What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Paul Pierce opts out

killapkillap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
Add one more marquee name to the most anticipated free-agent class in NBA history: Paul Pierce.

Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that Pierce has notified the Boston Celtics that he will opt out of the final year of his contract before Wednesday's deadline to do so, which will make Pierce an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career.

By opting out, Pierce will forfeit next season's $21.5 million salary but becomes eligible to sign a new four-year deal with the Celtics worth a maximum of $96 million and can receive four-year offers from other teams worth a maximum $93 million.

Pierce's name has scarcely been mentioned in the buildup to the summer of 2010 free-agent bonanza because, as with Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki, most rival executives believe that the Celtics would never allow the go-to scorer of the 2008 championship team to walk.

Sources said that Pierce will begin free agency by talking first to the Celtics when the market opens on Thursday at 12:01 a.m., but the 32-year-old will field other offers.

External interest in Pierce is hard to gauge because there has been so little discussion in recent months about his potential free agency and because of the heavy load he has carried for the Celtics in recent seasons. Yet Pierce just played a pivotal role in helping Boston to reach the NBA Finals and take the Los Angeles Lakers to seven grueling games as a No. 4 seed in the East.

Asked recently to gauge the likelihood of re-signing Pierce, Celtics vice president of basketball operations Danny Ainge said last week on WEEI Radio in Boston: "I don't know because he may be able to get a long-term contract somewhere else. It may be better than what we have [to offer]."

http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nba/news/story?id=5341636

Comments

• eyes loweyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    well that was dumb bc theres no way hes getting any where near that much
  • killapkillap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Probably gonna re-sign but if I was the celtics I'd think twice before giving him a max deal
  • toheeb27toheeb27 Members Posts: 10,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    killap wrote: »
    Probably gonna re-sign but if I was the celtics I'd think twice before giving him a max deal

As long as they resign his wheelchair too, they should not have a problem.
  • killapkillap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    toheeb27 wrote: »

LOL you already know
  • DatGuyJ22DatGuyJ22 Members Posts: 1,093
    edited June 2010
    That 🤬 aint goin anywhere just trying to get more money
  • R.D.R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Either he's dumb as hell or The Celtics are gonna resign to a max and prove to be just as dumb
  • iAMNOVAiAMNOVA Members Posts: 2,493 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    toheeb27 wrote: »

*dead* be back in the 3rd quarter
  • KeepOnPushingKeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    LMAO at Boston Holding this 🤬 WheelChair to Blackball him....."🤬 where you going? we got ya chair right here"
  • 1of11of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Dirk too...
    http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nba/news/story?id=5339661

And Yi got traded to the Wizards
    http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/nba/news/story?id=5340026

Damn...a lot of posturing going on...
  • b*brazeb*braze Members Posts: 8,968 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    ...odd. Why would he even consider leaving at this point?
  • DB CooperDB Cooper Members Posts: 746
    edited June 2010
    🤬 the celtics
  • Focal PointFocal Point Kushite descent... wandering child from Meru of Old TrentonMembers Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    lol ol greedy ass
  • jayhi22jayhi22 Members Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Its actually a smart move on his part. He just helped lead the team to the Finals. Still has some legs. So now is the perfect time to opt out to get more money and a contract that will take him to retirement. Why waste another year of wear and tear on himself? He's staying in Boston for sure... Not for Max money though lol
  • john2009john2009 Confirm Email Posts: 2,081 ✭✭
    edited June 2010
    if a team doesnt get lebron... And boston dont offer pierce good money...i can see a team like ny offer pierce a deal that he camt resist
  • KeepOnPushingKeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    john2009 wrote: »
    if a team doesnt get lebron... And boston dont offer pierce good money...i can see a team like ny offer pierce a deal that he camt resist

Nobody is Paying Paul Pierce at age 33 a Ton of Money dude .
    edited June 2010
    john2009 wrote: »

not happening...Paul Pierce is not a fanchise player and he's 32
  • Mdizzle9000Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    He wants a longer contract now so he'll be guarenteed cash just in case he breaks down and becomes old and wack this year
  • aquizzleaquizzle Members Posts: 589
    edited June 2010
    Lol 🤬 acting like Pierce is searching for max money on the market or something. This is for security reasons. Ya'll already forgot about the new CBA coming up? It's better for Pierce to decline the 21 million and sign a 3/4 year deal that could possibly take him into his retirement. Manu got 3/40 extension and Pierce is at least Manu's equal. Also I could definitely see a desperate team throwing a rather large deal at Pierce if they miss out on everyone else. Especially a team like the Clippers or something.. that would be a sad day though
    edited June 2010
    id offer Paul 10 mil a year for 4 years and tell em take it or leave it
  • gucci7383gucci7383 Members Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    DatGuyJ22 wrote: »
    That 🤬 aint goin anywhere just trying to get more money

bingo.. just like dirk.. they just want those 4 yrs 96 million dollar deals.... the cba is changing next yr thats why everyone is using there opt out
  • Reggie80Reggie80 Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    LMAO at Boston Holding this 🤬 WheelChair to Blackball him....."🤬 where you going? we got ya chair right here"

pierce 1 kobe 1
  • Mdizzle9000Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Out of peirce, dirk and amare, the only 1 whose actually gonna leave is amare, unless the rumors are true and dirk reunites with his lover, *cough*I mean teammate millz,er, I mean steve nash on the suns.
    edited June 2010
    Reggie80 wrote: »
    pierce 1 kobe 1

try Kobe 5
  • ThaChozenWunThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited June 2010
    Maybe hes looking for a pay cut so he can give the C's a little money to play with during FA
  • ReppinBKtotheFullestReppinBKtotheFullest Members Posts: 166
    edited June 2010
    I'd be suprised if he left boston