What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

The Social Lounge Debates - Sex Offenders and Online Registration: pralims vs. Plutarch

SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH EditorMembers, Moderators, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 45,666 Regulator
edited August 2013 in The Social Lounge
Welcome to The Social Lounge Debates. In these debates you will judged based on 3 criteria - Content, Delivery and Fact. There is a word limit of 500 words per round, going over that will result in points being deducted. Additional rules are as follows: You have 3 rounds per debate and a time limit of 24 hours per round to respond. Each debate should take no longer than 3-5 days. If you are to vote please wait until the END of the debate to cast your vote. For spectators, please do not attempt to derail or throw the debaters off topic. This is a friendly debate between @pralims and @Plutarch.


The Debate Question:

"Should sex offenders (this includes everything from 🤬 /sexual assault, 🤬 , sexual harassment, and more) be required to register their internet identifiers for sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and the IC so people online know of their crimes and status ?"


No - Plutarch
YES - pralims

The Social Lounge Debates - Sex Offenders and Online registration: pralims vs. Plutarch 13 votes

NO - Plutarch
46%
Sionthatni99ajahmalBodhiPlutarchLUClENSicky Mouse 6 votes
YES - Pralims
53%
Got Em Shook2stepz_aheadCainNothingButTheTruthVader_F_KennedyTHIRDSUPREMELEMZIMUS_RAMSEY 7 votes
«1

Comments

  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denGuests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - Pralims
    Hello All and welcome.

    I will be defending why sex offenders should register their identifier on social media.

    I would like to say that i think sex offenders should register as offenders on all social sites because of the availability to the masses and new and potential victims. It is no longer just contained to local hoods. they would be able to harrass people thousands of miles away.

    there are parents who are very busy working and use social media to communicate with their kids. Last thing we need is some guy finding his way to a facebook page and planning a meet up when the parent is at work. We all know kids get around the parental setting and create pages with them trying to appear older. but if the offender is automatically identified then the child will know what they about from the jump.

    It's kinda like all sex offenders having a stamp on their forehead. you know to stay away. same should go for facebook and twitter.

    Now while some may say that sometimes people do wrong and it shouldnt be held against them all their life. Sex crimes is something people carry with them all their lives.
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denGuests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - Pralims
    @plutarch

  • PlutarchPlutarch A Tribe Called Fresh Philly, PA, by way of Ca$hville, TNMembers Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO - Plutarch
    Introduction: Hello. I’m Plutarch, and I will be arguing that sex offenders SHOULD NOT be required to register their internet identities for sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and the IC in order to alert people of their crimes and status. I will now simultaneously present some of my supporting arguments and respond to some of my opponent’s arguments.

    1. The internet registry proposed in this debate should not be implemented because it makes the problem worse. Such a registry stigmatizes sex offenders for life. In many ways, released murderers don’t even face the kind of persecution that sex offenders face. My opponent says that sex offenders deserve a permanent stamp on their foreheads and that what they did is carried with them throughout their lives. A “permanent stamp” only makes things worse, and the idea that sex offenders will remain sex offenders isn’t helpful or true; they can be treated. We need to move away from what humans are natural at: persecution and witch-hunting. In Manchester, NH, a mob gathered at the porch of registered sex offender Gloria Huot and burned a scarecrow while chanting intimidatingly (Dornin). Huot was not there, but her roommate and her three kids became the unintentional victims. Once we dehumanize sex offenders, we forget that they are humans with families and friends who might be innocent victims of our persecution. When pictures of the parents of schoolchildren of registered sex offenders were posted on the Internet for a workshop on internet safety for a middle school in New Hampshire, the schoolchildren were traumatized (Dornin), forced to share their parents’ stigma and/or forced to relive the sexual abuse that they suffered at the hands of parents/family members. Internet registry only exacerbates the situation by opening the door for the cyber-bullying of sex offenders and their innocent/victimized family and friends.

    2. The internet registry should not be implemented because such a registry has been and is largely ineffective. Regarding 🤬 , it’s been documented that Megan’s Law (the law that implements neighborhood registry for sex offenders) doesn’t work (Buncher) and only makes things worse. Implementing the internet registry will do just the same. My opponent says that the internet registry will prevent danger posed to new victims on the Internet, but more than 90% of sexual violence is committed by someone whom the child knows (Wetterling). Therefore, a violent sex offender is less likely to be a stranger on the Internet and more likely to be a family member or a friend/acquaintance who already has real (as opposed to online) access to a child. Therefore, in order to stop sex crimes, attention shouldn’t be so focused on the Internet but at the home, workplace, etc.

    3. The internet registry should not be implemented because there are better solutions to the problem of sex crimes. My opponent says that there are children who pretend to be older and meet with older people who believe them, but whose fault is that initially? It’s not the fault of the older people. It’s the fault of the child. More so, it’s the fault of the child’s parent(s). Parents need to take responsibility. They need to raise and educate their children well and use available resources to ensure that their children are responsible and safe. Good parenting and education is a great preventer of various kinds of sex crimes.
    Word Count: 498

    Citations: Buncher, Michael. “Megan’s Law doesn’t work.” http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20100502/OPINION/5020323/1047/opinion?nclick_check=1; Dornin, Chris. “There’s Hope Even for Sex Offenders.” http://www.corrections.com/news/article/30086-there-s-hope-even-for-sex-offenders; Hayden, Maureen. “Court rules state sex offender registry unconstitutional.” http://www.registrationx.net/Blog/?p=716#.UgHw3Xco7IU
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denGuests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - Pralims
    i think the registry will work and I dont believe it will make things worse.

    If a stamp on someones head will make children run in the other direction then those are more people that don't have to be subjected to possible life changing circumstances at the hands of a sick person.

    I think it will also prevent others or make them think twice before they do something because of the branding that will follow them. and if they register on facebook ....they will be subjected to ridicule and no one would want to be friends ...so who the f will they contact? other perverts from 🤬 .

    As far as this being cured. thats 🤬 . alcoholics can stay away from bars and limit exposure to alcohol. how will a sex offender limit himself? he cant. once you have this sickness it's with you and you have nothing but temptation all around you daily if you come out the house. and when you log unto facebook ...its temptation for us regular people...but for perverts it heaven and they need to be monitored.

    plenty of people even admit to flapping to chicks on this site and in illpix. what do you think a perv is gonna do? 🤬 cant get you but so far before you fall back in the predator role to satisfy their thirst. ever thing on the net is about sex or something sex related. so i think having a perv pop up to warn that a perv is watching...should be fair and a warning to others.

    like i stated earlier...kids will lie about their age to seek out older facebook friends....a perv popup will stop them from search or contacting anyone outside of family, female or under 18.

    Honestly....i think they should have to register with their internet provider so everything they do will display they are perverted...

    on the IC....perv popup
    on twitter...perv popup
    on witchcraft....perv popoup when you enter a town or 🤬 a dragon
    youtube...perv popup
    🤬 even stealing music or movies....utorrent perv popup

    sick 🤬 should just be castrated.

    eunuchs never hurt kids.
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denGuests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - Pralims
    @plutarch
  • PlutarchPlutarch A Tribe Called Fresh Philly, PA, by way of Ca$hville, TNMembers Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO - Plutarch
    🤬 man. Ay my bad. I've had some unforeseen preoccupations. I had to pack for Philly, barely make my flight, and get there and run errands all day to get settled in. But it looks like TSA might've 🤬 my laptop up so I'm having CPU problems. Let me see if I can fix this over the weekend. If not I'll just probably have to resign. Nice rebuttal though. I see you.
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denGuests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - Pralims
    Plutarch wrote: »
    🤬 man. Ay my bad. I've had some unforeseen preoccupations. I had to pack for Philly, barely make my flight, and get there and run errands all day to get settled in. But it looks like TSA might've 🤬 my laptop up so I'm having CPU problems. Let me see if I can fix this over the weekend. If not I'll just probably have to resign. Nice rebuttal though. I see you.

    man i from philly. gtown by way of north philly
  • PlutarchPlutarch A Tribe Called Fresh Philly, PA, by way of Ca$hville, TNMembers Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO - Plutarch
    pralims wrote: »
    Plutarch wrote: »
    🤬 man. Ay my bad. I've had some unforeseen preoccupations. I had to pack for Philly, barely make my flight, and get there and run errands all day to get settled in. But it looks like TSA might've 🤬 my laptop up so I'm having CPU problems. Let me see if I can fix this over the weekend. If not I'll just probably have to resign. Nice rebuttal though. I see you.

    man i from philly. gtown by way of north philly

    I thought so. I've known about you from the cheap seats. Go eagles. You're not too far from where I'm at. I'm up north right outside Temple. Was raised in north Philly, moved down south to Tennessee, and now back in Philly for school. Lot has changed. Well some things haven't heh.

    I don't have a computer. I'm using my phone now. But my laptop is getting fixed. It should be fixed within the week. If that's too long, then sion can just wrap this up and give you the w.
  • SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Members, Moderators, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 45,666 Regulator
    NO - Plutarch
    Aye PR I love you like a brother n/h but that last part was unnecessary. I know it's just jokes but come on fam :( not in these threads b.
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denGuests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - Pralims
    hes just mad he was outted as a willing victim
  • PlutarchPlutarch A Tribe Called Fresh Philly, PA, by way of Ca$hville, TNMembers Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO - Plutarch
    Aye I should be good in a couple of days...very soon.
  • PlutarchPlutarch A Tribe Called Fresh Philly, PA, by way of Ca$hville, TNMembers Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO - Plutarch
    Introduction: Laptop is fine for now, so I’m back. Sorry about the wait. Now back to business. Once again, I am arguing that sex offenders SHOULD NOT be required to register their internet identities for sites such as Facebook, Twitter, and the IC in order to alert people of their crimes and status. My opponent fails to see the damage that such a registry would impose.

    1. If the internet registry proposed in this debate were put into effect, it would be used to make victims out of everyone.

    A. The internet registry will inevitably be irresponsibly used because sex crimes are arbitrary and generalized. Being a sex offender automatically leads to the stigmatized assumption that you are a 🤬 . Even up until now, most of our discussion has focused on pedophiles, but people who commit anything from 🤬 to sexual harassment are also sex offenders. In many states, sex crimes can even range from streaking, sexting, adult 🤬 , 🤬 , prostitution, public urination, homosexuality, 🤬 sex, and other non-violent offenses, some of which are arguably “victimless.” Yet all of these “sex crimes” are categorized with 🤬 and 🤬 . But what significant purpose for safety does it serve to put a stamp on a person on the internet because she happened to go skinny dipping and get caught or because he happened to 🤬 a pig?

    B. Like my opponent has noted and as we all know very well, the IC is full of sex freaks. I’ve heard of everything from eating 🤬 out on their periods to 🤬 cosigning rawdogging some of the nastiest hoes posted in illpix. Yet it’s all legal. So where is the line drawn as to what constitutes a sex crime? At least half of the males here, including one in particular whom I’ll refrain from mentioning (*cough* pralims *cough*), have technically sexually “harassed” at least one female on this site. So should they be registered sex offenders? Damn near three-fourths of the male population on the Internet would be required to register. If you randomly tell a 🤬 joke to a woman on the Internet, that’s sexual harassment as such an act would not be tolerated in the workplace even if you were just flirting or even if she liked the joke. Many registries don’t even tell you what the sex offender was convicted of, so the worst will always be assumed. So there you have it, you are now a registered sex offender for life on the Internet because you told a 🤬 joke. You are now one with the 🤬 . Cheers.

    C. A sex offender can even be an 18 year old who had consensual sex with his 17 year old girlfriend. Example: In Maine, in 2006, a “vigilante” named Stephen Marshall searched and found a sex offender on an internet registry and killed him; however, the man only had become a registered sex offender because he had sex with his girlfriend only a few days before the legal age of consent while he was in high school (Dornin). The fact that sex offenders are stigmatized, and the fact that sex crimes can include everything from 🤬 in public to teenage sex can therefore have disastrous results. In addition, there is also the fact that some sex offenders and would-be sex offenders are wrongly accused (a la the Duke Lacrosse team who were falsely charged in 2006).
    Word Count: 498

    Citations
    Dornin, Chris. “There’s Hope Even for Sex Offenders.” http://www.corrections.com/news/article/30086-there-s-hope-even-for-sex-offenders
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denGuests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - Pralims
    🤬 took too long to throw a punch. I forgot what we was fighting for
  • Ip manIp man Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Members, Moderators, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 45,666 Regulator
    NO - Plutarch
    Aye yall still got 1 more round.... unless yall want me to wrap this up and start the voting process.....

    @pralims
    @Plutarch
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denGuests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - Pralims
    naw....wrap it up....i want another battle tho...i lost the killer instinct in this one
  • SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Members, Moderators, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 45,666 Regulator
    NO - Plutarch
    pralims wrote: »
    naw....wrap it up....i want another battle tho...i lost the killer instinct in this one

    Alright cool. Voting can begin.

    I gotta say fam he got you in his first post LOLOL. Was still an entertaining debate tho.
  • Knock_TwiceKnock_Twice Getting it out the mud Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    This could have been a good debate lol...but to add on..

    Should we also tag those persons who carry STDs or such...why such thing as an STD should go un-notice...
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denGuests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    YES - Pralims
    he didnt get me in the first one...

    it just looks more professional and had big words.

    i want a rematch.

    @plutarch

    lets make a bet cuz im tired of this dude.(no real hate, just IC internets fake hate)

    since you are here in philly....if you win the next debate you will get up to 12 tickets to a sixers game in my suite at the wells fargo center. all food and drink included (reasonable amounts). and everybody can hold me to it.

    if you lose you dont post for a month, and afterwards you have to have a sig chosen by me for a month.

    just dont be voting againt me to help him win.

    we can have the whole IC vote..

    so you except or what
  • PlutarchPlutarch A Tribe Called Fresh Philly, PA, by way of Ca$hville, TNMembers Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    NO - Plutarch
    ^^^ Oh 🤬 , I'm down. Challenge is accepted. And just the way I like it. It aint a bet if aint high stakes. You done 🤬 up for real though heh.
  • 2stepz_ahead2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denGuests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    YES - Pralims
    Plutarch wrote: »
    ^^^ Oh 🤬 , I'm down. Challenge is accepted. And just the way I like it. It aint a bet if aint high stakes. You done 🤬 up for real though heh.

    @sion
    @plutarch

    lets make this happen

    oh you get to pick from pre-selected games....dont get crazy....lol
  • konceptjoneskonceptjones Old School Playa Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel Plutarch's position on this. I got caught taking a 🤬 behind a dumpster once and got a ticket where I had to go to court and talk to a judge. The judge told me that I could have to register as a sex offender for so many years, but my PD got me off and ultimately got the whole thing dismissed and expunged from my record. The mere thought of having to register as a sex offender for taking a 🤬 like that, which is something I'm sure at least 90% of all males in this country has done (especially when out fishing), doesn't sit well with me at all.
  • NothingButTheTruthNothingButTheTruth stew Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    YES - Pralims
    Tough luck. You 🤬 up and got got. You shouldn't be 🤬 outside, when you can simply go to any store in the area and use their bathroom.

    .... I'm riding with pralims. Sure you have 🤬 convictions, but the majority who are convicted are truly guilty of some sick 🤬 unless someone has a link to official stats that show different. And they ruined someone's life with their actions, so they deserved to have their lives permanently affected.

    Btw like pralims stated, maybe these dudes will think twice before they do some 🤬 , since the consequences are so "extreme." Not to mention, too many children (and naive woman) are on the internet nowadays and may fall victim to these clowns.
  • konceptjoneskonceptjones Old School Playa Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 13,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    I was having a diuretic reaction. I also tried something close to 10 stores and gas stations before I wound up behind a dumpster. In that part of Tha D there's a lot of vagrants (SW Detroit), and they don't let anyone other than the employees use their bathrooms, even someone clean and well dressed (as I was since I had just got off work). It was either 🤬 on myself of go where I could.

    When the stores have a sign out front saying "No public bathroom", and they still tell you "no" even when you ask anyway, the 🤬 ain't as simple as "simply going to any store in the area and use their bathroom".

    Also, your argument has generalized that "all 🤬 /pedos are men", yet nearly every day or so we have Young Chitlin posting yet another white woman teacher getting caught molesting her students. We also had a former NFL cheerleader arrested for blowing a 12-13 year old boy and while most of us make light of it (myself included), those women are still 🤬 rapists just like the men you admonish so much.

    You also don't take into account for the fact that just over a third of sex offenders are children themselves (Crimes Against Children Research Center, UNH, 2010 - http://www.unh.edu/ccrc/news/Sexual Abuse_USATODAY_1_5_10.pdf). Are you ready to say that a 13 year old child with an underdeveloped moral compass should be branded a "sex offender" and have to register as such on social network sites too?
  • PlutarchPlutarch A Tribe Called Fresh Philly, PA, by way of Ca$hville, TNMembers Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO - Plutarch
    Tough luck. You 🤬 up and got got. You shouldn't be 🤬 outside, when you can simply go to any store in the area and use their bathroom.

    .... I'm riding with pralims. Sure you have 🤬 convictions, but the majority who are convicted are truly guilty of some sick 🤬 unless someone has a link to official stats that show different. And they ruined someone's life with their actions, so they deserved to have their lives permanently affected.

    Btw like pralims stated, maybe these dudes will think twice before they do some 🤬 , since the consequences are so "extreme." Not to mention, too many children (and naive woman) are on the internet nowadays and may fall victim to these clowns.

    Koncept already said most of what needed to be said, and the fact that you said that a majority of the convicted are truly guilty of some sick 🤬 ("sick 🤬 " itself is a largely arbitrary term but meh) and then immediately opened up the possibility that you could be wrong implies to me that you're not speaking so much from knowledge and facts but from biased opinion. Plus, your eye-for-an-eye sense of justice does not help the problem! Sickos still do what they do knowing full well that the consequences are so extreme. It's just that most of them will do it anyway, and some of them just 🤬 themselves to avoid the consequences. When will people truly understand that (harsh) laws truly don't have nearly as much as an effect as people think they do? Btw, about your comment about children and naive women: Like I said, I think that good and responsible parenting and education (a dumb yet fully grown-ass woman who goes over an obviously shady stranger's house needs to take some responsibility as well) about predators will be more effective than being permanently put on a stigma-list only after the crime has been committed could ever be.

    But 🤬 the dumb 🤬 . You're not supposed to vote on your opinion about the debate topic. You're supposed to vote on who had the better argument (content, delivery, and fact) regardless of how you personally feel about the issue. I'm being made into a 🤬 -warrior here heh. I was simply asked to take an unpopular position, and I took it. Personally, I like both sides of the argument. But meh.

Sign In or Register to comment.