What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

So which was better 90s or 00s Hip Hop?

The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks GivenMembers Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2010 in The Face Off Forum
I was just playing around with Windows Movie Maker and made this video. It's the first thing I ever made on there so let me know what you think?

As for the topic, I think 90s Hip Hop was better hands down, but some decent stuff came out in the 00s too. By the way, the video is comparing songs from the 90s vs songs from the 00s. So don't waste time posting comments like Artists A really came from the 90s.

Comments

• satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    90s hands down. when the the 00s hit 🤬 turned sour as 🤬 .
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    90's is gonna be 100% of the votes, if it's a 2000 voter in here, it's because he/she is like 11 -13 years old.

I wish that we could get that raw rugged production today. I loved that "static" in the background, I loved the rugged beats. The flow then >>> than today. Everything about the 90's was amazing.
  • Stew
    Stew Rap Music Is My Religion HTTRMembers, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    edited July 2010
    VIBE86 wrote: »
    90's is gonna be 100% of the votes, if it's a 2000 voter in here, it's because he/she is like 11 -13 years old.

I wish that we could get that raw rugged production today. I loved that "static" in the background, I loved the rugged beats. The flow then >>> than today. Everything about the 90's was amazing.

Im not a big fan of that RZA sound compared to Dre's. I wish they would remaster 36 Chambers and Cuban Linx

Still 90's>>00'S
  • skpjr78
    skpjr78 Members Posts: 7,311 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    the 90s hands down. death row by itself can carry the 90s against any other era. from snoop to outkast to dmx the 90s was the 🤬 . puff and mase cost the 90s some points at the end but there was enough good 🤬 that came before to pick up the slack.
  • Ordem e Progresso
    Ordem e Progresso Members Posts: 142
    edited July 2010
    I think great hip hop has come out of each decade it's been around but as an era I typically prefer and listen to more hip hop that came out of the 90's and 80's
  • nddd
    nddd Members Posts: 52
    edited July 2010
    2000 - 2002
    ^

Hip hop got wack after those years left.
  • P-Dogg77
    P-Dogg77 Members Posts: 4,429 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    Early 00's were alright compared to the hiphop songs of today. But 90's is even the best era of hiphop history according to me.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    VIBE86 wrote: »

word i love the muddy sounding beats. rugged as 🤬 . 🤬 i was listen to my old sniff n wessin ablum and that 🤬 sounded ill. not over produced soundscapes just an ill beat with spits over it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    hlf wrote: »
    Im not a big fan of that RZA sound compared to Dre's. I wish they would remaster 36 Chambers and Cuban Linx

Still 90's>>00'S

Remastering those albums in the way you're suggesting would basically 🤬 a lot of what made those albums so great. The griminess of the sound is part of its allure. Althought, OB4CL was a lot cleaner sounding than 36 Chambers or say something like Tical. I personally prefer Rza's sound over Dre's though. That raw sound is pretty much the essence of Hip Hop.

On topic, like someone else said, the early 2000s actually weren't too bad. There were some decent new artists like Luda and Kanye and a lot of the popular 90s artists were still making good music. Past 2005, there seemed to be a pretty big drop in the quality though.
  • AbleAndReckless
    AbleAndReckless Members Posts: 33
    edited July 2010
    I can agree with all of yall on the rugged production sound.

Tell me something from 2000 or beyond is more moving than this:
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    The problem isn't that rappers have decreased in quality overall. The problem is that the demographic of consumers has changed, kids are now the most powerful force in the hip hop market, and even though I'm 18, that's a big 🤬 problem. Only with my age group are songs like "Pretty Boy Swag" and "Teach me how to Dougie" acceptable. Like has been said before, now ANYBODY can rap, all you need is a good beat and a catchy chorus and you've got yourself a hit. People don't buy cohesive albums anymore so artists record 15 singles and burn them on to a CD. Kids are 🤬 🤬 , and if Lil B's popularity doesn't prove it, then I don't know what will
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    if you ask any or most hip hop fans who is in their top 5, most of the rappers in their top 5 are from the 90's
  • tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    For me, the 90's and the 80's were the best era of this genre and yes they were some good albums and songs in 2000's, but nothing like those prior two decades.

Rap died with biggie, big pun, tupac and big l.
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    tupacfan35 wrote: »
    For me, the 90's and the 80's were the best era of this genre and yes they were some good albums and songs in 2000's, but nothing like those prior two decades.

Rap died with biggie, big pun, tupac and big l.[/QUOTE]

Rap is not dead: Cats like Joell Ortiz, Lupe, Jay Electronica, J. Cole, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, and Nas continue to prove that MAINSTREAM rap faltering, but rap itself is alive and well
  • tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    tupacfan35 wrote: »

Rap died with biggie, big pun, tupac and big l.[/QUOTE]

Rap is not dead: Cats like Joell Ortiz, Lupe, Jay Electronica, J. Cole, Talib Kweli, Mos Def, and Nas continue to prove that MAINSTREAM rap faltering, but rap itself is alive and well

Yes they are good artists, but to me it just isn't the same.
  • finboy
    finboy Members Posts: 109
    edited July 2010
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited July 2010
    2000s easily.
    Blueprint, Food and Liquor, The Cool, All Kanye 🤬 , Luda's albums, 50, The Game, The Carter and Carter 2.
    The list goes on.
  • northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    skpjr78 wrote: »
    the 90s hands down. death row by itself can carry the 90s against any other era. from snoop to outkast to dmx the 90s was the 🤬 . puff and mase cost the 90s some points at the end but there was enough good 🤬 that came before to pick up the slack.

Lol yeah, late 90s (98-99) had some 🤬 but good music was still coming out. 90s ftw, I would even say cartoons from the 90s were better than 80s and 00s cartoons. The 90s had that sound, something about it.
  • Cleveland7venty6
    Cleveland7venty6 Members Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    my "hiphop" stops at 2002. everything before that was cool and after, well, not so much.

Around that time, i started noticing a trend. every song on the radio and music video was about chicks. (thanks ja-rule)

then the subject matter got ignorant.

but i am 34, therefore, im crazy madd bias.

The 90's: it seemed like, if they showed a video by an artist then, that said artist was hot. if they got air time on the radio, they was a somebody in the game.

now i do remember that an artist got more respect if their video was played on BET and Not MTV, and if they were played on both, well sheeeeeit, they was.......

but now, ya know. im 34. jigga always been cool. Em been doing it the whole time, but i aint gone lie, Drake got the spot. and he a 🤬 dude. a faggy actor dude from a teeny bopper nick jr tv show. and he won just by doing what lil wayne did: RAP ABOUT SOMETHING!
  • J. Rob
    J. Rob Milwaukee, WIMembers Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2010
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    The problem isn't that rappers have decreased in quality overall. The problem is that the demographic of consumers has changed, kids are now the most powerful force in the hip hop market, and even though I'm 18, that's a big 🤬 problem.

Co-sign....quality of hip hop never really went away, it just went underground. But still, the 90s were better
  • Cleveland7venty6
    edited July 2010
    the 70's and 80's cartoons was the blueprint. stop playing.
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited July 2010
    current cartoons and anime>>>80s cartoons.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Black Identified Extremist Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited July 2010
    There was some good music released in the 2000's but the 90's was better by far.
  • Cleveland7venty6
    edited July 2010
    I had stopped listening to music because i called myself " getting grown" so i only listened to talk radio in the car. but since april when i got my ballys membership and bought a cool ass mp3 player, its like, i got re-introduced. and i fill that 🤬 up with all my personal classics.

with that said, i do have alot of 2000's tracks. like some bubba sparxxx "the otherside" featuring petey pablo. I got T.I "what you know bout dat" i got lil wayne " dr carter" as well as "milli". so basically im sayin, I cant deny the hits.

but i gotta be partial to krs 1, P.E, Cube, Bone, L.L, ...ect ect...
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited July 2010
    a tribe called quest...thats all...