What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Does hip hop music have to be lyrical to be considered great?

Black Boy King
Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in AllHipHop.com Editorials

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, but it's what separates good rappers from great rappers imo. You will never tell me Too Short is on Nas's level as a mc, even though they are both legends.
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    2pac is ur answer.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Black Identified Extremist Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    That's the misconception some of y'all have. You don't have to be lyrical to be a good emcee, nor does a song have to be lyrical for it to be good.

• Nah Son
    Nah Son Habitual Line Stepper Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 9,367 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Pac wasnt really lyrical but is one of the Goats.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Parts Unknown via BrooklynMembers Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Before Rakim, lyricism wasn't as important as it is now, and a handful of classic albums came out before Paid In Full (Radio, Raising Hell)
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    No, but it's what separates good rappers from great rappers imo. You will never tell me Too Short is on Nas's level as a mc, even though they are both legends.

Can Too Short move the crowd yes , can Nas move the crowd yes . Nas is much more poetic in his approach. while Too Short is

much more Crude but they both get the job done . Thats all that matters in the end
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    No you don't have to be lyrical to be great. Some of the best writers are not great because they cant reach their audience
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Say What wrote: »
    No you don't have to be lyrical to be great. Some of the best writers are not great because they cant reach their audience
    What if the audience are idiots?
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's like art, for instance you have someone like Warhol and Van Gogh. Both painters but technically Van Gogh is more advance in styles and telling a story with his art. It's not only your ability to move a crowd, but the technicalities of how you paint the picture to move the crowd.
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somebody wake me I'm dreaming, I started as a seed the 🤬
    Swimming upstream, planted in the 🤬 while screaming

How is that not lyrical
  • In Your Moms Room
    In Your Moms Room 302Members Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If every rapper was lyrical the rap game would be boring. So no.
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the real issue is how twisted some people seem to think the definition of lyrical is, as you can see in this thread.

Lyrical means the way you paint the picture, but somehow people seem to automatically think that lyrical means boring. So was Big Pun's music boring? He wasn't a concious rapper but the way he spat no matter what the topic was and is the definition of lyrical. 🤬 seem to think that lyrical means nerd/boring.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Queer LGBT CommunityMembers Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lyricism doesn't necessarily mean all metaphors and alliterations and stuff.
    Its about painting a picture or making the listener feel what you're saying.
  • StillDreaming
    StillDreaming Members Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭
    This should be common sense to anyone who grew up on this music.....
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich RUCKWORLDMembers Posts: 13,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lyricism doesn't necessarily mean all metaphors and alliterations and stuff.
    Its about painting a picture or making the listener feel what you're saying.

tupac did that tho rite
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definitely not.
  • Gucci Scott King
    Gucci Scott King Members Posts: 883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes and No depending on your definition of lyrical
  • Cutler 26 INT's LOL!
    Cutler 26 INT's LOL! Members Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • the_focused_one
    the_focused_one Members Posts: 560 ✭✭✭✭
    2pac is ur answer.

THIS.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no notnecessarily....emcees are just like any other thing there are levels to this 🤬 you have basic emcees up to advanced emcees.....that nas/too short 🤬 is accurate short might not be as skilled as Nas but that doesnt mean he cant make a great song...seem like when the word lyrical comes up cats get defensive or frightened...lol
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey mikeyismod CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNMembers, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Kanye popped up in my head when I saw this thread
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most of the songs I like are pretty lyrical. How many times have you heard a x rapper on a track and thought, y rapper would body that track and they gave it to this wack muf***a.
  • tygarapper3035
    tygarapper3035 Members Posts: 1
    hello