What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Lets Discuss Elite Quarterbacks

5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in From the Cheap Seats
The Definition Of An Elite Quarterback
  • A 5,000 yard passing season
  • A Superbowl ring


1. Drew Brees – 5,000+ yards = 2008, 2011, 2012, 2013/ Super Bowl XLIV
2. Tom Brady – 5,000+ yards = 2011/ Super Bowl XXXVI, XXXVIII, XXXIX, XLIX
3. Peyton Manning – 5,000+ yards = 2013/ Super Bowl XLI


The way I see it, 5,000+ yards passing means you're a GOAT QB but you might play for a suspect team (e.g. Drew Brees).

A Superbowl ring means you had the GOAT team but it doesn't necessarily mean you're the best QB that year. You might not have had the most passing yards out of all the Quarterbacks in the league but it means you rose to the occasion and didn't 🤬 under pressure. (e.g. Tom Brady)

If you've achieved both in your career it makes you an elite Quarterback. For some reason there's only 3 Quarterbacks in the Superbowl era that have achieved this feat and they're all active. Maybe because of how they've changed the rules so you can't hit Quarterbacks like you used to.

If those 3 Quarterbacks retired right now, who would you say is better, Drew Brees with 4 seasons with 5,000+ passing yards and one Super Bowl ring or Tom Brady with one 5,000+ yard passing season and 4 Superbowl rings? You might say a Superbowl ring >>> 5,000+ passing yards but if the rest of your team is suspect, you can't win a Superbowl no matter how many passing yards you have.

Add on.

Comments

  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis You ever dance with the Devil in the pale moonlight? Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Matt Stafford has a 5,000 yard season under his belt.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Boy, I tell you that's vision Like Tony Romo when he hitting Witten Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Man gtfoh.. 5000 yd.. The offense is built around them and they use the short game as a defacto running game,

    Russell Wilson
    Tony Romo
    Cam Newton
    Carson Palmer


    Scratch Manning..


    The first 3 i named are the best playmakers in the game .. They love to downplay that aspet that forgotten aspect of a qb.. To be a game changer when 🤬 isnt room temperature

    5000yds is not the measuring stick
  • grYmes
    grYmes Diversify your bonds...Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say if you're considered clutch, have a ring and the stats you are considered elite. The elite QBs to me right now...

    Brady
    Brees
    Rodgers
    Big Ben

    I'd throw in Peyton Manning usually but this year has been pretty 🤬 . Russell Wilson I think is next to take that spot. He's having a monster year statistically. Cam potentially could make a case depending on what he does in the playoffs.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't hate on Peyton Manning, this might be his last year. Yeah he's lost a step but he has 3 Superbowl appearances. One Superbowl ring and leads the NFL with most passing yards in a season.

    I get that Cam Newton, Ben Rothlesburger, Aaron Rogers, Matthew Stafford, etc. are great quarterbacks and they lead their teams to victory, but I'm talking about ELITE. I'm talking about the creme de la creme, the cream of the crop.

    Its like the 40/40 Club. How many baseball players have 40 steals and 40 home runs in a season?

    If you have a 5,000+ yard passing season and a Superbowl ring, you're not just a great Quarterback, you're an elite Quarterback.
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Matt Stafford has a 5,000 yard season under his belt.

    Matthew Stafford has a 5,000 yard seasons under his belt.

    Dan Marino has a 5,000 yard season under his belt.

    But neither of them won a Superbowl.

    This thread is about Quarterbacks that have a 5,000+ yard season and a Superbowl ring.


    Let's not use the word "elite" loosely. Its like when people discuss Hip Hop and they call everything a "classic". If you have a 5,000 yard season or a Super Bowl ring you'll go down as one of the greats. But if you have both you're in an elite club.

    I'd be interested to see if Eli Manning or Ben Rothlesburger can 🤬 5,000 yards. Rothlesburger threw for 4,952 yards in 2014 and Eli Manning threw for 4,933 in 2011. They both have Superbowl rings.

  • numbaz...80's baby
    numbaz...80's baby Members Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Did dude say Romo was an elite QB?


    Im done with this thread and never coming back.
  • MallyG
    MallyG I Take Myself Out on Dates Members Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan Marino wasn't an elite quarterback?



    Lmao ....🤬 and these stupid ass arbitrary formulas ....do you realize the difference between throwing for 5000 yards in 1985 and 2015?


    You know what ....never mind ...old ass dustball

    LOLOL
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT .........Tell your mother she has a cute mouth #GIANTS #2014/2012/2010 #FUCK.KCMembers Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    Did dude say Romo was an elite QB?


    Im done with this thread and never coming back.

    I HEARD THE 🤬 OUTTA THAT

  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dan Marino wasn't an elite quarterback?



    Lmao ....🤬 and these stupid ass arbitrary formulas ....do you realize the difference between throwing for 5000 yards in 1985 and 2015?


    You know what ....never mind ...old ass dustball

    Dan Marino might be an exception to the rule because he was the first QB to pass for 5,000 yards, but lets be honest with each other, he played a full career (17 seasons) and never won a Superbowl. That means he cracks under pressure. An elite Quarterback rises to the occasion and wins playoff games.


    But you say there's a difference between throwing for 5,000 yards in 1984 vs 2015. Please explain the difference. The field is 100 yards and you have four 15 minute quarters. There's still 11 men on the field. The ball is the same size. So how is it different?
  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i DARK VEDA KCMembers Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Dan Marino wasn't an elite quarterback?



    Lmao ....🤬 and these stupid ass arbitrary formulas ....do you realize the difference between throwing for 5000 yards in 1985 and 2015?


    You know what ....never mind ...old ass dustball

    Dan Marino might be an exception to the rule because he was the first QB to pass for 5,000 yards, but lets be honest with each other, he played a full career (17 seasons) and never won a Superbowl. That means he cracks under pressure. An elite Quarterback rises to the occasion and wins playoff games.


    But you say there's a difference between throwing for 5,000 yards in 1984 vs 2015. Please explain the difference. The field is 100 yards and you have four 15 minute quarters. There's still 11 men on the field. The ball is the same size. So how is it different?



    "da rules and regulations"
  • grYmes
    grYmes Diversify your bonds...Members Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Dan Marino wasn't an elite quarterback?



    Lmao ....🤬 and these stupid ass arbitrary formulas ....do you realize the difference between throwing for 5000 yards in 1985 and 2015?


    You know what ....never mind ...old ass dustball

    Dan Marino might be an exception to the rule because he was the first QB to pass for 5,000 yards, but lets be honest with each other, he played a full career (17 seasons) and never won a Superbowl. That means he cracks under pressure. An elite Quarterback rises to the occasion and wins playoff games.


    But you say there's a difference between throwing for 5,000 yards in 1984 vs 2015. Please explain the difference. The field is 100 yards and you have four 15 minute quarters. There's still 11 men on the field. The ball is the same size. So how is it different?

    Those Dolphins teams lacked an even above average D during Marino's time. Plus much like Elway until he got Terrell Davis, Marino was the man winning those games 95% of the time. He's still elite to me IMO. Manning has a 🤬 ton of one and done playoff appearances. As good as he is in the regular season & statistically he's not that great in the clutch category.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT .........Tell your mother she has a cute mouth #GIANTS #2014/2012/2010 #FUCK.KCMembers Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Dan Marino wasn't an elite quarterback?



    Lmao ....🤬 and these stupid ass arbitrary formulas ....do you realize the difference between throwing for 5000 yards in 1985 and 2015?


    You know what ....never mind ...old ass dustball

    Dan Marino might be an exception to the rule because he was the first QB to pass for 5,000 yards, but lets be honest with each other, he played a full career (17 seasons) and never won a Superbowl. That means he cracks under pressure. An elite Quarterback rises to the occasion and wins playoff games.


    But you say there's a difference between throwing for 5,000 yards in 1984 vs 2015. Please explain the difference. The field is 100 yards and you have four 15 minute quarters. There's still 11 men on the field. The ball is the same size. So how is it different?

    1.Dan Marino has more playoff wins than Drew Bree's


    2. Read and Learn something for once

    http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1006876-nfl-quarterbacks-break-records-but-have-passing-stats-become-meaningless

    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread141217/nfl-statistics-quarterbacks-devalued-era-favoring-offenses
  • Knightryder
    Knightryder Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lets give some shine to Vinny testaverde
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Illpix O.G. Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    grYmes wrote: »
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Dan Marino wasn't an elite quarterback?



    Lmao ....🤬 and these stupid ass arbitrary formulas ....do you realize the difference between throwing for 5000 yards in 1985 and 2015?


    You know what ....never mind ...old ass dustball

    Dan Marino might be an exception to the rule because he was the first QB to pass for 5,000 yards, but lets be honest with each other, he played a full career (17 seasons) and never won a Superbowl. That means he cracks under pressure. An elite Quarterback rises to the occasion and wins playoff games.


    But you say there's a difference between throwing for 5,000 yards in 1984 vs 2015. Please explain the difference. The field is 100 yards and you have four 15 minute quarters. There's still 11 men on the field. The ball is the same size. So how is it different?

    Those Dolphins teams lacked an even above average D during Marino's time. Plus much like Elway until he got Terrell Davis, Marino was the man winning those games 95% of the time. He's still elite to me IMO. Manning has a 🤬 ton of one and done playoff appearances. As good as he is in the regular season & statistically he's not that great in the clutch category.

    Plus after Duper and Clayton left, Marino didn't really have anyone to throw to.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2015
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Dan Marino wasn't an elite quarterback?



    Lmao ....🤬 and these stupid ass arbitrary formulas ....do you realize the difference between throwing for 5000 yards in 1985 and 2015?


    You know what ....never mind ...old ass dustball

    Dan Marino might be an exception to the rule because he was the first QB to pass for 5,000 yards, but lets be honest with each other, he played a full career (17 seasons) and never won a Superbowl. That means he cracks under pressure. An elite Quarterback rises to the occasion and wins playoff games.


    But you say there's a difference between throwing for 5,000 yards in 1984 vs 2015. Please explain the difference. The field is 100 yards and you have four 15 minute quarters. There's still 11 men on the field. The ball is the same size. So how is it different?


    this 🤬 can't be serious

    the rules today favors the passing game. theres only been 8 occurrences where a QB has thrown for over 5,000 YDS. it's happened 7 times since 08

    what does that tell you?
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Mash Out Posse Survivor Series '97Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marino was the first to throw for 5k yds in a season, also only rookie QB to bring his team to the Superbowl...

    I disagree with your metric, Brees is a product of the system Payton likes to run, he was not throwing for 5k yds in SD...

    Rule changes have made it more likely for QB's to throw for 5k yds in recent seasons...
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    OK, I concede that the rules have changed thus making it more difficult to hit the quarterback.

    However, the fact still remains that;

    1. Dan Marino had a 17 year career with no Superbowl ring. He went to the Superbowl in 1985 when he had that 5,000 yard passing season but lost to Joe Montana and the 49ers. You can't say that for the entire 17 years they never had a good defense. I think the reality is that some people 🤬 under pressure and others rise to the occasion. Dan Marino had a great season in 1984 and his record stood for over 20 years but alas, no ring.

    2. Out of all the Quarterbacks in the league, the fact remains that only 4 QBs have thrown for over 5,000 yards since 2008. So the question remains; how come more Quarterbacks haven't thrown for more than 5,000 yards?

    3. I have another way to measure Quarterbacks. Basically if you go to the Superbowl and win you get a point and if you go to the Superbowl and lose you get half a point.

    Tom Brady - 5 points
    Joe Montana - 4 points
    Terry Bradshaw - 4 points
    John Elway - 3 1/2 points
    Troy Aikman - 3 points
    Ben Roethlisberger - 2 1/2 points
    Jim Kelly - 2 points
    Peyton Manning - 2 points
    Eli Manning - 2 points
    Russell Wilson - 1 1/2 points
    Dan Marino - 1/2 point

    etc.

    Is that better?

    Problem is that it only works for a full career. It doesn't work when comparing somebody who's been in the league for 5 years to somebody with a 12-15 year career.


    Anyway, I still say that Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are elite Quarterbacks in that they are the only three Quarterbacks in the league that have a 5,000 yard passing season and a Superbowl ring. Thats an elite club and to deny that its an elite club is asinine.

    You can't call somebody elite simply because they won a Superbowl. Somebody wins the Superbowl every year and history has proven that some pretty average Quarterbacks have won Superbowls. They were just on the right team at the right time.
  • FlyFreeCt
    FlyFreeCt Members Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    OK, I concede that the rules have changed thus making it more difficult to hit the quarterback.

    However, the fact still remains that;

    1. Dan Marino had a 17 year career with no Superbowl ring. He went to the Superbowl in 1985 when he had that 5,000 yard passing season but lost to Joe Montana and the 49ers. You can't say that for the entire 17 years they never had a good defense. I think the reality is that some people 🤬 under pressure and others rise to the occasion. Dan Marino had a great season in 1984 and his record stood for over 20 years but alas, no ring.

    2. Out of all the Quarterbacks in the league, the fact remains that only 4 QBs have thrown for over 5,000 yards since 2008. So the question remains; how come more Quarterbacks haven't thrown for more than 5,000 yards?

    3. I have another way to measure Quarterbacks. Basically if you go to the Superbowl and win you get a point and if you go to the Superbowl and lose you get half a point.

    Tom Brady - 5 points
    Joe Montana - 4 points
    Terry Bradshaw - 4 points
    John Elway - 3 1/2 points
    Troy Aikman - 3 points
    Ben Roethlisberger - 2 1/2 points
    Jim Kelly - 2 points
    Peyton Manning - 2 points
    Eli Manning - 2 points
    Russell Wilson - 1 1/2 points
    Dan Marino - 1/2 point

    etc.

    Is that better?

    Problem is that it only works for a full career. It doesn't work when comparing somebody who's been in the league for 5 years to somebody with a 12-15 year career.


    Anyway, I still say that Drew Brees, Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are elite Quarterbacks in that they are the only three Quarterbacks in the league that have a 5,000 yard passing season and a Superbowl ring. Thats an elite club and to deny that its an elite club is asinine.

    You can't call somebody elite simply because they won a Superbowl. Somebody wins the Superbowl every year and history has proven that some pretty average Quarterbacks have won Superbowls. They were just on the right team at the right time.

    So you mean to tell me that Eli is 67 yards away from being an Elite QB?? Two rings, but fell 67 yards short of 5000 for a season, that means he's not elite??
  • 804
    804 RVAMembers Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I didn't know @5 Grand existed, and I already have zero respect for his football opinion now, smh
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    🤬 This thread.. T/s is turrible