What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

TNA's new network and the larger picture

jonojono Right fist = power, left fist = unityMembers Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
By now everyone has heard about TNA being moved to Destination America (which I don't have) next year and while many of is have had our chuckles at TNA's misfortunes we need to understand how sad it is that a program that got at least 800,000 viewers weekly couldn't find another decent network to latch on to.

From what I've heard, if TNA's entire viewership stayed the same (which it won't) it will be the highest rated program in the history of that channel on its first day. This means that network, which literally reaches only a fraction of the homes that Spike did is already on the ropes and dead in the water.

But the bigger picture is this: when you couple TNA being on Destination America with Lucha Underground on El Rey (don't have this network either) and WWE staying with USA (for far less money than they wanted) the American wrestling market is looking like 🤬 .

AAA was on many Spanish speaking networks over the last few years and kept getting canceled. Those networks that were canceling it were networks that just about everyone got so the exposure for the product was much greater than it is now. Granted the revamped AAA product Lucha Underground brings is a higher grade show that has a very different feel but why, with all the money involved (it's executive producers are the man behind Survivor, Mark Burnett and the other is behind the El mariachi movie trilogy, Robert Rodriguez, these men are by no means unknowns in Hollywood, they have real name value) could it not connect with a network everyone gets?

American wrestling has fallen to the point where the only wrestling you can get on TV weekly is WWE, this wasn't the case when I was a kid. As a youngster I had access to UWF, USWA, Smoky Mountain, ECW, all on the same weekend. From Friday to Sunday afternoon I had so much wrestling to watch it was crazy. My schedule looked a little like this: Saturday morning- Smoky Mountain, Saturday Afternoon- WWF Superstars and UWF (at 1pm), Saturday night- WCW Saturday Night, late night Saturdays/Sundays (around 11pm-midnight- ECW. On Sundays it was usually some mixture of the promotions. It's nothing like that today, in fact there are more networks showing reruns of Matlock than are showing wrestling (and in some cases more people are watching these reruns as well).

With the news on New Japan Pro Wrestling being brought to AXS instead of a promotion like TNA or ROH the American wrestling market is looking flabby and sick. AXS could have had TNA iMPACT live but instead chose to go with NJPW shows that are a year old, and by the time they air...will be almost two years old. That's embarrassing for the #2 promotion in the country.

Does any of this matter in the age of the internet? People who want to see these shows could always look for them online. That's always a good argument...except with TV comes sponsorships, commercials and the like which bring more money and exposure to their product and increases it's worth to the fan. So sure I can bootleg an episode of Impact but I can't sit down and watch it on TV like I could before which makes me less likely to follow It (speaking for myself now).

So I Jono, wrestling fan, as of January 2015 will only have access to WWE Raw/Smackdown...and two year old NJPW programs. Could it be that we are slowly seeing the death of professional wrestling in the United States? WWE can only carry the load so far, without competition and other national networks interested in showcasing different products I think so. Eventually TNA will be off TV altogether and both LUG and ROH will still be a small time niche programs that people will primarily follow online, soon there will be no wrestling on TV other than WWE and that will be sad as 🤬 .

Comments

• Idiopathic JokerIdiopathic Joker PISTOL GRIP PUMP IN MY LAP AT ALL TIMES Working On My LowriderMembers, Moderators Posts: 45,690 Regulator
    A lot of networks are hesitant to get into professional wrestling if it isn't wwe. Pro wrestling still carries a stigma of being for a certain demographic that isn't important. The only reason USA still carries Raw is because they're proven to be success.

• jonojono Right fist = power, left fist = unity Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True but the stigma also effects WWE's business. The network is struggling, ratings for both Raw and Smackdown are at best stagnant, this isn't just because people aren't enjoying WWE programming it's also because wrestling in general is in a funk.
  • 5th Letter5th Letter Black Identified Extremist Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    At least Spike TV didn't do TNA like TNT did WCW. They gave them a chance to find a new network unlike TNT that just pulled the plug with little to no notice.
    WCW knew it was being dropped because Turner lost control of the network though. TNA was just flat out canceled like a bad TV show and allowed to stay on the network because I guess they can wait to air all these Cops reruns they got.
  • 5th Letter5th Letter Black Identified Extremist Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    jono wrote: »
    WCW knew it was being dropped because Turner lost control of the network though. TNA was just flat out canceled like a bad TV show and allowed to stay on the network because I guess they can wait to air all these Cops reruns they got.

No, keep in mind that WCW was apart of the Turner family. Nitro and Thunder got dropped without notice. Once they dropped the shows that was the end. Bishoff bought WCW and was going to have control over it, TNT was just going to air the shows without Turner being responsible for paying the talent. Turner didn't want wrestling anymore and couldn't wait to get it off their airwaves. Had they given Bishoff time to find a new tv deal WCW is probably still around today.
  • DOPEdweebzDOPEdweebz What title? www.facebook.com/DOPEdweebzMembers, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    People don't care about TNA either way.
  • twizza 77twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5th Letter wrote: »

No, keep in mind that WCW was apart of the Turner family. Nitro and Thunder got dropped without notice. Once they dropped the shows that was the end. Bishoff bought WCW and was going to have control over it, TNT was just going to air the shows without Turner being responsible for paying the talent. Turner didn't want wrestling anymore and couldn't wait to get it off their airwaves. Had they given Bishoff time to find a new tv deal WCW is probably still around today.

Turner wanted to keep WCW if he could, but with the merger it was out of his control.
  • Idiopathic JokerIdiopathic Joker PISTOL GRIP PUMP IN MY LAP AT ALL TIMES Working On My LowriderMembers, Moderators Posts: 45,690 Regulator

Yea, all they show is cops. That's weird
    twizza 77 wrote: »
    5th Letter wrote: »

Turner wanted to keep WCW if he could, but with the merger it was out of his control.

I don't mean Ted I meant the Turner company.
  • Max.Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭

• genocidecuttergenocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JokerKing wrote: »

Yea, all they show is cops. That's weird

Word all they show is cops all 🤬 day

That's TNA's fault. I started watching it because it was so different from WWE, I liked the faster paced X-division matches, the 6-sided ring and the fact that they had a few big names from my childhood still around. It made for an interesting show.

Then slowly but surely it became a show dominated by older guys and talking segments (bad ones at that).

The final straw for me was when TNA went through that phase of making mini version of big stars. Almost overnight we has Petey Williams become mini Scott Steiner, Black Machismo, "The Nature Boy" AJ Styles and Samoan Tazz, I was done with TNA right there.

I kept watching out of habit though because I like wrestling and then they had a bit of a resurgence when Bobby Roode began feuding with James Storm over the title and Beer Money broke up.

Then it died again, it just became uninspired.

They rebooted too many times, it lacks identify as an organization and that's why nobody will watch it consistently. Ring of Honor knows what it is and does what they do, other promotions know what they are and how to entertain their fan base...TNA didn't.
  • rapmusicrapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wwe needed competition. I knew this would happen when WCW died. I mean WCW was gonna fall off eventually because it got corny but they could've come back if they had a chance. TNA is cool I guess but it really seems like they just want to exist without putting up a big enough fight. They be taking shortcuts and 🤬 playing with scared money. You got to spend money to make money and I don't mean just putting it in wrestlers pockets,
    TNA sucks. It's not just a fun thing to say anymore they literally suck. The management sucks, the characters suck, their creative sucks, and it makes their show suck. Just about the only good thing is in between the ropes because most of the talent at least know wtf they are doing even if they have no direction and you find it hard to care.

The Carters need to sell the company, Dixie is the worst. I don't mean sell it to the McMahons either I mean sell it to anyone who will bother to run it. Then maybe TNA will have a chance, because they have no chance right now.
    When they went up against Raw on Monday Nights, I was like hell yea, that's what they need.

Then a month later, they pussied out and went back to Thursdays.

Lost respect for them ever since.
  • Mally_GMally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JokerKing wrote: »
    When they went up against Raw on Monday Nights, I was like hell yea, that's what they need.

Then a month later, they pussied out and went back to Thursdays.

Lost respect for them ever since.

Yeah, they should have kept the show on Monday's and threw EVERYTHING against the wall and saw where it all eventually went.

I don't remember if pressure from the network forced them back to Thursdays, or that Dixie duped someone from the network into believing they could compete on a ratings level if they moved to Monday, and it all blew up in her face. She must have lost any sort of support and leverage after the ratings didn't change or declined.
  • DOPEdweebzDOPEdweebz What title? www.facebook.com/DOPEdweebzMembers, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    TNA was getting killed on Monday going up against WWE and its ratings took a nosedive from the initial week. It made no financial sense to stay there at all.

You would have to be a 🤬 to stay in that time slot.

Yall don't even watch it on Wednesday night.
  • TheBoyRoTheBoyRo Members Posts: 13,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should have never toured full time last yr
  • BangEm_Bart BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A good marketing scheme would be to place it on Sundays.