Badges

desertrain10 ✭✭✭✭✭

About

Username
desertrain10
Joined
Visits
2,854
Last Active
Roles
Members
Points
4,472
Posts
4,383
Badges
20
  • Re: Why aren't women?

    dave chappelle is my favorite comedian, but the funniest ppl I personally know are women

    I would say there are women with the talent out there, but they go unnoticed/ unheralded because of the actual and perceived lack of opportunities available to women looking to foster their talents in these fields

    its getting better though

    and what about lauren hill, queen latifa, lil kim, etc who topped the charts and had just as much talent as a jay or a pac or a big

    not to mention, some of the top comedians like chris rock owe some of their funniest material to women writers like wanda sykes

    then there is wnba players like sue bird, tina thompson, and lisa leslie who many knowledgeable ppl would argue were dominate players

    not surprising you aren't real familiar with these women though
    Brother_FiveblacktuxAbraxas BlackCatSneakDZA
  • Re: The Official 2016 Presidential Election Thread

    Sion wrote: »
    janklow wrote: »
    Stiff wrote: »
    oh my god oh my god she's so trill. I love her and can't wait to give her my money
    it amazes me how America has nominated two spectacular shitlords to run for president

    can't wait until we all regret it

    smh

    our next president tis either going to be .....

    a lying mentally unsound, failed businessman turned reality tv star OR

    an unethical war hawk with ties to some of the worst ppl on the planet ....who is currently being investigated by the FBI for what she claims is a non issue even though she has gone to great lengths to cover her tracks


    Wasn't Obama under investigation for ties to Tony Rezko and also Rob Blagoavich ? Reverend Wright and also Goldman Sachs ?? Oh how niggas luuuuhhh to forget (or choosy). The objective is to win LOLOLOLOLOL, if you were being harassed, under attack and trying to win the presidency (or debating) I refuse to believe you'd simply give niggas the okey doke.


    I say all that to say this is politics and there's never been a candidate who ran and never had a record ppl tried to use against them. Kennedy was under investigation for mob ties to Sam giacanna, Bush had ties to Osama Bin Laden family, Daddy Bush and the Skull & Bones crew, Johnson and brothel owners, Nixon/Kissinger, on and on I can go. Shit imagine the things that will come out when Will Smith runs for President.....

    1. From ive read, Rev Wright is cool with me....wouldn't consider him to be a shady character at all lol

    2. I have never been Obama biggest fan nor that fond of American politics. So at least im not one of these "choosy" niggas you are referring to

    3. All FBI investigations aren't equal

    But let's stay on topic

    I am fully aware there are politicians who do have questionable ties, have skeletons in the closet. Some more then others. We are all human. Clinton just being one of many

    Still isn't an excuse for her actions. She isnt above being criticized. And that doesn't mean as a politician getting yourself dirty should be acceptable let alone necessary

    That said, I don't believe she is this evil person who deserves to be imprisoned either. Not like they found emails connecting her to some huge conspiracy

    I just find her to be a bad candidate for the job...

    Again, FBI invesigation aside, I still believe she is an unethical war hawk with very questiable ties and no redeemable qualities

    And Trump leaves a lot to be desired...which is an understatement
    SionBlackCat
  • Re: Lets address the misogynoirism in Black Community....

    Purr wrote: »
    Men and women can both believe in misogyny and uphold it.

    Unfortunately, yall did not give @Cunt_Lyfe a chance to educate on a subject that she has her degree in and in the trenches about it.

    Learning does not come with debate but actively listening. Researching and then engaging.

    You all really missed the point.

    And the women in here supporting misogyny.

    Smh.


    It is not about relationships between men and women but to actually see the misogynoir that happens to you as a black woman in a patriarchal male dominated society.

    It is different.

    You see feminism as a white woman thing.

    I suggest you read kimberlee crenshaw, Alice walker, and others on the topic of womanism and intersectional discrimination that black women face in a world of anti-blackness and sexism.

    And elzo. You spelled misogyny wrong in the thread title.

    You can't possibly believe that anything good could come from coming out of the gate and telling a bunch of black men that they are all misogynists and that they hate black women. If that's how she was taught to engage in this subject matter, then her degree isn't worth the paper it was printed on.

    And you bring up her degree, and forgive me if I missed it, but I don't see where she presented any vetted and documented information. You were the first to do that. Also, I'm going to just disagree with part of your premise. You are probably right. There are unique issues that black women face that black men don't understand. The only way we as black men can understand is to listen and learn. However, this stance that you guys keep taking that we aren't allowed to openly engage in this discussion until we're experts on the stuff that you're pushing is problematic. I'm not saying the information you're providing doesn't have merit. Some of it is factual revelation of the issues faced by women. However, some of it is subjective such as the culpability you choose to apply to men on this site, and when you open the discussion with those accusations, you should expect to get a response. Basically, there are points that can be argued because not all of what you and some of the other women are pushing are objective facts.

    Case in point, @desertrain10 provided a list of things that should be done to combat misogynoir. Those things are not objective facts that we men need to be educated on. Those are opinions held by feminists and opinions. And we don't need to be experts in misogynoir to discuss opinions.

    objective facts?

    I was asked for my OPINION in regards to what I thought could be done to combat/address misogynoir in the blk community? specifically what blk men could do

    that said, i believe we live in a society that often seeks to rob women of their agency and perpetuates hatred towards women, particularly those who offends the white, male, patriarchal gaze ...and I gave my opinion as to what I thought should be done about it...

    nothing more, nothing less

    and actually a lot of what I speak is echoed in the articles @purr posted

    if you are referring to my stance on abortion, i'm not trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking. people are free to have their own opinions. my point was that, regardless of intent, if we make abortion illegal we would be forcing pregnant women to carry children to term they don't want. and that is effectively stripping away a woman's right to do as she pleases with her reproductive organs. its just that black and white.

    i haven't always been on the right side of the aisle, but i like a lot of women would be ok with giving men the right to abort their financial obligations to their child before its conception

    then some of the same politicians and contingencies who oppose abortion aren't fans of the pill either. they along with others oppose the idea of birth control and or support the idea that birth control should not be covered by health insurance, arguing its sinful. but what they really mean is women are only meant to be baby receptacles for their husbands. never do they consider that birth control is often times used for a variety of medical conditions not just as a contraceptive

    sadly we as a society entertain this garbage. and you know how it hurts the most? women of color

    in regards to welfare reform, i was referring to our support of the politicians who were pushing this narrative that it was welfare that created black single mothers. and that there was this large contingent of blk women having tons of babies, only to push their fathers out the home, just to get a welfare check. these single mothers, rather then structural barriers and racism, were the real architects of american ghettos. even today we regurgitate the toxic rhetoric. i bring this up because i believe SOME of the support and this need to see certain women suffer "because they need to be held responsible for their actions" , even if it counterproductive/ means their children will suffer as well, is fueled by self hate and misogyny

    which brings me to my next point, i think we need to redefine what it means to be a man. a lot of ppl associate masculinity most with domination, hyper-sexuality, physicality and material wealth. shunning all things feminine. obviously this can be problematic, especially for members of marginalized communities. this can help to explain why women of color are at a greater risk of being abused by an intimate partner. and how most black women murdered are murdered by men and most blk women murdered are nearly always killed by men they know intimately

    PurrDWO
  • Re: Lets address the misogynoirism in Black Community....


    objective facts?

    I was asked for my OPINION in regards to what I thought could be done to combat/address misogynoir in the blk community? specifically what blk men could do

    that said, i believe we live in a society that often seeks to rob women of their agency and perpetuates hatred towards women, particularly those who offends the white, male, patriarchal gaze ...and I gave my opinion as to what I thought should be done about it...

    nothing more, nothing less

    and actually a lot of what I speak is echoed in the articles @purr posted

    if you are referring to my stance on abortion, i'm not trying to convert anyone to my way of thinking. people are free to have their own opinions. my point was that, regardless of intent, if we make abortion illegal we would be forcing pregnant women to carry children to term they don't want. and that is effectively stripping away a woman's right to do as she pleases with her reproductive organs. its just that black and white.

    i haven't always been on the right side of the aisle, but i like a lot of women would be ok with giving men the right to abort their financial obligations to their child before its conception

    then some of the same politicians and contingencies who oppose abortion aren't fans of the pill either. they along with others oppose the idea of birth control and or support the idea that birth control should not be covered by health insurance, arguing its sinful. but what they really mean is women are only meant to be baby receptacles for their husbands. never do they consider that birth control is often times used for a variety of medical conditions not just as a contraceptive

    sadly we as a society entertain this garbage. and you know how it hurts the most? women of color

    in regards to welfare reform, i was referring to our support of the politicians who were pushing this narrative that it was welfare that created black single mothers. and that there was this large contingent of blk women having tons of babies, only to push their fathers out the home, just to get a welfare check. these single mothers, rather then structural barriers and racism, were the real architects of american ghettos. even today we regurgitate the toxic rhetoric. i bring this up because i believe SOME of the support and this need to see certain women suffer "because they need to be held responsible for their actions" , even if it counterproductive/ means their children will suffer as well, is fueled by self hate and misogyny

    which brings me to my next point, i think we need to redefine what it means to be a man. a lot of ppl associate masculinity most with domination, hyper-sexuality, physicality and material wealth. shunning all things feminine. obviously this can be problematic, especially for members of marginalized communities. this can help to explain why women of color are at a greater risk of being abused by an intimate partner. and how most black women murdered are murdered by men and most blk women murdered are nearly always killed by men they know intimately

    I think you misunderstood my point. I wasn't knocking you. I was pointing out that for matters like this, all you guys can do is give opinions. @purr is basically telling us that we can't engage with you guys until we shut up and are educated by you guys. But you can't educate us with your opinions. You have to tell us your opinions on how things can be fixed and allow us to discuss.

    As for your opinions, I don't really agree with most of what you say because I feel its very biased and completely misses the male side. It's not that I think that what you're saying is unreasonable. I don't. I just think that there needs to be a back and forth in order to get to a solution. That's how you solve problems. You don't tell one side to shut up and acquiesce.

    But yeah society sets up stupid contradictions. I'm not outright against abortion but I'm not a fan of it. That said anyone who is outright against abortion but also against contraception is an idiot. And not allowing birth control to be put on insurance hurts men too. After all, there might not be nearly as many dudes with their pockets being drained if women could have that kind of access to birth control.

    Lastly, I'd agree that we need to be more mindful of what we teach men. The hypersexuality and overagression hurts us just as much as it hurts you. However, some of you are going overboard. As men, we should be strong and we shouldn't be forced to embrace femininity in ourselves. The education system is already trying to redefine how boys are raised and taught. It's stamping out everything that benefits boys and pushing what is beneficial to girls. The results of that pretty much across the board is that boys are falling behind in school and no longer thriving. That's why you see all the initiatives to get schools for boys. It's not because people are against girls. It's because society is trying so hard to overcorrect for the injustices shown towards women that it's hurting boys. You feminists don't see that because you don't care about that. It doesn't fit your agenda, and you'd never see it without active discourse with men.

    Considering misogynoir is often used to describe prejudice experienced by blk women in a range of contexts, who is best to share their experiences and help people understand than blk women

    That said, what I think @purr was making the point that if we are going to have a healthy discussion in terms of solutions participants should first have an understanding of what it means to be a blk woman

    Biased how? We are discussing misogynoir, obviously my posts are going to centered on the experiences and plight of blk women

    And yes, not allowing birth control to be put on insurance hurts men too. Doesn't make it any less an assault on women

    Sexism, patriarchy, gender roles hurts both men and women to varying degrees

    For ex, some like to argue society doesn't hold women accountable for their actions to the same effect as men. But then again, I could argue women's actions are considered less affective, less meaningful and less significant than male actions. So while women may get a collective pass when it comes to certain offenses, we also get collectively passed over when it comes to promotion to jobs with real authority and power

    In regards to dropout and graduation rates, grades, and many test scores that show boys faring poorly compared to girls, I would contend
    ingrained sexism and gender roles is hampering schooling for both boys and girls. Studies show biased teachers are steering girls away from STEM which could potentiallylimit a woman's career opportunities and earnings in the future. I believe the attainment gap has more to do with factors outside the school house considering middle to low income boys and boys of color are far more likely to fall behind their female counterparts. boys seem to be more sensitive than girls to disadvantage. any disadvantage, like growing up in poverty or and in a bad neighborhood.

    Same as ingrained sexism and gender roles continue to hurt both men and women, so does misogyny

    Misogyny, the hatred, ridicule, and fear of femininity, can structure male experience as much as female experience. In some ways, in fact, misogyny can be even more restrictive for men than for women. I think it's a big reason why men commit suicide more frequently than women, even though women typically have higher rates of mental health disorders like depression. Men are discouraged from doing things that could possible help them to cope with the pressures of life like discussing their emotions and fears with others because it's feminine
    PurrAjackson17DWOblacktux
  • Re: Lets address the misogynoirism in Black Community....

    zzombie wrote: »
    zzombie wrote: »
    zzombie wrote: »
    OK misogynoir exists what are the plans to realistically stop it???? it cannot be stopped because it's existence is based on female FEELINGS.

    Every time a black women feels a little disrespected or marginalized she becomes a victim of misogynoir SO HOW THE FUCK are we going to create a world in which black women are never disrespected or marginalized??? it's fucking impossible.

    this is the basis of the thread
    Cunt_Lyfe wrote: »
    Cunt_Lyfe wrote: »
    Like I said before, I give up.

    Some of y'all ain't gonna get free.

    And that's okay.

    U either build or destroy. ..u either part of the problem or solution...

    Sorry to say it, but it's a reality. I've made peace with the fact that many dudes don't actually want to destroy white supremacy--they want a seat at its table. So they'll adopt toxic masculinity towards Black women as if it's a weapon in order to gain a semblance of power that doesn't and will never exist under the current system.

    Look, misogynoir is political, economic, and social. People are socialized to see Black women as the enemy, which is why you have men in here saying that Black women who address it are traitorous and can't be trusted when they call attention to it. Black women are being incarcerated at a high rate. Black transgender women are impoverished, harassed, and killed by transmisogynists. Black women's sexual agency is stripped from them--case in point, that's why you have nude exposures, shaming of sex workers, and criminalization of Black women in that industry. Black single mothers are routinely shamed for their own poverty and the cutting of the social safety net.


    What I want is for niggas who understand this to talk to other men who perpetuate this and see how gender intersects with race when we talk about the current movement. Challenge them on what they say. You have to put your allyship to Black women into practice.

    thiss is a start.....

    SO you think talking to men about changing the way they make women feel is going to make mysogynoir go away or be less of a problem. so you don't have a problem with making men slaves to women's feelings.

    the premise of this thread is asking women how they d like us to rectify this issue

    I don't think black women have an answer at least not a realistic one that keeps our manhood and freedom intact.

    You can begin by taking a step back and reflecting on how your subtle everyday attitudes affect the hostile environment in which blk women find themselves today

    no offense but u are a black woman right?

    Last time I checked ....
    Elzo69Renaissanceblackgod813DWOmiamivice305goldenjaIgboNegro