What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

What Was The Longest Book You Ever Read?

Maximus RexMaximus Rex Pulchritudo in Conspectu RegisThe EmpreyanPosts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2012 in The Social Lounge
The longest books I ever read were:

War and Peace 1,440 pages.

Bill Clinton's Autobiography My Life 1,008 pages

and a biography on Eleanor Roosevelt that was about 900 pages.
Oakland+Athletics+1200.jpg

“There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens.”―Tommy Lasorda
«13

Replies

  • MissKMissK #Lurkerlivesmatter FuckyouIcontribute Behind a DeskPosts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    War and Peace -over 1000
    Gone With the Wind-over 1000
    A Suitable Boy-over 1000
    Les Miserables-over 1000

    Various other compilations
    "Sometimes people don't notice the things we do for them until we stop doing them"
  • Melanin_Enriched Melanin_Enriched Your favorite basketball-american gentleman Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Half of a harry potter book.
    *Top 5 background poster*
    Started fucking with photoshop
    superstarcole.gif
    LUClENAjackson17
  • jonojono Right fist = power, left fist = unity Posts: 30,066 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably. A People's History...don't know how many pages that is.
    @SoulTrain4 *FMOT*

    For blogs on hip-hop & entertainment:
    http://www.shobizcentral.wordpress.com

    For blogs on politics and other things:
    http://www.jonoaries.blogspot.com

    All blog written by me. If you like what I post on here you should dig the blogs too. I also accept suggestions on blog topics, so feel free to suggest things and also if you are a reader tell others, spread the word. I'll try not to be so lazy and actualy get some writing done.
    RobCoLife
  • CracceRCracceR ૐ☯★♑☮⌘ Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    probably the bible
    SionelementalPAjackson17
  • PlutarchPlutarch A Tribe Called Fresh Philly, PA, by way of Ca$hville, TNPosts: 3,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure. I've read a lot here and there, but I couldn't say or probably even remember the title of the book. I did read One Hundred Years of Solitude in high school though. And Paradise Lost and most of Paradise Regained in college.

    I refuse to read Moby Dick though.
  • Maximus RexMaximus Rex Pulchritudo in Conspectu Regis The EmpreyanPosts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I refuse to read Moby Dick though.

    Why?

    Oakland+Athletics+1200.jpg

    “There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens.”―Tommy Lasorda
  • LUClENLUClEN Absence makes the heart grow fonder of someone else Posts: 20,473 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow i feel like such an illiterate

    longest book I read was about 400 pages.. How long does it take you to finish a book with 1000+ pages?
    The rapper from linkin park would body the dudes in the xxxtentacion cypher
  • Maximus RexMaximus Rex Pulchritudo in Conspectu Regis The EmpreyanPosts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    Wow i feel like such an illiterate

    longest book I read was about 400 pages.. How long does it take you to finish a book with 1000+ pages?

    It depends the type set, size of the font, your vocabulary, the language used, (Shakespeare or the King James version might be a harder to read because of the Middle English. Some people say Iceberg Slim's Pimp is hard to read because of street slang being used.)

    You also have to factor in the intended audience, your interest in the subject, and how much and how fast you read. It took me about six weeks to read War and Peace.






    Oakland+Athletics+1200.jpg

    “There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens.”―Tommy Lasorda
    Ajackson17
  • Arya TsaddiqArya Tsaddiq Shalawam The Daughter of BabylonPosts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Bible

    Fountainhead by Ayn Rand
  • DarcSkiesDarcSkies TRUST IN ALLAH BUT TIE UP YOUR CAMEL Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Executive Orders by Tom Clancy lol
    http://darcskies.tumblr.com/

    LATEST SUBJECTS: ***NEW PHOTOGRAPHY POST****

    NEXT SUBJECT: The slow destruction of the gaming industry.

    irNe3jt.gif
  • janklowjanklow god's lonely man. Posts: 8,575 Regulator
    get back to me when you're all about that Gulag Archepelago (which in total clocks in at something like 1814 pages of pure depression)
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I refuse to read Moby Dick though.
    there's no logical reason for this, Moby Dick is excellent
    Maximus Rex
  • A.J. TrillzynskiA.J. Trillzynski the IC's Patrick BatemanPosts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    1,138 pages

    IT+cover.jpg

    GOAT horror novel
    1282364369474.gif
    SionLUClEN
  • MissKMissK #Lurkerlivesmatter FuckyouIcontribute Behind a DeskPosts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    Wow i feel like such an illiterateg

    longest book I read was about 400 pages.. How long does it take you to finish a book with 1000+ pages?

    Agree with Maximus, lots of variables but it can be done in as little as a week if it's for my interests. Much longer for required reading or if the text needs a lot of translation.
    "Sometimes people don't notice the things we do for them until we stop doing them"
  • CymicaldaneCymicaldane The Danish OG Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    War and peace. Longer than average
    in the name of the rose 800 pages
    The one and only truly original Danish poster on the IC
    a-tribe-called-quest-o.gif GIFSoup
  • MissKMissK #Lurkerlivesmatter FuckyouIcontribute Behind a DeskPosts: 4,103 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1,138 pages

    IT+cover.jpg

    GOAT horror novel

    This book scared the shit out of me when I was younger!
    That and Christine

    "Sometimes people don't notice the things we do for them until we stop doing them"
    Sion
  • Maximus RexMaximus Rex Pulchritudo in Conspectu Regis The EmpreyanPosts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    janklow wrote: »
    get back to me when you're all about that Gulag Archepelago (which in total clocks in at something like 1814 pages of pure depression)

    I read the arbridged version. The Soviets were savage with that gulag system.
    Oakland+Athletics+1200.jpg

    “There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens.”―Tommy Lasorda
  • janklowjanklow god's lonely man. Posts: 8,575 Regulator
    1,138 pagesGOAT horror novel
    not even his best work
    I read the arbridged version. The Soviets were savage with that gulag system.
    i am not sure what's clipped out for the abridged version, but the full read is very good if you have the time
  • PlutarchPlutarch A Tribe Called Fresh Philly, PA, by way of Ca$hville, TNPosts: 3,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    love the horror genre, might check out IT. The scariest I read was the Goosebumps series, and that was when I was a kid. Has anyone read The Road? Was that good?
    janklow wrote: »
    get back to me when you're all about that Gulag Archepelago (which in total clocks in at something like 1814 pages of pure depression)
    Plutarch wrote: »
    I refuse to read Moby Dick though.
    there's no logical reason for this, Moby Dick is excellent

    alright, if you say so. but isn't that book like a gazillion x bazillion pages long?
    LUClEN
  • A.J. TrillzynskiA.J. Trillzynski the IC's Patrick BatemanPosts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    janklow wrote: »
    1,138 pagesGOAT horror novel
    not even his best work

    your opinion of course but the truth is a large consensus of fans agree that It is Stephen King's best novel, usually between It and The Stand (which I'm not much of a fan of). let me know exactly what you recommend as his best though. I've read most of his stuff and my top 5 novels are The Shining, 'Salem's Lot, Cujo, Pet Semetary and It.
    1282364369474.gif
  • Little JJLittle JJ Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭✭
    The first Harry Potter
    I Run ATLANTA!
    ic50.jpg
    I am one of Atlanta's TOP Club Promoters!
    Melqart
  • janklowjanklow god's lonely man. Posts: 8,575 Regulator
    Plutarch wrote: »
    alright, if you say so. but isn't that book like a gazillion x bazillion pages long?
    [/quote]checking my copy, it claims 479 pages, well below what we've been discussing in this thread.
    your opinion of course but the truth is a large consensus of fans agree that It is Stephen King's best novel, usually between It and The Stand
    number one, this is not so much "the truth" as YOUR opinion, of course. but if we're talking anecdotal evidence, the average person i ask is likely to tell me his best work is either 'Salem's Lot or the Shining. i vote for the former, but the fact is these books are ALL among his most revered novels (i am including IT and the Stand in this, let's be clear) and i guarantee you do find many, many fans who give the top vote to IT.
    Maximus Rex
  • waterproofwaterproof Conqueror of Self On The Road to ZionPosts: 9,404 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches of Martin Luther King, Jr - 736 pages
    Your best rapper saying 'YES, MASSA', when they beat 'em - HELL RAZAH


    tumblr_molvoods6A1qeow5po1_500.jpg
    Maximus Rex
  • Maximus RexMaximus Rex Pulchritudo in Conspectu Regis The EmpreyanPosts: 6,355 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    janklow wrote: »
    Plutarch wrote: »
    alright, if you say so. but isn't that book like a gazillion x bazillion pages long?
    checking my copy, it claims 479 pages, well below what we've been discussing in this thread.[/quote]
    your opinion of course but the truth is a large consensus of fans agree that It is Stephen King's best novel, usually between It and The Stand
    number one, this is not so much "the truth" as YOUR opinion, of course. but if we're talking anecdotal evidence, the average person i ask is likely to tell me his best work is either 'Salem's Lot or the Shining. i vote for the former, but the fact is these books are ALL among his most revered novels (i am including IT and the Stand in this, let's be clear) and i guarantee you do find many, many fans who give the top vote to IT.

    First of all, excuse me for accidently hitting the wack button. Why don't y'all start a thread with a poll attached?
    Oakland+Athletics+1200.jpg

    “There are three types of baseball players: those who make it happen, those who watch it happen, and those who wonder what happens.”―Tommy Lasorda
  • A.J. TrillzynskiA.J. Trillzynski the IC's Patrick BatemanPosts: 2,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2012
    janklow wrote: »
    number one, this is not so much "the truth" as YOUR opinion, of course. but if we're talking anecdotal evidence, the average person i ask is likely to tell me his best work is either 'Salem's Lot or the Shining. i vote for the former, but the fact is these books are ALL among his most revered novels (i am including IT and the Stand in this, let's be clear) and i guarantee you do find many, many fans who give the top vote to IT.

    well, the point I was trying to make was that it was not my opinion but rather the general popular consensus among Stephen King readers and of course I did base that on anecdotal evidence. for example, here's a list of the top 5 rated Stephen King books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Top-Rated-Stephen-King-Books/lm/305FAHG2ZQ051 as you can see The Stand is #1 and It is #2. Since I don't really count The Stand as a proper horror novel then that is sufficient evidence for It being his best horror novel by popular consensus.

    Here's a respectable and comprehensive ranking of all Stephen King books: http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/ranking-all-62-stephen-king-books.html#photo=12x00013 It is rated #3 with On Writing as #2 (non-fiction) and The Stand as #1 (again, not really a horror to me, but as I said in my original post it's always usually between It and The Stand).

    The Shining is fuckin great I just gave it a re-read about a month ago so I can see it also getting the GOAT title.. I could give it to any of my top 5 though (to me Pet Semetary is more creepy than The Shining and Cujo edges it out in pure terror) but if I had to choose I'm going with It every time since it has more scares per volume then any other novel.
    1282364369474.gif
  • SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Posts: 45,019 Regulator
    janklow wrote: »
    number one, this is not so much "the truth" as YOUR opinion, of course. but if we're talking anecdotal evidence, the average person i ask is likely to tell me his best work is either 'Salem's Lot or the Shining. i vote for the former, but the fact is these books are ALL among his most revered novels (i am including IT and the Stand in this, let's be clear) and i guarantee you do find many, many fans who give the top vote to IT.

    well, the point I was trying to make was that it was not my opinion but rather the general popular consensus among Stephen King readers and of course I did base that on anecdotal evidence. for example, here's a list of the top 5 rated Stephen King books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Top-Rated-Stephen-King-Books/lm/305FAHG2ZQ051 as you can see The Stand is #1 and It is #2. Since I don't really count The Stand as a proper horror novel then that is sufficient evidence for It being his best horror novel by popular consensus.

    Here's a respectable and comprehensive ranking of all Stephen King books: http://www.vulture.com/2012/04/ranking-all-62-stephen-king-books.html#photo=12x00013 It is rated #3 with On Writing as #2 (non-fiction) and The Stand as #1 (again, not really a horror to me, but as I said in my original post it's always usually between It and The Stand).

    The Shining is fuckin great I just gave it a re-read about a month ago so I can see it also getting the GOAT title.. I could give it to any of my top 5 though (to me Pet Semetary is more creepy than The Shining and Cujo edges it out in pure terror) but if I had to choose I'm going with It every time since it has more scares per volume then any other novel.

    @ the bolded.... man if only they made Gage's death as gruesome as they did in the books. They shoulda put Jud's cheating wife in there too LOL. I loved the movie but got dayum I hate when they cut certain shit out of the movie that's in the books.
    IC Moderator and AHH Editor

    http://community.allhiphop.com/categories/site-help

    ^^^ If you need anything go here

    jono wrote: »
    This is the folly of the internet. Its become a bastion of misinformation, rumors, conspiracies and propaganda. A place where a person with no face or name can make accusations at any time with no verification or credentials and brainwash a small segment of people.
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    Message to the trills of the IC: May Legion Of Trill be your enemies downfall
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.