What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Wow, colorism proved

A Talented One
A Talented One stewMembers Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
edited May 2015 in For The Grown & Sexy
Just found out about this paper. Haven't had a chance to read it yet but it is supposed to show that the lighter a black woman is the more likely she is to get married, and that lighter-skinned women marry higher-earning men than darker-skinned women.

The abstract:

The inter-racial marriage gap that opened in the past 50 years is generally attributed to a decline in the availability of young black marriageable men. We contend that the associated shortage of desirable men in the marriage market provides those black men who are sought after with the opportunity to attain a high status spouse, which has placed a premium on black women with lighter skin. We provide evidence, based on data drawn from the Multi City Study of Urban Inequality, consistent with this hypothesis. Our theoretical analysis of the marriage market reveals that marriage promotion policies to increase the desire to marry on the part of young black women will serve to exacerbate the importance attached to skin shade.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0167268109001577

Edit: found a free copy of the paper: http://epublications.bond.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1015&context=gdc

Comments

• So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    🤬 .
  • Stiff
    Stiff Legion of Trill BG Members Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bra….
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One stew Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Stiff wrote: »
    bra….

What's the problem?
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    bra….

What's the problem?

People are going to marry who they want, 🤬 out of here with this 🤬 .
  • A Talented One
    So ILL wrote: »
    bra….

What's the problem?

So if colorism exists it's not a problem?
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Nothing left to prove Bay Area, CAMembers Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2015
    bra….

What's the problem?

Unless you can create your own media outlet and indoctrinate everyone into it, what's your solution?
  • A Talented One
    bra….

What's the problem?

Unless you can create your own media outlet and indoctrinate everyone into it, what's your solution?

That's a complicated issue. A lot of people don't believe it is a real phenomenon in the first place, and this thread is directed at those people. For if there are no flaws in this paper, it will provide very powerful evidence that colorism does indeed exist.
  • jono
    jono Right fist = power, left fist = unity Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Umm yeah colorism was proven decades ago. Where the 🤬 you been?
  • A Talented One
    jono wrote: »
    Umm yeah colorism was proven decades ago. Where the 🤬 you been?

Proved this rigorously?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Absence makes the heart grow fonder of someone else Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because it's consistent with their hypothesis doesn't prove any sort of causal relationship
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol

U are consistent t/s i will say that

The only thing further i have to add is i hate how ppl like to either deny colorism is a problem

Or frame discussions involving colorism and how some blk men may prepuate it as being an attack on a persons right to date who they please

No one is saying there is anything inherently wrong with dating, marrying a light skinned person...black ppl come in all colors

Plus sexual attraction is largely something out of our control

But its not just some random preference

And its not the same as women preferring a taller man...or a man preferring a women with meat on her bones

Unless u believe there's an evolutionary basis or that's it something inherent for a dark skinned individuals to prefer light skin

Otherwise u have it believe it comes from somewhere

My thougt is growing up in places like america plays a big part in why an individual of color may lusts after mostly ppl with light or lighter skinned tones

Same as with racism, bigotry...colorism is something learned, taught

We can't undo the damage of hundreds of years of being programming, but we can acknowledge and put an end to the part we playing in perpetuating the division
  • Stiff
    Lol

The only thing further i have to add is i hate how ppl like to either deny colorism is a problem

Or frame discussions involving colorism and how some blk men may prepuate it as being an attack on a persons right to date who they please

No one is saying there is anything inherently wrong with dating, marrying a light skinned person...black ppl come in all colors

And its not the same as women preferring a taller man...or a man preferring a women with meat on her bones

Unless u believe there's an evolutionary basis or that's it something inherent for a dark skinned individuals to prefer light skin

My thougt is growing up in places like america plays a big part in why an individual of color may lusts after mostly ppl with light or lighter skinned tones

We can't undo the damage of hundreds of years of being programming, but we can acknowledge and put an end to the part we playing in perpetuating the division

What if a Black man prefers light skinned women but finds white women repulsive
  • desertrain10
    Lol

I dunno

I would say its possible for this person to be repulsed by the likeness of his oppressor but at the same time also pine for a woman whose physical characteristics he subconsciously associates with power, status, class, beauty, etc
  • Stiff
    Lol

I dunno

I would say its possible for this person to be repulsed by the likeness of his oppressor but at the same time also pine for a woman whose physical characteristics he subconsciously associates with power, status, class, beauty, etc

So a dude can't just genuinely prefer one skin tone over the other? It's always going to be tied back to white supremacist conditioning?
  • babelipsss
    babelipsss Members Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes colorism was a tool invented by whites. But it is black people who keep it alive. A black child knows exactly where they fall on the color scale by the time they are four and they didn't get it from whites. A little girl knows if her hair is classified as "good" or "bad" by the time she's three, and it wasn't because someone left a Cosmo magazine laying around. We (AA) need to stop feeding into the foolishness. It's like a disease. But I guess it's easier to blame whitey and keep it going for yet another generation than to just step out of groupthink. Or maybe get rid of all lightskinned women. LS men don't seem to be a problem.
  • desertrain10
    Lol

I dunno

So a dude can't just genuinely prefer one skin tone over the other? It's always going to be tied back to white supremacist conditioning?

If maybe his mother is that skin tone

Or he himself is that skin tone

Otherwise its hard for me to believe that given our history and present it just so happens to be something he prefers

Same thing with anyone who cannot find beauty in all shades of ppl ...limits their dating options to one shade of ppl... prefers a s/o 3 shades lighter than their own skin tone...believes light skin ppl to be the epitome of beauty

It's all psychological/has to do with social conditioning
  • Ubuntu1
    Ubuntu1 Members Posts: 852 ✭✭✭

I think it's the exact same thing. Your 'body' doesn't care that a preference for a particular complexion might be the one politically incorrect physical preference to have because of it's negative social implications.

It wouldn't be inherent for dark skinned individuals to prefer lighter skinned people even if there is an evolutionary factor involved in a preference for lighter skinned people. Many people have preferences that contradict conventional standards of attractiveness that might have an evolutionary basis.

Lighter skin retains vitamin D better than darker skin does and apparently this is crucial to healthy pregnancies (I can't remember but I think women also need more vitamin D for other reasons). Also, the men in every ethnic group are, on average, darker than the women, I don't know what that implies. Lighter skinned women (and men, I'm sure) have been the standard of beauty in some cultures prior to European contact.

Just because culture influences a preference for people who are lighter wouldn't necessarily indicate someone's having being conditioned by white supremacy. Culture and environment interact with biology to influence preferences for traits that have nothing to do with complexion, the same is true for preferences regarding complexion. If you think and speak in English then you have been heavily influenced by European culture, even if you don't consciously or 'sub-consciously' ascribe to any form of white supremacy.
    If maybe his mother is that skin tone

Or he himself is that skin tone

I don't understand why his complexion or his mother's complexion would make a preference for lighter women less indicative of his having internalized white supremacy (I guess I can understand why if he wants a woman who resembles his mother but I don't think that negates the possibility of his having internalized white supremacy or even thinking she's more beautiful because she's lighter, I mean I don't see why it would be any more justified or how you can be sure it's because he wants a woman who resembles his mother). If you're not attracted to your own mother I don't understand why her complexion would play a role in your being attracted to women with a similar complexion and being light skinned yourself wouldn't mean that you couldn't view yourself as more attractive than dark skinned people because you've internalized white supremacy. If someone's dark skinned mother was abusive would that 'justify' his not being attracted to dark skinned women?

There may be some men who aren't really more attracted to light skinned women but date them because they view them as status symbols or some people who marry lighter skinned people or interracially so their children won't have their racial features (in and of itself I don't think black or non-black people wanting mixed children is necessarily a bad thing or indicative of self-hatred although it shouldn't be the reason someone enters a relationship).

I don't understand why a physical preference for a race of men or women necessarily constitutes 'fetishizing' them. I can understand the problem if the preference is based on stereotypes or the 'idea' of being in a relationship with someone of a particular group but not a physical preference. An Asian man who prefers Asian women will probably feel connected to Asian women in a way that most white men will not because his mother and the women of his family are Asian women but if you criticize a white man's preference for Asian women you have to criticize an Asian man's preference for Asian women (maybe the white man's preference is based on the physical appearance of Asian women alone or maybe he does relate to Asian women in a similar way because he has lots of Asian friends, is interested in Asian cultures and so on), hold them to the same standard. Complexion is a part of someone's physical appearance, people have to notice it. A preference for one complexion or 'race' over another is fundamentally no different than a preference for one gender over the other.
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta STFUMembers Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh 🤬 .... Here yall go with this "self hate" convo.