What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

question for my comic heads..

StoneColdMikey
StoneColdMikey mikeyismodCHITOWN THE BEST TOWNMembers, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
Whovare the equivalent of superman and batman in terms of popularity in marvel? Spiderman? I think but who else.
«1

Comments

  • dakidfrankie
    dakidfrankie 313/248 Members Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would guess as a character and work well together Captain America and Thor...popular wise I would say SpiderMan and Ironman
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Before DC started killin' 🤬 with the animated movies and before the Nolan trilogy, I'd say it was Spidey > Bats in terms of popularity.

    Marvel have no one else who matches Supes and Bats. Maybe the Hulk.

  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey mikeyismod CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNMembers, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    I don't think ironman I heard he wasn't even that popular until the movies. Well until Robert Downey
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey mikeyismod CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNMembers, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    I don't think ironman I heard he wasn't even that popular until the movies. Well until Robert Downey
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I never gave a 🤬 about Iron Man until the movies. At least with Spiderman, Hulk, X-Men and Fantastic 4 you kinda just know em from childhood
  • Batman.
    Batman. Members Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Deadpool and Cable.

    Spiderman and Wolverine.

    Ironman and War Machine.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Prob Spiderman and Hulk

    ironman or Caps could prob be changed with Hulk.

    and after those names Thor and Wolverine usually comes up.



  • Dupac
    Dupac Retired PurgatoryMembers, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    spiderman wolverine hulk
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey mikeyismod CHITOWN THE BEST TOWNMembers, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Damn thing is batman and supes vs any of those guys and worlds finest wins every time
  • Ghost Leopard
    Ghost Leopard Members Posts: 933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say captain america and thor.

    Maybe spiderman and wolverine but captain america and thor on the strength of public recognition.


    🤬 will claim to have never read a comic in their life but they know who batman and superman are they will know their origins too.

    Change my vote to captain america and spiderman.
  • I Am Him
    I Am Him Members Posts: 261 ✭✭✭
    easily spidey and wolverine. i knew people who called wolverine "x-man". I'm not sure that marvel just relies on two or three characters though. i think they have tried to make it more of a group effort. right now, they don't have any main character that is not on a team. if dc's big three is bats, supes, and ww, then marvel's would be x-men, avengers, and ff.
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Spiderman and the Hulk
  • Broddie
    Broddie just me and my bitch NYCMembers Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Spider-Man and Wolverine hands down.

    Hulk doesn't even have a fraction of the popularity that Wolverine has today. Ironic since Wolverine debuted in a Hulk comic book.
  • Broddie
    Broddie just me and my bitch NYCMembers Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I Am Him wrote: »
    easily spidey and wolverine. i knew people who called wolverine "x-man". I'm not sure that marvel just relies on two or three characters though. i think they have tried to make it more of a group effort. right now, they don't have any main character that is not on a team. if dc's big three is bats, supes, and ww, then marvel's would be x-men, avengers, and ff.

    Marvel's biggest IP's are Spider-Man, X-Men and now The Avengers in that order. As much as I love the FF they've never come close to achieving the level of popularity the other 3 IP's have reached.

  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Broddie wrote: »
    Spider-Man and Wolverine hands down.

    Hulk doesn't even have a fraction of the popularity that Wolverine has today. Ironic since Wolverine debuted in a Hulk comic book.

    idk about that..i'm sure more people will know who the Hulk is moreso than Wolverine..Wolverine is popular amongst comic heads. the Hulk is just popular period. Everyone knows who he is. He had movies and tv shows before Marvel became mainstream, same with Spidey
  • Broddie
    Broddie just me and my bitch NYCMembers Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaxn wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    Spider-Man and Wolverine hands down.

    Hulk doesn't even have a fraction of the popularity that Wolverine has today. Ironic since Wolverine debuted in a Hulk comic book.

    idk about that..i'm sure more people will know who the Hulk is moreso than Wolverine..Wolverine is popular amongst comic heads. the Hulk is just popular period. Everyone knows who he is. He had movies and tv shows before Marvel became mainstream, same with Spidey

    Wolverine has starred in 4 movies that all grossed over 300 million dollars worldwide and has another movie dropping this summer and will be the main star in yet another one next summer. The majority of the people who watched and will watch those movies are members of the general audience and not comic book fans. To these people Wolverine is the real protagonist of the X-Men stories when non-casual comic book fans know that is not the case.

    Even setting aside media adaptations and just looking within the comic book industry Wolverine has prominent roles in 4 major Marvel ongoings right now (All-New X-Men, Wolverine and the X-Men, Wolverine, Uncanny Avengers) and always has a spin off book on the market (Ie: Old Man Logan, Wolverine Origins and right now at the moment Savage Wolverine). Wolverine surpassed Hulk in terms of popularity a long time ago and I like The Hulk way more than I do Wolverine. Hell Wolverine isn't even in my top 15 X-Men characters but facts are facts.
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    again, ask any random person in the street who is the Hulk and who is the Wolverine? 10/10 folks will know who the Hulk is before knowing Wolverine..it really doesn't matter how many current movies Wolverine has been in. People who know nothing about the dynamics of comics will know who the Hulk is, but they won't have a clue about Wolverine..I imagine that's what the t/s was hinting at.. The Hulk has been in movies and tv shows focusing entirely on him for many decades now. Not to mention his own two current movies and his prominent role in the Avengers. I can't say that Wolverine has ever surpassed the Hulk in popularity. He's just one of Marvel's favorites. He's in every book to the point folks are tired of seeing him. He's definitly the most popular Xman.
  • Broddie
    Broddie just me and my bitch NYCMembers Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Characters that aren't overtly popular with the general audience won't get even 1 spin off movie let alone 2. Also all the X-Men movies featuring Wolverine as a prominent character have greatly surpassed both Hulk live action movies not just at the box office but in home video sales and rentals as well. It's a case of you seeing what you want to see and not accepting reality if you honestly think random people walking in the street don't know who Wolverine is.
  • Broddie
    Broddie just me and my bitch NYCMembers Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hell one of the conceits of The Avengers movie was finally having a version of The Hulk that actually connected with the general audience. If we were talking about the late 80's and early 90's I'd say The Hulk is easily their most popular character outside of Spidey with the general audience. But since the massive popularity of the X-Men animated series from the early 90's as well as his features in million selling video games since the 90's and his eventual leading man role in the X-Men movie in 2000 Wolverine has been a far more prominent character in pop culture than the Hulk has been.
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Broddie wrote: »
    Characters that aren't overtly popular with the general audience won't get even 1 spin off movie let alone
    Is that why Blade had 3 movies? and I did say Logan was the most popular X character
    2. Also all the X-Men movies featuring Wolverine as a prominent character have greatly surpassed both Hulk live action movies not just at the box office but in home video sales and rentals as well.

    All the X-men movies had entire casts of prominent characters and actors playing those characters (Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, etc...) which added into its popularity..not to mention X-men, along with Blade kicked off the Marvel Movie verse era, so i'm not surprised by their sales..and lets just be honest here, the Hulk movies weren't all that good, but that doesn't take away from the Hulk's popularity. It just says Marvel didn't put together a good movie for the Hulk, which can be said about some of their other characters.
    It's a case of you seeing what you want to see and not accepting reality if you honestly think random people walking in the street don't know who Wolverine is.

    I said random folks would know who the Hulk is before knowing who Wolverine is, which is pretty much the premise of the thread..Folks who know nothing about comics know who Batman and Superman are..you can't say the same about Wolverine..your parents know who Supes/Bats are without you having to explain to them who they are or by using a character to define them..
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    In other of most popular in Marvels history not just now days

    Spiderman
    Hulk
    Ironman/Caps
    Wolverine



    with that said aint none of them as worldwide popular as Bats and Superman their Logos are known by 🤬 ppl who dont even read comics....Spidey is close but not there yet
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Broddie wrote: »
    Hell one of the conceits of The Avengers movie was finally having a version of The Hulk that actually connected with the general audience.
    where did you get this info? The Hulk in Avengers is a slightly different version from the Incredible Hulk..folks didn't like Ang Lee's Hulk.
    If we were talking about the late 80's and early 90's I'd say The Hulk is easily their most popular character outside of Spidey with the general audience. But since the massive popularity of the X-Men animated series from the early 90's as well as his features in million selling video games since the 90's and his eventual leading man role in the X-Men movie in 2000 Wolverine has been a far more prominent character in pop culture than the Hulk has been.
    Huh? I guess we're going to gloss over Hulk's own animated series, which he has multiple incarnations, in which he's the main and only focus. In fact, aside from the Avengers, the Hulk is the main focus in everything he does. Marvel even went out of its way to boost and push Hulk to even more riduculous levels prior to Marvel Now..Wolverine's only solo shine as far as animation is concerned is Wolverine and the X-men and that stems from the movie verse. The Hulk also has the most popular of all comic to live action roles in the Incredible Hulk series with Bill Bixby that was immensly popular. You're giving Wolverine credit for an entire X-men franchise. Prior to Avengers, X-men was the only franchise were you get to see multiple superheroes in one setting..How popular was the Wolverine Origins nonsense? That movie was hot garbage. I assume this new release will be better since it's trying to adapt from the original work
  • Broddie
    Broddie just me and my bitch NYCMembers Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaxn wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    Characters that aren't overtly popular with the general audience won't get even 1 spin off movie let alone
    Is that why Blade had 3 movies? and I did say Logan was the most popular X character
    2. Also all the X-Men movies featuring Wolverine as a prominent character have greatly surpassed both Hulk live action movies not just at the box office but in home video sales and rentals as well.

    All the X-men movies had entire casts of prominent characters and actors playing those characters (Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, etc...) which added into its popularity..not to mention X-men, along with Blade kicked off the Marvel Movie verse era, so i'm not surprised by their sales..and lets just be honest here, the Hulk movies weren't all that good, but that doesn't take away from the Hulk's popularity. It just says Marvel didn't put together a good movie for the Hulk, which can be said about some of their other characters.
    It's a case of you seeing what you want to see and not accepting reality if you honestly think random people walking in the street don't know who Wolverine is.

    I said random folks would know who the Hulk is before knowing who Wolverine is, which is pretty much the premise of the thread..Folks who know nothing about comics know who Batman and Superman are..you can't say the same about Wolverine..your parents know who Supes/Bats are without you having to explain to them who they are or by using a character to define them..

    My dad is 55 years old never read a comic book in his life and still knows who Wolverine is because unlike me he greatly enjoyed the X-Men movies. Quality has nothing to do with it. X-Men was a mediocre movie, X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine were downright terrible but brand awareness meaning Wolverine's involvement helped them put up the numbers they did. Do you think it's a coincidence that the one X-Men movie without Wolverine in prominent role was the lowest grossing one to date?

    Who got the majority of the screen time in the biggest selling X-Men movies again?!? hell if you need more evidence keep an eye on the opening weekend for The Wolverine which hits theaters this Friday and compare it to the opening weekend of any of the Hulk movies if you'd like.
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Broddie wrote: »
    jaxn wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    Characters that aren't overtly popular with the general audience won't get even 1 spin off movie let alone
    Is that why Blade had 3 movies? and I did say Logan was the most popular X character
    2. Also all the X-Men movies featuring Wolverine as a prominent character have greatly surpassed both Hulk live action movies not just at the box office but in home video sales and rentals as well.

    All the X-men movies had entire casts of prominent characters and actors playing those characters (Halle Berry, Hugh Jackman, etc...) which added into its popularity..not to mention X-men, along with Blade kicked off the Marvel Movie verse era, so i'm not surprised by their sales..and lets just be honest here, the Hulk movies weren't all that good, but that doesn't take away from the Hulk's popularity. It just says Marvel didn't put together a good movie for the Hulk, which can be said about some of their other characters.
    It's a case of you seeing what you want to see and not accepting reality if you honestly think random people walking in the street don't know who Wolverine is.

    I said random folks would know who the Hulk is before knowing who Wolverine is, which is pretty much the premise of the thread..Folks who know nothing about comics know who Batman and Superman are..you can't say the same about Wolverine..your parents know who Supes/Bats are without you having to explain to them who they are or by using a character to define them..
    My dad is 55 years old never read a comic book in his life and still knows who Wolverine is because unlike me he greatly enjoyed the X-Men movies.
    what's the key phrase here? "he greatly enjoyed the X-men movies"...without seeing those X-men movies, would your dad know who Wolverine is? without seeing a movie would your dad know who the Hulk is?
    Quality has nothing to do with it. X-Men was a mediocre movie, X-Men: The Last Stand and X-Men Origins: Wolverine were downright terrible
    Quality does play a role when you began to talk about how well a particular film did in theaters.


    but brand awareness meaning Wolverine's involvement helped them put up the numbers they did. Do you think it's a coincidence that the one X-Men movie without Wolverine in prominent role was the lowest grossing one to date?

    brand awareness? The X-men's involvement as whole is what helped put up those numbers..you know the X-men who had a huge following, not to mention X-men was one of the first Marvel movies in this new era
    Who got the majority of the screen time in the biggest selling X-Men movies again?!?
    I guess i'm not understanding your argument..Yes Wolverine is the most popular X-men. It's like that in the books..that doesn't mean he's more popular than the Hulk..
    hell if you need more evidence keep an eye on the opening weekend for The Wolverine which hits theaters this Friday and compare it to the opening weekend of any of the Hulk movies if you'd like.

    so you're basically comparing star power to determine whose more popular? Hugh Jackman is in it. Alot of people go see his movies. If they went to see Wolverine based off Origins, than it would tank worse than R.I.P.D.
  • Broddie
    Broddie just me and my bitch NYCMembers Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jaxn wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    where did you get this info? The Hulk in Avengers is a slightly different version from the Incredible Hulk..folks didn't like Ang Lee's Hulk.

    It's based on the movie grossing over a billion dollars worldwide and the majority of reviews from not just critics but regular laymen like ourselves proclaiming that that movie finally got the Hulk "right".
    Huh? I guess we're going to gloss over Hulk's own animated series, which he has multiple incarnations, in which he's the main and only focus. In fact, aside from the Avengers, the Hulk is the main focus in everything he does. Marvel even went out of its way to boost and push Hulk to even more riduculous levels prior to Marvel Now..Wolverine's only solo shine as far as animation is concerned is Wolverine and the X-men and that stems from the movie verse. The Hulk also has the most popular of all comic to live action roles in the Incredible Hulk series with Bill Bixby that was immensly popular. You're giving Wolverine credit for an entire X-men franchise. Prior to Avengers, X-men was the only franchise were you get to see multiple superheroes in one setting..How popular was the Wolverine Origins nonsense? That movie was hot garbage. I assume this new release will be better since it's trying to adapt from the original work

    Buddy the majority of the Hulks series including his most popular cartoons were before the 90's that exactly my point. The one cartoon series he had in the 90's lasted one season while X-Men in which Wolverine played one of the top 4 biggest roles lasted five.

    Two things I will point out

    1) I wish people cared about the X-Men as whole more than they do Wolverine.

    2) I was always a big Hulk fan so I wish they loved him that much too.

    Sadly that's not the truth with the general public. Wolverine has connected with them since the 1990's cartoon. One of the biggest reasons the X-Men movie from 2000 popped off in the first place was because so many people enjoyed Wolverine. Hugh Jackman became an instant star when before that he was completely unknown. In the movies he was such a popular selling point that they basically gave him Cyclops' team leader and protagonist role which is why many people call Jackman's character Cyclerine.

    Hell the Phoenix movie storyline had him in Cyclops' position while Cyclops got killed off. The fact that you mention Wolverine & the X-Men tv show further proofs my point. If the X-Men brand on it's own was as popular with the mainstream without Wolverine's association they would've just called the series X-Men: (insert subtitle) and not have his name attached. Hell he wouldn't even have been the central character lol.

    For the sake of argument let me concede one point and say that the Hulk fists and other toys flopped in sales because of being associated with poorly received movies. While Wolverine claws sell so well because of the popularity of the movies and cartoons. If the Hulk is a much more popular and familiar character than Wolverine then why did his last prominent video game sell 0.23m copies while Wolverine's sold 0.41m?

    The Hulk is still popular but he stopped being second banana in terms of mainstream exposure and relevance years ago. A couple of generations went by where he was even being forgotten by comic book fans because his books were selling so poorly. If anything his role in The Avengers was the shot in the arm the character needed. But before that you asked your average 8 year old who they like more they'd side with Wolverine, you ask them who they recognize they'd side with Wolverine. Hell it's arguable that in 2013 Iron Man has become more popular than The Hulk and more of a Marvel mascot to the mainstream.