What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

The 90s Pyramid of Female Groups RnB Excllence

DOPEdweebzDOPEdweebz What title?www.facebook.com/DOPEdweebzMembers, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
edited July 2015 in R&B & Alternatives
tumblr_naq3u8erKU1qbqem3o1_r1_540.jpg
tumblr_naq3u8erKU1qbqem3o3_r1_540.jpg
tumblr_naq3u8erKU1qbqem3o2_r1_540.jpg
tumblr_naq3u8erKU1qbqem3o4_r1_540.jpg
Credit: Complex

Comments

• DOPEdweebzDOPEdweebz What title? www.facebook.com/DOPEdweebzMembers, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    I thought we had more 90s heads in here
  • playmaker88playmaker88 Boy, I tell you that's vision Like Tony Romo when he hitting Witten Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outside of the allstars and icons i probably only heard of 2 or 3 more groups
  • NapoleonBlakkNapoleonBlakk Members Posts: 53 ✭✭
    edited July 2015
    I'm surprised they didn't mention B.G.O.T.I. since Oobie had some success w/ Lil Jon.

But besides the Icons, the All-Stars and the Hitmakers, I actually remember most of those other groups, back when they had songs on the radio and videos on The Box, FlavaTV, etc. I still have Elusion's album and Allure's first album, which are two of my personal favorites.

I remember Tenderoni being on the Soul Food soundtrack, I don't think they even released an album.
  • buttuh_bbuttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWV the best.
  • LONDON!LONDON! Members Posts: 679 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    artists i'm checking for the most from that list
    swv
    702's first album
    allure first album
    assorted phlavors
    total's first album
    sista
    jade & mokenstef & xscape, tlc, destiny child & nuttin nyce, brownstone, en vogue had individual bangers, you get what i'm saying

honurable mention too pointer sisters, they got busy in the 80's

but yo fam, i heard this one tune from sugah back in the day, they were linked too erick sermon's click, but i can't find any info on them on at all on the net, like there historys been erased or sumthin, ha ha, on some cia type bizness for real, but yo, have you got a name of there tunes or album?
  • kuskklassickuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    what about Changing Faces ??
  • kuskklassickuskklassic Members Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭✭
    Zhane?
  • Mister B.Mister B. Still the Devil's #1 Advocate. Come on out that box! Members, Writer Posts: 16,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kut Klose was better than people think, but the singles they had were some good music.

• BenjaminEBenjaminE Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lightskin chick from Before Dark went to my college... I wanted to holla but I was a lowly freshman then...
    LONDON! wrote: »
    artists i'm checking for the most from that list
    swv
    702's first album
    allure first album
    assorted phlavors
    total's first album
    sista
    jade & mokenstef & xscape, tlc, destiny child & nuttin nyce, brownstone, en vogue had individual bangers, you get what i'm saying

honurable mention too pointer sisters, they got busy in the 80's

but yo fam, i heard this one tune from sugah back in the day, they were linked too erick sermon's click, but i can't find any info on them on at all on the net, like there historys been erased or sumthin, ha ha, on some cia type bizness for real, but yo, have you got a name of there tunes or album?

@LONDON!

Sugah was Tweet's group... they were affiliated with Devante Swing, Timbaland and them...

This thread has a little info on them...

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/459348/da-bassment-crew-aka-swing-mob-the-genius-of-devante-swing-appreciation-thread

Sadly, most of the links are down...
  • freshb651freshb651 Members Posts: 8,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BenjaminE wrote: »
    The lightskin chick from Before Dark went to my college... I wanted to holla but I was a lowly freshman then...

COWARD
    freshb651 wrote: »
    BenjaminE wrote: »

COWARD

Quiet, you...
  • mldardymldardy Members Posts: 188 ✭✭
    Xscape doesn't belong in the icons category.
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mldardy wrote: »
    Xscape doesn't belong in the icons category.

Surprise to me too, but I guess they do fit the criteria set forth in the graphic.

People talk about how Rap has fallen off since the 90s, but R&B has fallen much further. When you look at those groups and the male groups too, you have to wonder what happened.
  • SneakDZASneakDZA damn, am I a sinner? Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yo they gotta swap Destiny's Child & Xscape
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    Yo they gotta swap Destiny's Child & Xscape

Nah, remember, they are talking about the 90s. A fair amount of Destiny's Child's success came in the 00s.
    edited October 2015
    Yeah I was thinking that was the logic but in my opinion it's a technicality. Either way Xscape gotta come down though. I could see Total up there before them.
    Damn they couldn't give Zhane an honorable mention?
  • jee504jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing that list just makes me miss 90s R&B more
    They should do one for male groups too. That what be interesting to see.

What the hell happened to R&B groups anyway? Historically, most R&B acts were groups. Now, all of a sudden, there are none.
  • jee504jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They should do one for male groups too. That what be interesting to see.

What the hell happened to R&B groups anyway? Historically, most R&B acts were groups. Now, all of a sudden, there are none.

IMO. R&B got saturated with too many features from rappers. That line got skewed a long time ago with rappers trying to be singers and vice versa. It was like they had gotten desperate just to be heard and 'sold out' for a feature. The talent came from the singing, what they were singing about, and the emotions of said song.
    I haven't listened to a true R&B album in years now. I mean true by being slow songs with a few uptempo tracks.
    Nowadays, you'll have slow songs, pop songs, etc. on albums. Trying to cater to too many audiences now. That's where you lose your sound at.
  • DR. JEKDR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cant really argue with the placement of tge groups in the pyramid

I was just thinking about Jade the other day. This 🤬 use to go when i was twelve at the skating ring wit my sister, brother and cousin
  • harry knucklezharry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess Zhane & Changing Faces would probably be in the All-Stars section.....
    What hit did Zhane have besides "Hey Mr. DJ"
    What hit did Zhane have besides "Hey Mr. DJ"

"Sending My Love (Give Me a Call, Boo)" pause...