What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Past, Present, Future - Does time exist?

Punisher__
Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
edited June 2010 in The Social Lounge
Or could it just be a human creation to illustrate a notion of movement with regard to our transition?

In other words...an illusion?
«1345678

Comments

  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited May 2010
    I agree. Time as we measure it is most definitely an illusion.
  • independentsoundlab
    independentsoundlab Members Posts: 351
    edited May 2010
    deja vu ..
    say what you want but that is a clue into "time".. like everything is written and thats a glitch in your mind or in the matrix that lets you see ahead.. scientists try to explain it but can not tell you directly.. why it happens.. some parallel universe 🤬 ..

    before the haters try to bash me.. google the 🤬 ..
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven When the first trumpet sounds!!!! Agggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Babylon the GreatMembers Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    il·lu·sion
    1.something that deceives by producing a false or misleading impression of reality.

    2.the state or condition of being deceived; misapprehension.

    3.an instance of being deceived.

    4.Psychology. a perception, as of visual stimuli (optical illusion), that represents what is perceived in a way different from the way it is in reality.

    5.a very thin, delicate tulle of silk or nylon having a cobwebbed appearance, for trimmings, veilings, and the like.

    6.Obsolete. the act of deceiving; deception; delusion.




    Explain how the sun rising and setting day after day is deceiving?
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Time is a form of measurement based on vibrations. We use the rotation of the earth as well as it's revolving around the sun as our basis on time. Deja vu, I think, is just when your brain hiccups and instead of perceiving what just happened with your short term memory, it some how gets placed in your long term memory hence the feeling that it happened before when it really didin't. Deja vu is not looking into the future, because you can't change or alter what happened after your deja vu sense.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    il·lu·sion
    1.something that deceives by producing a false or misleading impression of reality.

    2.the state or condition of being deceived; misapprehension.

    3.an instance of being deceived.

    4.Psychology. a perception, as of visual stimuli (optical illusion), that represents what is perceived in a way different from the way it is in reality.

    5.a very thin, delicate tulle of silk or nylon having a cobwebbed appearance, for trimmings, veilings, and the like.

    6.Obsolete. the act of deceiving; deception; delusion.




    Explain how the sun rising and setting day after day is deceiving?

    This doesn't really suggest that time exists, though, with regard to what I'm asking. Or does it?

    What is "past" and "future", to you?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven When the first trumpet sounds!!!! Agggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Babylon the GreatMembers Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    This doesn't really suggest that time exists, though, with regard to what I'm asking. Or does it?

    What is "past" and "future", to you?

    Time exists in this universe. The sun, the moon, the stars, the seasons are all evidences of time existing. But there is a place outside of this time domain that does exists, which is eternal. The only way to get there is through Jesus Christ. Would you like to know more about Him?
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Time exists in this universe. The sun, the moon, the stars, the seasons are all evidences of time existing. But there is a place outside of this time domain that does exists, which is eternal. The only way to get there is through Jesus Christ. Would you like to know more about Him?

    Actually, they aren't.

    Let's break it down in correct verb tense. There is no past; there WAS a past. There is no future; there WILL be a future.

    Metaphysics becomes null.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven When the first trumpet sounds!!!! Agggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Babylon the GreatMembers Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Actually, they aren't.

    Let's break it down in correct verb tense. There is no past; there WAS a past. There is no future; there WILL be a future.

    Metaphysics becomes null.

    Im not arguing semantics. Your question was "does time exists?" The simple answer is yes. The more complicated answer is yes, but only in this time domain.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Im not arguing semantics. Your question was "does time exists?" The simple answer is yes. The more complicated answer is yes, but only in this time domain.

    But does it really exist?

    How would you define the concept of "future?"
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    But does it really exist?

    How would you define the concept of "future?"


    Future - What is going to happen, but hasn't yet.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven When the first trumpet sounds!!!! Agggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Babylon the GreatMembers Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    But does it really exist?

    How would you define the concept of "future?"

    Yes time exists, because we exist.

    And the future is the next second, minute, hour, day, or year.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Chike wrote: »
    Future - What is going to happen, but hasn't yet.

    So the future doesn't exist, because it hasn't happened yet...

    But isn't time suppose to be in dimensions?
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Prude FieldsMembers Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    There is no other 'time' than the present. Past and future only exist when we think about them and bring them into awareness.

    And I don't think the present technically fits the concept of exist.
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    And I don't think the present technically fits the concept of exist.

    I don't think it does.

    Whilst we're thinking about the "present", it has already moved into the past, which doesn't exist...and we're now in the future, which never existed.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Prude FieldsMembers Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    I don't think it does.

    Whilst we're thinking about the "present", it has already moved into the past, which doesn't exist...and we're now in the future, which never existed.

    You can only be "in" the future when you "put" your mind there. Otherwise, you are in the present. Likewise with the past.

    What does "exist" mean to you?
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited May 2010
    Yes time exists, because we exist.

    And the future is the next second, minute, hour, day, or year.

    These are man made concepts...what were they before they were minutes, hours, days, or years? Animals don't consider seconds, minutes, hours, days, or years. Only man.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven When the first trumpet sounds!!!! Agggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!! Babylon the GreatMembers Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    oliverlang wrote: »
    These are man made concepts...what were they before they were minutes, hours, days, or years? Animals don't consider seconds, minutes, hours, days, or years. Only man.

    Animals may not comprehend time like we do, but you better believe that they understand when it is time to hunt, eat, sleep, etc. Animals know the seasons also, which is another element of time. 🤬 ordained time because He made it. Genesis 1:14 tells us such. "And 🤬 said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years."


    But before creation, there is eternity. Eternity has no beginning and it has no end, thus 🤬 is eternal. He is the source of everything because He is the beginning and the end. Hallelujah!

    "Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art 🤬 . " Psalm 90:2
  • TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Time began the moment the big bang created the universe...
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    So the future doesn't exist, because it hasn't happened yet...

    But isn't time suppose to be in dimensions?


    We live in the third dimension where we can only experience time in a straight line. That's how our brains work. If you want to get deeper, then we would have to be able to comprehend the 4th or 5th dimension which we can't in this 3rd dimension.
  • perspective@100
    [email protected] Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Numbers are infinite.... So based on my own thoughts time cant exist because you cant count past the number 1. The number 1 will last forever or trying to reach it will. If you look in the mirror you see your reflection from however long it took your brain to interpret the light so you never see yourself in the present and you can never see the future. There is only the past or history which is 1... Haha, I be high
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Numbers are infinite.... So based on my own thoughts time cant exist because you cant count past the number 1. The number 1 will last forever or trying to reach it will. If you look in the mirror you see your reflection from however long it took your brain to interpret the light so you never see yourself in the present and you can never see the future. There is only the past or history which is 1... Haha, I be high



    Number one in what? Seconds, minutes? years?


    Every single second that goes by is the past, and every single second into the future is not the present, so what is the present? There is only past and future, there is no present.
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited May 2010
    Chike wrote: »
    Number one in what? Seconds, minutes? years?


    Every single second that goes by is the past, and every single second into the future is not the present, so what is the present? There is only past and future, there is no present.

    I would say the only thing that exists is NOW, the past doesn't exist - it already happened, the future doesn't exist - it hasn't happened.
  • perspective@100
    [email protected] Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Chike wrote: »
    Number one in what? Seconds, minutes? years?

    In all of them... Are counting system does not make any sense. Its pretty simple with only ten digits, but yet you can use these to go on forever with no end? How can you measure something that never ends? You cant. So using it to measure makes no sense to me. Using this sytem to measure time we can never reach 1 in anything. its not year 1 its still .0000000000000000000000000000001 and further and further back so much so we will never see a whole digit...







    oliverlang wrote: »
    I would say the only thing that exists is NOW, the past doesn't exist - it already happened, the future doesn't exist - it hasn't happened.

    The past is the only thing are minds can process though. The so called present is actually the past. Imagine one equal plane where everything happens at all at once, no difference in moment. Just 1 so called "time"
  • oliverlang
    oliverlang Members Posts: 593
    edited May 2010

    The past is the only thing are minds can process though. The so called present is actually the past. Imagine one equal plane where everything happens at all at once, no difference in moment. Just 1 so called "time"

    I agree with the infinite thing you say...however, can you live in the past? Do you exist in the past? The present always turns into "the past," but the present is the only thing that continually exists. You only live and exist in the current moment. All there is, is an ever changing present.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    One hell of a mind boggling thread.
Sign In or Register to comment.