What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Twitter followers and Youtube views are the most pointless statistics in the world

usmarin3
usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2012 in AllHipHop.com Editorials
Why do people factor in all this nonsense when it comes to MTV top 10 list and other dumb 🤬 . It doesn't translate into sales, how is it possible to have millions of followers and they don't support your 🤬 when it comes to buying music. Twitter and Youtube is making these artist feel bigger than they really are, it's a damn mirage. On Twitter Justin Beiber is the biggest thing in the world, until you find out dude is only a platinum artist. His fans are worthless!
«1

Comments

  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "followers" is funny as hell...its like they are making fun of the people who use twitter and nobody cares lol
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not exactly.In the internet age real numbers are the only way to tell how popular an artist is.it may not equal sales, but it means you have a level of popularity.it may take 10 million followers to be able to sale platinum.Beiber is getting a lot of money though
  • sniperk
    sniperk Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get $10 from Grouchy Greg for every IC Ether my comments receive.

    Ca-ching, 🤬 !
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Co-sign.

    Not only does it not translate into sales, but it's regular folk with millions of Youtube views and Twitter followers. Some people pay for views, and there's probably a way to pay for followers too.
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    usmarin3 wrote:
    Why do people factor in all this nonsense when it comes to MTV top 10 list and other dumb 🤬 . It doesn't translate into sales, how is it possible to have millions of followers and they don't support your 🤬 when it comes to buying music. Twitter and Youtube is making these artist feel bigger than they really are, it's a damn mirage. On Twitter Justin Beiber is the biggest thing in the world, until you find out dude is only a platinum artist. His fans are worthless!

    🤬 , Justin Bieber had like 700 million views on one song.

    I wonder if how much he gets paid as a Youtube partner. 🤬 gotta be ridiculous.
  • Maalik
    Maalik Members Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kid made $53 million last year.

    SHITTTTTTT
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I thought yall loved me man..." Bwhahahahahaha
  • Sion
    Sion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Members, Moderators, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 45,666 Regulator
    Got dayum usmarin3 spittin that gospel again.

    Fam look at Curren$y, 🤬 has millions of views on youtube yet Pilot Talk 1 (Amazing album by the way) could barely touch over 30k in sales.
  • idoitforhiphop10
    idoitforhiphop10 Members Posts: 5,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    c/s. don't forget datpiff downloads. Alot of those 🤬 with 2x platinum d/l's can barley go gold.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    co 🤬 sign diggy and lil twist got 1 milli in twitter followers and diggy flopped and twist aint even released this week like he planned. Still waiting for @bcotton2000 to tell me why twist didn't drop lmaoooo. Its ironic that twist was supposed to drop on the week of 4/20 cause you know his 🤬 bout to be a weedplate.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What people don't consider about something like youtube views is that one person can count as multiple views. Imagine how many views shadyteam counts for on an eminem video, or deathrowzorrow on a nas video.
  • p-tavern
    p-tavern yeah its called im on the wideworldweb EVER HEARD OF IT???Members Posts: 2,626 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Because Vevo ads on youtube, and suggestive manifestations of one's "personal thoughts" on twitter ≠ HUGE money.
    Right...
  • MUDDYWATERZ
    MUDDYWATERZ Members Posts: 252 ✭✭
    Battle rappers use this as a crutch a lot.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    While it may not push albums, it keeps their name out there and keeps the concert dollars coming. People do still like live shows until the holograms take over. It gets you endorsements and allows you to use your presence to negotiate contracts outside of music. Imagine telling your millions of followers that you like mountain dew. It's easier to buy then an album and it can become a statement and a trend just because your popular. It all depends on how you sell yourself in the end.
  • H-Rap 180
    H-Rap 180 Members Posts: 15,452 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Who cares about album sales in 2012?

    Artists are becoming partners with Yotube and Ad revenue is being generated from those views.

    Twitter is being used more and more by artists to advertise their own merchandise, websites and products that they are being paid to endorse.

    Justin Beiber doesn't need 10 million followers to buy his albums he just needs 1 million of his followers to show up at his concerts and shows.


    Battle rappers use this as a crutch a lot.

    That's how Smack picks the match-ups because it's the best way to gauge the publics interest for the battle-rapper.

    The views for Shotgun Suge Vs Nuborn won't be the same as Hollow da Don Vs Conceited. LOL.

    Tsu Surf & Aye Verb get a lot of views but Arsenal got so many views that he was able to branch out and do his thing with a new league outside of URL.

  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of people in here are stepping outside of their depth. USmarine still mad about J.cole not getting on the hottest mc list haha.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Your favorite basketball-american gentleman Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stop it usmarine, it's the only thing riddle rap can cling on to for 50 cent musically.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Your favorite basketball-american gentleman Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also lol, i typed joe budden into youtube and dude can't even get a million viewers. 🤬 stay going quadruple jaw breaker.
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    H-Rap 180 wrote: »
    Who cares about album sales in 2012?

    Artists are becoming partners with Yotube and Ad revenue is being generated from those views.

    Twitter is being used more and more by artists to advertise their own merchandise, websites and products that they are being paid to endorse.

    Justin Beiber doesn't need 10 million followers to buy his albums he just needs 1 million of his followers to show up at his concerts and shows.


    Battle rappers use this as a crutch a lot.

    That's how Smack picks the match-ups because it's the best way to gauge the publics interest for the battle-rapper.

    The views for Shotgun Suge Vs Nuborn won't be the same as Hollow da Don Vs Conceited. LOL.

    Tsu Surf & Aye Verb get a lot of views but Arsenal got so many views that he was able to branch out and do his thing with a new league outside of URL.

    people who own the rights to the music and get the most profit out of it .
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man, the A&R's care about youtube numbers a lot. You can not get a record deal without a youtube presence. Trust me, I know this to be a fact bro, so they are not useless, aiight peace man.
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys don't understand business I see. In business the money is in the list. Everyone on your list is not going to buy into your products/services, the goal is not for everyone to buy, but its to attract a certain percentage of people on the list as potential customers or buyers. Its a way to follow up with the people who you are targeting in your market. Plus it takes up to seven contacts to get some one interested in what you have any way, so it may not happen today tomorrow or this year, but it may happen. With that said, twitter is a LIST for artist with potential fans, youtube subscribers are a LIST for artist with potential fans. And I'm pretty sure if you went through Beibers followers on twitter, you would see about 20 perccent of them aren't even a part of his targeted market. Some of you cats should go read a book on business models and marketing because you all just assume 🤬 .
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Chief Petty Officer of the Ill Community Naval Command HOOYAHMembers Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What people don't consider about something like youtube views is that one person can count as multiple views. Imagine how many views shadyteam counts for on an eminem video, or deathrowzorrow on a nas video.
    One person can buy multiple albums.

  • Supreme_Mind999
    Supreme_Mind999 Members Posts: 5,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not true, especially not for the new artist.Youtube and these other media outlets are ways artists can gain exposure and promote their wares without a record label.

    Everyone who views your vids may not buy your album but the potential for more TRUE fans and customers is always there..

    For the average artist, 30k cds sold independently is a nice chunk of change..and to the T/S stick to pushing paper weights and licking envelopes.What the hell you know about being a artist and selling records?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    While it may not push albums, it keeps their name out there and keeps the concert dollars coming. People do still like live shows until the holograms take over. It gets you endorsements and allows you to use your presence to negotiate contracts outside of music. Imagine telling your millions of followers that you like mountain dew. It's easier to buy then an album and it can become a statement and a trend just because your popular. It all depends on how you sell yourself in the end.

    Twitter only helps rappers who already have an established fan base it doesn't help the majority of up and coming rappers as much as you would think. Does it bring exposure yes but the buzz is short lived as the twitter world quickly moves on to the next fad. If someone gets a mountain dew contract and tells people to buy mountain dew that will not raise sales that much its just people 🤬 like mountain dew period.

    Also twitter hurts more arists than it helps. There have been hundreds of celebs and artists that have tweeted something that even their fans think is offensive and then its an outrage and then comes a tweet like "what really guys you're offending by that smh" then more outage then the high profile person has to apologize after people in their camp tell them too.

    I don't care how much "money" people make off twitter if im A&R of an artist im concerned about them having a voice to the world 24/7 especally when there is a drink or joint in their hand. All the money someone can make off social media is worth the risk of having negative press and every day having to respond to trollers that trap them into looking lame.

  • KillaCham
    KillaCham M0D SQUAD™ Members, Moderators Posts: 11,415 Regulator
    edited April 2012
    Why would those statistics be pointless and why does everything always have to boil down to sales? Views and followers are a good indicator of interest at the least...and interest is important. Not everyone that's interested in something is going to spend money on it.

    And do you not know that artists and labels get paid for their VEVO/YouTube views?

    VEVO pays about $70,000 for every 10 million views. A video hitting 1 billion views = $7 million check from VEVO. Still seem pointless to you?
Sign In or Register to comment.