What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Substantial - Jackin' Jill (2013) Dropping 9th April... 17 TRACKS FOR FREE!

RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
558065_10151285162110771_1381045013_n.jpg
Artwork by Substantial

Mello Music Group are back at it, again! Another release that's 2 years in the making, Substantial remixing Jill Scott!

Here's a quote from MMG's site:
MMG wrote:
Back in 2011 Baltimore emcee Substantial was facing the possibility of cancer. He ended up having preventive surgery and while laid up, decided to start working on a tribute album to Jill Scott, one of his biggest influences. It was his was of staying busy while healing, and at the same time to give the people their roses while they can still smell them. The result is a free project Substantial calls "Jackin' Jill" - a tribute project from Substantial built by "Jackin" music from various Jill Scott releases. This collection of reworks and remixes of her work blended by DJ Jav form a cohesive pseudo collaboration focused on life, love & music.

Today, as Substantial heads back into the doctor's for a follow up examine 2 years later, we are unveiling the cover art (drawn by Substantial himself) from the 17 track project, plus a taste of what's to come with the track "Golden Lady" a reworking of the amazing Stevie Wonder track from "Innervisions" that Substantial uses to play off the track Golden from Jill Scott's Beautifully Human album (the last song Kool Herc played at Substantial's wedding). Substantial adds to this Marcus D produced tribute track the gorgeous vocals of Steph The Sappic Songstress. Be sure to listen to Marcus D on piano throughout as well. The result is a richly layered, beautiful new track from one of Baltimore's most thoughtful and talented artists, Substantial.

Here's the song that's getting people amped for the release:

Substantial Feat. Steph the Sapphic Songstress - Golden Lady.

I'm a fan of Substantial, particularly when he's over mellow beats. My favourite track of his is Eclipse with Nujabes. Hopefully this album release will come from a place of creativity considering he had a cancer scare before recording it.

Comments

  • achewon87
    achewon87 Mash Out Posse Survivor Series '97Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff...

    Just copped the John Legend & Roots album, this would go along great with it...
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    achewon87 wrote: »
    Great stuff...

    Just copped the John Legend & Roots album, this would go along great with it...

    That LP was nice, what you make of it?
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Mash Out Posse Survivor Series '97Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    achewon87 wrote: »
    Great stuff...

    Just copped the John Legend & Roots album, this would go along great with it...

    That LP was nice, what you make of it?

    Been loving it, it was actually cool to hear some singing that was not all about women or love...

    The production is on point too...but it's The Roots so it's to be expected...

    Still haven't found the time to listen to this project yet...too much Action Bronson lately..lol
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    achewon87 wrote: »
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    achewon87 wrote: »
    Great stuff...

    Just copped the John Legend & Roots album, this would go along great with it...

    That LP was nice, what you make of it?

    Been loving it, it was actually cool to hear some singing that was not all about women or love...

    The production is on point too...but it's The Roots so it's to be expected...

    Still haven't found the time to listen to this project yet...too much Action Bronson lately..lol

    Hahaha I've never been a massive Bronson head, this project is ill though. Probably one of my favourites from Substantial.

    Yeah, this album is great, but I haven't listened to it in a while, going to put it on now :tu I don't think that it was as big as it should have been.