Did Nicki Minaj sell-out by making POP songs?

Replies

• SlickestRSlickestR Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SlickestR wrote: »
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    So what's the difference between Kayne West Coming out with 808's and Heartbreak

and Nicki Minaj doing all the pop songs she wanted for her album?

808's and Heartbreaks isn't pop tho..it may not be "hip-hop" but it definitely isn't pop..but "Starships" along with 65% of her 2nd album is on some pop/techno shit..

...yeah 808's and Heartbreaks wasn't hip-hop and neither is what Nicki is doing... So what i'm tryna get at is...

why didn't people bash Kanye when he dropped 808's and why are they bashing Nicki when she dropped Starships..

Kanye didn't necessarily "sell out" when he did that...

But people did bash that 808's and Heartbreak album and I was one of them. Nicki was just confused about the terms of POP and Hip Hop. If she wanted to be a POP artist then she should stop calling her music Hip Hop.

she said she eventually wants to do pop...

So you're saying that 808's and Heartbreak had the same heavy criticism that Pink Friday Reloaded/Starships have?

there's people that actually like Kanye's "pop" album..
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 34,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    808 was not pop music, far from it. Just because he was singing doesn't make it pop, 808 was easily Kanye's most soulful album lyrically in what he was talking about. The content on that album was very heavy (mothers death, relationship heartbreak), it's not a pop album (catchy beats, simple melodies, catchy hooks, etc).
    IceBergTaylorgenocidecutterBender RodriguezCashmoneyDux
  • KillaChamKillaCham M0D SQUAD™ Posts: 7,849 Regulator
    You must mean Max Martin.

Dr. Luke never worked with Gaga. He doesn't even like her lol.
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    There is a difference in naturally evolving and becoming popular (see Outkast), and there is blatantly selling out (see Nicki). You can obviously tell the chick sold the fuck out.

1. She bit Lady Gaga's crazy outfits
    2. She went and use all of Lady Gaga's producers after Lady Gaga dropped them
    3. She went and use Lady Gaga's choreographer/show designer after Lady Gaga dropped her
    4. She switched up her music and started making electro pop music like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna (same producers)

You can tell when a artist naturally evolve, plus the bitch can't sing and her music is horrible period. I could see if she could sing and perform, it comes off as forced and corny to me.
    Nigga its europop, not electro pop lol o_O And Nicki been using LaurieAnn Gibson since 2010 through Diddy. Gaga fired her like 6 months ago. THEE fuck you talkin about?

Europop is electronic music fool, it's techno/house/etc. LaurieAnn Gibson got hired by Nicki right after she was fired by Lady Gaga, and Nicki damn sure wasn't on that weird ass Lady Gaga stage shit (The Grammy wackness) until she started working with LaurieAnn Gibson.

Any one with a brain clearly see Nicki is trying to market herself as a black Lady Gaga. She is no different that Lil Wayne, see some shit working and jump on the trend.
    The music Lady Gaga, Rihanna and them make is not techno or house music. Nigga what? ed2305b7.png
    IceBergTaylor
  • Disciplined InSightDisciplined InSight The Clairvoyant One.... Posts: 12,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    andre_1024 wrote: »
    So what's the difference between Kayne West Coming out with 808's and Heartbreak

and Nicki Minaj doing all the pop songs she wanted for her album?

808's and Heartbreaks isn't pop tho..it may not be "hip-hop" but it definitely isn't pop..but "Starships" along with 65% of her 2nd album is on some pop/techno shit..

...yeah 808's and Heartbreaks wasn't hip-hop and neither is what Nicki is doing... So what i'm tryna get at is...

why didn't people bash Kanye when he dropped 808's and why are they bashing Nicki when she dropped Starships..

Kanye didn't necessarily "sell out" when he did that...

But people did bash that 808's and Heartbreak album and I was one of them. Nicki was just confused about the terms of POP and Hip Hop. If she wanted to be a POP artist then she should stop calling her music Hip Hop.

she said she eventually wants to do pop...

So you're saying that 808's and Heartbreak had the same heavy criticism that Pink Friday Reloaded/Starships have?

there's people that actually like Kanye's "pop" album..

Yes..because it was away from his usual, traditional soul sampled fueled production. Hip Hop heads that followed Kanye's production from from The College Dropout, Late Registration and Graduation didn't receive that 808's very well.

That first single "Love Lockdown" received heavy criticism due to his off key autotune singing.

But we all know he did that album in another zone because of the death of his moms and breakup of his long time girlfriend.
    genocidecutter
  • AggyAFAggyAF Migos>The Beatles Somewherein, NJPosts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • oatmealdudeoatmealdude Posts: 629 ✭✭✭
    honestly, like somebody said before Nicki Minaj was never a hip-hop artist in the first place...

she used hip-hop to the point where she didn't really need to do it anymore, and walked right into pop

where she can be at the level where she wanted to be and it worked wonders for her...

Plus... YMCMB don't really care for hip-hop by itself, them niggas sign anyone who can make hit-selling records/good music (although some of us can disagree on their behalf)

in the past few years, they went from Kevin Rudolph, to Jay Sean to Lil Wayne doing Rock and now Nicki doing pop

i remember in one interview, Birdman wouldn't mind signing a country singer and slapping Lil Wayne on their as a feature...

yea and to the point where she cant go gold lol so where that pop shit got you nothing maybe if she did on the 3rd album then cool but she lost! lol

There is a difference in naturally evolving and becoming popular (see Outkast), and there is blatantly selling out (see Nicki). You can obviously tell the chick sold the fuck out.

3. She went and use Lady Gaga's choreographer/show designer after Lady Gaga dropped her
    4. She switched up her music and started making electro pop music like Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Rihanna (same producers)

You can tell when a artist naturally evolve, plus the bitch can't sing and her music is horrible period. I could see if she could sing and perform, it comes off as forced and corny to me.
    Nigga its europop, not electro pop lol o_O And Nicki been using LaurieAnn Gibson since 2010 through Diddy. Gaga fired her like 6 months ago. THEE fuck you talkin about?

Europop is electronic music fool, it's techno/house/etc. LaurieAnn Gibson got hired by Nicki right after she was fired by Lady Gaga, and Nicki damn sure wasn't on that weird ass Lady Gaga stage shit (The Grammy wackness) until she started working with LaurieAnn Gibson.

Any one with a brain clearly see Nicki is trying to market herself as a black Lady Gaga. She is no different that Lil Wayne, see some shit working and jump on the trend.
    The music Lady Gaga, Rihanna and them make is not techno or house music. Nigga what? ed2305b7.png

Nope, RED ONE who Nicki ran to after Gaga stop fucking with him.

LOL you clearly must not know music if you don't think the beats they are singing on isn't electronic music.
  • andre_1024andre_1024 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    chick doesn't even make good POP music, that's what makes her album even worse..it's 65% horrible pop music..at least Katy Perry, Rihanna and Lady Gaga make somewhat decent pop music..
    soul rattler
  • SlickestRSlickestR Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    she didn't go gold because people hated Stupid Hoe... The Grammy Performance was terrible and the album was more pop than it was hip-hop... even with a big record like Starships... She thought that she would instantly go
    platinum and
    The funny shit about Nicki is, if she studied the game she would of seen the biggest selling rappers didn't have to crossover, mainstream America came to them (Pac, Jay,Em,etc). If you look at All Eyez on me, Hard Knock Life,etc, those are hiphop albums.

The worst shit ever is succeeding not being yourself. How long does Nicki think she can keep up her image.
  • KillaChamKillaCham M0D SQUAD™ Posts: 7,849 Regulator
    edited June 2012

LOL you clearly must not know music if you don't think the beats they are singing on isn't electronic music.
    Y'all niggas are stupid. Lemme break it down foryou. Just cause different songs have heavy Pop beats doesn't mean they're in the same sub-genre. Rihanna, Nicki's latest Pop shit, and someone like Britney Spears' music is not electro-pop. They have elements of electro, but a 15-20 electro breakdown or a bridge with a dubstep breakdown doesn't make the entire song just that. It's the style that's popular in the US Pop scene right now. You hear that exact formula in all 3 of their latest singles. Techno is mostly pure electronic music - its not the same. Katy Perry's E.T. is closer to electro-pop and that shit was initially meant for Three 6 Mafia so what is you really saying?

I don't remember too much of Gaga's last album, I listened to that trash like 1 1/2 times... but lemme correct myself, out of her singles she does has a few electro-pop songs. Britney, Rihanna, Pop Nicki = Euro-Pop/Dance. Lady Gaga = American Dance-Pop/Electro-Pop. Katy Perry = American Pop-Rock/Dance.

And like I said, Nicki been using Laurieann for years. The 2010 VMAs and some of Nicki's music videos are Laurieann.The pr00f is out there. Gaga is already biting enough artists, nobody is checkin to be her THAT hard.
    H-Rap 180
  • genocidecuttergenocidecutter Posts: 9,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012

Y'all niggas are stupid. Lemme break it down foryou. Just cause different songs have heavy Pop beats doesn't mean they're in the same sub-genre. Rihanna, Nicki's latest Pop shit, and someone like Britney Spears' music is not electro-pop. They have elements of electro, but a 15-20 electro breakdown or a bridge with a dubstep breakdown doesn't make the entire song just that. It's the style that's popular in the US Pop scene right now. You hear that exact formula in all 3 of their latest singles. Techno is mostly pure electronic music - its not the same. Katy Perry's E.T. is closer to electro-pop and that shit was initially meant for Three 6 Mafia so what is you really saying?

I don't remember too much of Gaga's last album, I listened to that trash like 1 1/2 times... but lemme correct myself, out of her singles does has a few electro-pop songs. Britney, Rihanna, Pop Nicki = Euro-Pop/Dance. Lady Gaga = American Dance-Pop/Electro-Pop. Katy Perry = American Pop-Rock/Dance.

And like I said, Nicki been using Laurieann for years. The 2010 VMAs and some of Nicki's music videos are Laurieann.The pr00f is out there. Gaga is already biting enough artists, nobody is checkin to be her THAT hard.

But in the end she still sucks at making music
    YamoleySenseiMikeydaGawdKillaChamCashmoneyDux
  • georgia boigeorgia boi Posts: 3,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Making Pop songs doesn't make a rapper a sell-out. It's the intent and motivation behind the music that makes an artist a sell-out. If they sacrifice artistic integrity in the name of moving units, then that's a sell-out move. In Nicki's case, she's not really a sell-out. Since she debuted, she's done Pop records. This album is just more Pop than what she's done previously. The singles she dropped from the last album were Pop like "Right Thru Me", "Check it Out", "Your Love", and "Super Bass" were Crossover Pop songs.
  • GoFoJoeGoFoJoe Posts: 147
    Well I don't know 1 Hip Hop fan that bumped her Hip Hop material so she might as well make pop music. She's terrible though and I hope her career crashes & burns.
  • real_hh_repreal_hh_rep Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭
    She's a goddamn sell out, period. Tell me which particular tracks of her can be honestly called hip-hop? Definitely none of her singles, not even Roman's Revenge bullshit. She makes mockery of rap and black women. She looks like doll, makes stupid face expressions, at worst she makes bubble-gum, electro-pop music and unlike Rihanna she doesn't even succeed at that shit.
    KillaChamgenocidecutter
  • sonsofscotlandsonsofscotland Posts: 231 ✭✭✭
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Q45T wrote: »
    She sold out when she signed to Young Money...

So did Emenim sell-out when he signed to Aftermath/Interscope? He dyed his hair blonde, put on a dress and started making Pop records

I think you wer being sarcastic here, but really the simple answer is 'yes'.
  • H-Rap 180H-Rap 180 Posts: 15,452
    She's a goddamn sell out, period. Tell me which particular tracks of her can be honestly called hip-hop? Definitely none of her singles, not even Roman's Revenge bullshit. She makes mockery of rap and black women. She looks like doll, makes stupid face expressions, at worst she makes bubble-gum, electro-pop music and unlike Rihanna she doesn't even succeed at that shit.

"Beez in the trap" is #9 on urban radio. That song is HipHop, a lot more HipHop than that Roman Revenge song.

Does she make a mockery of rap more than the men who dress up like women and rap about having sex with animals?

Yeah she looks like a doll but you got 40 year ole rappers with no facial hair who look like pedophiles.

If her music is bubble-gum, electro-pop music how was she able to get 2-Chainz, Ross, Jeezy, Nas, Camron & BeenieMan on her last album? <--- those 6 artists could never be on one of Emenims POP albums because it would be so forced and awkward that nobody would want to listen.

People are criticizing this woman for doing something that your favorite rapper has been doing for years.
  • Bawse D.LoxBawse D.Lox Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what ppl got to understand is that 9/10 when u do something new and different the masses are gonna react negative to it.

• hnic1978hnic1978 Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man it took Nicki Minaj for yall to finally realize how good of an album 808's is....But on the subject i think its funny how u MEN are debating over this. I heard the first album, recognized that it WAS a balance between hip hop & pop and gave it to my wife and daughter cuz that album was strictly for them. I say why not do pop. Shes a woman and women around the globe gravitate to that Super Bass and Starships shit. Hell i just mute the damn TV and enjoy. Shit let her get money and u niggas stop judging music that is not for you.
    Bawse D.Loxaneed123purpngold
  • MikeydaGawdMikeydaGawd I am what the people need. Posts: 20,406 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hnic1978 wrote: »
    Man it took Nicki Minaj for yall to finally realize how good of an album 808's is....But on the subject i think its funny how u MEN are debating over this. I heard the first album, recognized that it WAS a balance between hip hop & pop and gave it to my wife and daughter cuz that album was strictly for them. I say why not do pop. Shes a woman and women around the globe gravitate to that Super Bass and Starships shit. Hell i just mute the damn TV and enjoy. Shit let her get money and u niggas stop judging music that is not for you.

100% Cosign the bolded
  • aneed123aneed123 Posts: 13,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no she didnt sell out. the same folk complaining she went pop wasnt buying her shit or supporting her when she was rappin all nyish... She did what was best for her career and put her at her spot. She would be in queens rappin on the block bitter as hell is she aint switch to the character she is now.... her female pop fanbase is who buys her records. make singles for them. Hell everyone else hoping u fall off anyway. fuckem and keep doing what u doin
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti32DaysOfInfiniti Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2012
    Because people dont like seeing their favorite artist lose their souls... Its not like that music she is making is unique, or defining or anything. It is obviously just a v line to the mainstream, and your bound to alienate alot of fans when you make career decisions like that.

Its more of a disapointment than a hate
    andre_1024
  • damobb2deepdamobb2deep Posts: 14,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think now she is being pressured into those pop songs... cuz I watched the "beez n da trap" and da video wit Chris brown and she seems way more comfortable in dat video then in da "stupid hoe" video or da "starships" video...

in da beginning of da year I saw she was getting alot of flack 4 doing what she was doing... she has toned it way down...
  • blackrainblackrain Posts: 18,241 Regulator

You know how many artist use the same choreographers and producers? That shit happens all the time...
  • blackrainblackrain Posts: 18,241 Regulator
    hnic1978 wrote: »

I said this exact shit in another thread a day or 2 ago...these songs are tailor made for girls and women...I don't know one chick, even females who HATE Nicki Minaj, that didn't like Super Bass and don't know that Starships song...niggas act like EVERY rapper has to make music specifically for them...I mean for fucks sake Super Bass done turned 2 little girls into stars because of a youtube video of them singing the song...Taylor Swift performing Super Bass at her own shows...the shit works