What's up everyone. We are doing a contest with T.I. and we are giving away $1200 a day for the next 10 days. Just wanted to give you all a heads up.
https://www.allhiphop.com/ti

Who Was The Last Rapper/Hip Hop Artist To REALLY Sell 1 Million Copies of Their CD?

5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited January 2016 in The Reason
In the Rihanna thread they said she sold 1 million downloads.

But does anybody know who the last rapper that actually sold 1 million copies of their CD in a brick and mortar store?

I'm talking U.S. sales.
«1

Comments

  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc 16th & UMembers Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    j cole that year he went up against Kanye? I'm straight guessing tho. Not sure if the streaming and downloads were being counted then
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Cole - 2014
    Em - 2013
    Drake - 2013
    Jay - 2013
    Kdot - 2012
    Wayne - 2011
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cole - 2014
    Em - 2013
    Drake - 2013
    Jay - 2013
    Kdot - 2012
    Wayne - 2011

    1. Did Jay really sell 1 million copies of MCHG or was it 1 million downloads? I remember there was a deal where you bought his app you'd get the album for free but I don't remember the details.

    2. So no rapper sold 1 million CDs in 2015?
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cole - 2014
    Em - 2013
    Drake - 2013
    Jay - 2013
    Kdot - 2012
    Wayne - 2011

    I think Yeezy sold a milli of MBDTF, took a few years tho
    Not sure if FHD sold a million hard copies
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I guess platinum is the new diamond
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drake´s been doing that for a while...
  • The Recipe
    The Recipe Members Posts: 10,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    So I guess platinum is the new diamond

    I said this awhile ago its kinds of like the way it was way back even further than you usually go back like the 50's and 60's again in the music industry when it comes to sells gold is the norm again. Btw CDs are dead companies probably dont even print a million physical copies anymore.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Cole - 2014
    Em - 2013
    Drake - 2013
    Jay - 2013
    Kdot - 2012
    Wayne - 2011

    1. Did Jay really sell 1 million copies of MCHG or was it 1 million downloads? I remember there was a deal where you bought his app you'd get the album for free but I don't remember the details.

    2. So no rapper sold 1 million CDs in 2015?

    besides the Samsung deal.

    sold 528,000 copies (Gold) in its first week, By Feb 2014 the album had sold 1,130,000.

    its been like 2yrs so its prob at like 1.5+ million or so
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Bronx, NY birthplace of hip-hopMembers Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    So I guess platinum is the new diamond

    It's getting close to that point, but not yet. Outside the big artists like Kanye, Wayne, Jay, Em, J. Cole, and a few others, going platinum is wild hard these days, even for great albums. But for some reason, most artists aren't connecting with people enough for them to want to buy a full album. I think it's because too many sound the same.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Bronx, NY birthplace of hip-hopMembers Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    mchg wrote: »
    Hova Da Gawd wit the 2013 AOTY aka MCHG
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2011 AOTY aka WTT
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2009 AOTY aka BP3
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2007 AOTY aka AG
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2006 AOTY aka KC
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2003 AOTY aka TBA
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2002 AOTY aka BP2
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2001 AOTY aka BP
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2000 AOTY aka Dynasty
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 1999 AOTY aka Vol 3
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 1998 AOTY aka Vol 2
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 1997 AOTY aka Vol 1
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 1996 AOTY aka RD

    It had never occurred b4 Hova Da Gawd's debut tho.

    What's your problem with Jay man? You always posting 🤬 like this, did Jay impregnate your ex?
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Co-Owner Of AllhipHop.com, Super Moderator, Administrator, Moderator Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Cole - 2014
    Em - 2013
    Drake - 2013
    Jay - 2013
    Kdot - 2012
    Wayne - 2011

    I think Yeezy sold a milli of MBDTF, took a few years tho
    Not sure if FHD sold a million hard copies

    MBDTF - Plat
    Yeezus - Gold

    FHD went Gold last month or this month not sure
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Bronx, NY birthplace of hip-hopMembers Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Cole - 2014
    Em - 2013
    Drake - 2013
    Jay - 2013
    Kdot - 2012
    Wayne - 2011

    I think Yeezy sold a milli of MBDTF, took a few years tho
    Not sure if FHD sold a million hard copies

    MBDTF - Plat
    Yeezus - Gold

    FHD went Gold last month or this month not sure

    The RIAA certified Yeezus platinum
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Cole - 2014
    Em - 2013
    Drake - 2013
    Jay - 2013
    Kdot - 2012
    Wayne - 2011

    I think Yeezy sold a milli of MBDTF, took a few years tho
    Not sure if FHD sold a million hard copies

    MBDTF - Plat
    Yeezus - Gold

    FHD went Gold last month or this month not sure

    The RIAA certified Yeezus platinum

    We talking strictly hard copies b...think E99 , GRODT, or Country Grammar era style sales

  • mchg
    mchg West PhillyMembers Posts: 190 ✭✭
    edited January 2016
    mchg wrote: »
    Hova Da Gawd wit the 2013 AOTY aka MCHG
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2011 AOTY aka WTT
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2009 AOTY aka BP3
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2007 AOTY aka AG
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2006 AOTY aka KC
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2003 AOTY aka TBA
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2002 AOTY aka BP2
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2001 AOTY aka BP
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 2000 AOTY aka Dynasty
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 1999 AOTY aka Vol 3
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 1998 AOTY aka Vol 2
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 1997 AOTY aka Vol 1
    B4 that it was Hova Da Gawd wit the 1996 AOTY aka RD

    It had never occurred b4 Hova Da Gawd's debut tho.

    What's your problem with Jay man? You always posting 🤬 like this, did Jay impregnate your ex?

    Hova Da Gawd's GOATly GOATness got yo period panties inna bunch like a mufuka :bawling:

    The Dynasty continues y'all die :bawling:

    Young! :bawling:
  • R.D.
    R.D. Members Posts: 20,156 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Cole - 2014
    Em - 2013
    Drake - 2013
    Jay - 2013
    Kdot - 2012
    Wayne - 2011

    I think Yeezy sold a milli of MBDTF, took a few years tho
    Not sure if FHD sold a million hard copies

    MBDTF - Plat
    Yeezus - Gold

    FHD went Gold last month or this month not sure

    The RIAA certified Yeezus platinum

    We talking strictly hard copies b...think E99 , GRODT, or Country Grammar era style sales

    That's not really fair or make sense

    An album bought is an album bought

    They not even putting CD players in cars anymore
  • Qiv_Owan
    Qiv_Owan Members Posts: 4,125 ✭✭✭✭✭
    R.D. wrote: »
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Qiv_Owan wrote: »
    Cole - 2014
    Em - 2013
    Drake - 2013
    Jay - 2013
    Kdot - 2012
    Wayne - 2011

    I think Yeezy sold a milli of MBDTF, took a few years tho
    Not sure if FHD sold a million hard copies

    MBDTF - Plat
    Yeezus - Gold

    FHD went Gold last month or this month not sure

    The RIAA certified Yeezus platinum

    We talking strictly hard copies b...think E99 , GRODT, or Country Grammar era style sales

    That's not really fair or make sense

    An album bought is an album bought

    They not even putting CD players in cars anymore

    Thats the og thread premise...he said store bought copies
    Hell E99 went diamond

    But u make sense tho


  • SELASI_i
    SELASI_i DARK VEDA KCMembers Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it has a lot to do with the format shift. People just aren't spending money on albums anymore because they don't have to. When cds and tapes was the only medium they sold because that was the only way you'd hear the album.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2016
    I swore that 🤬 Edgar Allen Poe had a book of poems that sold a milli by the early 1900s years after his death. He was the wale of his time getting all poetic with the bars.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker PISTOL GRIP PUMP IN MY LAP AT ALL TIMES Working On My LowriderMembers, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    No one buys cds at a store anymore
  • macadonwoo
    macadonwoo Members Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't Troy Ave sell a milli ?







    Lol..
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Parts Unknown via BrooklynMembers Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't K Dot and Drake go plat last year?
  • SheerExcellence
    SheerExcellence I'm Faceless Members Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cole - 2014
    Em - 2013
    Drake - 2013
    Jay - 2013
    Kdot - 2012
    Wayne - 2011

    Em sold a million of that 🤬 ? I haven't even heard it