What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Big daddy Kane or Rakim ?

lookdude
lookdude Members Posts: 16,646 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in The Reason

Big daddy Kane or Rakim ? 46 votes

Big daddy Kane
36%
thedesolateoneherbalism101nillerthekidnohiphop1YamoleySenseiBDBIIDHarlemThumzUplookdudevslykeFyHunnittrilladelicHyenaKillaSheerExcellenceelementalPohhhlarell e. rellbck145 17 votes
Rakim
63%
buttuh_bex-soldierwhite715700gman82KINGECCoolJoegrumpy_new_yorkerCigarello Slimits....JOHN BDisciplined InSight[Deleted User]_Menace_DMTxTHCOGClarenceBoddickersavagekTrigga TCashmoneyDux32DaysOfInfinitiAnd_So_It_Burns 29 votes

Comments

• DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rakim
    Rakim has the better catalogue imo, so I'm rolling with him..

Paid In Full - classic..
    Follow the Leader - classic..
    Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em - classic; their best album..
    Don't Sweat the Technique - near-classic; 8.5/10..
  • vslyke
    vslyke Members Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Big daddy Kane
    Big Daddy Kane has done more with less support than Rakim. Rakim always had A list producers, most of Kane's albums were largely self produced. Both are legends tho
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • buttuh_b
    Rakim
    vslyke wrote: »
    Big Daddy Kane has done more with less support than Rakim. Rakim always had A list producers, most of Kane's albums were largely self produced. Both are legends tho

Rakim produced most of his own 🤬 too, just wasn't credited for it. Ask MC Shan about Marley Marl and Eric B.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big daddy Kane
    They both were lyrically equal, but Kane had that "it" factor and was way more energetic on the mic than Rakim who usually came across as dull to me. (No wonder Nas idolizes this guy)
  • HarlemThumzUp
    HarlemThumzUp Members Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big daddy Kane
    i picked Kane but Rakim beats were way harder
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rakim
    Rakim has the better catalogue imo, so I'm rolling with him..

Paid In Full - classic..
    Follow the Leader - classic..
    Let the Rhythm Hit 'Em - classic; their best album..
    Don't Sweat the Technique - near-classic; 8.5/10..
    This, and also because hes one of my top faves
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ R.I.P KOBE Bay Area Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rakim
    Rakim in my top 5.

Better Rhymes
    Better Career
    Better Albums

RAKIM ALLAH
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big daddy Kane
    Big Daddy Kane is my favorite rapper of all time.

He influence Jay-Z very much and his multi, flows, punches and underrated subject matters

Is the reason.

I feel that most hip hop respect him but really thinks he isn't that good.

He's very underappreciated by people my age and younger.

It is crazy but whatever
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence I'm Faceless Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Big daddy Kane
    ohhhla wrote: »
    Big Daddy Kane is my favorite rapper of all time.

He influence Jay-Z very much and his multi, flows, punches and underrated subject matters

Is the reason.

I feel that most hip hop respect him but really thinks he isn't that good.

He's very underappreciated by people my age and younger.

It is crazy but whatever

i agree 100%
    rakim has the better catalog, but in terms of overall flow and swag and style. big daddy kane birthed all these 🤬 . everyone from jay-z to cam'ron to biggie to even modern day cats, have big daddy kanes blueprint.
    the whole over the top bragging and smooth getting money getting ladies, staying fly, and rapping your ass off and punchlines and flows and multis
    BDK was doing that 🤬 first
    in terms of a comprehensive package
    outside of obviously nas and jay electornica, i'm not to sure how many ppl really ran with that rakim style
    i think BDK influence much more broader

and yes jay-z is essentially bdk 2.0
  • ohhhla
    Big daddy Kane
    Rakim took a hiatus for 5yrs and Kane put out an year almost every year or every two years.

It is funny that there is at least 40 rappers better than Kane according to hip hop heads.

Now, I think Kane is the perfect emcee but Rakim was the better artist and had better songs.
  • rell e. rell
    rell e. rell Members Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    Big daddy Kane
    kane...no, wait...rakim! hold on, kane...naw, wait rakim
  • bck145
    bck145 East CoastMembers Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big daddy Kane
    big daddy kane

rakim is a better lyracist but it's close....as the young kids would say bdk has more swag as a whole

after seeing him at rock the bells last year i think big daddy kane really has or had that "it" factor and rakim is just a bit boring
  • ohhhla
    Big daddy Kane
    Rakim ain't boring.

But he does have better lyrical content than Kane

As lyricism it can go either way
  • DMTxTHC
    DMTxTHC Members Posts: 14,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Rakim
    Rakim took a hiatus for 5yrs and Kane put out an year almost every year or every two years.
    Don't Sweat the Technique - 1992..

*5 year hiatus*..

The 18th Letter - 1997..

Daddy's Home - 1994..

*4 year hiatus*..

Veteran'z Day - 1998..

Not only did Rakim only take an extra year off, but he dropped The Master in 1999, whereas BDK ain't drop an album since 1998.. Ra also had some features in the early 2000s (e.g. The Watcher Pt. 2 by Jigga) and eventually dropped The Seventh Seal in 2009..

Now that I think about it, has BDK even been featured on a record since Platinum Plus by Big L (2000)?..
  • vslyke
    vslyke Members Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Big daddy Kane
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    vslyke wrote: »

Rakim produced most of his own 🤬 too, just wasn't credited for it. Ask MC Shan about Marley Marl and Eric B.

Marley Marl did a bunch of the 1st album, and Large Pro did a ton of the 3rd album. Paul C also helped on a lot of the early stuff too.
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big daddy Kane
    Long live the Kane
  • Trigga T
    Trigga T Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    Rakim
    William Griffin the great.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rakim
    Rakim the lyricist
  • buttuh_b
    Rakim
    bck145 wrote: »
    big daddy kane

rakim is a better lyracist but it's close....as the young kids would say bdk has more swag as a whole

after seeing him at rock the bells last year i think big daddy kane really has or had that "it" factor and rakim is just a bit boring

Saw Kane at RTB last year too. It was an amazing performance. Even the shorty I was with enjoyed it.
  • bck145
    bck145 East CoastMembers Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big daddy Kane
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    bck145 wrote: »
    big daddy kane

Saw Kane at RTB last year too. It was an amazing performance. Even the shorty I was with enjoyed it.

same here, she didn't really even know who he was and only wanted to see bone thugs....she was boppin her heads the whole time
  • white715
    white715 Members Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rakim
    Rakim changed the game, you can see a clear shift in rap after Paid in Full came out.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight The Clairvoyant One.... Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rakim
    Rakim was ahead of his time. Thirty years later, 🤬 are still catching up thinking they've created new styles of flows and rhyme patterns when Ra already did 'em.
  • lethal5
    lethal5 Members Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ra might get him on wax, But if they ever had a live battle.....Kanes flow is to ferocious for Ra's slow flow. The crowd likes action, and Kane's flow is too action packed.
  • ohhhla
    Big daddy Kane
    Don't Sweat the Technique - 1992..

*5 year hiatus*..

The 18th Letter - 1997..

Daddy's Home - 1994..

*4 year hiatus*..

Veteran'z Day - 1998..

Not only did Rakim only take an extra year off, but he dropped The Master in 1999, whereas BDK ain't drop an album since 1998.. Ra also had some features in the early 2000s (e.g. The Watcher Pt. 2 by Jigga) and eventually dropped The Seventh Seal in 2009..

Now that I think about it, has BDK even been featured on a record since Platinum Plus by Big L (2000)?..

Like the rest of the I.C. and Hip Hop world.

Unless you were born from '83 and up. I expect you to say this about Kane.

But Kane still raps and rips verses like he was 19-20yrs old.

The Cormega album from '09

i CAN UNDERSTAND if you say Rakim is better. This is true.

But 🤬 leaving him out of their top 40 are insane, imo.