What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

Super Mario Run Sparks Princess Peach ‘Sexism’ Concerns

1CK1S1CK1S Posts: 27,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
Super Mario Run players express concerns that the game features a ‘sexist’ portrayal of Princess Peach. Some players argue that Peach’s portrayal in the game is ‘antiquated’ and supports harmful stereotypes about women.

Super Mario Run is the latest hit mobile game based on a Nintendo franchise, with Pokemon GO taking the world by storm earlier this year.

Some players say that Super Mario Run, a platforming game on iOS, is sexist. In the game’s World Tour mode, Princess Peach invites Mario to a party at her castle and offers to bake him a cake. Gaming’s best-known royal is then kidnapped by (notorious Mario-universe villain) Bowser and players must progress through 24 levels to rescue Princess Peach and unlock her as a playable character.

While Mario rescuing Princess Peach has been a big part of the Mario franchise ever since the character was first introduced in the 1980s, on social media, some players say that Super Mario Run offered Nintendo a chance to put forward a new plot. The company had an opportunity to do away with the sexist notion that Princess Peach needs to be rescued, that’s she’s helpless and cannot defend herself, but it chose to embrace that trope once more instead.

That Princess Peach is baking a cake – rather than DJ-ing at the party or some other task – has also drawn criticism. ‘Women belong in the kitchen/women only know how to bake’ is a common sexist stereotype. There’s nothing wrong with baking, of course, but some believe that it’s the only thing that women (and female characters) are good for and the argument is that combined with Peach’s ‘helplessness,’ Super Mario Run is helping to reinforce that line of sexist thinking.

Many players have also pointed out that Super Mario Run is the first time that many people – particularly young girls and women – may have interacted with a Nintendo game or the Mario franchise and that reshaping the series’ portrayal of Princess Peach could have seen the company win over many new fans.

With Super Mario Run having set records when it launched on iOS devices last week, there’s no indication that Peach’s portrayal has limited the game’s success so far. However, with just three levels being available for free and the full World Tour campaign being locked behind a $10 paywall, the reluctance to pay to play through the rest of the ‘sexist’ plot could potentially have an impact on Nintendo’s earnings.

At this point it’s unclear whether Nintendo will update the game to address concerns, or what the company’s plans are for Mario games are going forward. We’ll keep you posted should the company release an official comment.
I don't have dreams I have goals. Dreams are what you have when you are sleep. Goals are what you strive to reach when you are awake!
silverfoxxThe RecipeCeLLaR-DooRCJiron man1HundredEyes texas409Valentinez A. Kaiserdallas' 4 evaLEMZIMUS_RAMSEY i ro nyonetoughmiracle$ineedmoney$

Replies

• gnsgns Bleeding 24/7 Posts: 21,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smmfh
    Video games are supposed to shape kids now?
    $50 sez the bitches that are complaining bare a strong resemblance to meg
    8F8aahq.png
    LcnsdbyROYALTYMax.onetoughmiracle
  • StoneColdMikeyStoneColdMikey mikeyismod CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNPosts: 33,315 Regulator
    LMFAOOOOOOO
    #Mikeyismod2017
    silverfoxxiron man1
  • hueyhuey Posts: 11,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please post link to this article.
    d[-_-]b

Enoch VI-VII
  • The RecipeThe Recipe Posts: 10,510 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is just dumb.
    Valentinez A. KaiserLcnsdbyROYALTYSo ILLonetoughmiracle
  • HafBaykedHafBayked Posts: 16,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    its too late mane smh....

they tried to tell us long ago to fight this shit but some of us wanted to pander to the ladies

they will be THE men soon

maybe Luigi should have been making Jello Jigglers and sipping wine while the Princess chopped wood and smoked cigars smh
    So ILLonetoughmiracle
  • Karl.Karl. Posts: 8,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're playing Mario for the story you got rocks in your head. It's a platformer. All
    About the gameplay.

Anyway you can play as Peach in the game. She has her own unique characteristics. Just like old western Mario 2.
    Broddie
  • Black_SamsonBlack_Samson do 10 pushups everytime you read my post... you know you want too. Posts: 61,482 Regulator
    What should a princess look like?

if i were an FBI Agent tasked with monitoring a forum, I'd post random pictures and watch the reactions of the people.
    j3xxbrubogcz1kewbepy.gif

Você é um otário. Zé buceta. Vai tomar no meio do seu cu. Filho da puta. Arrombado
    King Of The Onomatopoeia
  • dalyricalbanditdalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Posts: 67,361 Regulator
  • texas409texas409 Posts: 20,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    feminazis at work here
  • Recaptimus_Prime360Recaptimus_Prime360 Earned my Masters and Ph.d in Phat Booty-ology Posts: 64,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    AGSN: OUR MOVEMENT STILL CONTINUES.
  • vespesianusvespesianus Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    OP could have made the whole shit up though, where's the link for this article? What's the source? If it's some no name small town newspaper or something then who gives a shit, if it's the New York Times then that's something different
    Bowser play way too damn much. It aint een like he be tryna fuck or nothin. You'd think somebody that owned 7 or 8 castles and numerous small fortresses would have enough money to buy all the IG pussy he wanted and giv'em that Saudi Prince treatment. Instead he still bullshittin with Peach ole raggedy ass.

If we gon be outraged, lets be mad about that.
    StoneColdMikey
  • themadlionsfanthemadlionsfan Posts: 9,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This has gone too far
    lions-650x406.jpg
  • playmaker88playmaker88 Boy, I tell you that's vision Like Tony Romo when he hitting Witten Posts: 67,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • StoneColdMikeyStoneColdMikey mikeyismod CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNPosts: 33,315 Regulator
    OP could have made the whole shit up though, where's the link for this article? What's the source? If it's some no name small town newspaper or something then who gives a shit, if it's the New York Times then that's something different

Yeah this is the only place where I seen this article
    #Mikeyismod2017
  • focusfocus The #1 Nigga, I Don't Need No Hype. Posts: 5,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So yall havent heard of Google? Its from the NY Times. They went as far as to say it wasnt a "family friendly game" lol

HundredEyes CeLLaR-DooRThe RecipeCJ
  • So ILLSo ILL Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reach is unbelievable lol.
    It's kinda annoying how these so called journalists will see 2 complaints from some idiot on Twitter then use them make up some bullshit article.
    The RecipeHaast Eagle
  • LEMZIMUS_RAMSEYLEMZIMUS_RAMSEY SHAPE YOUR REALITY INSIDE WHICH YOU THRIVE Posts: 17,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We got

Lara Croft
    Bayonetta
    Lighning
    Yuna
    Chun Li
    That girl in Mirror's edge

And here they are crying about Mario... smh
    apocalyse-xmen-2016.jpg
    Karl. wrote: »
    It's kinda annoying how these so called journalists will see 2 complaints from some idiot on Twitter then use them make up some bullshit article.

That's exactly what it is
    #Mikeyismod2017