Looking back at RZA's comments on the South

KingJamalKingJamal Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhkT4L06O3TpxK6i07
I was speaking on the education level in the South, how brothers drop out ... in the sixth grade -- some of them because they have to go to work, some of them because of the poverty, some because they're not interested in the education system... I was speaking on the education level in the South, how brothers drop out ... in the sixth grade -- some of them because they have to go to work, some of them because of the poverty, some because they're not interested in the education system...If anybody got a question of what I say, they can ask me. I fear no man. I fear no MC's talent," he said. "But I definitely know when you young, you feel a certain way. At one point, we as Wu-Tang was like, 'The whole industry is wack besides Wu-Tang.' That was our energy, our spirit

It's just the way RZA talks undermines his entire argument lmao
I wanna take you higher...
32DaysOfInfiniti*~queenbee~*
«13456789

Replies

  • CandleguyCandleguy Posts: 108 ✭✭✭
    His opinion on the south aside

    RZA's lyrics speak volumes about his vocabulary and intelligence
    runningwolf1980
  • MrCrookedLetterMrCrookedLetter Unless You Play Smart, Follow Your Mind Also Your Heart, The Perfect Balance Posts: 22,207 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't play the WSHH vid

    "The information you requested could not be retrieved"
    420337_10151312942875197_1250633177_n.jpg

    2012 Reason Thread Creator of The Year (Tied)
    2013 Reason Thread Creator of The Year (Tied)
    2014 Reason Thread Creator of The Year

    Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
    -Albert Einstein
  • jayvon32jayvon32 Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    INB4 thread is derailed into NY lost vs South Won argument
    10808999_798409913550274_55907950_a.jpg
    tumblr_n569mgoASK1rz70ado1_250.gif

    booty-shake-o.gifaqOim.gif
  • KingJamalKingJamal Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This ain't a NY vs south thread

    it's just about RZA's comments
    I wanna take you higher...
  • KingJamalKingJamal Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingJamal wrote: »
    This ain't a NY vs south thread

    it's just about RZA's comments

    You been on the IC long enough to know though, this will turn into something completely different from what it was supposed to be...
    Yea I know lol
    I wanna take you higher...
  • KingJamalKingJamal Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think his words ring true to a large amount of teenagers all over the country, not just the south
    but maybe shit is worse there. i dont know the statistics

    Bingo
    I wanna take you higher...
    OGClarenceBoddicker
  • LUClENLUClEN Absence makes the heart grow fonder of someone else Posts: 20,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If education level was key then rappers like Asheru would be more popular

    Rza just lookin for reasons to throw salt
    The rapper from linkin park would body the dudes in the xxxtentacion cypher
    CashmoneyDux
  • Lab BabyLab Baby Parts Unknown via BrooklynPosts: 8,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingJamal wrote: »
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    On some real shit, RZA spoke the truth. Hip hop is a reflection of the environment, as he explained. East coast, particularly NYC is so lyrically inclined cuz of the big city living and the artistic renaissances taking place there. The west is more culturally and economically diverse, so musically it's more eclectic. The south is smaller community wise, and more solid on old time tradition, so the music is bound to be a little simpler, but more solid musically. The negative effects of our communities have adverse effects on our lyrics as well. The crack era got NY stuck on grimey, the gang culture in Cali got them on that level, and so forth. Same with the south, economically it's a shithole, and a lot of people there are stuck in the 50s anyway. So of course that's gonna reflect on the lyrics and the music.

    vfw9qs.jpg

    Know what ur talking about B4 u post. Cuz there is alotta fallacies and stupid shit in that post u just made

    School me...
  • (Nope)(Nope) Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    KingJamal wrote: »
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    On some real shit, RZA spoke the truth. Hip hop is a reflection of the environment, as he explained. East coast, particularly NYC is so lyrically inclined cuz of the big city living and the artistic renaissances taking place there. The west is more culturally and economically diverse, so musically it's more eclectic. The south is smaller community wise, and more solid on old time tradition, so the music is bound to be a little simpler, but more solid musically. The negative effects of our communities have adverse effects on our lyrics as well. The crack era got NY stuck on grimey, the gang culture in Cali got them on that level, and so forth. Same with the south, economically it's a shithole, and a lot of people there are stuck in the 50s anyway. So of course that's gonna reflect on the lyrics and the music.

    vfw9qs.jpg

    Know what ur talking about B4 u post. Cuz there is alotta fallacies and stupid shit in that post u just made

    School me...

    "The south still gettin money in the 50's."

    Lab BabyOGClarenceBoddickerTurfaholic
  • KingJamalKingJamal Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    On some real shit, RZA spoke the truth. Hip hop is a reflection of the environment, as he explained. East coast, particularly NYC is so lyrically inclined cuz of the big city living and the artistic renaissances taking place there. The west is more culturally and economically diverse, so musically it's more eclectic. The south is smaller community wise, and more solid on old time tradition, so the music is bound to be a little simpler, but more solid musically. The negative effects of our communities have adverse effects on our lyrics as well. The crack era got NY stuck on grimey, the gang culture in Cali got them on that level, and so forth. Same with the south, economically it's a shithole, and a lot of people there are stuck in the 50s anyway. So of course that's gonna reflect on the lyrics and the music.

    RZA did not speak the truth becuz like @Already Home_17 already said brothas dropping out and not getting there proper education is a nationwide problem NOT a just a South problem. As if a bunch of Poindexter's are walking around NY all day

    NYC is so lyrically inclined cuz of the big city living and the artistic renaissances taking place there

    I really don't wanna turn this thread into sum who got the best lyrics type of shit. But NY has its share of booty juice rappers.

    economically it's a shithole

    Yea cuz the entire country besides the South is having an enormous economic BOOM right?
    people there are stuck in the 50s anyway

    people there are stuck in the 50s anyway

    Really now lol
    I wanna take you higher...
  • Lab BabyLab Baby Parts Unknown via BrooklynPosts: 8,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the record, what I posted wasn't in any way an attempt to diss the south or big up NY. Just stating what I know in regards to our respected environments. But if I'm wrong, correct me.
  • StewStew Rap Music Is My Religion We run this spot like a Chinese sweatshopPosts: 50,321 Regulator
    The dropout rate is higher in the south and the graduation rate is lower in the south. Those #s dont lie. I have no problem with RZA's comments.
    OGClarenceBoddickerDisciplined InSight*~queenbee~*idoitforhiphop10Meta_ConsciousMister B.
  • KingJamalKingJamal Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dropout rate is higher in the south and the graduation rate is lower in the south. Those #s dont lie. I have no problem with RZA's comments.

    But Stew do u have stats on the number of black business owners and black millionaires in the north and the south
    I wanna take you higher...
    LUClEN*~queenbee~*Wild SelfTurfaholic
  • KingJamalKingJamal Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I dont, what does that have to do with Hip Hop or this topic?

    U know what nevermind on that Stew

    But back to the main topic

    how brothers drop out ... in the sixth grade -- some of them because they have to go to work, some of them because of the poverty, some because they're not interested in the education system

    How is that just a South problem?
    I wanna take you higher...
    LUClENWild Self
  • Reggie80Reggie80 Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No I dont, what does that have to do with Hip Hop or this topic?

    He's basically saying black people live better down south than they do up North and that Rza comments was off brand.
    Bitch shut your mouth before I fuck it

    I'm still a rap fan, microphone fiend
    An insider like Russell Crowe, behind the scenes
    You can be the hottest MC, literally leave the mic smoking
    No marketing and promotion
    No 106 & Park, no TRL
    Don't kill the messenger homey but don't expect to sell
    Viacom own MTV, VH1
    BET, five labels until BMG
    Merged with Sony, EMI, Universal and WEA
    Only four labels in the music industry bruh
    All radio controlled by two companies
    Just two rap magazines, read between the lines
    Hip-hop used to be the expression of struggle with rhymes
    Corporate monopolized, only certain shit shines
    Only way to get radio and video and blow
    They control what you say, and the images you show
    CNN owned by AOL, own Time Warner
    Trickle down effect of the New World Order
    And you wonder why "Van Gogh" was killed
    Same reason Dead Prez lost they deal, get real
    I spit for the cabbage, grind with a mission
    And put Capitol Records in missionary positions
    Used to love H.E.R. like Common, but then you get signed
    (Behind the Music) now I just fuck the music from behind

    Magazine writers misprint you, take words out of context
    And got the nerve to wonder why I'm vexed
    When I read the publication
    I was like "Damn, was we in the same conversation?"
    This for the rap conniseurs, magazine critics
    Backpackers, rap stars with bullshit gimmicks
    Fans, even the "Stans," the groupies and label executives
    With corporate cards trickin my budget on coochie
    Video chicks sucking dick between takes
    Hoping to get saved, and thanks for the ass shake
    Like Dave Chappelle in "Half Baked," need a backyotomy
    And some of these thugs is into sodomy
    Large print giveth, fine print taketh away
    Your favorite rapper ain't recoup label take it away
    Have a nigga tempted to take an AK, goin postal
    Rap made me loco, hustle bicoastal
    (Why?) Because the West monopolize
    Same ol' niggas tellin the same ol' lies
    L.A. radio, quick to suck out of town dick
    South support they own create international hits
    Out of regional records, East coast create the buzz
    Music capitol of the world, thought it wasn't when it was
    And somehow manage to screw us
    Call West coast gangster rap whack, then sold it back to us...
  • Lab BabyLab Baby Parts Unknown via BrooklynPosts: 8,006 ✭✭✭✭✭
    KingJamal wrote: »
    Lab Baby wrote: »
    On some real shit, RZA spoke the truth. Hip hop is a reflection of the environment, as he explained. East coast, particularly NYC is so lyrically inclined cuz of the big city living and the artistic renaissances taking place there. The west is more culturally and economically diverse, so musically it's more eclectic. The south is smaller community wise, and more solid on old time tradition, so the music is bound to be a little simpler, but more solid musically. The negative effects of our communities have adverse effects on our lyrics as well. The crack era got NY stuck on grimey, the gang culture in Cali got them on that level, and so forth. Same with the south, economically it's a shithole, and a lot of people there are stuck in the 50s anyway. So of course that's gonna reflect on the lyrics and the music.

    RZA did not speak the truth becuz like @Already Home_17 already said brothas dropping out and not getting there proper education is a nationwide problem NOT a just a South problem. As if a bunch of Poindexter's are walking around NY all day

    NYC is so lyrically inclined cuz of the big city living and the artistic renaissances taking place there

    I really don't wanna turn this thread into sum who got the best lyrics type of shit. But NY has its share of booty juice rappers.

    economically it's a shithole

    Yea cuz the entire country besides the South is having an enormous economic BOOM right?
    people there are stuck in the 50s anyway

    people there are stuck in the 50s anyway

    Really now lol

    Tell anyone that knows anything about hip hop to make a top 5 lyricist list. I bet you 3 out of 5 minimum would be from NY, or they're trolling.

    Yeah, the whole country's in a mess right now, but the poverty rate is still the highest in the south.

    The point is, not dissing the people in these areas, but pointing out the environment. NYC has more access to culture and money than any city in the south. Fact. Some people take advantage of it, some don't. Trust me, there's a lot of dumb ass niggas out here too, and some of the most intelligent people I've ever met came from the south. But the reality is we have more opportunities to expand our minds. Word to Waka Flocka not wanting to hear "dictionary rap".
    *~queenbee~*Turfaholic
Sign In or Register to comment.