What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Shaq and Kobe VS Shaq and Penny...

Peace_79
Peace_79 SionGuests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in From the Cheap Seats
What if Shaq never left for LA and Penny flourished as a superstar without any major injuries...
Think of that 90s Magic team with all of that talent and balanced depth.

They did get torched by a more experienced Rockets team, but failure is the best teacher. Just ask MJ.
Can you imagine 7-10 years of that duo only getting better year over year?

What type of damage could they have done?
Dynasty?
Comparable to the Shaq and Kobe Lakers?


I know Shaq and Kobe are in the Hall. But answer the question honestly. Sound off below...

screen-shot-2014-02-26-at-114656-ampng-b2e07f354a78b25f.png

kobe-bryant-shaq.jpg

Shaq and Kobe VS Shaq and Penny... 26 votes

They would have gotten 3+ rings - DYNASTY
19%
miamivice305700esco sopranoSo ILLyahwehprofet 5 votes
They may have gotten a ring or two
69%
S2Jsouth4lifethe ghostd.greenICE aka XKnightryderraisethe3TheBoyRonumbaz...80's babyA$AP_A$TONCockMcStuffinsTrillfateYoung Stefluke1733LustchyldThe Iconoclastmikelewis2Peace_79 18 votes
Penny was just okay... They wouldn't have sniffed the Finals again
11%
PanchoYoSanchoTHIRDSUPREMESolitary Soldier 3 votes
«1

Comments

  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis You ever dance with the Devil in the pale moonlight? Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Even if Penny's injury history was erased, Bean at his peak was better than Penny was or could've been. Penny would've been a lot more comfortable playing second fiddle though.
  • Knightryder
    Knightryder Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may have gotten a ring or two
    No knock on penny, shaq was dominant as 🤬 , but people tend
    to forget the type of teams that shaq and kobe had to go
    through in the west to get to the finals........

    Those teams were no joke, and im not too sure if i take kobe out
    and put penny in, that we end up with the same outcome

    the 2000 portland trailblazers, 2002 sacramento kings
    and any version of the spurs back than were tough.......those 3 teams
    were deep as 🤬 , not to mention dallas back than with nash finley and dirk

  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    01 Spurs team (that Lakers swept) had the MVP Duncan and gets forgotten alot as one of those championship lvl teams Lakers had to beat, Kobe dominated that series....

    If Shaq stayed with Penny (injured or not) I don't see him winning no rings and he would've been remembered as a more dominant ringless version of David Robinson....
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They would have gotten 3+ rings - DYNASTY
    Him and Penny would've been just as, if not more dominant as he was with Kobe. 🤬 forget that Penny was getting at Mike in the nineties, and he was well on his way to a hall of fame career if not for the injuries. And everybody is bringing up the Western Conference in the 00's like the East in the 90's was a walk in the park. You had the Bulls, Knicks and Pacers as championship-caliber damn near every year of the decade, not to mention the Bullets/Wizards (with Webber, Howard, Cheaney and nem), the Heat (with Zo and Tim Hardaway), and Charlotte (with Glen Rice) having consistently solid teams. Shaq and Penny would have had just as much work back then, too.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Boy, I tell you that's vision Like Tony Romo when he hitting Witten Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ifs Never Happen

    🤬 not even comparable.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ifs Never Happen

    🤬 not even comparable.

    Basically, this thread is pointless.. I made my decision based on what actually happened and what happened was Penny (at his best) and Shaq didn't win so it's safe to say if Shaq stayed that would remain the case, which is why he left AFTER Lakers drafted Kobe which ppl were sayin was the next Jordan, bc his supporting cast he had in Orlando as whole isn't even close to what he had in LA...
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ILL wrote: »
    Him and Penny would've been just as, if not more dominant as he was with Kobe. 🤬 forget that Penny was getting at Mike in the nineties, and he was well on his way to a hall of fame career if not for the injuries. And everybody is bringing up the Western Conference in the 00's like the East in the 90's was a walk in the park. You had the Bulls, Knicks and Pacers as championship-caliber damn near every year of the decade, not to mention the Bullets/Wizards (with Webber, Howard, Cheaney and nem), the Heat (with Zo and Tim Hardaway), and Charlotte (with Glen Rice) having consistently solid teams. Shaq and Penny would have had just as much work back then, too.

    If Shaq stayed in that garbage East with Penny he would've possibly seen more Finals in the early 00s but whoever came out the West if it were to be Portland in 00,Spurs in 01 or Kings in 02 they would easily walk away with the title just like Houston did in 95...
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Sion Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may have gotten a ring or two
    Yeah. 🤬 sleeping on Penny like they expecting a visit from tooth fairy.
    blu197 wrote: »
    Ifs Never Happen

    🤬 not even comparable.

    Basically, this thread is pointless.. I made my decision based on what actually happened and what happened was Penny (at his best) and Shaq didn't win so it's safe to say if Shaq stayed that would remain the case, which is why he left AFTER Lakers drafted Kobe which ppl were sayin was the next Jordan, bc his supporting cast he had in Orlando as whole isn't even close to what he had in LA...


    Lol. Y'all 🤬 me man.
    So putting Steph Curry in the Hall of Fame ahead of Isiah Thomas, Steve Nash, etc isn't premature or presumptuous; but this hypothetical is too far fetched to entertain?

    Homie, you saying that because Shaq and Penny got to the Finals and lost one time... That they would have been garbage if they stayed together in both their respective Primes?

    That is a ridiculous argument. Would you say that about Jordan after he lost to the Pistons?
    Different player, different caliber, but same principle.


    I agree Kobe is better than Penny any way you slice it. But yall remembering history differently cuz it's convenient. Penny had HOF potential...
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They would have gotten 3+ rings - DYNASTY
    blu197 wrote: »
    So ILL wrote: »
    Him and Penny would've been just as, if not more dominant as he was with Kobe. 🤬 forget that Penny was getting at Mike in the nineties, and he was well on his way to a hall of fame career if not for the injuries. And everybody is bringing up the Western Conference in the 00's like the East in the 90's was a walk in the park. You had the Bulls, Knicks and Pacers as championship-caliber damn near every year of the decade, not to mention the Bullets/Wizards (with Webber, Howard, Cheaney and nem), the Heat (with Zo and Tim Hardaway), and Charlotte (with Glen Rice) having consistently solid teams. Shaq and Penny would have had just as much work back then, too.

    If Shaq stayed in that garbage East with Penny he would've possibly seen more Finals in the early 00s but whoever came out the West if it were to be Portland in 00,Spurs in 01 or Kings in 02 they would easily walk away with the title just like Houston did in 95...

    It would've been tough, but easily? 🤬 , please, any team Shaq was on in his prime (99-03) was never going to be easily beaten.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ILL wrote: »
    blu197 wrote: »
    So ILL wrote: »
    Him and Penny would've been just as, if not more dominant as he was with Kobe. 🤬 forget that Penny was getting at Mike in the nineties, and he was well on his way to a hall of fame career if not for the injuries. And everybody is bringing up the Western Conference in the 00's like the East in the 90's was a walk in the park. You had the Bulls, Knicks and Pacers as championship-caliber damn near every year of the decade, not to mention the Bullets/Wizards (with Webber, Howard, Cheaney and nem), the Heat (with Zo and Tim Hardaway), and Charlotte (with Glen Rice) having consistently solid teams. Shaq and Penny would have had just as much work back then, too.

    If Shaq stayed in that garbage East with Penny he would've possibly seen more Finals in the early 00s but whoever came out the West if it were to be Portland in 00,Spurs in 01 or Kings in 02 they would easily walk away with the title just like Houston did in 95...

    It would've been tough, but easily? 🤬 , please, any team Shaq was on in his prime (99-03) was never going to be easily beaten.

    Shaq got swept in 99 (before Kobes' big jump as a player) and Spurs beat them pretty easily in 03...
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    Yeah. 🤬 sleeping on Penny like they expecting a visit from tooth fairy.
    blu197 wrote: »
    Ifs Never Happen

    🤬 not even comparable.

    Basically, this thread is pointless.. I made my decision based on what actually happened and what happened was Penny (at his best) and Shaq didn't win so it's safe to say if Shaq stayed that would remain the case, which is why he left AFTER Lakers drafted Kobe which ppl were sayin was the next Jordan, bc his supporting cast he had in Orlando as whole isn't even close to what he had in LA...


    Lol. Y'all 🤬 me man.
    So putting Steph Curry in the Hall of Fame ahead of Isiah Thomas, Steve Nash, etc isn't premature or presumptuous; but this hypothetical is too far fetched to entertain?

    Homie, you saying that because Shaq and Penny got to the Finals and lost one time... That they would have been garbage if they stayed together in both their respective Primes?

    That is a ridiculous argument. Would you say that about Jordan after he lost to the Pistons?
    Different player, different caliber, but same principle.


    I agree Kobe is better than Penny any way you slice it. But yall remembering history differently cuz it's convenient. Penny had HOF potential...

    Calm down 🤬 , nobody said Curry>>Zeke yet, and nobody said if Shaq and Penny continued they would be garbage, i said they wouldn't win a ring and what supports my theory is the actions made by Shaq himself to get out.... Also you bringing up Jordan and the Pistons got nothing to do with nothing..
  • The Iconoclast
    The Iconoclast harbinger of existential angst Members Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may have gotten a ring or two
    Kobe was just an overall more talented player, and although Penny and Shaq would've had a better relationship because Penny in his prime was an unselfish player who loved dishing out assists, they wouldn't have won as much as Kobe and Shaq did.

    To illustrate my point about talent differences...
    Penny went to college and stayed 3 years before he entered the league. The highest PPG he ever averaged was 21.7.

    Kobe came straight out of highschool and by his 5th year in the league he was dropping 28.5, 6 and 5 per game.

    So we're talking two different animals here, plus we haven't brought up the fact that the teams both duos had around each other were different and LA is huge media market that attracts free agents while Orlando isn't.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Sion Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    They may have gotten a ring or two
    blu197 wrote: »
    Peace_79 wrote: »
    Yeah. 🤬 sleeping on Penny like they expecting a visit from tooth fairy.
    blu197 wrote: »
    Ifs Never Happen

    🤬 not even comparable.

    Basically, this thread is pointless.. I made my decision based on what actually happened and what happened was Penny (at his best) and Shaq didn't win so it's safe to say if Shaq stayed that would remain the case, which is why he left AFTER Lakers drafted Kobe which ppl were sayin was the next Jordan, bc his supporting cast he had in Orlando as whole isn't even close to what he had in LA...


    Lol. Y'all 🤬 me man.
    So putting Steph Curry in the Hall of Fame ahead of Isiah Thomas, Steve Nash, etc isn't premature or presumptuous; but this hypothetical is too far fetched to entertain?

    Homie, you saying that because Shaq and Penny got to the Finals and lost one time... That they would have been garbage if they stayed together in both their respective Primes?

    That is a ridiculous argument. Would you say that about Jordan after he lost to the Pistons?
    Different player, different caliber, but same principle.


    I agree Kobe is better than Penny any way you slice it. But yall remembering history differently cuz it's convenient. Penny had HOF potential...

    Calm down 🤬 , nobody said Curry>>Zeke yet, and nobody said if Shaq and Penny continued they would be garbage, i said they wouldn't win a ring and what supports my theory is the actions made by Shaq himself to get out.... Also you bringing up Jordan and the Pistons got nothing to do with nothing..

    Lol. Well, actually your homeboy did put Curry above Zeke and several others. I think the word he used was "clown" - but I digress.

    I must have misread your argument. You think they would get close to a title and not get one. I respect your opinion.

    I just respectfully disagree.
    Mainly on account of your supporting argument - "because Shaq left". Players leave for a million and one reasons - chief of which is money. At that point the Magic were better than the Lakers- he didn't leave because he thought the Magic couldn't win...

    For the record the Mike argument is to bring folks back down to earth when they try to over penalize young players for early failures in the playoffs. That is never a great argument ...
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Sion Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may have gotten a ring or two
    Ifs Never Happen

    🤬 not even comparable.

    Lol @ "not comparable"

    Why not, 🤬 ?

    -Shaq + Explosive Gaurd .... VS Shaq + Explosive Gaurd
    -You could take the Shaq Magic VS the Shaq Lakers
    -Or replace Kobe with Penny On the Lakers and project the results.

    It wouldn't 🤬 you to answer a hypothetical question... The world will keep spinning after you hit "send"
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may have gotten a ring or two
    1)They beat a rusty Jordan nh

    2) Penny was not/wasn't going to be better than Kobe

    Next!
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Sion Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may have gotten a ring or two
    Kobe was just an overall more talented player, and although Penny and Shaq would've had a better relationship because Penny in his prime was an unselfish player who loved dishing out assists, they wouldn't have won as much as Kobe and Shaq did.

    To illustrate my point about talent differences...
    Penny went to college and stayed 3 years before he entered the league. The highest PPG he ever averaged was 21.7.

    Kobe came straight out of highschool and by his 5th year in the league he was dropping 28.5, 6 and 5 per game.

    So we're talking two different animals here, plus we haven't brought up the fact that the teams both duos had around each other were different and LA is huge media market that attracts free agents while Orlando isn't.

    Very sound argument and a Fair assessment.
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    They may have gotten a ring or two
    At that time, i couldn't believe Shaq broke that team up when he did.


  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Sion Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may have gotten a ring or two
    For those of you sleeping on Penny, consider the following:

    Dude was a 6'7" pure point guard who could score at will. He never put up gaudy PPG, but remember he was a point guard... He never played the 2 spot and wasn't a volume shooter.

    Steph Curry averages ~24 PPG. How great was he this year? What does his trajectory look like?

    Penny's peak PPG was ~ 22 PPG ... And he was just entering his prime...

    And let's not talk about the defense, athleticism and size that he brought to the PG position.

    Yall forget that people were legitimately comparing Penny as the next MJ- he had the stats and talent to back it up. Shaq and Penny were on their way to being one of the most potent duos in league history.


    He's no Kobe Bryant- but I have always been curious as to how good he Magic could have been ...

  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Penny was that dude
  • south4life
    south4life Bama Repesenta! Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may have gotten a ring or two
    If Shaq never left, Chicago would have had a harder road to the last three peat, ain't no telling who they could have got in free agency to join them. They just needed one piece to get them over the 🤬 .
  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may have gotten a ring or two
    Meh.....

    Who knows?
  • Trollio
    Trollio Trollololololololololol Members Posts: 25,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Penny got top 5 shoes

  • Bulletproof Wallets
    Bulletproof Wallets Members Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trollio wrote: »
    Penny got top 5 shoes

    Best Post in July.
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Jersey bredMembers Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They would have gotten 3+ rings - DYNASTY
    Shaq and Penny would have gotten it done.
  • Peace_79
    Peace_79 Sion Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They may have gotten a ring or two
    Shaq and Penny would have gotten it done.

    🤬 sleeping on Penny like they just got a visit from the tooth fairy.

    Amnesia-having Ass 🤬
Sign In or Register to comment.