What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Do You Think Dave Chappelle Made A Right Choice To Leave?

chickenman11
chickenman11 Members Posts: 151
edited August 2011 in Lights, Camera, Action!
I know this is very old news but in the last year or so dave chappelle has been doing a few stand up acts at some
places. I know he left everything because he probably couldn't handle the stress or the money was just to much but
do you think he should of left?
«1

Comments

  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Tough to call. I say only the stress of living up to the contract he had played a part in him going mad but I also say that Comedy Central and White People telling him how to do his show played a part in it as well!!
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    icks86 wrote: »
    Tough to call. I say only the stress of living up to the contract he had played a part in him going mad but I also say that Comedy Central and White People telling him how to do his show played a part in it as well!!

    I would have left because of that.....if that's his reason, then he made the right choice.....
  • traestar
    traestar Atlantic City, NJMembers Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Yes...you do how you feel, if the people like what you are about, they will follow you.

    CC seen he was getting that influence from the masses and wanted to put their hand in the bag
    so they said "we'll give you anything you want if you......" and Dave wasn't feeling that and felt
    he'd lose his integrity so he said no. From the events during that decision, they probably didn't
    take no for an answer so thats why he exited stage right to Africa!

    I mean look at when he came back, he basically dropped knowledge to people what happened, he been through
    that control 🤬 before and didn't want to go through that again.
  • m. inferno
    m. inferno Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    the man stands his ground...gotta give him nuff respect for that
    he said he would have come back if they didnt air the "lost episodes" but they went ahead and did it anyways.....
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Bruh. TexasMembers Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    He walked out on millions of dollars because he didn't want people telling him how to do his show.
    Respect. He obviously made the right decision when you think about it.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    He walked out on millions of dollars because he didn't want people telling him how to do his show.
    Respect. He obviously made the right decision when you think about it.

    yall on here talkin bout comedy central tried to tell him how to do the show....

    its been a while. but the last i remeber, he said ppl in the studio were laughin when he was doin the pixel skit. and he felt like he was bein "laughed at & not laughed with." plus said the show was creating stero types not pointing them out. so he bounced
  • kevmic
    kevmic Members Posts: 1,888 ✭✭
    edited August 2011
    I know this is very old news but in the last year or so dave chappelle has been doing a few stand up acts at some
    places. I know he left everything because he probably couldn't handle the stress or the money was just to much but
    do you think he should of left?

    He left because he felt it was the right thing to do, and I can't knock him for that. Besides he still walked away rich a 🤬 . With his popularity, any network would take him if he ever decided to do another show. Also I read he's planning to do another show through a service like Hulu or Netflix, which is actually if he did.

    Sometimes it ain't all about a paycheck, and he was smart enough to see that before he got too wrapped up in the spot light.
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    He made the right choice for himself at the time. But there probably won't be another sketch comedy show that good for the ATLEAST the next ten years, word to Affion Crockett's wack attempts at comedy
  • ICame4Pussy
    ICame4Pussy Members Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    I respect it BUT he left 50 Mil on the table
  • Trollio
    Trollio Trollololololololololol Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    i took that 50 mil
  • mikelewis
    mikelewis Members Posts: 603 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't he say the same thing about how the role of Bubba in Forrest Gump being wrong and demeaning to black people, that's why he chose not to do it and the fact he thought the movie was going to be dumb??

    The thing is, to leave millions of dollars and a successful show because he thought his show was wrongfully influencing blacks has earned my respect. However, has it hurt his career?? Absolutely.

    It will all come out one day whether his pride stays as strong as it is now, or it turns to regret like it did with Forrest Gump.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker PISTOL GRIP PUMP IN MY LAP AT ALL TIMES Working On My LowriderMembers, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited August 2011
    whatever his decision was to leave, it seemed to work out for him. He has yet to complain (at least publicly).


    But 🤬 , only 2 seasons, his show is still considered one of the greatest of all time. He the Biggie of the comedy world
  • Smo-King Locs
    Smo-King Locs Banned Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    I respect it BUT he left 50 Mil on the table

    🤬 money 🤬 , only low self esteem ass 🤬 would say some 🤬 like that...
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth stew Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    traestar wrote: »
    Yes...you do how you feel, if the people like what you are about, they will follow you.

    CC seen he was getting that influence from the masses and wanted to put their hand in the bag
    so they said "we'll give you anything you want if you......" and Dave wasn't feeling that and felt
    he'd lose his integrity so he said no. From the events during that decision, they probably didn't
    take no for an answer so thats why he exited stage right to Africa!

    I mean look at when he came back, he basically dropped knowledge to people what happened, he been through
    that control 🤬 before and didn't want to go through that again.

    .....................................
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Mr. Fifth Letter Your ConscienceMembers Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    No. He essentially got millions of dollars to be a boss, decided he didn't like being laughed at or responsibility, and ran like a little 🤬 . Brother is one of my favorite comedians, but he straight pussied out.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Trollololololololololol Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    ^^ 🤬 u aint funny 🤬
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Mr. Fifth Letter Your ConscienceMembers Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    The Hacker wrote: »
    ^^ 🤬 u aint funny 🤬

    What? 🤬 10 char.
  • ysl313
    ysl313 Members Posts: 9,866 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    nigas saying he left 50 mill, you forget how much he made all together with those dvds not to mention the money he gets for having his show syndicated
    dude will be rich forever

    he got his self respect and his money and a show that never had a wack season, thus a instant classic.
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    people keep bringing up 50 million and not realizing none of that money is fully guaranteed

    you still loopholes, demands, quotas etc. etc.......these entertainment contracts are no joke

    i respect dave for maintaining his dignity....i just hope he doesn't ride out the rest of his career without releasing no major material
  • ICame4Pussy
    ICame4Pussy Members Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    🤬 money 🤬 , only low self esteem ass 🤬 would say some 🤬 like that...

    Only a 🤬 Broke Fool would say some 🤬 like that
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! PART OF THE CONSPIRACY Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Have you read any of Charlie Murphy's interviews in the past 5 years? He pretty much put it out there that Dave had some personal/mental/??? issues and just used the pro-black 🤬 as a cover excuse.

    I mean come on, Dave said he was shaken by a letter he received from a black lady claiming the classic Clayton Bixby skit "set black people back 100 years" FOH. Does anyone here honestly believe that Richard Pryor or Redd Foxx or Chris Rock or old school Eddie Murphy WOULDN'T tell that 🤬 to go 🤬 herself? Dude could handle a lil fame, but not MASSIVE fame. I'm honestly glad he checked out when he did, cuz I feel like he might not be alive today if he had tried to keep grindin. He's got more in common with Kurt Cobain than John Amos IMHO.
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    Have you read any of Charlie Murphy's interviews in the past 5 years? He pretty much put it out there that Dave had some personal/mental/??? issues and just used the pro-black 🤬 as a cover excuse.

    I mean come on, Dave said he was shaken by a letter he received from a black lady claiming the classic Clayton Bixby skit "set black people back 100 years" FOH. Does anyone here honestly believe that Richard Pryor or Redd Foxx or Chris Rock or old school Eddie Murphy WOULDN'T tell that 🤬 to go 🤬 herself? Dude could handle a lil fame, but not MASSIVE fame. I'm honestly glad he checked out when he did, cuz I feel like he might not be alive today if he had tried to keep grindin. He's got more in common with Kurt Cobain than John Amos IMHO.

    damn i never heard of that
  • A.J. Trillzynski
    A.J. Trillzynski the IC's Patrick BatemanMembers Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    no i don't respect him for running away from millions of dollars. if he really gave 2 🤬 he'd put up with another few seasons and use the millions to put about 400 poor American kids through college or feed about 10 million starving African kids that are dead right now.
  • not this again!
    not this again! the dude playing the dude, disguised as another dude Members Posts: 2,059 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    He walked out on millions of dollars because he didn't want people telling him how to do his show.
    Respect. He obviously made the right decision when you think about it.

    I agree.

    The man was getting millions of dollars thrown at him, and he walked away because he felt the situation wasn't right. It takes a lot to stand up for your integrity, especially when you consider you have so many people out here who'd sell out for a lot less than what Dave was looking at.

    I can't help but respect someone who does that. It's not always about money.
  • traestar
    traestar Atlantic City, NJMembers Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2011
    reaperbong wrote: »
    no i don't respect him for running away from millions of dollars. if he really gave 2 🤬 he'd put up with another few seasons and use the millions to put about 400 poor American kids through college or feed about 10 million starving African kids that are dead right now.

    He still gets money from his DVD sales I believe, so he's still making some sort of money.

    And it's better to walk away right now when you feel its right then making two-three more seasons and it starts to get old! And thats on top of the station's control of his material.

    So with 50 Million dollars, he would've been doing skits that he didn't like and doesn't put in his all for and people start to say "it wasn't as good as the other seasons" and it may extremely get cancelled (not to say it would)