What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

If Aaliyah was still alive...

ryder225
ryder225 Banned Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭
edited August 2011 in R&B & Alternatives
Where do you think she would be career wise and would the industry be any different
«1345

Comments

  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    she'd probably be in lockup right now for whooping The Dream's ass after 🤬 up her song One In A Million
  • Elle_Music
    Elle_Music Members Posts: 926
    edited May 2010
    Hard to say... she didn't really blow up til after she passed....i think maybe she'd be doing more movies than music but eh idk
  • caddo man
    caddo man Failure is success in progress! Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    She would be where all of them go,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, in the back of the CD case. I beleive people like Tupac and Biggie would have play out too! It is ineveitable. They were to era specific. The changes they would have had to do would have killed their cred.
  • ryder225
    ryder225 Banned Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    blackrain wrote: »
    she'd probably be in lockup right now for whooping The Dream's ass after 🤬 up her song One In A Million

    chillout lol. but she probably the only one who could compete with beyonce and A.Keys
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    how would music be different? her stuff wasnt that powerful.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    ryder225 wrote: »
    chillout lol. but she probably the only one who could compete with beyonce and A.Keys

    Timbaland needs to smack The Dream with a hot dog for remaking that song...as a music fan Im offended at that 🤬 lol
  • Elle_Music
    Elle_Music Members Posts: 926
    edited May 2010
    ryder225 wrote: »
    chillout lol. but she probably the only one who could compete with beyonce and A.Keys

    doubt it

    10
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    I don't know, she wasn't the greatest singer at all. She would be Keri Hilson and Ciara status, not quite Beyonce or Alicia Keys status.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    She definitely would be where Beyonce is now.

    People tend to forget that Aaliyah was on the cusp of exploding big time, like literally, right as she died.

    She was pretty much robbed of becoming that mega-superstar.
  • ryder225
    ryder225 Banned Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    She definitely would be where Beyonce is now.

    People tend to forget that Aaliyah was on the cusp of exploding big time, like literally, right as she died.

    She was pretty much robbed of becoming that mega-superstar.

    Exactly
    ...
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    She definitely would be where Beyonce is now.

    People tend to forget that Aaliyah was on the cusp of exploding big time, like literally, right as she died.

    She was pretty much robbed of becoming that mega-superstar.


    She doesn't have the voice that Beyonce or Alicia Keys have to be at that level for one. What's this cusp that yall are talking about, Romeo must die and Queen of the damn that both flopped. Yall are giving her the benefit of the doubt and looking back with this revisionist point of view. Alot of stuff are different now than it was in 2001, Missy fell the 🤬 off and so did Timabaland,Ginuwine fell off, Static Major died too.It's the same 🤬 argument with Pac and Biggie, i'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt. There are alot of artist who were suppose to be the next big thing and failed to perform to the potential.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    She doesn't have the voice that Beyonce or Alicia Keys have to be at that level for one. What's this cusp that yall are talking about, Romeo must die and Queen of the damn that both flopped. Yall are giving her the benefit of the doubt and looking back with this revisionist point of view. Alot of stuff are different now than it was in 2001, Missy fell the 🤬 off and so did Timabaland,Ginuwine fell off, Static Major died too.It's the same 🤬 argument with Pac and Biggie, i'm not giving them the benefit of the doubt. There are alot of artist who were suppose to be the next big thing and failed to perform to the potential.

    Well, having the "greatest voice" doesn't always correlate to being mega successful. And vice versa. So that point is...insignificant.

    When I said "on the cusp of exploding", that means she was pretty much about to have the industry on lock.

    1) She had several movies in the works...Sparkle, and those Matrix movies. And given her rise to Hollywood fame, I think she would've had the part of Deena in Dreamgirls...simply because Aaliyah was the more cinematic actress, and that part just had her name written all over it.

    2) If you look at the direction her music career was going, you'll see that with each album she released, she got more renowned and more acclaimed. "Aaliyah" was no different...and it was, arguably, the hottest album released in '01.

    3) Aaliyah would've probably branched off from Timbaland and Missy, to give her sound more variety. So their falling off, musically, wouldn't have affected her too much.
  • Elle_Music
    Elle_Music Members Posts: 926
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Well, having the "greatest voice" doesn't always correlate to being mega successful. And vice versa. So that point is...insignificant.

    When I said "on the cusp of exploding", that means she was pretty much about to have the industry on lock.

    1) She had several movies in the works...Sparkle, and those Matrix movies. And given her rise to Hollywood fame, I think she would've had the part of Deena in Dreamgirls...simply because Aaliyah was the more cinematic actress, and that part just had her name written all over it.

    2) If you look at the direction her music career was going, you'll see that with each album she released, she got more renowned and more acclaimed. "Aaliyah" was no different...and it was, arguably, the hottest album released in '01.

    3) Aaliyah would've probably branched off from Timbaland and Missy, to give her sound more variety. So their falling off, musically, wouldn't have affected her too much.

    I really don't see Aaliyah being much bigger than she was...especially on the music tip...Movies maybe she would have done a little more. But megastardom is a huuugggeee stretch...No disrespect to her...She would have been about like monica and keyshia cole, off and on...
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Well, having the "greatest voice" doesn't always correlate to being mega successful. And vice versa. So that point is...insignificant.

    When I said "on the cusp of exploding", that means she was pretty much about to have the industry on lock.

    1) She had several movies in the works...Sparkle, and those Matrix movies. And given her rise to Hollywood fame, I think she would've had the part of Deena in Dreamgirls...simply because Aaliyah was the more cinematic actress, and that part just had her name written all over it.

    2) If you look at the direction her music career was going, you'll see that with each album she released, she got more renowned and more acclaimed. "Aaliyah" was no different...and it was, arguably, the hottest album released in '01.

    3) Aaliyah would've probably branched off from Timbaland and Missy, to give her sound more variety. So their falling off, musically, wouldn't have affected her too much.

    1. She doesn't have the voice to pull off that role in Dreamgirls for one, lets get that straight. That Matrix role was a small role, what did it really do for Jada Pinkett Smith's career. Nothing!

    2. Aaliyaahs career went wherever R Kelly and Timbaland went, when was the last time Timbaland made r and b music or even 🤬 with anyone who he started out with. Aaliyah was more a byproduct of a genius producer in Timbaland great songwriters in Missy and Static. I don't really see Aaliyah branching out and standing on her own.

    3. Branch out to whom or what, you really think she could of done it by herself. She always had genious beside her (Kellz or Timbaland).
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    1. She doesn't have the voice to pull off that role in Dreamgirls for one, lets get that straight. That Matrix role was a small role, what did it really do for Jada Pinkett Smith's career. Nothing!

    2. Aaliyaahs career went wherever R Kelly and Timbaland went, when was the last time Timbaland made r and b music or even 🤬 with anyone who he started out with. Aaliyah was more a byproduct of a genius producer in Timbaland great songwriters in Missy and Static. I don't really see Aaliyah branching out and standing on her own.

    3. Branch out to whom or what, you really think she could of done it by herself. She always had genious beside her (Kellz or Timbaland).

    lol.

    1. Did you see Dreamgirls? The part of Deena Jones didn't require a big-voiced singer. Notice I said "Deena"...not Effie.

    2. I still contend that Aaliyah would've been fine, with or without Timbaland. Because technically, she wasn't Timbaland's artist. In retrospect, it was Aaliyah who gave Timbaland (and Missy) credibility. So, where she went, they would've went. Not vice versa.

    3. Aaliyah was an artist. She would've been fine.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham M0D SQUAD™ Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Ehh..like others said, I think she'd be succesfully branching out to do other things like movies with her music being secondary. People act like she was selling millions and making chart-topping hit after hit. Real talk, her last album was kinda falling down the charts until the week after her death. She wouldn't be a threat to Beyonce or Alicia. =\
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    lol.

    1. Did you see Dreamgirls? The part of Deena Jones didn't require a big-voiced singer. Notice I said "Deena"...not Effie.

    2. I still contend that Aaliyah would've been fine, with or without Timbaland. Because technically, she wasn't Timbaland's artist. In retrospect, it was Aaliyah who gave Timbaland (and Missy) credibility. So, where she went, they would've went. Not vice versa.

    3. Aaliyah was an artist. She would've been fine.

    1. So you say Aaliyah could pull of a song like LISTEN? I don't think so
    2. Aaliyah did not give them credibility, Ginuwines album dropped before that he The Bachelor was worked on way before One in a Million. Timbo was doing lots of work before he met Aaliyah, he was doing alot of ghostproducing for Badboy like Kanye was for D Dot. I beg to differ, Timbo proved he could produce for other people outside of Aaliyah (Jay-z,Nas,Destinys Child,Mariah,Nelly fortado,etc), same thing for Missy. If anything Aaliyah would of followed him, how is Ginuwine doing today without Timbalands production. I rest my case!
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    1. So you say Aaliyah could pull of a song like LISTEN? I don't think so
    2. Aaliyah did not give them credibility, Ginuwines album dropped before that he The Bachelor was worked on way before One in a Million. Timbo was doing lots of work before he met Aaliyah, he was doing alot of ghostproducing for Badboy like Kanye was for D Dot. I beg to differ, Timbo proved he could produce for other people outside of Aaliyah (Jay-z,Nas,Destinys Child,Mariah,Nelly fortado,etc), same thing for Missy. If anything Aaliyah would of followed him, how is Ginuwine doing today without Timbalands production. I rest my case!

    1. I don't see why she couldn't have. It's not exactly a powerhouse vocal. Beyonce struggled to deliver it herself...but Aaliyah is/was clearly superior to Beyonce, in every way vocally.

    2. In any regard, it's Aaliyah and "One in a Million" that have been credited with giving Timbaland and Missy their breakthrough. The critics wouldn't lie...and neither would they.

    You seriously need to brush up on your entertainment readings.
  • marie addams
    marie addams Members Posts: 1,699 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    don't taze me but I honestly think she would have fallen off. musically at least. her album wasn't doing all that great before she passed even though "we need a resolution" was a good track.
    she wasn't exactly a style maven so idk if she would have gone off into designing like so many celebs try to do. She may have gotten a makup endorsement
    ehh
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    "Undoubtedly one of the most influential R&B albums of the '90s, One In A Million solidified Aaliyah and the Timbo family as undeniable hip-hop forces."
    http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/aaliyah-one-in-a-million/415

    "Following a successful transition to a more mature image, Aaliyah played a major role in popularizing the stuttering, futuristic production style that consumed hip-hop and urban soul in the late '90s. Her work with Timbaland, especially, was some of the most forward-looking R&B of its time, even while the competing neo-soul movement was gaining prominence."
    http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=11:fxfwxqe5ldde~T1

    "The musical chemistry of the resulting effort, One In A Million, was undeniable;...catapulting the careers of Missy and Timbaland, who wrote and produced much of the album."
    http://www.bookrags.com/news/in-memory-of-aaliyah-more-than-a-moc/

    Aaliyah's work with Timbaland >>> Ginuwine's work with Timbaland.

    Aaliyah gave them their breakthrough...so they would have followed her. As she became more renowned, they would have most likely followed suit.

    And they pretty much did. LoL
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Entertainment/Pop Culture/Media Analyst New York CityMembers Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    LOL @ "Aaliyah would of fell off". 1st and formost, Justin Timberlake would of had zero beats for his albums had Aaliyah lived cause they would of all went to her. 2nd she was really blowing up on the hollywood tip. "Romeo Must Die" didn't flop and did well for it's budget. "Queen of the Dammed" Flopped cause she didn't complete the film at all and it was a cut and paste job. Not saying it would of been a hit but who knows. LOL @ "She only had a small part in the Matrix". Are you kidding? Those sequels grossed over 1 billion dollars, that's exposer she didn't have. Her albums were getting better and better. She was killing it on soundtracks also, Aaliyah is the 1st artist in music history to hit #1 off airplay (Try again). She was about to be huge before her death. All her albums had gone double platinum. Brady and Monica fell off while Aaliyah was cointinuing to get hot. Her not having a powerful voice has nothing to do with it. Janet nor Madonna had powerful voices yet they have equal to or more successful careers than artist like Whitney and Mariah. Aaliyah was set it's sad her life was cut short, she would still be huge right now.
  • quietaskept
    quietaskept Members Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    I could see Aaliyah going a Mary J. Blige type route with the exception of movie roles. Aaliyah was very popular to a certain demographics early on but you can see she definitely has cross-over appeal. That's how I see Mary now because her fan base seems to be more diverse these days. I don't think she would have been Beyonce status, but IMO I don't believe she was the type of person who wanted that. I've seen interviews where she says she just loves making music and being an entertainer and if she's doing that she's happy. It doesn't take Beyonce status to be happy about where you are in the music industry.

    As far as her vocals are concerned, she is not a powerhouse singer like other artists who go for a more dramatic sound. The beauty in her vocals is when she sings in her falsetto, its absolutely breathtaking. I'm sure some people feel she can't sing at all, I myself have seen the bad youtube videos of live performances, but there are also good ones.

    This is a good video to show the difference between her falsetto and her normal voice. Falsetto was definitely better for her.

    This is my favorite clip of her live on radio.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham M0D SQUAD™ Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    @marie addams: That's what i'm saying. The week after she died her album rose from #19 to #1, and sold more than it did in its first week... Aaliyah's death made her ridiculously overrated. She wasn't ever a huge seller and she wasn't really THAT impressive as singer or dancer...which is why I find it strange that people say no other female vocalist could handle her songs or dance as well as her. She was making her own lane and had her own style, ect...and she had high quality music... but her voice wasn't really that unique or strong, . If she was still around today, I doubt she'd still be making the hits. It's crazy what a tragic death will do to someone's legacy. And then people are so quick to say that any comment that isn't complete praise is disrespectful when people have no problem criticizing other artists.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham M0D SQUAD™ Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    LOL @ "Aaliyah would of fell off". 1st and formost, Justin Timberlake would of had zero beats for his albums had Aaliyah lived cause they would of all went to her.
    Umm.. Aaliyah's last album barely had any Timbaland production on it. Like 3 or 4 songs, if even. She was moving onto a different sound.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Entertainment/Pop Culture/Media Analyst New York CityMembers Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    KillaCham. wrote: »
    @marie addams: That's what i'm saying. The week after she died her album rose from #19 to #1, and sold more than it did in its first week... Aaliyah's death made her ridiculously overrated. She wasn't ever a huge seller and she wasn't really THAT impressive as singer or dancer...which is why I find it strange that people say no other female vocalist could handle her songs or dance as well as her. She was making her own lane and had her own style, ect...and she had high quality music... but her voice wasn't really that unique or strong, . If she was still around today, I doubt she'd still be making the hits. It's crazy what a tragic death will do to someone's legacy. And then people are so quick to say that any comment that isn't complete praise is disrespectful when people have no problem criticizing other artists.


    1st her album dropped in Mid July a whole month and a half before his death. So it was still in the Top 20 within a month of it's release. 2nd she was deemed the "Princess of RnB" after her Classic "One and Million" dropped. She was co-signed by damn near every heavy hitter in the game including the late great B.I.G. As well as DMX, NaS and Jay Z. To say if she'd be around today you doubt she would making hits as if Timibaland and her crew aren't making hit songs now is wild. Aaliyah would of been fine, espeically with all the new prodcution she didn't get to work with. She was going Multiplatinum before her death, her singles were selling like hotcakes on her soundtracks. People didn't need her death to see she was one of the best in the game which is why many say she helped change RnB in the 90's. Aaliyah is now Legendary status for a reason. A lot of these chicks now are lucky like Ciara and Rhianna who both are clearly clones on Aaliayh. Beyonce also came after Aaliyah was smashing the game. As for her vocals and dance moves, they were fine and help make her the star she was. Also Timibaland produced all her major hit songs. There is no way she would of stopped working with him. Again, Justin better be thanking the Ghost of Aaliyah cause all those beats would of been hers.