Complex: Will You '90s Babies Shut Up and Admit Rap Was 100 Times Better in the '90s?

http://m.complex.com/music/2013/02/will-you-90s-babies-shut-up-and-admit-rap-was-100-times-better-in-the-90s/

Wait, you really, actually, seriously think hip-hop is better today?

You don't have to be old to know how that's complete nonsense.

Sure, there's a lot of great technology and a lot of free music. But the signal-to-noise ratio is preposterous, and much of what's made music easy to access and cheaper than ever hasn't made things any more enjoyable. If anything, it's made the task of hunting down the good stuff even more laborious, proliferating some of the worst parts of the culture.

And no, we're not Bitter Old Heads; all of us write about new rap daily, and have no problem finding new rap worth listening to. But there's plenty of other things missing from today's hip-hop that we took for granted back in the day. Now that they're gone, it's become so obvious how much better things used to be. As such, one small request:

Will You '90s Babies Stop It—Just Stop This—Shut Up, and Admit Rap Was 100 Times Better in the '90s?

(You probably won't. But we can still talk at you.)

LIKE COMPLEX MUSIC ON FACEBOOK
[Deleted User]Black_SamsonStewTHIRDSUPREMEjoeyfkncrakkatribecalledgabi

Replies

• DNB1DNB1 If Yeen Got No Haters U Aint Poppin' Posts: 14,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol...co-sizzle.

Just looking through my iPod..40 albums/mixtapes...the oldest is Cole album...

I listen to new music...

But I whole heartedly co-sign.

I remember (off the top of my head) sitting listen to Big Pun first album in pure amazement when I first heard it...just don't get that feeling no more.

First example that came to my head but there was many, many more.
  • Lou_CypherLou_Cypher One Cold Ass Honkey It's Cold, AlaskaPosts: 29,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Im a 90's baby and i already knew this fact.
  • PK_TK_187PK_TK_187 Posts: 2,240
    2000s til now music shits on 90s music though
    (Nope)_Menace_black caesarpurpngoldKingJamalStewsoul rattlerrageTheRicanKing
  • blackrainblackrain Posts: 19,124 Regulator
    as a 90s baby, I have yet to hear my peers say today's music is better than what dropped in the 90s

but there's something to be said about enjoying what we have now, bcuz good music is still out there, than bitch about how it used to be

The music that dropped in the 90's overall was better and of more quality. Today's music suffers from the fact that EVERYBODY can put out a record. The old stereotype of everybody wanting to be a rapper in the 90's still existed, but with the internet letting anybody with a mic in their laptop put out a song, the quantity of music started outweighing the quality. In the 90's a nigga like Souljah Boy still existed making songs in his bed room...only thing is those shitty songs would have stayed in his home computer and not put out for the world to hear
    Stomp Johnsonblack caesarpurpngoldatribecalledgabi
  • unspoken_respectunspoken_respect we all we got Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Complex is right but they are usually wrong.
    almighty breeze
  • idoitforhiphop10idoitforhiphop10 Posts: 5,954 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Born in 1990, and I c/s this shit.
    andre_1024
  • blackgod813blackgod813 Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its just don't got that old feeling I feel myself drifting to Kelly to green to Hamilton to prince to Kem to Maxwell ........they Aint no new fake deathrow that's wat I need..........the most interesting thing in hiphop is zone six dissin niggas an Ross narrowly escaping with his life at every turn...them URL niggas are more interesting then actual musik
    DMTxTHCchiyosuke
  • StoneColdMikeyStoneColdMikey I am what the people need. MIKEYFORMOD CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNPosts: 24,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never met anyone who says this rap better than 90s rap. And I know niggas who don't even listen to rap from the 90s
    atribecalledgabi
  • blackgod813blackgod813 Posts: 3,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I never met anyone who says this rap better than 90s rap. And I know niggas who don't even listen to rap from the 90s

Wat type of niggas don't listen to tupac? Who raising them sukas
    Like Water
  • JokerKingJokerKing Вони виявили, Ваш номер STATION в рамках цієї спільноти! Watching Jimmy Fallon With Barbara GordonPosts: 27,042 Regulator
    Remember when certain albums had you in awe over how much of a masterpiece of music they were?

Todays hip hop fans have no idea what that feeling is like
    Lou_Cypherchiyosukejayvon32
  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 26,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don't care
    andre_1024DNB1JDSTAYWITIT.
  • andre_1024andre_1024 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember when certain albums had you in awe over how much of a masterpiece of music they were?

I get what you're trying to say, but I don't agree with it..shit I can name 3 albums that dropped in 2012 that were "masterpieces"

as a 90s baby, I have yet to hear my peers say today's music is better than what dropped in the 90s

This..

• JokerKingJokerKing Вони виявили, Ваш номер STATION в рамках цієї спільноти! Watching Jimmy Fallon With Barbara GordonPosts: 27,042 Regulator
    andre_1024 wrote: »

I get what you're trying to say, but I don't agree with it..shit I can name 3 albums that dropped in 2012 that were "masterpieces"

This..

Name em
  • P. TownP. Town Posts: 26,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lil Loca wrote: »
    Feelings were caught. As expected. Anyways, this shit was on point.

Go on somewhere Big Bertha
  • cobblandcobbland Max Julien and Vonetta McGee: "Thomasine and Bushrod" (1974) Chicago...Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    headphones_481459.jpg

Figuring out the meaning to lyrics was a personal process of decoding and discovery.

You know what one of the great thrills of listening to rap is? Decoding it. Picking it apart, bar by bar, going deeper and deeper into a record. Taking the entire sound in, and savoring the work that was put into creating it. It yielded an appreciation for the artistry put into lyricism, an appreciation that's been diluted if not completely endangered via the immediate gratification of lyrics websites (which have also made everyone and their mom a Rap Genius, pun fully intended). Smart rap fans worked to enjoy their rap. Now, you don't have to work for shit: Just Google it. And that will, in the long run, make rap fans stupider. And we get the rap we deserve. In other words: If you think Tumblr Rap is bad now, wait until it has its own Grammy category. And then enjoy Googling its lyrics.

SMH.

It's funny they mention this, when they've continued to shit on Canibus for putting too much time into making songs with lyrics that have to be decoded, or for using too many "dictionary words."

So which one is it?

They can't complain about how fucked up things are now, if you spend a large amount of time promoting bullshit over things they clearly know is better.
    RIOTSOUND.COM: You are often praised for the technical strength and lyrical dexterity of your rhymes; how did you build your style from the time you first started rhyming and who were some of the MCs that you admired that inspired you to pursue this craft?

CANIBUS: Rhetorically speaking, that sort of goes back to what I was saying about the ideology of rap music in the '80's. It was a mode of communication that you could learn from. Artists would sit down and write about their beliefs and they'd be technical about it. Artists like Rakim, for example. Big Daddy Kane, he'd use language that you didn't use in school and you didn't know it. But by hearing him say it then you'd go to school and you'd try to find out what he was talking about. Artist like The Gza, Killah Priest, Ras Kass, we all came us listening to relatively the same type of music and trying to emulate that in our own way. We wanted to be prophets, if you will, of an unexplored science.

http://www.riotsound.com/hip-hop/rap/interviews/canibus/index.php
  • andre_1024andre_1024 Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Name em

Kendrick: GKMC
    Killer Mike & El-P: RAP Music
    Ab-Soul: Control System

Not sayin they're the 3 best albums ever made, but they're masterpieces imo..
    blackgod813almighty breeze
  • fortyacres&amulefortyacres&amule wubalubadubdub Posts: 14,845 Regulator
    Is complex a white man owned magazine I need to know ?
  • cobblandcobbland Max Julien and Vonetta McGee: "Thomasine and Bushrod" (1974) Chicago...Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is complex a white man owned magazine I need to know ?

Marc Ecko started and still owns it.

marc_ecko--300x300.jpg

Rich Antoniello is the CEO.

Antonello.jpg

http://paidcontent.org/2009/12/04/419-marc-eckos-complex-media-adds-12-8-million-in-funding/
  • NoCompetitionNoCompetition Posts: 2,560 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2013
    This again? People say stuff like "music was better in the 70's" or whatever. Thats just how some people are. Nobody cares when people talk about "back in the day". And complex gets quoted a lot on here. Nobody cares what they say either. However i understand this is a good topic for a thread. Ive never heard somebody say "rap was better in the 90s" in real life. And i love some 90s rap. But everybody i know got plenty songs from the 2000s they like too including me. Some of yall are just obviously frustrated in life.
    almighty breeze
    Nah Son wrote: »
    Will those nerdy ass Complex faggots shut the hell up with their smartass articles and weirdo lists

They are right on this though

Lmao..
    kittypryde_468509_481459.jpg

Not everybody rapped

In 2013, everybody and their grandma raps. Seriously, rapping grannies are all over YouTube. For every age, shape, size, race, ethnicity, nationality, religion, sexual orientation, educational background, and profession, there's somebody on a mic representing that. Inclusion, and using rap to express different POVs, should be a good thing, but the ubiquity of rap does have its downsides.

The element of surprise is lost. That first time you heard somebody who didn't fit your image of what a rapper looked or sounded like, it was mind-blowing and opened up a whole new world of possibilities. Now, if an 85-year-old bi-sexual albino midget from Papua New Guinea started kicking a verse, split open to reveal an alien, and that extraterrestrial kept right on rapping without skipping a beat, we'd shrug our shoulders. Meh. Saw that at Coachella five years ago, my dude.

Worse though, is that, with everybody rapping and able to record themselves and broadcast it on the Internet, there's zero quality control, nobody to make people think twice. A sea of wackness has watered down rap, and it only adds to our acceptance of horrible rap. Don't believe? Revisit the aforementioned rapping granny. Maybe we don't need to hear about how old folks get crunk

Aye bruh, I goated all yo posts...but you starting to sound like a disgruntled 90s rapper out here man...

Lol...ol Sean Price ass nigga...
    [Deleted User]idoitforhiphop10StoneColdMikeyCJMorganFreemanKing