Looking back at RZA's comments on the South

KingJamalKingJamal Posts: 20,667
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhkT4L06O3TpxK6i07
I was speaking on the education level in the South, how brothers drop out ... in the sixth grade -- some of them because they have to go to work, some of them because of the poverty, some because they're not interested in the education system... I was speaking on the education level in the South, how brothers drop out ... in the sixth grade -- some of them because they have to go to work, some of them because of the poverty, some because they're not interested in the education system...If anybody got a question of what I say, they can ask me. I fear no man. I fear no MC's talent," he said. "But I definitely know when you young, you feel a certain way. At one point, we as Wu-Tang was like, 'The whole industry is wack besides Wu-Tang.' That was our energy, our spirit

It's just the way RZA talks undermines his entire argument lmao

Replies

• His opinion on the south aside

RZA's lyrics speak volumes about his vocabulary and intelligence
  • I can't play the WSHH vid

"The information you requested could not be retrieved"
  • jayvon32jayvon32 Posts: 580
    INB4 thread is derailed into NY lost vs South Won argument
  • KingJamalKingJamal Posts: 20,667
    This ain't a NY vs south thread

it's just about RZA's comments
    KingJamal wrote: »
    This ain't a NY vs south thread

it's just about RZA's comments

You been on the IC long enough to know though, this will turn into something completely different from what it was supposed to be...
    Yea I know lol
    i think his words ring true to a large amount of teenagers all over the country, not just the south
    but maybe shit is worse there. i dont know the statistics

Bingo
  • TrashboatTrashboat Posts: 11,473
    If education level was key then rappers like Asheru would be more popular

Rza just lookin for reasons to throw salt
  • Lab BabyLab Baby Posts: 6,193
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    On some real shit, RZA spoke the truth. Hip hop is a reflection of the environment, as he explained. East coast, particularly NYC is so lyrically inclined cuz of the big city living and the artistic renaissances taking place there. The west is more culturally and economically diverse, so musically it's more eclectic. The south is smaller community wise, and more solid on old time tradition, so the music is bound to be a little simpler, but more solid musically. The negative effects of our communities have adverse effects on our lyrics as well. The crack era got NY stuck on grimey, the gang culture in Cali got them on that level, and so forth. Same with the south, economically it's a shithole, and a lot of people there are stuck in the 50s anyway. So of course that's gonna reflect on the lyrics and the music.

vfw9qs.jpg

Know what ur talking about B4 u post. Cuz there is alotta fallacies and stupid shit in that post u just made

School me...
  • (Nope)(Nope) Posts: 730
    On some real shit, RZA spoke the truth. Hip hop is a reflection of the environment, as he explained. East coast, particularly NYC is so lyrically inclined cuz of the big city living and the artistic renaissances taking place there. The west is more culturally and economically diverse, so musically it's more eclectic. The south is smaller community wise, and more solid on old time tradition, so the music is bound to be a little simpler, but more solid musically. The negative effects of our communities have adverse effects on our lyrics as well. The crack era got NY stuck on grimey, the gang culture in Cali got them on that level, and so forth. Same with the south, economically it's a shithole, and a lot of people there are stuck in the 50s anyway. So of course that's gonna reflect on the lyrics and the music.

vfw9qs.jpg

Know what ur talking about B4 u post. Cuz there is alotta fallacies and stupid shit in that post u just made

School me...

"The south still gettin money in the 50's."

edited January 2013

RZA did not speak the truth becuz like @Already Home_17 already said brothas dropping out and not getting there proper education is a nationwide problem NOT a just a South problem. As if a bunch of Poindexter's are walking around NY all day

NYC is so lyrically inclined cuz of the big city living and the artistic renaissances taking place there

I really don't wanna turn this thread into sum who got the best lyrics type of shit. But NY has its share of booty juice rappers.

economically it's a shithole

Yea cuz the entire country besides the South is having an enormous economic BOOM right?
    people there are stuck in the 50s anyway

Really now lol
    For the record, what I posted wasn't in any way an attempt to diss the south or big up NY. Just stating what I know in regards to our respected environments. But if I'm wrong, correct me.
  • StewStew Posts: 29,901
    The dropout rate is higher in the south and the graduation rate is lower in the south. Those #s dont lie. I have no problem with RZA's comments.
    The dropout rate is higher in the south and the graduation rate is lower in the south. Those #s dont lie. I have no problem with RZA's comments.

But Stew do u have stats on the number of black business owners and black millionaires in the north and the south
  • ohhhlaohhhla Posts: 10,314
    Lol@ TS getting mad at the truth RZA said
    No I dont, what does that have to do with Hip Hop or this topic?

U know what nevermind on that Stew

But back to the main topic

how brothers drop out ... in the sixth grade -- some of them because they have to go to work, some of them because of the poverty, some because they're not interested in the education system

How is that just a South problem?
  • Reggie80Reggie80 Posts: 2,402
    No I dont, what does that have to do with Hip Hop or this topic?

He's basically saying black people live better down south than they do up North and that Rza comments was off brand.

RZA did not speak the truth becuz like @Already Home_17 already said brothas dropping out and not getting there proper education is a nationwide problem NOT a just a South problem. As if a bunch of Poindexter's are walking around NY all day

NYC is so lyrically inclined cuz of the big city living and the artistic renaissances taking place there

I really don't wanna turn this thread into sum who got the best lyrics type of shit. But NY has its share of booty juice rappers.

economically it's a shithole

Yea cuz the entire country besides the South is having an enormous economic BOOM right?

Really now lol

Tell anyone that knows anything about hip hop to make a top 5 lyricist list. I bet you 3 out of 5 minimum would be from NY, or they're trolling.

Yeah, the whole country's in a mess right now, but the poverty rate is still the highest in the south.

The point is, not dissing the people in these areas, but pointing out the environment. NYC has more access to culture and money than any city in the south. Fact. Some people take advantage of it, some don't. Trust me, there's a lot of dumb ass niggas out here too, and some of the most intelligent people I've ever met came from the south. But the reality is we have more opportunities to expand our minds. Word to Waka Flocka not wanting to hear "dictionary rap".