What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

How has your local cities fanbase changed over the years?

MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
Thought i would make a thread to see observations you see from your home city or relocated city (if you have moved).

I live halfway between nyc and boston but lemme first start out on boston:

Boston Red Sox: 15 years ago if you were in boston with a yankees hat bad 🤬 may or might happen to you. Being black like me and having a yankees hat on well 🤬 good luck lol. The fanbase hated the yankees to the core and were depressed and emo. Now 3 titles later i go in with my 🤬 to yankees/sox games on a yearly basis and they could care less. And despite winning last year tickets are actually cheaper on the resale marketplaces and a guy i work with was even buy season tickets from the team after they were on a wait list. People still fill the place last minute but demand is down even after a title.

Boston Celtics: My grandpa relocated my dad to boston in the 70s and it was all about all white teams. Nobody supported the black teams in the 90's. Uncles and my father all had teams outside boston for basketball cause it really was the great last white hope team baring a few brothas in the 80's. Since the big 3 the city has finally showed up to watch 5 🤬 start (they didn't do that in the late 90's). Now the team in struggling i think attendance will go down. Demand has gone down but they still get decent crowds.

Boston Bruins: This team has the most bandwagon fans right now. Matter of fact people care more about the bruins now than the red sox. Its a hotter ticket and they are going at nfl prices for big reg season and playoff games. They love 🤬 who play for them (first black player willie oree was on bruins). They had anson carter and now have jerome iginla. But they had 🤬 that score on them i.e. joel ward/pk subban). Everything that used to be classless about red sox fans during the curse has moved over to the bruins fanbase.

New England Pats: Outside Jerry's world has to be the highest priced tickets in football. Some tickets for giants eagles are cheaper than some regular season pats games on the resale market. Back in the day you could buy tickets at the gate and buy season tickets if you have the money....now the wait list is 40 years. 40 years my 🤬 ! 40 years! That ugly side of boston can be seen by the fanbase but not as bad as the bruins. I went to see the saints vs pats scrimmage a few years ago and it broke a trainning camp record for most people at a mid day open practice session over 20K came in the middle of the week. People were there in line 4 hours prior to the practice by the thousands. Lotta bandwagon fans between the first super bowl and now.

Comments

  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    New York:

    Yankees: Yankees fan myself. The new stadium turned off allot of average joe 🤬 like me. Before you would get 40K people in the old one. The new stadium they screwed die hard fans who had nice seats at a decent price and moved them to the upper deck outfield unless they wanted to pay hundreds to thousands more per game to keep their seats in the lower level. That is what 🤬 up the attendance and why you see empty seats. But people still support them. People like me pack fenway for yanks sox and same when they play at city field yankees fans who protest the new stadium will show up in droves. I still haven't been to the new stadium but have been to many games outside yankee stadium since 2009. Only reason im going for the first time next month is cause this bad 🤬 said she wanted to go so you know how that goes my 🤬 lol.

    Giants: More title more 🤬 . They have supported the team well but 🤬 and whine about everything as a superstition. Both titles eli got the fanbase wanted the coach fired and ragged eli then hopped on both they jocks when they actually won. They tend to over react and not count their blessings of having 2 titles in the last 15 years something many franchises would die for.

    Jets: Lolololol. 🤬 bless jets fans. That is all.

    Mets: Just like the yankees the die hard fans protest going to the games unless they are winning. Not bandwagon because the front office been on some basic 🤬 🤬 🤬 up every chance to make a big move. NYC is a huge baseball market but unlike other franchises they are smart enough like mets fans to not keep showing up if the front office is not going to do they 🤬 . Its working cause now the franchise is trying to change and despite tv money last year the green empty seats hurt the mets.

    Rangers:They have pretty much stayed the same. Im a fan of the rival flyers but one thing you gotta respect is through good and bad they show up to the garden jut as good if not better than knicks fans. They have stayed loyal despite mediocrity and early playoff exists.

    Knicks: Fanbase have been consistent. 60% tend to be delusional 🤬 about everything/ 40% are realistic and expect the worse hope for the best like my dad. but one think you cant knock is how they sell out the place every night. if you are not from new york you have to understand how hard it is to get to the garden on a tuesday night just to pay outrageous ticket prices. Showing up to 41 home games like they do is amazing.

    Nets: Fanbase analysis TBD the culture in bk is interesting because people are starting to switch over now that the team in in the city.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rivalry between the red sox and Yankees is stagnant right now, it will pop off again when they face off in the playoffs but the hatred isn't there for the most part because the Yankees are irrelevant or have been irrelevant and the red sox have consistently been the better team, it's not like when the Yankees were always on top
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rivalry between the red sox and Yankees is stagnant right now, it will pop off again when they face off in the playoffs but the hatred isn't there for the most part because the Yankees are irrelevant or have been irrelevant and the red sox have consistently been the better team, it's not like when the Yankees were always on top

    yeah but i was there last august during the game arod got beaned its still tame compaired to how it was. those 3 titles chilled out the fanbase.

  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for my actual "local" city (L.A.) a lot of people have magically transformed into clippers fans but still feel some type of way about Dwight Howard.

    Atlanta - Falcons have gone from half the city not giving a 🤬 to sports-talk radio dissecting every step they take and considering anything less than a Super Bowl a disappointment. Braves are still the bravos but arguably the Falcons are the most popular team in the city.

    Oklahoma - Went from being numb because of OU football dark ages in the 90s to calling for Stoops job because he won "just" 10 or 11 games.
    Thunder - Slowly but surely surpassing college sports and the Dallas cowboys as the first love of Oklahoma sports fans. (thought I'd never see the day.)
  • Inglewood_B
    Inglewood_B Woodz of Inglez Members Posts: 12,246 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As for my actual "local" city (L.A.) a lot of people have magically transformed into clippers fans but still feel some type of way about Dwight Howard

    The casual L.A. Sports fan just like rootin for the city, because they'll brag on anything L.A.

    🤬 ain't never watched a soccer/hockey game in they life but if you get into a "City of Champs" argument they will claim the 🤬 outta Galaxy and Kings titles
  • Matt-
    Matt- stew Members Posts: 21,585 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is like 100,000 people camped out at the damn speedway for the coca cola 600 so not much has changed
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Redskins: Their fan base ain't changed. Every year a good portion of their fan base bases the success of their season on whether they beat Dallas or how bad Dallas does too. Know and see far too many 'Skins "fans" say "Well at least Dallas lost too" while their team is getting curb stomped

    Wizards: The rest of the country is far more excited about the Wizards than people here are. We love the team but we been suckered into thinking they had a strong core before and some great potential for the future only for it to all fall apart. If they Wizards have another playoff run like this year they'll be alot more local excitement. We more worried about bringing KD home for the Goodman league this summer lol

    Nationals; 🤬 them, 🤬 their stadium.

    Capitols: They got a STRONG fan base here. That 🤬 runs deep. They spend a good portion of local sports radio talking about them whenever anything big or small happens. I'm not a huge hockey person but I know they got major backing around here
  • O.G.
    O.G. GUILTY BY AFFILIATION. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

    The casual L.A. Sports fan just like rootin for the city, because they'll brag on anything L.A.

  • caddo man
    caddo man Failure is success in progress! Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Atlanta - Like someone else said Falcons are the numero uno in this town. Then you have everybody else that are not from here. Falcon fans that are not from Georgia dont have that depressed look on there face when you talk Falcons. They are optimistic about things, while native fans be like, "I love em, but 🤬 them 🤬 ." (Quoted from my brother in law, manager, dude that delivers the correspondence, ex roommate, etc.)
    - Everybody in Georgia loves the bulldogs unless you graduated from somewhere else. All the UofGeorgia graduates I know feel some type of way about die hard fans that never step on campus. But I can actually say that about LSU, Bama, etc. (exclude Auburn and Vandy)

    - Everybody in the Southeast is a Braves fan. Thank you Ted Turner.

    - I have never met a real live true Hawks fan. Not saying they are not out there cause I watch their games on TV. They are like Giant Squid. WE see evidence of their existence but I am likely to die without seeing one.
    As soon as I typed this a season ticket holder walked in my office. Scratches that off my to do list. Now if I can see a Cowboys GM not named Jerry Jones.

    Shreveport (North Louisiana) - They were all Cowboy fans until Jim Mora showed up. Then only 20% were Saints fans. Now they have Drew Brees. I see cats claiming Saints that used to be "die hard" 'boyz fans. 🤬 is disgusting when I go home. I used to have to travel to Red River Parish to see a game on TV. Now they have polls a week before where you call in to vote.
    Fact: More people call in to vote for the game than people that voted for the presidential election
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Real Falcon fans are pretty much the same. Front-running, fairweather Falcon fans (which make up about 40% of the overall fan base and city) are the ones that are like "🤬 'em".

    But they were the main ones doing the 🤬 Bird in '99 with a Foot Locker tag hanging off their crispy Jamal Anderson jersey.

    And the city of Atlanta has to lead "the league" in fake transplant fans of non-Atlanta teams. Basically nikkas who really didn't give a 🤬 about their hometown teams but when they moved to Atlanta they became mascots.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Redskins-One of the most loyal fan bases of any sport, but the same sad story: About 40% of the city is Cowboys fans. Nothing like it in sports and i will never understand. Not out the question to go to a bar when its Skins vs Cowboys and be outnumbered by cowboys fans

    Wizards-c/s blackrain. Nggas aint crazy for the wiz. Honestly i think its a testament to the Arenas era. That team's stars were a lil older and more big names that even the avg fan knew(Caron, jamison, haywood from unc, etc). This team's stars r kids and the rest of the team is kinda random lol And its a star loving city. When LA or Boston would come to play, nggas would b rootin for Kobe, garnet, etc

    Nationals-u hear more about the stadium than the team. But i aint a baseball dude i know they nice tho

    Bonus: Orioles-lol the minute the Nats came along the Orioles disapearred. DC used to claim them and Cal Ripken, but has never claimed ray lewis or those titles. Which is how it should be, but funny bc Orioles used to be #2 team in DC behind the Skins
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    7 years ago the blackhawks were voted the worst franchise in all of professional sports and the seats looked like a kendrick perkins boxscore but now they have topped attendance for 7 straight years

    the owner dollar bill wirtz didnt even televise home games because he didnt want the fans to watch his team for free so even the most die hard fans alienated the team out of spite but he died 7 years ago and his son took over and has done a great job since

    2 stanley cups and about to get another one this year

    not much has changed otherwise in chicago sports and its fans

    win or lose

    bulls top attendance year in and year out
    bears top 5 in attendance year in and year out
    cubs top 10 in attendance year in and year out (use to be like top 5 but cub fans starting to get fed up so this one might be changing before my eyes)
    white sox the only team that struggle filling the seats and for good reason
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Black Identified Extremist Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    "Jets: Lolololol. 🤬 bless jets fans. That is all."

    What is that supposed to mean?
  • Beezus
    Beezus Members Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still waiting on that playoff win
    still keep putting money in clark hunts pocket
    Kc got some of the best fans :)
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ckfree wrote: »
    7 years ago the blackhawks were voted the worst franchise in all of professional sports and the seats looked like a kendrick perkins boxscore but now they have topped attendance for 7 straight years

    the owner dollar bill wirtz didnt even televise home games because he didnt want the fans to watch his team for free so even the most die hard fans alienated the team out of spite but he died 7 years ago and his son took over and has done a great job since

    2 stanley cups and about to get another one this year

    not much has changed otherwise in chicago sports and its fans

    win or lose

    bulls top attendance year in and year out
    bears top 5 in attendance year in and year out
    cubs top 10 in attendance year in and year out (use to be like top 5 but cub fans starting to get fed up so this one might be changing before my eyes)
    white sox the only team that struggle filling the seats and for good reason

    i still cant believe how the most popular venue (wrigley field) gets 🤬 over yearly as far as what the franchise gets taxed for. Had no idea they pay an amusement tax and they hardly see money from those roof seats. And the day game 🤬 is 🤬 they should have the cubs and sox split them or do whatever they want like the mets/yankees do.

  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    ckfree wrote: »
    7 years ago the blackhawks were voted the worst franchise in all of professional sports and the seats looked like a kendrick perkins boxscore but now they have topped attendance for 7 straight years

    the owner dollar bill wirtz didnt even televise home games because he didnt want the fans to watch his team for free so even the most die hard fans alienated the team out of spite but he died 7 years ago and his son took over and has done a great job since

    2 stanley cups and about to get another one this year

    not much has changed otherwise in chicago sports and its fans

    win or lose

    bulls top attendance year in and year out
    bears top 5 in attendance year in and year out
    cubs top 10 in attendance year in and year out (use to be like top 5 but cub fans starting to get fed up so this one might be changing before my eyes)
    white sox the only team that struggle filling the seats and for good reason

    i still cant believe how the most popular venue (wrigley field) gets 🤬 over yearly as far as what the franchise gets taxed for. Had no idea they pay an amusement tax and they hardly see money from those roof seats. And the day game 🤬 is 🤬 they should have the cubs and sox split them or do whatever they want like the mets/yankees do.

    yea thats why they going to war with those roof top owners right now

    they even gonna build a hotel across the street from wrigley theo said he wants to build his own yawkee way or some 🤬

    they still getting money though the ricketts bought that team 5 years ago for $845 million and last i checked it was valued at $1.25 billion while cub fans have seen the team compile some of their worst w/l records of all time

    they coming though
  • tearjerker
    tearjerker Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
    caddo man wrote: »
    Atlanta - Like someone else said Falcons are the numero uno in this town. Then you have everybody else that are not from here. Falcon fans that are not from Georgia dont have that depressed look on there face when you talk Falcons. They are optimistic about things, while native fans be like, "I love em, but 🤬 them 🤬 ." (Quoted from my brother in law, manager, dude that delivers the correspondence, ex roommate, etc.)
    - Everybody in Georgia loves the bulldogs unless you graduated from somewhere else. All the UofGeorgia graduates I know feel some type of way about die hard fans that never step on campus. But I can actually say that about LSU, Bama, etc. (exclude Auburn and Vandy)

    - Everybody in the Southeast is a Braves fan. Thank you Ted Turner.

    - I have never met a real live true Hawks fan. Not saying they are not out there cause I watch their games on TV. They are like Giant Squid. WE see evidence of their existence but I am likely to die without seeing one.
    As soon as I typed this a season ticket holder walked in my office. Scratches that off my to do list. Now if I can see a Cowboys GM not named Jerry Jones.

    Shreveport (North Louisiana) - They were all Cowboy fans until Jim Mora showed up. Then only 20% were Saints fans. Now they have Drew Brees. I see cats claiming Saints that used to be "die hard" 'boyz fans. 🤬 is disgusting when I go home. I used to have to travel to Red River Parish to see a game on TV. Now they have polls a week before where you call in to vote.
    Fact: More people call in to vote for the game than people that voted for the presidential election



    I can't co-sign this. It's plenty of Georgia tech fans and Alabama fans here too. I personally like South Carolina. And I'm a devout Hawks fan too ....not a fan of their management in the past few decades but I'm out here bruh.

  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    S2J wrote: »
    Redskins-One of the most loyal fan bases of any sport, but the same sad story: About 40% of the city is Cowboys fans. Nothing like it in sports and i will never understand. Not out the question to go to a bar when its Skins vs Cowboys and be outnumbered by cowboys fans

    Wizards-c/s blackrain. Nggas aint crazy for the wiz. Honestly i think its a testament to the Arenas era. That team's stars were a lil older and more big names that even the avg fan knew(Caron, jamison, haywood from unc, etc). This team's stars r kids and the rest of the team is kinda random lol And its a star loving city. When LA or Boston would come to play, nggas would b rootin for Kobe, garnet, etc

    Nationals-u hear more about the stadium than the team. But i aint a baseball dude i know they nice tho

    Bonus: Orioles-lol the minute the Nats came along the Orioles disapearred. DC used to claim them and Cal Ripken, but has never claimed ray lewis or those titles. Which is how it should be, but funny bc Orioles used to be #2 team in DC behind the Skins

    I think part of the Wizards not having a strong hold is them being so bad with high school, college and ever street ball being so damn good around here it gave people other basketball to focus on while the Wizards have sucked the better part of 3+ decades now.

    Oh and 🤬 the Redskins. You know DC stands for Dallas Cowboys during football season
  • Fly society513
    Fly society513 Members Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The rivalry within the division is still very strong. Bengal fans will love this team til the end. Still seems like its more shittsburgh fans here than bengals. That'll never go away.

    Reds fan base is still strong.

    Uc fans died off for the football team after that good year they had where Kelly left for notre dame.

    We don't have a basketball team but i'm sure this is going around all over the world. Everybody here is now and has been a Heat fan since they won their first chip with the big 3. I'm not a big hoop fan but seeing or hearing someone say "Team Heat" makes my blood boil like Blade when he need his serum. I know one real heat fan and that's my best friend. He's been rocking with them ever since Dwayne wade, his favorite player was drafted by them.