What's up everybody! Just a quick message. We will be relaunching AllHipHop.com with the goal of keeping the community front and center. I have worked with Jamal and select moderators, to make sure The Illl Community's needs are being addressed as we evolve. We are encouraging you to use the new platform.

We will NOT be closing the current community, but we will be porting user data over to the new system over time, so please get used to using the new community!

We will be working on it every single day until it's exactly what you want!

Please feel free to join now, test, as we are in beta:

https://www.allhiphop.com

South Carolina Republican leader poses as a Confederate soldier with happy slaves

2»

Replies

  • Black CatBlack Cat Posts: 86
    edited September 2010
    wow. I wonder how much money they've paid them. smh
  • ra-mes1ra-mes1 Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Can't cue Nas...he's somewhere dissing Jesse Jackson, for being a champion of Nas' Civil Rights that he enjoys...

    Besides, I heard that the Black people there w/ McConnell are merely musicians of a group who've spent years dressing up that same way in Period garb, relative to their Gullah Cultural Preservation Society...in which they dress in garb of the post war period. Plus they tell stories and perform musically to celebrate, that Period, while preserving/educating others about the heritage.


    true story....just an unfortunate representation, circumstantially....I live down here now in Charleston. Gullah culture is kinda of a cross between "roots" and jamaica. Black middle class down here is not that prevelant, folks make a way whatever way they can....weaving baskets, or period music, etc etc.

    And charleston (and surrounding counties) as a whole loves its colonial heritage. It's just...different.
  • The Lonious MonkThe Lonious Monk Man with No Fucks Given Posts: 25,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    ra-mes1 wrote: »
    true story....just an unfortunate representation, circumstantially....I live down here now in Charleston. Gullah culture is kinda of a cross between "roots" and jamaica. Black middle class down here is not that prevelant, folks make a way whatever way they can....weaving baskets, or period music, etc etc.

    And charleston (and surrounding counties) as a whole loves its colonial heritage. It's just...different.

    Cool, I was hoping it was something like that.
    Niggas think that they own things and man sits high upon thrones
    But when you die, tell me what the fuck you own.
    When your skin, flesh, and bones find a permanent home
    as food for worms or fossils trapped in stone. - Rza in "What's Going On?"

    m63Y62.gif
  • ra-mes1ra-mes1 Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Cool, I was hoping it was something like that.

    it's a double edged sword. While historically I think Gullah culture is important to preserve (complete w/full language/dialect, very similar to caribbean patois), if folks don't know, it just looks like "a bunch of backward nigras."

    FYI Gullah is closely related to "geechee" ---which one people refer to depends on "whey dey from."

    And they were definitely playing "folk" music--the guy has a washboard over his shoulder

    At least I hope...I just re-read this sentence: "The picture found its way on the Internet dubbed "Slave Garb" and McConnell said everyone was wearing Civil War costumes, and it was an innocent moment among friends."

    Who knows. If that's not the case, I agree--at least the brother couldve tried to be from the 54th or something. :-/
  • busayobusayo Posts: 857
    edited September 2010
    ra-mes1 wrote: »
    true story....just an unfortunate representation, circumstantially....I live down here now in Charleston. Gullah culture is kinda of a cross between "roots" and jamaica. Black middle class down here is not that prevelant, folks make a way whatever way they can....weaving baskets, or period music, etc etc.

    And charleston (and surrounding counties) as a whole loves its colonial heritage. It's just...different.

    it makes one strange caption especially with the smiley faces
  • And StepAnd Step Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    ra-mes1 wrote: »
    it's a double edged sword. While historically I think Gullah culture is important to preserve (complete w/full language/dialect, very similar to caribbean patois), if folks don't know, it just looks like "a bunch of backward nigras."

    FYI Gullah is closely related to "geechee" ---which one people refer to depends on "whey dey from."

    And they were definitely playing "folk" music--the guy has a washboard over his shoulder

    At least I hope...I just re-read this sentence: "The picture found its way on the Internet dubbed "Slave Garb" and McConnell said everyone was wearing Civil War costumes, and it was an innocent moment among friends."

    Who knows. If that's not the case, I agree--at least the brother couldve tried to be from the 54th or something. :-/

    Clarence Thomas is from the Gullah right? I feel you and under stand your piece, but uh................fuck that. They still shouldn't have took the picture with a Confederate uniform wearing white boy.

    They knew better. That one nigga was smiling like he was posing for a Cream of Wheat box. Only thing missing was fried chicken and watermelon. Were they barefoot with banjos?
  • And StepAnd Step Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    Can't cue Nas...he's somewhere dissing Jesse Jackson, for being a champion of Nas' Civil Rights that he enjoys...

    Besides, I heard that the Black people there w/ McConnell are merely musicians of a group who've spent years dressing up that same way in Period garb, relative to their Gullah Cultural Preservation Society...in which they dress in garb of the post war period. Plus they tell stories and perform musically to celebrate, that Period, while preserving/educating others about the heritage.

    Hey now, Jesse dissed Barack. At least Nas was open with his.
  • And StepAnd Step Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2010
    I'm going to start a coon rental service. Fuck it, if we are gonna do it might as well get paid.

    1-800-I-C-A-COON
  • janklowjanklow god's lonely man. Posts: 8,538 Regulator
    edited September 2010
    And Step wrote: »
    Clarence Thomas is from the Gullah right?
    that is correct
  • busayobusayo Posts: 857
    edited September 2010
    And Step wrote: »
    Clarence Thomas is from the Gullah right? I feel you and under stand your piece, but uh................fuck that. They still shouldn't have took the picture with a Confederate uniform wearing white boy.

    They knew better. That one nigga was smiling like he was posing for a Cream of Wheat box. Only thing missing was fried chicken and watermelon. Were they barefoot with banjos?


    ha ha where are you going with this
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.