What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

The Jackson Siblings: 2001

rip.dillarip.dilla ... push up the fader... bust the meter... shake the tweeter Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in R&B & Alternatives
. . 2001, a lovely year I recall for music and life in general


51OeVDa7znL._SL500_.jpg

Released in April of 2001, it went straight to #1 on the Billboard charts


It was wholly produced by the Flyte Tyme duo of Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis. The sound on this album was sonic, atmospheric and slightly on the abstract tip; one song meshing into another.

There's like a section of just erotic songs early into the album that just flow into each other and on one of them, a simulated sound of her 'fucking'

All in all this is one of my favourite albums from Janet . .


51M2mJM-9EL._SL500_.jpg

Released in October of 2001, this is MJ's last studio album which went on record to become allegedly the most expensive ever recorded (estimates put it at $25 million at the time)

There were also tales of tinkering and rehashing of songs, numerous cuts and mixing etc with Mike being a perfectionist/control freak .. .

I really listened to it in its entirety in 2002 and then I thought it was OK. It sounded a bit modern to anything I'd heard off Mike


I re-copped it this week and listened to it this morning, with a mature ear and over a decade later I have to say its a well produced and arranged album. Producers included the cream of RnB producers: Teddy Riley, BabyFace, Rodney Jerkins, R. Kelly and Andre Harris

The album sadly didn't do well commercially because Mike's personal image was already tarnished with child molestation allegations.


So which do you guys choose as the better album overall? Lyrics, production, song-writing and arrangement?

The Jackson Siblings: 2001 6 votes

All For You
50%
rip.dillafocusWonder Girl 3 votes
Invincible
50%
buttuh_bsouth4lifeCashmoneyDux 3 votes
... always immediately go for my boobs ... She feelin me up like "are those your nipples?" I'm like "don't touch there. my money is there." So she's running my hips and thighs ...

Westie wrote: »
Lol what is cunting?

Lol i like it. I am cunting.





buttuh_b

Replies

  • south4lifesouth4life Bama Repesenta! Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invincible
    I loved Invincible and it was a slept on album.
    Heaven Can Wait, Break of Dawn, You Rock My World, Butterflies, Speechless, You Are My Life, Don't Walk Away, Cry and Whatever Happens are my favorite songs on the album.
    MY SQUADS

    MIAMI HEAT - 2006, 2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
    NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - 2010 XLIV Super Bowl Champions
    ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE - 2010, 2012 & 2013 BCS National Champions, 2015 CFB Champions

    rip.dilla
  • buttuh_bbuttuh_b Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invincible
    Fuck, this is too hard. I'm gonna have to think about this one. At the time I didn't even appreciate Janet like that but I was really into Mike. You Rock My World was a monster single! You had records like Break of Dawn, Butterflies, Heaven Can Wait, etc.. Michael showed out and still had it vocally on tracks like Speechless. Really Mike didn't lose a step on this album although it might have been a little filler.

    All For You is probably a top 3 Janet album and that's saying a lot coming from one of the GOAT discographies. This album is solid top to bottom. It produced the epic "Would You Mind" that she has the goat stage performance to. This album was just real sexy down to all the rain drops. The self-titled All For You song was blazing the radio in 2001. I remember it like yesterday.

    Damn 2001 was a great year in my life along with 1998 and 2005. This makes me miss Michael.
    BUTTUH B - 2013 REASON DEBATES VI CHAMPION

    Lakers, Eagles, Mets, Capitals, Buckeyes (CFB), Bruins, (CBB), War Rigondeaux, War Crawford!
    #VegasLight #SwagShow #PopeyesHive
    rip.dilla
  • buttuh_bbuttuh_b Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invincible
    I thought about it comprehensively and ima have to go with Invincible. The production/arrangement was more detailed and like you said Mike was a perfectionist and it shows in his work.

    I may be biased because I'm a MJ Stan. Only entertainer I ever choked someone out over before. But Janet is probably may favorite female singer ironically.. Along with Sade and Nina Simone.
    BUTTUH B - 2013 REASON DEBATES VI CHAMPION

    Lakers, Eagles, Mets, Capitals, Buckeyes (CFB), Bruins, (CBB), War Rigondeaux, War Crawford!
    #VegasLight #SwagShow #PopeyesHive
    rip.dilla
  • rip.dillarip.dilla ... push up the fader... bust the meter... shake the tweeter Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All For You
    LOL

    My favourite joint off Invincible is 'Butterflies' produced by the maestro behind A Touch Of Jazz, the Philly production outfit run by Andre Harris, which kinda influenced that 'Neo-Soul' sound of the late 90 to early '00s and the dude responsible for Jill Scott's brilliant debut . .

    (There was a remix featuring Eve, the rapper)


    It was written by Marsha Ambrocious (she does back-up vocals on the song) and she re-recorded it on her last LP as a tribute
    ... always immediately go for my boobs ... She feelin me up like "are those your nipples?" I'm like "don't touch there. my money is there." So she's running my hips and thighs ...

    Westie wrote: »
    Lol what is cunting?

    Lol i like it. I am cunting.





    buttuh_b
  • buttuh_bbuttuh_b Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invincible
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LOL

    My favourite joint off Invincible is 'Butterflies' produced by the maestro behind A Touch Of Jazz, the Philly production outfit run by Andre Harris, which kinda influenced that 'Neo-Soul' sound of the late 90 to early '00s and the dude responsible for Jill Scott's brilliant debut . .

    (There was a remix featuring Eve, the rapper)


    It was written by Marsha Ambrocious (she does back-up vocals on the song) and she re-recorded it on her last LP as a tribute

    Marsha wrote Butterflies?!? Damn, I heard it on her last album but I never knew that.

    Funny story about that song. I was chillin with my close home girl one time and I was skyping this one skeezer (my homegirl wasnt in camera view) so I told shorty on Skype like "Yo it's a song that reminds me of you".. She's like what song.. I said "Butterflies". She said whose that by?? I said "The King of Pop".. she said 'Jason Derulo???'

    Me and my home girl was dying laughing.
    BUTTUH B - 2013 REASON DEBATES VI CHAMPION

    Lakers, Eagles, Mets, Capitals, Buckeyes (CFB), Bruins, (CBB), War Rigondeaux, War Crawford!
    #VegasLight #SwagShow #PopeyesHive
    rip.dilla
  • rip.dillarip.dilla ... push up the fader... bust the meter... shake the tweeter Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All For You
    LMAO


    This generation . .
    ... always immediately go for my boobs ... She feelin me up like "are those your nipples?" I'm like "don't touch there. my money is there." So she's running my hips and thighs ...

    Westie wrote: »
    Lol what is cunting?

    Lol i like it. I am cunting.





  • south4lifesouth4life Bama Repesenta! Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Invincible
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LOL

    My favourite joint off Invincible is 'Butterflies' produced by the maestro behind A Touch Of Jazz, the Philly production outfit run by Andre Harris, which kinda influenced that 'Neo-Soul' sound of the late 90 to early '00s and the dude responsible for Jill Scott's brilliant debut . .

    (There was a remix featuring Eve, the rapper)


    It was written by Marsha Ambrocious (she does back-up vocals on the song) and she re-recorded it on her last LP as a tribute

    Marsha wrote Butterflies?!? Damn, I heard it on her last album but I never knew that.

    Funny story about that song. I was chillin with my close home girl one time and I was skyping this one skeezer (my homegirl wasnt in camera view) so I told shorty on Skype like "Yo it's a song that reminds me of you".. She's like what song.. I said "Butterflies". She said whose that by?? I said "The King of Pop".. she said 'Jason Derulo???'

    Me and my home girl was dying laughing.

    Yeah the original Butterflies was by Marsha and she killed it, MJ liked the song and asked could he record it, like how Luther and Anita Baker redo other artists songs but, put their twist on it and he did his thing on it too, I like both version's here is Marsha's version by herself.

    MY SQUADS

    MIAMI HEAT - 2006, 2012 & 2013 NBA Champions
    NEW ORLEANS SAINTS - 2010 XLIV Super Bowl Champions
    ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE - 2010, 2012 & 2013 BCS National Champions, 2015 CFB Champions

    rip.dillaSplackavelli
  • SplackavelliSplackavelli I'll getchu bitch!!! Somewhere drunk off my ass.Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ that's tight I didn't know marsha ambrose/floetry originated butterflies. both versions are good I like mj's version better because of the horns.
    south4life
Sign In or Register to comment.