What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Rihanna's Album 'Anti' Certified Platinum By The RIAA In 15 Hours After 1 Million Tidal Downloads

SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH EditorMembers, Moderators, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 45,666 Regulator
edited January 2016 in R&B & Alternatives
Rihanna's new album, "Anti," has already gone platinum just two days after it's release.

The singer partnered with Samsung, who gave away one million free download codes for the album, which was released January 27 exclusively on Tidal. Each of these downloads came with a 60-day free trial to the music streaming service.

Within 15 hours all of the codes had been used.

"1 MILLION in under 15 hrs!!!! NAVY R die!!!! Thank u to all my fans and @samsungmobileus," Riri wrote on her Twitter page.

riri.jpg

Jay Z used a similar strategy in 2013 when he released "Magna Carta Holy Grail" for free to one million Samsung users via digital download.

On Friday, January 29, the Recording Industry Association of America announced that "Anti" had been certified platinum.

Comments

• Karl.Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This ain't the same.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    wait till @GetoBoy says tidal won lol. 60 days from now a million less people gunna be signed up for tidal lol.
  • loch121loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's craaaaazy
  • lamontbdclamontbdc 16th & UMembers Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Gave away a million albums isn't the same as buying a million of them. Same 🤬 Jay-Z did off his last joint. 🤬 is wack, and fraudulent to me.

Yeah thats a far cry from the 90s when a million people used to drive to the store, take the CD off the shelf, walk to the counter and pay $11.99 for a CD.

How is a million downloads = a million people going to the store and paying $11.99?

$11.99 X 1,000,000 = $11,990,000 (which is pretty close to $12 Million)

How does a million downloads = $12 Million?

Only thing i can think of is Samsung had to purchase some of these albums from her label in order to give them away. But I'm sure they wouldn't have paid full price. I'm not sure how this is making a profit for the label.
  • LPastLPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's my girl...
  • Breezy_KilroyBreezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The traditional album selling model is outdated especially for most black artists.

Why would I put my album out just to see it fail to generate huge sales when I can sell it to a corporation and get all my money back and then some? You can't say "well back in my day" because times have changed. The avg person is not buying an album when they can easily get the 🤬 for free.

So as an artist it would be in my best interest to help myself when the consumer is obviously helping themselves.
  • illedoutilledout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They changing the game with the digital downloads.. This is good for the artists,
    I'm sure they get a check for the free downloads..
  • High RevolutionaryHigh Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rihanna is one of the few black artists that could legit go plat in this day and age though.
  • tompetrez3tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Microwave music. Jay Z and Rihanna should be ashamed of themselves. What a soulless way to make music knowing that you are crafting an album that 🤬 are not in the streets bumping, or in the stores excited about but sitting on they ass staring in a device streaming for free. and before you jigga 🤬 come in here and say they getting money i seriously doubt it. Samsung is the only one benefitting from this from a business standpoint. They hold the technology and distribution. They just treating her album like a large scale dat piff tape clicking off ad revenue and downloads. And if they did buy a million of anything they bought it wholesale. samsung not paying MSRP for a million copies of "nothing". And just the sheer audacity of Rihanna to brag about this after all them failed singles like BBHMM didnt come out in 2014. Why Jay Z cant do this for Cole or Jay Electronica who really needs it? Why other artists cant join the game with these "new rules". 🤬 Roc Nation
  • FosheezyFosheezy AKA Flying Wonders the Diamond Mind Members Posts: 3,204 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cheat code 🤬 this was straight Game Shark action
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jay gunna hold a concert next week saying tidal now has 2 million "users" since every download got a tidal trial.
  • ShizlanskyShizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You 🤬 don't even buy albums

Y'all stay crying about back in my day 🤬

Hell back in your day more black ppl was poorer than they are now too.

Back in your day black women wasn't the highest college graduate too

Back in your day 🤬 was destroying the black community.

Stop 🤬 🤬 and go "sip zinfandels in Chippendale's" like y'all idol.
  • SionSion Moderator, Legion of Trill, AHH Content Producer, AHH Editor Members, Moderators, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 45,666 Regulator
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Gave away a million albums isn't the same as buying a million of them. Same 🤬 Jay-Z did off his last joint. 🤬 is wack, and fraudulent to me.

Yeah thats a far cry from the 90s when a million people used to drive to the store, take the CD off the shelf, walk to the counter and pay $11.99 for a CD.

How is a million downloads = a million people going to the store and paying $11.99?

$11.99 X 1,000,000 = $11,990,000 (which is pretty close to $12 Million)

How does a million downloads = $12 Million?

who's gonna tell him there are various ways to purchase music in 2016?

Michael-Jordan-laughing.gif

LOOLOLOOOLOLOL