What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

The roles for black women in Hollywood are awful

KinkyCurls
KinkyCurls Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭
edited April 2011 in Lights, Camera, Action!
"My roommate is on this casting website for background/extra roles in LA. They rarely have roles for african americans, and when they do... they look like this:

Chaos Allstate Spoof Commercial copy, credit No Non-Union 4/22/2011
Lead / Female / African American / 18 - 30

CHAOS is an overweight black girl in the hood. She prefers the term thick because it makes her feel pretty. CHOAS is introducing herself on camera and brings attention to a deal at a chicken restaurant that is no longer available. She's 🤬 when she heard the news, we cut to her beating up a man. Cut back to her smiling and composed, "...so get allstate and be better protected from chaos like me". thats a wrap



Gloom & doom. There are many more. She even showed me a casting that asked for "blue black skinny ghetto female hood""


"The 🤬 roles are specifically for African American women. If there is a broader casting it reads:

Lead / Female / Caucasian, Asian, East Indian, Hispanic, Ethnicity Ambiguous / 21 - 40

Seeking hot young sexy women to become the spokesperson of our new drink line. Paid role. $500/hr. looking for light skin, green eyes and great complexion. not too tan.

Ive also seen some roles that ask for all other races, then only light skinned black or mixed women with long-ish hair

I'm all for the artist trying to convey their personal image...but NO roles for black women? really? only if you get 🤬 /killed/are ghetto?"

http://www.lipstickalley.com/f4/only-castings-they-have-black-women-298014/
«1

Comments

  • KinkyCurls
    KinkyCurls Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    ^^^^

    thats why us black fols should be thanking tyler perry instead of bashing him to pieces. Hes the only one trying to benefit us black women
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Yeah they should bare their 🤬 more. sMH @ 🤬 discrimination. We see pasty white 🤬 all the time.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    I cosign everything in this thread that is anti-fat women.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    I gotta agree with the t/s on this but lets face it people, including, blacks aint trying to see black folks on leading roles like that....hell even in our music videos and magazine covers women from other races seem to get preferential treatment vs. the full blooded sista. the only reason cats like denzel and fishburne getting star roles is cuz they had to put in mad ground work...hmm people including blacks, aint checking for us outside of the typical stereotypical roles and movies...thats why I disliked the attention precious got so much...🤬 negroes saying this is real 🤬 and what not, 🤬 love to see black folks in 🤬 up situations.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    A better question would be, how many good black actress are really out there? Angella Bassett is probably the only one, Halle Berry is extremely overrated. I think good roles for females in Hollywood are limited period, imagine how less it is for African American females. Most of these Hollywood actresses are eye candy with no acting chops (Megan Fox, Megan Good, Scarlett Johansen, etc).
  • KinkyCurls
    KinkyCurls Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    I wish black people would create there own standard of beauty I want the africans and jamiacans to stop bleaching there skin, I want black women to let that perm go, to stop eating fast food and exercise a little. I want black men to appreciate dark skin and stop following white men, in everything just for once, stop wearing those skinny tight jeans trade them in for daishiki's,trade the skateboard in for african drums. trade that white is right mentality for black is beautiful. I want im a black and i am proud. I am tired of the blonde keri. the keri hilsons the beyonces the nicki minajs, wiz kalifa and chris brown. when has a white person ever put perm in there hair to get an afro??

    I wish i was born in the 70s. :(
  • KinkyCurls
    KinkyCurls Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    yesterday I sw this dark skin black guy with long dreads, with an equally dark skin black woman with the biggest afro. they looked so powerful together everyone was staring at them like they were that ish.
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 #Sawse San DiegoMembers Posts: 7,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    KinkyCurls wrote: »
    ^^^^

    thats why us black fols should be thanking tyler perry instead of bashing him to pieces. Hes the only one trying to benefit us black women

    true. well spoken
  • KinkyCurls
    KinkyCurls Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    I gotta agree with the t/s on this but lets face it people, including, blacks aint trying to see black folks on leading roles like that....hell even in our music videos and magazine covers women from other races seem to get preferential treatment vs. the full blooded sista. the only reason cats like denzel and fishburne getting star roles is cuz they had to put in mad ground work...hmm people including blacks, aint checking for us outside of the typical stereotypical roles and movies...thats why I disliked the attention precious got so much...🤬 negroes saying this is real 🤬 and what not, 🤬 love to see black folks in 🤬 up situations.

    us black people have TO support each other. thats why I got so mad when I heard spike lee and tyler perry had beef. they can create something amazing together. and I hate when blacks hate on other blacks actually doing something for us. Tyler perry is one the heros of the black community whether you like it or not.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    KinkyCurls wrote: »
    yesterday I sw this dark skin black guy with long dreads, with an equally dark skin black woman with the biggest afro. they looked so powerful together everyone was staring at them like they were that ish.

    You care too 🤬 much what peoples preference is, how about you just live you damn life and stop acting like you're Storm from X-Men. People like different things for difference reason.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Loading up my Grey Matter Glock Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Why are we in here 🤬 about there not being any good roles for black women instead of us doing what we've ALWAYS done: make out own lane and not wait for someone else to make it for us?

    So if you feel there are not any worthwhile roles for us in Hollywood, don't blame the white directors and writers, etc. Blame Halle Barry, Oprah, Angela Basset, Sanaa Lathan, etc.

    And please don't get started about Tyler Perry. That's a whole other thread.

    Also, I understand TS is passionate about this type of 🤬 , but can you please make some other kinds of threads? Lol. No hate, just saying.
  • young law
    young law Members Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    KinkyCurls wrote: »
    I wish black people would create there own standard of beauty I want the africans and jamiacans to stop bleaching there skin, I want black women to let that perm go, to stop eating fast food and exercise a little. I want black men to appreciate dark skin and stop following white men, in everything just for once, stop wearing those skinny tight jeans trade them in for daishiki's,trade the skateboard in for african drums. trade that white is right mentality for black is beautiful. I want im a black and i am proud. I am tired of the blonde keri. the keri hilsons the beyonces the nicki minajs, wiz kalifa and chris brown. when has a white person ever put perm in there hair to et an afro??

    I wish i was born in the 70s. :(

    fam,luv,lady,

    i was with you until you said you wish you were born in the 70's.
    if you were born in the 70's that would mean your coming of age would be the 80's and/or ealry 90's.
    that was not a good time frame for us.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    KinkyCurls wrote: »
    I wish black people would create there own standard of beauty I want the africans and jamiacans to stop bleaching there skin, I want black women to let that perm go, to stop eating fast food and exercise a little. I want black men to appreciate dark skin and stop following white men, in everything just for once, stop wearing those skinny tight jeans trade them in for daishiki's,trade the skateboard in for african drums. trade that white is right mentality for black is beautiful. I want im a black and i am proud. I am tired of the blonde keri. the keri hilsons the beyonces the nicki minajs, wiz kalifa and chris brown. when has a white person ever put perm in there hair to get an afro??

    I wish i was born in the 70s. :(

    I agree that Black is beautiful and your ideal world sounds nice but in mine, people are free to express themselves however they want to. Black men should be allowed to straighten their hair and dye it pink if they want to without having their Blackness questioned or being socially ostracized/criticized for it. There are health issues with bleaching your skin and eating fast food/not exercising so it would be better if those 'fads' died out, even then,participants should be made aware of the risk and the rest is up to them, not me. I cannot tolerate people who feel the need to force their way into other people's private affairs or control their lives, minding my own business is such an inherent part of my personality.

    I love '60s/'70s music (soul/folk rock) and I used to love watching Blaxploitation movies and Good Times.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    young law wrote: »
    fam,luv,lady,

    i was with you until you said you wish you were born in the 70's.
    if you were born in the 70's that would mean your coming of age would be the 80's and/or ealry 90's.
    that was not a good time frame for us.
    This post is a good example of doing the math.
  • whatevathehell
    whatevathehell Members Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    KinkyCurls wrote: »
    us black people have TO support each other. thats why I got so mad when I heard spike lee and tyler perry had beef. they can create something amazing together. and I hate when blacks hate on other blacks actually doing something for us. Tyler perry is one the heros of the black community whether you like it or not.

    how you gon talk up evey non black man there ever was and then say some 🤬 like this......its kinda hard for people to support something they dont like in the first place..myself NOT included. anyway tyler perry is a closet 🤬 who make stereotypical movies. Some of its entertaining but on the whole I cant cosign dudes movies...he just catering to who will pay him.....and satisfying his strange cross dressing tendencies..is that you in the avi?
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    I can't remember the last time I even watched a Black movie or tv show (at least not something new).
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven I don't knowMembers Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    KinkyCurls wrote: »
    I wish black people would create there own standard of beauty I want the africans and jamiacans to stop bleaching there skin, I want black women to let that perm go, to stop eating fast food and exercise a little. I want black men to appreciate dark skin and stop following white men, in everything just for once, stop wearing those skinny tight jeans trade them in for daishiki's,trade the skateboard in for african drums. trade that white is right mentality for black is beautiful. I want im a black and i am proud. I am tired of the blonde keri. the keri hilsons the beyonces the nicki minajs, wiz kalifa and chris brown. when has a white person ever put perm in there hair to get an afro??

    I wish i was born in the 70s. :(

    You 🤬 idiot.We are not AFRICAN.African Americans and Africans are different.We have separate cultures and beliefs.🤬 I look like wearing a damn daishiki? Also what about us lightskinned 🤬 who are not darkskinned and got that good curly hair you 🤬 nose having 🤬 .
  • KinkyCurls
    KinkyCurls Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    You 🤬 idiot.We are not AFRICAN.African Americans and Africans are different.We have separate cultures and beliefs.🤬 I look like wearing a damn daishiki? Also what about us lightskinned 🤬 who are not darkskinned and got that good curly hair you 🤬 nose having 🤬 .

    Obviously based on your profile pick I already detest your ass
  • s0j0urner
    s0j0urner Members Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    You 🤬 idiot.We are not AFRICAN.African Americans and Africans are different.We have separate cultures and beliefs.🤬 I look like wearing a damn daishiki? Also what about us lightskinned 🤬 who are not darkskinned and got that good curly hair you 🤬 nose having 🤬 .
    ^^ this 🤬 ignorant [expletive].
    You do realise that there are light skinned Africans, white Africans & beuatiful black Africans?
    Charlize Theron
    Thandiwe Newton
    Rosalla Miller
    Boris Kodjoe
    Mrs. Heinz-Kerry
    I can go on and on, but your ignorance is mind boggling - as such I will not waste my time on people of your kith.
    There are nice looking Africans from Cape Town to Cairo, take your ignorance somewhere, YOU, YOU [expletive].
  • king hassan
    king hassan south side somewhereMembers Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    s0j0urner wrote: »
    ^^ this 🤬 ignorant [expletive].
    You do realise that there are light skinned Africans, white Africans & beuatiful black Africans?
    Charlize Theron
    Thandiwe Newton
    Rosalla Miller
    Boris Kodjoe
    Mrs. Heinz-Kerry
    I can go on and on, but your ignorance is mind boggling - as such I will not waste my time on people of your kith.
    There are nice looking Africans from Cape Town to Cairo, take your ignorance somewhere, YOU, YOU [expletive].

    Those are white or bi-racial people you talking about
  • KinkyCurls
    KinkyCurls Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    ether-i-am wrote: »
    We as black people have created our own beauty. You see it everyday in king magazines, videos, porn, smooth or even in the illpics forum.
    You want everyone to accept YOUR version of black beauty.

    King magazine is filled with light skin hispanics arabs and whites, black women with green contacts and lightened skin, wth blonde weave and long weave. get out.
    french playboy has more afros and african women than king magazine.....
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven I don't knowMembers Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    KinkyCurls wrote: »
    King magazine is filled with light skin hispanics arabs and whites, black women with green contacts and lightened skin, wth blonde weave and long weave. get out.
    french playboy has more afros and african women than king magazine.....

    You are a hypocrite 🤬 and I HATE hypocrites.You are no better than the people you attack.Dark sin and afrocentricity does not define black people and is NOT the standard for beauty.You talk down on whites and lights and then complain about the degradation of dark skin.You are NOT even dark skinned 🤬 and you seem to suffer from an identity crisis of what it means to be black.Black is what you make it.Who are you to say that a blonde weave is not attractive or is not a standard of beauty? You nappy headed baboon face looking self.
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Toyota/Lexus Enthusiast Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Why you 🤬 givin' this troll the time of day?
  • Kushington
    Kushington Members Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    KinkyCurls wrote: »



    Gloom & doom. There are many more. She even showed me a casting that asked for "blue black skinny ghetto female hood""


    I'm all for the artist trying to convey their personal image...but NO roles for black women? really? only if you get 🤬 /killed/are ghetto?"
    KinkyCurls wrote: »

    thats why us black fols should be thanking tyler perry instead of bashing him to pieces. Hes the only one trying to benefit us black women

    The blue black skinny ghetto female hood stay losing

    if tyler perry uses stereotypes its all good? Oh okay, you dont mind being stereotyped as long as its a 🤬 black guy doing it
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Loading up my Grey Matter Glock Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2011
    Kushington wrote: »
    The blue black skinny ghetto female hood stay losing

    if tyler perry uses stereotypes its all good? Oh okay, you dont mind being stereotyped as long as its a 🤬 black guy doing it


    They not hearing you, son. Lol. Just leave it alone. That's a whole other thread.