What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Who has had more influence on Contemporary music? Michael J. or Mariah?

Punisher__Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
edited March 2010 in R&B & Alternatives
Serious answers permitted only.

Discuss.
«1

Comments

  • ccluvsauccluvsau Members Posts: 1,852 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Is this a trick question?
  • DariusDarius Members Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    teenagers..
  • Punisher__Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    ccluvsau wrote: »
    Is this a trick question?

    Of course not.

    I am not a shock poster.
  • BodhiBodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    I mean Marvin Gaye
  • THEsweetheart92THEsweetheart92 Members Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Master P the GOAT.
    10 characters
  • hautehaute Members Posts: 11,581 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    really though?
  • Punisher__Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    I mean, Mariah is the reason that pop and hip hop can virtually overlap nowadays, which is pretty much the foundation for whatever gets played on top 40 radio.

    Do we agree?
  • kuskklassickuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    I mean, Mariah is the reason that pop and hip hop can virtually overlap nowadays, which is pretty much the foundation for whatever gets played on top 40 radio.

    Do we agree?

    u kinda have a point! Pop and Hip Hop were total opposites and people never thought that they could merge. Mariah Carey took a chance by put Ol 🤬 Bastard on one of her mos famous single, Fantasy! This provided the formula for alot of things on the radio. Before that u never heard an Pop singers on a track with a rapper! Michael Jackson could be argued because of his work on Dangerous but that album was more New Jack Swing/R&B based than Pop.
  • thefabmd2dcthefabmd2dc Members Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Is Mariah really a pop singer though??? Exclusively
    You cant just put her in that category because of her success shes touched a lot of genres and pop just happened to be one of them but you cant say shes all pop and ODB brought hip-hop to her sound.
  • arbitrationarbitration Members Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    This thread was done last year. The answer is resoundingly Michael Jackson. Nothing has changed. Mariah Carey is a big fish, but she's swimming in the pond that Michael Jackson created.

    /Close thread.
  • airafromanairafroman Banned Users Posts: 87
    edited February 2010
    pop is not a 🤬 genre....
  • Punisher__Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    This thread was done last year. The answer is resoundingly Michael Jackson. Nothing has changed. Mariah Carey is a big fish, but she's swimming in the pond that Michael Jackson created.

    /Close thread.

    I disagree.
  • Still Cool BeansStill Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    I mean, Mariah is the reason that pop and hip hop can virtually overlap nowadays, which is pretty much the foundation for whatever gets played on top 40 radio.

    Do we agree?

    I could definitely see this argument in terms of the actual sound of top 40. However in terms of being a "pop"-ular artist, Mike is the blueprint by which all these artists follow. Industry wise I'd say Mike and it's not even close.
  • IbexIbex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    This can't be a real thread
  • Punisher__Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    I could definitely see this argument in terms of the actual sound of top 40. However in terms of being a "pop"-ular artist, Mike is the blueprint by which all these artists follow. Industry wise I'd say Mike and it's not even close.

    All of which artists? In terms of combining hip hop with pop sensibilities, I'd say a lot of these "pop"-ular artists have followed Mariah, moreso than Mike.
  • quietaskeptquietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Ibex wrote: »
    This can't be a real thread

    Well...it started in the G&S and got moved. That should explain things.
  • Still Cool BeansStill Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    All of which artists? In terms of combining hip hop with pop sensibilities, I'd say a lot of these "pop"-ular artists have followed Mariah, moreso than Mike.

    I'm speaking in terms of the multi-media conglomerate that Mike was. He is the blueprint. 🤬 he gave birth to the music video.
  • Punisher__Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    I'm speaking in terms of the multi-media conglomerate that Mike was. He is the blueprint. 🤬 he gave birth to the music video.

    I see what you're saying. And maybe I'm arguing something completely different.

    To me, when I look at the overall landscape of popular music today, it's that pop/hip hop fusion that is so prevalent and continues to dominate all formats. And that has Mariah's name all over it.
  • Still Cool BeansStill Cool Beans Members Posts: 462 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    I see what you're saying. And maybe I'm arguing something completely different.

    To me, when I look at the overall landscape of popular music today, it's that pop/hip hop fusion that is so prevalent and continues to dominate all formats. And that has Mariah's name all over it.

    Yeah we're kind of arguing two seperate points. I understand the point you're trying to make however.
  • Yung_Souf_MoneyYung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    micheal jackson duh
  • Punisher__Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited February 2010
    micheal jackson duh

    I disagree.
  • mrjun18mrjun18 Members Posts: 207
    edited March 2010
    "I mean, Mariah is the reason that pop and hip hop can virtually overlap nowadays, which is pretty much the foundation for whatever gets played on top 40 radio."


    Jody Watley thinks otherwise.....
  • iniainia Members Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    This thread was done last year. The answer is resoundingly Michael Jackson. Nothing has changed. Mariah Carey is a big fish, but she's swimming in the pond that Michael Jackson created.

    /Close thread.
    Strong co-sign. The threadstarter must be a huge MC fan.
  • buttuh_bbuttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    TS is a Mariah stan.
  • Punisher__Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    mrjun18 wrote: »
    "I mean, Mariah is the reason that pop and hip hop can virtually overlap nowadays, which is pretty much the foundation for whatever gets played on top 40 radio."


    Jody Watley thinks otherwise.....

    Care to elaborate?
Sign In or Register to comment.