What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

The Sopranos (Revisted) 1st Episode Aired 15 Years Ago

twentyfivelighters
twentyfivelighters 'Sippi LandMembers Posts: 4,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2014 in Lights, Camera, Action!
The IC needs an official thread for one of the greatest television shows of all time.

the-sopranos-2_7524.jpg

This was the first scene from the pilot that got me hooked. I knew instantly that this would be one of my favorite series of all time and it ended being my #1.

IGN has an article about the top 15 moments on the show, in honor of its debut 15 years ago

http://m.ign.com/articles/2014/01/11/the-sopranos-the-top-15-moments

So, the pressing question has always been this...

What happened at the end? Do we really know? Some people were incredibly 🤬 that an ending wasn't handed to us but personally I believe it to be one of the greatest endings because of the ambiguity. The Sopranos always required viewers to pay attention to what was going on, and since Chase said "everything was there" I've come to the conclusion that Tony was indeed murdered. The homage to the Godfather is what convinces me, really.

Anyway, this thread is to discuss some of the funniest, tragic moments in the history of this show, which there are plenty. Who on the IC is a fan of The Sopranos?

Comments

• Will Munny
    Will Munny Eatin pussy and kickin ass Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I binge watched the entire series. I hated Tony by the end. Only one I didn't hate was fat 🤬 Baccala.
  • twentyfivelighters
    Ralphie was one of the GOAT characters.

HOO-AH
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Break down how u think he was murdered. What led to this conclusion?
  • Will Munny
    The stories was told from Tony's point of view. When the screen when black it was because Tony was dead, there was no story left to tell.

Honestly tho, it was a cop out ending. It was garbage and really did tarnish the series. And thats why shows like Breaking Bad, Boardwalk Empire and The Wire are all ahead of Sopranos in my opinion.
  • twentyfivelighters
    Break down how u think he was murdered. What led to this conclusion?

This scene in particular. "You probably don't even hear it when it happens."

Plus I felt the guy going into the bathroom was an homage to this Godfather scene:

It's clear as day to me, but the thing is, you can interpret in in any way you like. They were setting Tony up to fall in the end anyway, either death or going to prison (Carlo was going to testify).

I can understand how some people don't get it or are mad at the ending. It was a new, controversial conceit. Sure, it's not contrived closure like Breaking Bad. I don't think it was a cop out, though. Honestly I think it's perfect. How do you end a series like The Sopranos? A montage wouldn't cut it. It's obvious from the beginning there would be no happy endings.
  • Will Munny
    It was a cop out. They didn't know if there as gonna be a Sopranos movie or not so they left it open ended on purpose. It was really just lazy.
  • twentyfivelighters
    It's all good tho. I mean it's definitely not my favorite ending to a series but it drops it off your top list just because of the ending? There's too many fantastic scenes throughout this series that makes it my #1 personal.
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It can't be the best show because of the ending, but it's still dope.
  • twentyfivelighters
    Where do y'all rank it?
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Hypocrite The BashmentMembers Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm rewatching it... Im almost done with season two... its still dope.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denGuests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think it was all a dream.

listen to how tony talking in the first episodes....

an watch how his voice then changes.

i think the end was when he woke up
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    First of all, a couple days after the finale, the writer said Tony did not die in the episode.
    Ive posted the story on this website a few times, including when he said that.
    He was not killed in the end.
  • FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    Great series.

"Go to the drug store, get two pairs of surgical gloves, some bleach, come to our friend's house: the contractor"

love that episode
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi DragonstoneMembers, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited January 2014
    i'll never forget in season 6 when tony beat aj's ass when they were bout to go camping or something & he didn't wana go. tony put them hands on him & aj 🤬 up as usual & tony threw some clothes out was like "pack a bag"
    idk why that's one of the main scenes that sticks out to me whenever i think about this show but it was funny as 🤬 when i first saw it & it's still funny.

& this top 5 GOAT scenes of the series. dead @ silvio
  • Will Munny
    AJ was such a little 🤬 .
  • themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    to me the show was never the same after he clipped Ralphie......but Silvio was a goat character too

• A1000MILES
    A1000MILES Members, Writer Posts: 13,293 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meadow datin the muli was funny...
  • 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Who I am is Complex, What i am, simply put. I'm a Threat walking out the lions denGuests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'll never forget in season 6 when tony beat aj's ass when they were bout to go camping or something & he didn't wana go. tony put them hands on him & aj 🤬 up as usual & tony threw some clothes out was like "pack a bag"
    idk why that's one of the main scenes that sticks out to me whenever i think about this show but it was funny as 🤬 when i first saw it & it's still funny.

lol...they beat his ass
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Lord High Executioner Members Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2014

Yo that scene was hilarious to me

Christopher - "oh great my own mother, 🤬 you, you 🤬 🤬 ' =))
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Lord High Executioner Members Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where do y'all rank it?

#2 behind The Wire
  • twentyfivelighters

Intervention was one of the best scenes in television. It's eerie how James Gandolfini died of a heart attack around 50, too. @ bolded though, that was right after Bobby died, lmao. They had to go into hiding because a hit was out on Tony.
    to me the show was never the same after he clipped Ralphie......but Silvio was a goat character too

Agreed. Silvio was definitely my favorite character who wasn't Tony.

lmfao at Ralph at the window in this scene. Guy was such a 🤬 !
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,413 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silvio Dante>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Hypocrite The BashmentMembers Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Silvio was that dude... I love it when Paulie goes off tho.
    Big 🤬 ... I hate it had to b him...
  • twentyfivelighters
    Silvio was that dude... I love it when Paulie goes off tho.
    Big 🤬 ... I hate it had to b him...

"I loved that 🤬 like a brother, and he 🤬 me in the ass." - Paulie Walnuts
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably my favorite ending to any of the eps.

This episode was hilarious.

Paulie was hilarious.