What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Bulls 1993-94 season, Pippen MVP, DPOY?

memphis2sacnicc
memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 2015 in From the Cheap Seats
Should Pippen have won the MVP for the 1993-94 season? The year Jordan left basketball to chase baseballs around. I mean I know Olajawon was ballin his ass off that year and ended up winning it. Let me break down the bulls season that year. They had just lost MJ to baseball after his dad died. They replaced him with Pete 🤬 ' Myers in the starting lineup.

The bulls were only expected to win about 45 games that year. They end up winning 55, only two less than what the Bulls won the previous year WITH Jordan. Pippen missed 10 games that year, so in reality, if he had played all 82 that year, they could have won 5-7 games more, making them a 60 win team without Jordan.

Now I know the playoffs don't really have a barring on the winner of the season mvp but the bulls were gonna make it to the NBA finals that year but the NBA and Hugh Hollins had other plans when he made that phantom call on Pippen. They wanted an Ewing vs. Olajawon finals matchup and they got what they wanted.

Another question, should Pippen have won the Defensive player award at least once in his career?
«1

Comments

  • O.G.
    O.G. GUILTY BY AFFILIATION. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think David Robinson had a better argument than Pippen that year. I think Pippen got in the MVP convo by the way he finished strong in April, winning player of the month (kinda how Westbrook finished strong this year). Olajuwon balled the 🤬 out that year tho. No complaints from me.
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    🤬 happened to Pete Myers after Jordan came back?
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what the hell happened to Pete Myers until years later when he became an assistant coach for the Bulls back in 2000
  • moyo
    moyo Members Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think so, Worst case scenario I think Pippen and Hakeem should have shared the mvp award that year.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O.G. wrote: »
    I think David Robinson had a better argument than Pippen that year. I think Pippen got in the MVP convo by the way he finished strong in April, winning player of the month (kinda how Westbrook finished strong this year). Olajuwon balled the 🤬 out that year tho. No complaints from me.
    How??? Bulls and Spurs had the same record that year. One lost the greatest of all time to baseball and got replaced with Pete Myers and the other gained the greatest rebounder of all time and HOFer in Rodman.

    Again how Sway????

    As far as what happened to Pete, he became irrelevant again until became an assistant coach yrs later.
  • O.G.
    O.G. GUILTY BY AFFILIATION. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    How??? Bulls and Spurs had the same record that year. One lost the greatest of all time to baseball and got replaced with Pete Myers and the other gained the greatest rebounder of all time and HOFer in Rodman.

    Again how Sway????

    Robinson had the same record as the Bulls but he also was in the same division with the MVP and World champs. The West was more competitive back then just like now. Chicago was second in their division to the Hawks. Robinson was player of the week 5 times while Pippen won it twice.
    Phil Jackson & Horace Grant>>>>John Lucas & Dennis Rodman. MJ left the Bulls but they still were the defending champs. It ain't like the cupboard was bare.

    Pippen had a great season but saying he did it without MJ is not enough of an argument to say his season was better than Olajuwon, Robinson or even Shaq's that year. And to top it off, Pippen missed 10 games that year.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    O.G. wrote: »
    How??? Bulls and Spurs had the same record that year. One lost the greatest of all time to baseball and got replaced with Pete Myers and the other gained the greatest rebounder of all time and HOFer in Rodman.

    Again how Sway????

    Robinson had the same record as the Bulls but he also was in the same division with the MVP and World champs. The West was more competitive back then just like now. Chicago was second in their division to the Hawks. Robinson was player of the week 5 times while Pippen won it twice.
    Phil Jackson & Horace Grant>>>>John Lucas & Dennis Rodman. MJ left the Bulls but they still were the defending champs. It ain't like the cupboard was bare.

    Pippen had a great season but saying he did it without MJ is not enough of an argument to say his season was better than Olajuwon, Robinson or even Shaq's that year. And to top it off, Pippen missed 10 games that year.
    I already said he missed 10 games that year, which u further helped my argument. In those 10 games he missed that year, the bulls only won 4 games, 40% my 🤬 . That's a lottery team in any era of da NBA. So much for Phil & Grant.

    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1994_games.html
  • matt2
    matt2 Members Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭
    "They wanted an Ewing vs. Olajawon finals matchup and they got what they wanted"

    Man I hate these arguments.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    matt2 wrote: »
    "They wanted an Ewing vs. Olajawon finals matchup and they got what they wanted"

    Man I hate these arguments.
    Well they did. Pippen vs Olajawon is not as marketable as Ewing vs Olajawon. Plus everybody was tired of seeing the bulls win it every year except Bulls fans.
  • matt2
    matt2 Members Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭
    matt2 wrote: »
    "They wanted an Ewing vs. Olajawon finals matchup and they got what they wanted"

    Man I hate these arguments.
    Well they did. Pippen vs Olajawon is not as marketable as Ewing vs Olajawon. Plus everybody was tired of seeing the bulls win it every year except Bulls fans.

    If the league always wanted certain matchup and did what it took to get those match ups then we'd always have the match ups that the league wanted
  • matt2
    matt2 Members Posts: 430 ✭✭✭✭
    It's just 1 of those arguments that people pick and choose when to apply.

    But carry on with the thread. No hate
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    matt2 wrote: »
    matt2 wrote: »
    "They wanted an Ewing vs. Olajawon finals matchup and they got what they wanted"

    Man I hate these arguments.
    Well they did. Pippen vs Olajawon is not as marketable as Ewing vs Olajawon. Plus everybody was tired of seeing the bulls win it every year except Bulls fans.

    If the league always wanted certain matchup and did what it took to get those match ups then we'd always have the match ups that the league wanted
    Not the league per say but the refs. Don't think Tim Donaghy was the only ref who was crooked. He just happened to be the only one who got caught.
  • O.G.
    O.G. GUILTY BY AFFILIATION. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    O.G. wrote: »
    How??? Bulls and Spurs had the same record that year. One lost the greatest of all time to baseball and got replaced with Pete Myers and the other gained the greatest rebounder of all time and HOFer in Rodman.

    Again how Sway????

    Robinson had the same record as the Bulls but he also was in the same division with the MVP and World champs. The West was more competitive back then just like now. Chicago was second in their division to the Hawks. Robinson was player of the week 5 times while Pippen won it twice.
    Phil Jackson & Horace Grant>>>>John Lucas & Dennis Rodman. MJ left the Bulls but they still were the defending champs. It ain't like the cupboard was bare.

    Pippen had a great season but saying he did it without MJ is not enough of an argument to say his season was better than Olajuwon, Robinson or even Shaq's that year. And to top it off, Pippen missed 10 games that year.
    I already said he missed 10 games that year, which u further helped my argument. In those 10 games he missed that year, the bulls only won 4 games, 40% my 🤬 . That's a lottery team in any era of da NBA. So much for Phil & Grant.

    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/CHI/1994_games.html

    My point is: If you miss work more than your comp, your body of work better set you apart from your competition. Pippen did not do that over Hakeem , David or Shaq imo. And when i say Phil Jackson & Horace Grant>>>>John Lucas & Dennis Rodman, i am talking about over the entire season not the 10 games Pippen missed. Robinson was 5 times the player of the week (most in the nba that year) while playing in the in the same division as the MVP. He has a better argument than Pippen.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why there is opinions and there is facts. Fact is the Bulls were 12-4 with Pippen playing against western conf opponents and they were 2-5 against wc opponents when he sat out due to injury.

    And I forgot to add, the hawks had a squad that year. Dominique was still Dominique. Kevin Willis was 19 & 12 every night but since he played in that era with great centers, it kind of went unnoticed. In today's game tho, he's top 3 big man in league. Danny manning, mookie blaylock, Stacy augmon ect. Mane they had a squad.

    Besides Robinson wasn't even in the runnngs that year. It was out of Pippen, Olajawon and Barkley. However Robinson did win it the following year and only cause he edged out shaq for the scoring title in the last gm of da season when his coach let him shoot 100 shots to score 71 points.
  • O.G.
    O.G. GUILTY BY AFFILIATION. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fact is the best player on teams that come in second in their own division will not win the mvp. (Unless he had a season unlike any other in the history of the game) Pippen did not do that. Hakeem won. No complaints from me.
  • O.G.
    O.G. GUILTY BY AFFILIATION. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just noticed you said Robinson won mvp bcuz he won the scoring title over Shaq. Ironically Robinson won the scoring title the year you claim Pippen should be mvp.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm biased and wanted Pippen to win but I have no problem with Olajuwon winning it. Pippen did have 2 all stars in Grant and Armstrong while Hakeem did it with a bunch of role players
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    O.G. wrote: »
    Just noticed you said Robinson won mvp bcuz he won the scoring title over Shaq. Ironically Robinson won the scoring title the year you claim Pippen should be mvp.

    Yea Olajuwon won it that year, but Pippen was just as deserving of it because of all the facts I mentioned.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm biased and wanted Pippen to win but I have no problem with Olajuwon winning it. Pippen did have 2 all stars in Grant and Armstrong while Hakeem did it with a bunch of role players
    Otis Thorpe and Cedric Maxwell put up the same numbers as grant and BJ, they just didn't get the nod in the west.
  • O.G.
    O.G. GUILTY BY AFFILIATION. Members Posts: 7,555 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    Besides Robinson wasn't even in the runnngs that year. It was out of Pippen, Olajawon and Barkley.

    But yet Robinson was not in the runnings for MVP that year. Fact.

    hPGWBCe.jpg

    http://www.basketball-reference.com/awards/awards_1994.html



    oly1.64169.1377011181image.gif
    We're done here.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hahaha

    No were not. Robinson played 80 games that year and could only net his team 55 wins. Pippen played 72 games and got 55 wins and was 12-4 against the "tougher" WC when he was in the lineup.

    Now we are done.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Lord High Executioner Members Posts: 18,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No and no
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know how or why 🤬 sleep on the Admiral so hard. 🤬 was an elite center in one of the toughest eras of the NBA for years lol.
  • memphis2sacnicc
    memphis2sacnicc Members Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ILL wrote: »
    I don't know how or why 🤬 sleep on the Admiral so hard. 🤬 was an elite center in one of the toughest eras of the NBA for years lol.
    That he was and me personally would never argue against that.

  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So ILL wrote: »
    I don't know how or why 🤬 sleep on the Admiral so hard. 🤬 was an elite center in one of the toughest eras of the NBA for years lol.

    Who sleeps on him? He's widely achnowledged as one of the great centers of all time but he was the 4th best center in that time frame
Sign In or Register to comment.