What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

The official Gun/Firearm discussion/appreciation thread

Comments

• A Ghost
    A Ghost Members Posts: 368
    Im glad to see my thread took off...
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Eatin pussy and kickin ass Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    janklow wrote: »
    Will Munny wrote: »
    They didn't have any in a 9mm so I was like 🤬 it I'm getting a .40. Ammo is pretty easy to find and not much more expensive. I don't even have a CC permit yet lolzzzz
    can't argue the accessibility of .40... honestly, every time i look through my 🤬 ARSENAL OF THOUSANDS OF ROUNDS i think "man... i have a lot more .40 than i realize... i should shoot some of this." and then i just don't.

but it's not a bad round in terms of ballistics, just not my cup of tea. so i hope you like the gun.

Why don't you like the .40? I shot my Shield a little bit yesterday and the recoil is as bad as I thought it was going to be. I wasn't trying to take any fast shot tho, just single shots for accuracy.

Also, any suggestions for reputable shooting channels on youtube? There are a lot of real dummies on there I feel like.
  • janklow
    janklow god's lonely man. Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Why don't you like the .40? I shot my Shield a little bit yesterday and the recoil is as bad as I thought it was going to be. I wasn't trying to take any fast shot tho, just single shots for accuracy.
    i don't HATE the .40, but while sometimes .40/.45 is fun, ultimately i always just end up enjoying shooting 9mm more. i'm not the biggest guy in the world, so there's that.

went back and looked to see when the last time i bought a handgun chambered in something bigger than 9x19mm and it's been some years.
    Also, any suggestions for reputable shooting channels on youtube? There are a lot of real dummies on there I feel like.
    i read TFB so sometimes i watch their videos, but i admit i don't really watch much of any videos on the interwebs
  • Will Munny
    Yah my next pistol will most definitely be a .357 or .44 magnum. Something with actual hunting/back up applications if I ever go hog hunting or bow hunting out west.
  • janklow
    Yah my next pistol will most definitely be a .357 or .44 magnum. Something with actual hunting/back up applications if I ever go hog hunting or bow hunting out west.
    .44 Magnums are so painful to feed, but also, you know, really fun. although the former is why i never shoot my Model 29 (well, not NEVER).

not a hunter but i imagine it'd handle all your pistol-hunting needs.

also, i DO need to get a quality .357 Magnum in the safe...
  • Will Munny
    It's that tax season. Thinking about being a lifetime member of a conservation group for $1500 but it comes with a Kimber 1911 .45. Or just buying an AR
  • janklow
    It's that tax season. Thinking about being a lifetime member of a conservation group for $1500 but it comes with a Kimber 1911 .45. Or just buying an AR
    i mean, i would just buy an AR, but a Kimber 1911 doesn't make me leap with joy. might make a difference if the group is near and dear to you?

but if you want to feel better about ridiculous early-year expenditures, in order to thumb my nose at our local legislature sort-of doubling down on 2013 and beat the 41P change, i have a form 1 eFile going for a 10.3" AR, am going to plan out a form 4'ed shorty AK, and probably have to figure another form 1 project scheme for another lower.

~2016: RIDICULOUS~
  • Will Munny
    edited February 2016
    It is a conservation group that does a lot with preserving wilderness areas but I think I'll just get an AR. Leaning towards and M&P-15. DPMS makes their guns around 25 miles down the road from me but I haven't heard many good things about them. I could actually hunt with it and shoot a lot with it. I have no idea what people who aren't into guns spend their money on.

Are you not a 1911 guy?
  • Will Munny
    I ended up taking a bit of a chance and bought an AR from a lesser known manufacturer. I got an Alex Pro Firearms econo carbine with a vortex striker red dog sight. $800 total for both.
  • janklow
    It is a conservation group that does a lot with preserving wilderness areas but I think I'll just get an AR. Leaning towards and M&P-15. ... I ended up taking a bit of a chance and bought an AR from a lesser known manufacturer. I got an Alex Pro Firearms econo carbine with a vortex striker red dog sight. $800 total for both.
    can't really go wrong with an AR; they're versatile guns and if the one you got isn't great, you can at least start switching out parts on it. but hopefully you're happy with it.
    Are you not a 1911 guy?
    not really; i only have one. don't really have too many .45s, actually. i think i just never got into them in my youth and my collection just went a whole different 9mm direction.

but if you love them, no judgment.
  • janklow
    -am going to plan out a form 4'ed shorty AK
    EDIT: this stamp is now also in progress, good lord

• blakfyahking
    blakfyahking The IC's Resident Father Figure Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ended up taking a bit of a chance and bought an AR from a lesser known manufacturer. I got an Alex Pro Firearms econo carbine with a vortex striker red dog sight. $800 total for both.

you'll be throwing this in the trash as soon as get the chance to use an EoTech

I swear them cheap red dot sights are a real waste of money
  • janklow
    probably depends a little bit on what you use them for, i imagine

but i'm old as dirt so i'm all about my iron sights
  • Will Munny

Vortex does not make cheap optics, I mean I know they get way more than $200, buts not like $70 red dot either
  • blakfyahking

Vortex does not make cheap optics, I mean I know they get way more than $200, buts not like $70 red dot either

nah trust me on this........I build and shoot ARs and use reflex/red dot sights on a regular basis

for a while part of my job was sourcing equipment like this, and I still work with a lot of industry heads......there is a reason why the military doesn't 🤬 with vortex like that

u said u paid $800 total for both a full AR and a sight......average vortex sight of any basic quality is about $200

not sure if I would be willing to shoot a brand new AR-15 that costs less than $700 out the box for fear of it blowing up

an average red dot that will hold a zero will cost u at least $400 new, so I say just save ur bread and get a EoTech

if u do any type of tactical training/quick shooting with it u will def see the difference between the quality of red dot sights
  • Will Munny
    Well 🤬 . Hopefully it works out. It's my first AR so live and learn I guess.
  • janklow
    an average red dot that will hold a zero will cost u at least $400 new, so I say just save ur bread and get a EoTech
    or maybe an Aimpoint/Trijicon

• The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Old iron sight>>>>>>Red dots
  • blakfyahking
    edited March 2016
    The_Jackal wrote: »

this statement is not particularly true unless u like shooting multiple targets heuristically ( from the hip)

and anyone training to shoot at targets that may shoot back will def appreciate a decent red dot over iron sights

I really don't understand the preference for iron sights over scopes
  • blakfyahking
    or maybe an Aimpoint/Trijicon

aimpoint - yes

trujicon - no, unless it's for an ACOG........otherwise their sights cost too much in comparison to actual performance
  • janklow
    and anyone training to shoot at targets that may shoot back will def appreciate a decent red dot over iron sights
    well, you ARE going to have firearms it's not a simple matter to slap a red dot on that someone might training to shoot at a target that might shoot back with. probably also depends on what kind of training you're doing?

but it's a fact that people do seem to love red dots
  • janklow
    aimpoint - yes
    trujicon - no, unless it's for an ACOG........otherwise their sights cost too much in comparison to actual performance
    won't argue the price point but i will say this is why people pass up EoTech/Aimpoint/Trijicon for other options. then again... buy once, cry once.

haven't killed my PA red dot yet, though
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2016

this statement is not particularly true unless u like shooting multiple targets heuristically ( from the hip)

Every red dot I used us unreliable and easily to break. Take Iron sights over red dot all day
  • blakfyahking

Every red dot I used us unreliable and easily to break. Take Iron sights over red dot all day

In what capacity did u use these sights? and what sights did u use?

it's pretty hard to dispute the proven advantage of optics vs iron sights

but there is a learning curve involved I will admit

• JusDre313
    JusDre313 ∩┐(◕_◕)┌∩┐ YEP........................ MEDICINAL!Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @janklow @The_Jackal

looking to get a shotty for the crib.. price not really an issue. I got my ccw and a couple handguns. but no rifles or shottys.. suggestions??