah. And of course he was a child actor on Degrassi. He has lived the life of an affluent Jewish man in the suburbs of Toronto. Musically, let's also not forget he sounded like a straight JOE BUDDEN clone when he started out. If he talked about "real shit" instead of "haters" all the damn time, I would respect him way more.

As it stands, he is an average lyricist with some vocals and females find him attractive. That will last him three more years, enough time to improve his acting to the point where he can join LL Cool J in making some dope movies and TV shows, completely leaving music behind in the process.
    nujerz84TayJone
  • Bawse D.LoxBawse D.Lox Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st and for most, Drake subject matter is mostly about women, relationship, and emotions= "simping"; real life shit the majority of any race and age can relate too.

2nd, dude is talented as a song writer and as a lyricist.
    so dude can rap until he's 60.

alot of niggers are just jealous of Drizzy, so they attack dude for "hiphop". while it's because their panties are in a bunch.

soulfulcatnujerz84