What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

'Shock' atheists

Huruma
Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
edited October 2011 in R & R (Religion and Race)
I hope that I've never come across as one, I might have, but I don't understand the point in criticizing religion just to 'shock' people (ie. wearing a t-shirt that says something like "I'm an atheist, I don't believe in the tooth fairy, santa clause, elves etc. either"). Do people get some kind of 'power' from needlessly offending others? It's so obvious that some atheists love pushing people's buttons, they don't genuinely care about the harm that organized religion causes, they attack the most harmless aspects of religion under the guise of ' educating' people knowing, good and well, that in antagonizing people, they make them more defensive and lest receptive to their argument. Like I said, there are valid, moral reasons to criticize organized religion but 'anti-theists' should concentrate more on promoting separation of church and state and encouraging people to separate moral decision making from unsubstantiated religious beliefs than discouraging people from believing in some kind of benevolent, supernatural deity and promoting atheism per se. I'm writing this quickly so I wont go into detail (and I'm probably not wording my argument the way that I want to) but I've come to think that atheists really have nothing in common besides not believing in the same thing, I don't even think of myself as an 'atheist' anymore.
«1345

Comments

  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    the real jews of the bible are the negroes that were sold into slavery...

    and soon the whole entire world will know the truth.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    While I do find theism amusing and I like disproving/refuting arguments/claims based in religious/theistic mythology, I don't find any value in "shocking" theists. I also like to overuse forward slashes, apparently.

    Some atheists just don't really care about offending others, so they may be labeled as "shock atheists".

    By "some atheists", I mean "fiat_money".
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    “Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions.”
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I vehemently no-sign this thread, btw
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    “Ridicule is the only weapon which can be used against unintelligible propositions.”

    Diplomacy is almost always more effective in persuading people to consider your point of view so anti-theists who are disrespectful, thoughtless or single-minded should give up the pretense of being morally concerned with the harm that organized religion causes. If they don't get off on 'shocking' people, they're venting, but either way, they're not accomplishing anything (meaningful).

    Like I said, maybe I do it myself but it's not effective.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    why let such trivial things affect you? people are entitled to their opinions/beliefs, as long as you kno who you are, nothing else matters.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Huruma wrote: »
    Diplomacy is almost always more effective in persuading people to consider your point of view

    Care to back this up with some evidence?
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    Care to back this up with some evidence?

    Isn't it obvious that when a person is forced to defend their beliefs, views, attitudes etc. they're less likely to reexamine their beliefs, views, attitudes etc. impartially? People rarely adopt positions that they associate with having been humiliated.

    Maybe some research can support my argument, I don't know, but not tonight.
  • PPLSIntiative
    PPLSIntiative Members Posts: 222
    edited September 2011
    Human Beings are composed of three parts, body soul and spirit this includes those who would deny the existence of the latter two. In my opinion, I believe shock atheists as you call them offend people purposefully because deep down their spiritual nature is restless. Man literally cannot live by the mere material things of the world, they don't sustain him because his soul still thirsts after things.

    You see it everyday in the world whether from the rich on down to the lowest of low, people who live solely for the material things have a miserable existence. They are never satisfied, content with what they have even. This is why you see a lot of drug abuse, ridiculous purchases made for the sake of it, and brutal activities. No matter what a man does he cannot quiet his soul even if he denies his existence.

    This is why I believe that shock atheists do the things they do. Their spirit is so disquieted, especially in the presence of other spiritual people, no matter what religion, but especially Christians. It is an uncomfortable feeling so in order to alleviate it they must hush the spirituality of others, and take joy in causing doubt where they can.

    Offending people is akin to raising a brick wall. They equate atheism to intelligence and spirituality to ignorance. If you can't see it, touch, weigh, measure, hear then it can't possibly exist. Even though through physics we learn that there is more that exists than what a man can measure. However, if you look throughout history of man, many intelligent people were also very spiritual. I won't say Christian , but they acknowledged their spiritual man.

    If an atheist were truly what they believe, it wouldn't matter if someone was Christian, buddhist, muslim, or whatever because it doesn't matter. You can rest comfortably in your position because you know at the end of it all it means nothing, everyone fades to black. They can't though because as ludicrous and un-quantifiable and undefinable as it is, the spiritual man still exists and that uncomfortable feeling is because that spirit knows at the end of the mortal life it must return to 🤬 and give an account.

    Shock atheist is basically mr grinch, who wants to squelch everyone's spirituality because they cannot face their's. My apologies for the long post, I meant to keep it quick with a simple analogy.
  • toomy
    toomy Members Posts: 369
    edited September 2011
    Atheists believe that the Universe originated form a form of matter that they call nothingness. I think they are the ones that believe in fairytales.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    quit tryin to define people,that why the world 🤬 up now
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect I will go where there's no path and leave behind a trail. TampaMembers Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Huruma wrote: »
    I hope that I've never come across as one, I might have, but I don't understand the point in criticizing religion just to 'shock' people (ie. wearing a t-shirt that says something like "I'm an atheist, I don't believe in the tooth fairy, santa clause, elves etc. either"). Do people get some kind of 'power' from needlessly offending others? It's so obvious that some atheists love pushing people's buttons, they don't genuinely care about the harm that organized religion causes, they attack the most harmless aspects of religion under the guise of ' educating' people knowing, good and well, that in antagonizing people, they make them more defensive and lest receptive to their argument. Like I said, there are valid, moral reasons to criticize organized religion but 'anti-theists' should concentrate more on promoting separation of church and state and encouraging people to separate moral decision making from unsubstantiated religious beliefs than discouraging people from believing in some kind of benevolent, supernatural deity and promoting atheism per se. I'm writing this quickly so I wont go into detail (and I'm probably not wording my argument the way that I want to) but I've come to think that atheists really have nothing in common besides not believing in the same thing, I don't even think of myself as an 'atheist' anymore.
    Im taking a class at my college about religion right now and the loudest most outspoken dude in my class is an atheist. The first day the professor asked us what we thought about religion this cat started popping off with stuff like whats bold in your first post. I notice that a lot of atheist are more concerned about telling people there isn't a 🤬 , rather than explaining why religion causes so many problem.
  • unspoken_respect
    unspoken_respect I will go where there's no path and leave behind a trail. TampaMembers Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    toomy wrote: »
    Atheists believe that the Universe originated form a form of matter that they call nothingness. I think they are the ones that believe in fairytales.

    Or star stuff
  • One Spliff
    One Spliff Members Posts: 5,354 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    nothing but coonery in this thread.

    fools.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    toomy wrote: »
    Atheists believe that the Universe originated form a form of matter that they call nothingness...
    ^^^This statement is false.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Huruma wrote: »
    Isn't it obvious that when a person is forced to defend their beliefs, views, attitudes etc. they're less likely to reexamine their beliefs, views, attitudes etc. impartially? People rarely adopt positions that they associate with having been humiliated.

    I don't know, maybe having people laugh at you because you adhere to superstition that you deep down inside know is stupid makes you second guess your ardent support for that position.
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    toomy wrote: »
    Atheists believe that the Universe originated form a form of matter that they call nothingness. I think they are the ones that believe in fairytales.

    lmao, foh with that third grade 🤬 b
  • Jonas.dini
    Jonas.dini Confirm Email Posts: 2,507 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Im taking a class at my college about religion right now and the loudest most outspoken dude in my class is an atheist. The first day the professor asked us what we thought about religion this cat started popping off with stuff like whats bold in your first post. I notice that a lot of atheist are more concerned about telling people there isn't a 🤬 , rather than explaining why religion causes so many problem.

    Not like expansionists religious groups that literally practiced conversion at gunpoint
  • @My_nameaintearl
    @My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Jonas.dini wrote: »
    Not like expansionists religious groups that literally practiced conversion at gunpoint

    why cant you just let those murderers believe what they believe, maaaaan?
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Huruma wrote: »
    I hope that I've never come across as one, I might have, but I don't understand the point in criticizing religion just to 'shock' people (ie. wearing a t-shirt that says something like "I'm an atheist, I don't believe in the tooth fairy, santa clause, elves etc. either"). Do people get some kind of 'power' from needlessly offending others? It's so obvious that some atheists love pushing people's buttons, they don't genuinely care about the harm that organized religion causes, they attack the most harmless aspects of religion under the guise of ' educating' people knowing, good and well, that in antagonizing people, they make them more defensive and lest receptive to their argument. Like I said, there are valid, moral reasons to criticize organized religion but 'anti-theists' should concentrate more on promoting separation of church and state and encouraging people to separate moral decision making from unsubstantiated religious beliefs than discouraging people from believing in some kind of benevolent, supernatural deity and promoting atheism per se. I'm writing this quickly so I wont go into detail (and I'm probably not wording my argument the way that I want to) but I've come to think that atheists really have nothing in common besides not believing in the same thing, I don't even think of myself as an 'atheist' anymore.

    I could be wrong, but I don't think the "shockness" has anything to do with what atheism is. It has more to do with the person subscribing to it. There are people who look to make people mad regardless of what it is...or for that matter make people happy. But, we shouldn't associate atheism...or religion for that matter...with what goes on in the hearts and minds of man.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Chief Petty Officer of the Ill Community Naval Command HOOYAHMembers Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I notice that a lot of atheist are more concerned about telling people there isn't a 🤬 , rather than explaining why religion causes so many problem.

    That's because they don't give a damn about the societal effects of religion. Their shock tactics are their way of getting revenge for being raised as Christians.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight The Clairvoyant One.... Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Human Beings are composed of three parts, body soul and spirit this includes those who would deny the existence of the latter two. In my opinion, I believe shock atheists as you call them offend people purposefully because deep down their spiritual nature is restless. Man literally cannot live by the mere material things of the world, they don't sustain him because his soul still thirsts after things.

    You see it everyday in the world whether from the rich on down to the lowest of low, people who live solely for the material things have a miserable existence. They are never satisfied, content with what they have even. This is why you see a lot of drug abuse, ridiculous purchases made for the sake of it, and brutal activities. No matter what a man does he cannot quiet his soul even if he denies his existence.

    This is why I believe that shock atheists do the things they do. Their spirit is so disquieted, especially in the presence of other spiritual people, no matter what religion, but especially Christians. It is an uncomfortable feeling so in order to alleviate it they must hush the spirituality of others, and take joy in causing doubt where they can.

    Offending people is akin to raising a brick wall. They equate atheism to intelligence and spirituality to ignorance. If you can't see it, touch, weigh, measure, hear then it can't possibly exist. Even though through physics we learn that there is more that exists than what a man can measure. However, if you look throughout history of man, many intelligent people were also very spiritual. I won't say Christian , but they acknowledged their spiritual man.

    If an atheist were truly what they believe, it wouldn't matter if someone was Christian, buddhist, muslim, or whatever because it doesn't matter. You can rest comfortably in your position because you know at the end of it all it means nothing, everyone fades to black. They can't though because as ludicrous and un-quantifiable and undefinable as it is, the spiritual man still exists and that uncomfortable feeling is because that spirit knows at the end of the mortal life it must return to 🤬 and give an account.

    Shock atheist is basically mr grinch, who wants to squelch everyone's spirituality because they cannot face their's. My apologies for the long post, I meant to keep it quick with a simple analogy.

    Powerful post....especially the bold.

    Miserable 🤬 .
  • OneLiveNigga
    OneLiveNigga Members Posts: 10
    edited September 2011
    ey dont shock me ill hit em i the chest
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Bronx, NY birthplace of hip-hopMembers Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Hyde Parke wrote: »
    why let such trivial things affect you? people are entitled to their opinions/beliefs, as long as you kno who you are, nothing else matters.

    ...............I could care less what religion someone is, but once someone starts preaching some 🤬 in front of me I will make fun of them. Or debate them, depending on my mood. And I'm not atheist either.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    I don't think I would fit the description of a shock athiest. i try not to.