Who Do You Think Made The Bigger Impact Of Their Own Genre: Kurt Cobain or Tupac Shakur

Replies

• SlickestRSlickestR Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    equal.

Cobain changed an entire Genre of Music. affected fashion.... and affected peoples thought process...
    he made it cool to smell like a wet cigarette butt...

how you kill yourself cleaning a gun tho?

Pac did the same, but made it cool to be a thug with a heart so to speak....

it's called suicide.
  • runningwolf1980runningwolf1980 Posts: 5,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    tupac for all reason..first we "miss" pac...second "grung music" is long gone.....i could go on and on but point made
  • SionSion Moderator, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 21,585 Regulator
    2Pac for sure
  • bears2248bears2248 Posts: 163 ✭✭
  • GeE-757GeE-757 Posts: 6,441
    @wolf...TABERNACLE!
    runningwolf1980
  • A1000MILESA1000MILES Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Damn, nice thread...I'd say during the span of their living careers, Kurt wins, because of how much his writing just instantly captured an age group who needed that void to be filled...It took Pac a minute to really become that huge superstar, and find exactly what his voice was gonna be...Posthumously, Pac's legacy is much stronger in modern rap than Kurt's is in modern rock, and I think it's because of the fact that he had strong social messages tied in with a hard image and delivery combined with the story around his last days...He helped create a new mold for what a rap superstar is.
    arbitration
  • ocelotocelot Posts: 9,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good original thread in the IC?
  • Pac's image> Kurt's

Cobain wasn't the first rock artist to die young or tragically.
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson I drive a fast car... Posts: 45,392 Regulator
    pac's style birthed waka flaka flame tho....
    runningwolf1980Bawse D.Loxkacee139Black_Samson
  • ^ Master P turned it into $600 million
    Black_SamsonBawse D.Loxkacee139
  • usmarin3usmarin3 Posts: 35,411 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kurt Cobain released the best album to come out in the 90s and was alive during his peak. Most of Pacs success came post death. Nirvana was the face of the grunge movement.
    Tommy bilfigerblackbloc_Menace_
    Fyi Nirvana didnt not create grunge, Alice in Chains came out first and had success.
    blackbloc
    i retract that statement... why the fuck did i think of Alice Cooper?
  • Swiffness!Swiffness! Posts: 7,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    this is a real sketchy question cuz it all comes down to how you define Kurt's "genre":

if you make it simply "Rock Music" then Pac wins in a landslide cuz Kurt ain't fuckin wit Lennon or Hendrix and Kurt would be the first to co-sign dat

if you narrow it to "GRUNGE Rock" tho.....Kurt's death fucking killed Grunge single-handedly........like when Big died, major label execs were scared it was gonna kill Rap Music like Kurt's death killed Grunge

make it "Alternative Rock" and then its a toss-up lol
    Alice in Chains is grunge, came from the same Seattle scene as Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Theyre not hard rock, hard rock Chilli Peppers, 311, Sublime, etc.
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Alice in Chains is grunge, came from the same Seattle scene as Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Theyre not hard rock, hard rock Chilli Peppers, 311, Sublime, etc.
    read my retraction...
  • dalyricalbanditdalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 51,114 Regulator
    Kurt noone in his genre of music even comes close , while Pac as big as he was had peers who are comparable
  • The_ManThe_Man Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    im gonna go with kurt on this one.
    Kurt Cobain released the best album to come out in the 90s and was alive during his peak. Most of Pacs success came post death. Nirvana was the face of the grunge movement.

so what your saying is even in death pac was better than kurt

Alice in Chains is an American rock band formed in Seattle, Washington, in 1987 by guitarist and songwriter Jerry Cantrell and original lead vocalist Layne Staley. The initial lineup was rounded out by drummer Sean Kinney, and bassist Mike Starr (who was replaced in 1993 by Mike Inez).

Although widely associated with grunge music, the band's sound incorporates heavy metal and acoustic elements. Since its formation, Alice in Chains has released four studio albums, three EPs, two live albums, four compilations, and two DVDs. The band is known for its distinct vocal style which often included the harmonized vocals of Staley and Cantrell.
    last time i checked associated didnt mean "is"
  • Bawse D.LoxBawse D.Lox Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    easily Pac. Hiphop was barley 15 years in the mid 90's, while Rock had at least 35 years worth of history in the mid 90's.

Nirvana didn't create grunge, it was the sound that was hot in Seattle at the time. they and Pearl Jam brought it to the main stream. nirvana cobain gets the credit cuz he died young.

Cobain impacted his genre while alive,pac ruined hip hop when he was alive and only became this world famous person after death

The answer is Kobain

Are u Delores Tucker flaming son or some thing?

Bob Dole queer nephew ?

u mad your uncle is too old to understand the way the game's told???
    Kurt noone in his genre of music even comes close , while Pac as big as he was had peers who are comparable
    if u talking Grunge than pearl Jam>>>>>>> nirvana

blackbloc_Menace_32DaysOfInfinitiTommy bilfigerrunningwolf1980
  • blackblocblackbloc Posts: 3,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    anyone who says kurt knows zero about rock , metal , etc.. on the genre isnt really that much considering he didnt invent his the sound his band was famous . 2pac takes this for sure rap act has been following the formula of all eyes on me for years and copy his lyrics all the time. kurt is barely mentioned is Seattle
    harlem hustla
  • _Menace__Menace_ 4 MOD West.Side.CaliforniaPosts: 24,926 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pac's image> Kurt's

Cobain wasn't the first rock artist to die young or tragically.

So Jimmi Hendrix didnt die at 27?
    CoolJoe
  • jonojono Right fist = power, left fist = unity Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nirvana for real.
    Cobain & Nirvana sort of changed popular rock music. The difference before and after them, even with limited material is maddening.

Pac didn't say anything that Chuck D or Ice-T or Ice Cube hadn't already said. He was re-treading social consciousness, not exploring anything new, he also sold out and started making primarily "gangsta" rap virtually abandoning his social commentary roots.
    Tommy bilfigerMs. Sweeetface