What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

The Lost Negro

Hyde ParkeHyde Parke Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in R & R (Religion and Race)
The roots of this thread stem from CMR'S The Hispanic Purchasing Power thread. There was a poster advising , and I quote

Originally Posted by AntonLATroy
If black people shared hispanic ideals and values in regards to family and community we would be much better off...

To which I replied, we as in the "black community" would be better off if we stuck to our own values and principles. and the question arose to that response "and that would be?"

A fair question, and a very powerful indicator of the thought process of a good number(from my experiences), of black people in general. Why is that?

If your parents, and grandparents, were black and born in America, there is a good chance, your ancestors are descendants of slaves. There is an even greater chance that your parents, grand, and greatgrandparents were not taught of their history, and if they were, what they did learn anything, it was mainly negative. The sad truth, is that the American Negro was never taught to be a leader, only taught to do anything other than what he is told. Our primary basis for education is to go to school to learn what others have done, then go out and imitate them. There is nothing wrong with educating oneself, the problem comes when there is no advancement. Not speaking against the physical attribute of advancement, speaking moreso on the spiritual. We dont even posses our own religion, only that which was given/forced upon us. So to see a suggestion that we should follow another's culture and then have some agree, well, i dont know, thats a problem. A big problem.

SO WHO ARE WE?

It would be nice to get as many perspectives as possible on this, to get a better understanding. I can no more answer this completely, than the next man, but maybe if we all looked at this together, some light may be shed upon it and we can learn something.

Replies

  • ChikeChike Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    People need to learn how to lead themselves as individuals. There is no black, there is no white, there is no nothing. There is you, there is I, and there is everyone else. We will get no where, whether we stick with Black, or Hispanic or White... as long as the current system of class and division is in effect, there will always be a certain group of people in the pits. Those in power, currently people with pale skin, have the power to remain where they are as long as this system remains. We can try to get together all day and all night, but believe you me, those devils will infiltrate and divide us every single time.
  • musicology1985musicology1985 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    I agree with the premise of this thread. we have been trained to be followers. and even more damaging than that is our propensity for acceptence, meaning we accept everybody and want everybody to accept us. thats a guaranteed failing strategy because whenever tough decisions need to be made, people put their own first while we put the dollar first. which is not bad, but is destructive with no infrastructure.

    ethnic wise, as far as who we are, that foundation has already been laid. we are descendants of west Africans, native Amexems and Europeans. it usually averages out 80%, 10%, 5% & 5%. otherwise known as black, white, Native & East Asian. nevertheless, some have more admixture than others and some have none at all. the trick to this is, how do u maximize who u are ethnically in a way that benifits u? what industry fits your skillset and what your kind likes to do? and finally, how do u get political & economic support for it?

    our economic backbone is dominated by minimum wage workers, tradesmen, college graduates, religous institutions & entreprenuers. these people are affiliated through societies (greek and mason), religous denomination, region & political party.

    spiritually, we are mainly stone cold Abrahamics. Protestants (WHICH OF COURSE INCLUDES BAPTISTS, ETC.), Catholics, Muslims, NOI & MST. thats mainly what black America consists of. the Haitian Pop is growing everday so Vodoun can be considered, but not on the scale as the others.

    furthermore, there is close to 40 million people classified as African American. thats alot of folks. so, what do we spend our money on? rent, mortgage, utilities, phones, food, transportation, anemities & of course, hygeine. so there u go, those are the businesses we need to be foucused on dominating in. real estate, home remodel and repair, banking, credit unions, telecommunications, general finance, electric/gas, farming, automotive, clothing, healthcare & sanitation.

    we already heavy into religion, education & politics. we just have to diversify more & make religion, education & politics work for us (on a ground level, not just in capitol hill.) same thing with the money, it's coming in, but too much of it is also going out because we don't own much other than the church.
  • musicology1985musicology1985 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Chike wrote: »
    People need to learn how to lead themselves as individuals. There is no black, there is no white, there is no nothing. There is you, there is I, and there is everyone else. We will get no where, whether we stick with Black, or Hispanic or White... as long as the current system of class and division is in effect, there will always be a certain group of people in the pits. Those in power, currently people with pale skin, have the power to remain where they are as long as this system remains. We can try to get together all day and all night, but believe you me, those devils will infiltrate and divide us every single time.

    black people are always bombarded with "we all the same rhetoric." black people need time to focus on black people. East Indians, Chinese & Mexicans do it. why can't we?
  • Hyde ParkeHyde Parke Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    I agree with the premise of this thread. we have been trained to be followers. and even more damaging than that is our propensity for acceptence, meaning we accept everybody and want everybody to accept us. thats a guaranteed failing strategy because whenever tough decisions need to be made, people put their own first while we put the dollar first. which is not bad, but is destructive with no infrastructure.

    ethnic wise, as far as who we are, that foundation has already been laid. we are descendants of west Africans, native Amexems and Europeans. it usually averages out 80%, 10%, 5% & 5%. otherwise known as black, white, Native & East Asian. nevertheless, some have more admixture than others and some have none at all. the trick to this is, how do u maximize who u are ethnically in a way that benifits u? what industry fits your skillset and what your kind likes to do? and finally, how do u get political & economic support for it?

    our economic backbone is dominated by minimum wage workers, tradesmen, college graduates, religous institutions & entreprenuers. these people are affiliated through societies (greek and mason), religous denomination, region & political party.

    spiritually, we are mainly stone cold Abrahamics. Protestants (WHICH OF COURSE INCLUDES BAPTISTS, ETC.), Catholics, Muslims, NOI & MST. thats mainly what black America consists of. the Haitian Pop is growing everday so Vodoun can be considered, but not on the scale as the others.

    furthermore, there is close to 40 million people classified as African American. thats alot of folks. so, what do we spend our money on? rent, mortgage, utilities, phones, food, transportation, anemities & of course, hygeine. so there u go, those are the businesses we need to be foucused on dominating in. real estate, home remodel and repair, banking, credit unions, telecommunications, general finance, electric/gas, farming, automotive, clothing, healthcare & sanitation.

    we already heavy into religion, education & politics. we just have to diversify more & make religion, education & politics work for us (on a ground level, not just in capitol hill.) same thing with the money, it's coming in, but too much of it is also going out because we don't own much other than the church.

    your whole post was on point. well stated. Especially emphasis on the business aspect.
  • Hyde ParkeHyde Parke Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    I recently had a dna test done, I think its probably beneficial for all to have one done, who are not sure about their background or origins. Here are a fre excerpts for anyone who may be interested in what they look like. Its very eye opening ....

    Historical documents show that from the 17th to the 19th centuries slave traders moved about 13 million native Africans from regions stretching along the northwestern Atlantic coast and continuing to Angola and Mozambique. The captured people were transported to the Americas. Many individuals in the Americas discover they are Predecessors and were affected by the Atlantic Slave Trade.

    Geneticists believe that all non-African haplogroups alive today descended from Originators who left Africa tens of thousands of years ago.


    You belong to the Predecessors, haplogroup L, which likely emerged over 150,000 years ago. It's believed that the Predecessors' ancestral homeland was in west Africa, although there's evidence that the Predecessors migrated to essentially all points on the African continent. Predecessors can be found in present-day Cameroon, Mozambique, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Nigeria, Guinea, Morocco, the Canary Islands, Chad, Niger, Sudan, Angola, Mali and many other African countries as well as the Arabian Peninsula.
    Another group with high populations of Elders is known as the Khoikhoi. Your ancient ancestors may have been part of this group, which adopted pastoral agriculture and the herding of cattle.

    The Teaching Farmers The Teaching Farmers, haplogroup L1, can be found at notable rates in present-day Nigeria, Guinea, Morocco, the Canary Islands, Ethiopia, Sudan, Cameroon, Angola, Mozambique and Mali.
  • Hyde ParkeHyde Parke Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Chike wrote: »
    People need to learn how to lead themselves as individuals. There is no black, there is no white, there is no nothing. There is you, there is I, and there is everyone else. We will get no where, whether we stick with Black, or Hispanic or White... as long as the current system of class and division is in effect, there will always be a certain group of people in the pits. Those in power, currently people with pale skin, have the power to remain where they are as long as this system remains. We can try to get together all day and all night, but believe you me, those devils will infiltrate and divide us every single time.

    This is mainly what is wrong with us now. We have been mis guided and mislead to believe that we have no self worth, and its even more depressing that there are many who if not share this point of view, share a similar one in respect to downplaying the importance of the legacy of our true roots and African History. We need to reflect on what we have been taught, and why we have been taught the way we have.

    We have been taught to be servants, not leaders, the cycle will continue until we stop looking at education as a means to our ends, and look at it and see how we have been used in the process as a means to others ends.
  • Hyde ParkeHyde Parke Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    btw, dont mistake my words as being preachy. This is a subject i want to learn as much as possible on. So, please drop your perspective, no matter what it may be.
  • musicology1985musicology1985 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    I forgot to add that the haircare industry is the biggest part of the black American economy, only rivaled by the church. one thing people have to remember is that u may have trouble with most, but whoever u can get to work with u building your business that is reputable & loyal? strengthen those ties. build a code of ethics with that person or those people & don't pay attention to what people think if it goes against your plan. continue to work your plan.
  • musicology1985musicology1985 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    I recently had a dna test done, I think its probably beneficial for all to have one done, who are not sure about their background or origins. Here are a fre excerpts for anyone who may be interested in what they look like. Its very eye opening ....

    Historical documents show that from the 17th to the 19th centuries slave traders moved about 13 million native Africans from regions stretching along the northwestern Atlantic coast and continuing to Angola and Mozambique. The captured people were transported to the Americas. Many individuals in the Americas discover they are Predecessors and were affected by the Atlantic Slave Trade.

    Geneticists believe that all non-African haplogroups alive today descended from Originators who left Africa tens of thousands of years ago.


    You belong to the Predecessors, haplogroup L, which likely emerged over 150,000 years ago. It's believed that the Predecessors' ancestral homeland was in west Africa, although there's evidence that the Predecessors migrated to essentially all points on the African continent. Predecessors can be found in present-day Cameroon, Mozambique, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Nigeria, Guinea, Morocco, the Canary Islands, Chad, Niger, Sudan, Angola, Mali and many other African countries as well as the Arabian Peninsula.
    Another group with high populations of Elders is known as the Khoikhoi. Your ancient ancestors may have been part of this group, which adopted pastoral agriculture and the herding of cattle.

    The Teaching Farmers The Teaching Farmers, haplogroup L1, can be found at notable rates in present-day Nigeria, Guinea, Morocco, the Canary Islands, Ethiopia, Sudan, Cameroon, Angola, Mozambique and Mali.

    great post man, thats like the oldest haplogroup. I plan on getting mine done soon.
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denPosts: 31,918 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    black people also quick to feel guilty......

    one reason we are not united is because we are always made to feel like we should be part of america and help all and not just black people.
    last i checked we are not treated as equals in banks for loans and mortgages...yet we should treat everyone like an equal.
    last i checked chinatown is prosperous, so is little italy and the suburbs....yet we have our own neighborhoods and they are called ghettoes
    and every other group is making profit there. everyone has there own objective and so should black people without feeling guilty or scaring white people.
    oh and also...the reason hispanics and latinos are allowed to grow ....is to overwhelm and evenually take over and take out the black people..and guess what...they can do it,
    look at whats happening in cali... ethnic cleansing in certain areas and what are the blacks doing? i would like to know..hell what are the police doing. we gotta get our shit together...
    we have everyone gunning for us along with infighting.......we are endangered and our numbers are dropping from death, incarceration and low reproduction.

    the whites used us to build the economy for this country, the irish was cool until they got a foothold and some money, the natives was cool until the casinoes came, the
    jews used to be able to sympathize until they got they shit going asians was cool until they got they shit going.....we get something going like black wall street and got that
    shit burned down and never tried again...just on to help someone else make money..are you tired of getting used yet.

    we need answers and action

    what are you doing to help ?
    you have the dude who is naturally thorough -Alpha
    you have the dude that wants to be thorough so he pretend to be Alpha -Beta
    then you have the nigga who wants to hang with the first two to be seen and grab any dropped crumbs.- Omega

    I am still struggling between blocks to get from the have nots to the have yachts and I won't be stopped.



    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=HhTZZdVbjio


  • Hyde ParkeHyde Parke Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    great post man, thats like the oldest haplogroup. I plan on getting mine done soon.


    Im telling you, thats just the tip of the iceberg man. Ive been finding out so much about my ancestors lately, its always interested me, because my mother's side of the family is mixed. Something else Im slowly learning is how much our elders dont like to talk about the past, I can understand that, but its such a major setback for us for obvious reasons. I dont know about anyone else, but I cant be complete without knowing my roots.
  • Hyde ParkeHyde Parke Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    pralims wrote: »
    black people also quick to feel guilty......

    one reason we are not united is because we are always made to feel like we should be part of america and help all and not just black people.
    last i checked we are not treated as equals in banks for loans and mortgages...yet we should treat everyone like an equal.
    last i checked chinatown is prosperous, so is little italy and the suburbs....yet we have our own neighborhoods and they are called ghettoes
    and every other group is making profit there. everyone has there own objective and so should black people without feeling guilty or scaring white people.
    oh and also...the reason hispanics and latinos are allowed to grow ....is to overwhelm and evenually take over and take out the black people..and guess what...they can do it,
    look at whats happening in cali... ethnic cleansing in certain areas and what are the blacks doing? i would like to know..hell what are the police doing. we gotta get our shit together...
    we have everyone gunning for us along with infighting.......we are endangered and our numbers are dropping from death, incarceration and low reproduction.

    the whites used us to build the economy for this country, the irish was cool until they got a foothold and some money, the natives was cool until the casinoes came, the
    jews used to be able to sympathize until they got they shit going asians was cool until they got they shit going.....we get something going like black wall street and got that
    shit burned down and never tried again...just on to help someone else make money..are you tired of getting used yet.

    we need answers and action

    what are you doing to help ?

    That post is so right on and so cold. Extreme on point. We fought for rights, and thats to be respected,
    but at the same time, we never had a strong foundation of self to bring about a real social shift in the
    paradigm. The "so called" equalness translated to we dont want to be treated just as you, but more
    like how can we be just like you.

    Its true, every other culture has its own identity and solid foundation to draw from and go out and make
    a decent contribution to society but us. The education of our history includes many negative depictions,
    overall as a whole with only postive mentions of a few individuals here or there, that were only hyped
    up or oversaturated, whereas there are many, many, many contributions made by our people from past day
    and present that go unnoticed, because they dont fit into the agenda that is to be impressed upon the
    pyshce of how we should be thought of.

    I think the only way for us to build, is to go back to from whence we came, build that solid foundation
    and go forward from there.
  • musicology1985musicology1985 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    Im telling you, thats just the tip of the iceberg man. Ive been finding out so much about my ancestors lately, its always interested me, because my mother's side of the family is mixed. Something else Im slowly learning is how much our elders dont like to talk about the past, I can understand that, but its such a major setback for us for obvious reasons. I dont know about anyone else, but I cant be complete without knowing my roots.

    thats why other cultures make it a requirement that u "pass the baton." our elders never did that.
Sign In or Register to comment.