What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Encouraging Girls into STEM fields

2»

Comments

  • zombiezombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    ZeePhoenix wrote: »
    zombie wrote: »
    Just let people get in where they fit in

    Have fun raising a waitress and a shop assistant.

    My children will get what I leave them so that won't go down. Your statement assumes women have no ambition all I am saying is that people should be allowed to go as far as there motivation takes them we should not need to push women in any direction.
  • KatKat Don't @ Me to Dumb Shit. H-TownMembers Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think push is the wrong word.

    I want my child to be introduced to a wide variety of potential career options throughout her childhood, but I'm not going to push her into choosing something STEM-related if she proves to be passionate about something else.

    What would be the motivation behind that? I'm curious. Is it about the money? Is it because YOU personally are interested or passionate about those fields?
  • dallas' 4 evadallas' 4 eva Dallas Cowboys 2016 NFC EAST CHAMPS Members Posts: 11,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean there are scientific reasons as to why more males go into and excel in these fields. Not saying a woman can't do them but there is a reason for the gap.
  • desertrain10desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some of u are taking the word 'push' too literally

    But I agree we as a society should do a better job of encouraging young grls to take interest in the STEM fields...the future of American industry and innovation depends on it really lol

    Making barbie a biologist or an engineer would be cool

    And doing things like introducing elementary school kids to computer programing concepts can do wonders for both grls AND boys



  • blakfyahkingblakfyahking The IC's Resident Father Figure Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Kat wrote: »
    Kat wrote: »
    I know alot of companies like ExxonMobil and even my current employer hold various workshops at local schools to encourage interest in these fields. They ask for volunteers within the company, and even hold a couple a year that target young females specifically.

    Isn't it proven that men tend to excel in these areas though?

    not necessarily

    studies have shown that girls are not catered to in these fields which leads to a later gender gap

    boys are pretty much encouraged from an early age cause of stereotypes of what is masculine/feminine work

    meanwhile girls are ignored when it comes to the things that bring boys into the field

    something as simple as videogames have had an impact on the gender gap in fields such as computer science

    Are they encouraged more or are more boys just naturally interested in these subjects?

    Personally speaking..I have no interest in those fields because it's not my passion.

    I feel like more women are probably drawn to social or artistic fields, and that comes naturally for them.

    Not saying that this goes for all women, but if we had to generalize.

    the bolded makes me think that you have not really considered that children tend to be drawn to the fields they are exposed to......obviously exposing them to more subjects could add to their opportunity for success

    my videogame example is a perfect instance of how many boys were exposed to get an interest in those fields at an early age

    that should be particularly relevant to you because we both are the same age....think about how nintendo and mario bros created a generation of video game players today who are male.......now those same males who've been introduced to STEM indirectly and have even been able to reinforce their other interests such as sports...........that has not only exposed boys of my generation to STEM but also made us aware of how STEM could be applied to other subjects we're interested in

    girls who were my age when nintendo came out were exposed to mario but didn't have a series of games that catered to their interests............those same girls are now women who continue to follow the same fields that were pushed in their face since they were girls



    ultimately when girls don't have examples to aspire to, it limits the potential of girls who would've been interested in typically male dominated industries...........that leads to critical gender gaps and glass ceilings for women :(

    even in stereotypical feminine industries such as fashion and beauty care, there are STEM applications that women miss out on
  • blakfyahkingblakfyahking The IC's Resident Father Figure Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kat wrote: »
    ZeePhoenix wrote: »
    Following your dreams is one thing.


    Being successful is another.


    If I ever have a kid that I catch singing into a hair brush wanting to be Beyonce i'll throw a textbook at her.

    Lol

    Because Beyonce isn't successful?

    statistically how many "Beyonces" will come out of the next generation of girls growing up

    why would you not encourage your daughter to have a back up plan?
  • KatKat Don't @ Me to Dumb Shit. H-TownMembers Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would you be as receptive to encouraging young men to take interest in female dominated fields?

    Just out of curiosity.
  • blakfyahkingblakfyahking The IC's Resident Father Figure Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kat wrote: »
    Would you be as receptive to encouraging young men to take interest in female dominated fields?

    Just out of curiosity.

    if there was a good reason for it............but what would be the purpose of that? how does that help boys and improve society?

    the whole point of pushing STEM for girls is to help with gender gaps that hold back women
    ZeePhoenix wrote: »

    You making video game references just for me? ;-)

    sure if it makes you feel flattered :)

  • Markus GarveyMarkus Garvey Members Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    It would be great but one of my friends who got her doctorate in chemistry said it was boring and she found better paying alternatives. She said if it was not for the safety net of unappealing jobs that she cant take when her looks dwindle she completely regrets studying STEM for years in college. According to her women dont find STEM fields appealing as men do.
  • Markus GarveyMarkus Garvey Members Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Women are just allergic to STEM fields or men who have STEM majors. I know I used to be a biology major before changing up to accounting.
  • blakfyahkingblakfyahking The IC's Resident Father Figure Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Women are just allergic to STEM fields or men who have STEM majors. I know I used to be a biology major before changing up to accounting.

    this is a self-fulfilling stereotype that needs to be stopped

    it's actually holding a lot of us back



    that was why I made this thread :(

  • Markus GarveyMarkus Garvey Members Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    I agree with you its sad but true and I did not change my major to attempt to get more girls that is shallow. I just though I would be more successful with accounting giving the connections I have made. I am just discussing from experience.
  • DarcSkiesDarcSkies TRUST IN ALLAH BUT TIE UP YOUR CAMEL Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Kat wrote: »

    Isn't it proven that men tend to excel in these areas though?
    Your 🤬 ass believe anything these white devil ass men tell you dont you?

    It's not that you hoes cant do it. It's that you havent really been given the chance because of institutionalized sexism. And the rest are too busy trying to spread your legs for a successful man who's done all the hard work so you dont have to.

    And we defiantly need to start encouraging these hoes to get into the science field. Especially stem-cell research. Then maybe one day you 🤬 could grow yourselves a 🤬 brain in a lab. Cuz most of you hoes clearly aint born with one. Not one that functions at least.

    SHUT UP KAT.
  • Karl.Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it true that men a generally better in those fields?
  • Karl.Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kat wrote: »
    I get your point, and I don't completely disagree with you, but on the other hand what would have happened if Beyonce's parents had had a similar frame of mind?

    What about Michael Jordan or Meryl Streep's parents?

    What about anybody that has a lucrative career outside of the STEM fields?

    Everybody has their own talents that should be recognized and cultivated into something even greater.

    The last thing I would want for my child is to be pushed into a field that she has no passion for just because it's a money maker or the 'right' thing to do.

    Do what you LOVE..if that falls within the STEM fields, awesome..those are the kids that will be the true talents. But it's okay if it doesn't too.

    Life is too short imo.

    Jordan and Streep are two of the most gifted people in their fields. You can't really use them to compare to the average person.
  • Karl.Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Women are just allergic to STEM fields or men who have STEM majors. I know I used to be a biology major.

    So you're saying you're a 🤬 ?
  • YC11YC11 Members Posts: 891 ✭✭✭✭
    If they are capable, sure why not. Uglier chicks tend to study harder from my perspective, in general.
Sign In or Register to comment.